Hanna03

ANSWERED:What defines a "good lineage" in a dragon?

I haven't been active on dragon cave for a while until recently and have a few hundred dragons right now. I am now looking to breed for good lineage. But what exactly is that? How is it achieved? 

Thank you

~Hanna03

A good lineage is whatever you want it to be. Lineages are very, very subjective, some people like them to look a certain way while others like them different ways. Many people don't like inbreeding, although some do. There are many ways to make interesting and pretty lineages, but it really depends on what you think would look nice. This thread shows some of the different types of lineages to give you an idea of how many different things can be made:

It depends ENTIRELY what YOU want. Most people would call a purebred even gen lineage good; also a checker lineage. Ifyou are looking to trade, inbreddoing is less popular, though peoep like me create such lines on purpose:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/X8Gb0

I call her a good lineage. Others disagree. It is all terribly subjective.

Yes, lineage value is very subjective. But if you're looking to breed these lineages specifically for trading purposes, the majority seems to prefer non-inbred, non-messy, short lines (<5G or so). Checkers take more work to complete than stairs and spirals, but are more popular as a result. Having spriter's alts in the base is also something that people might look for. Rare/uncommon dragons (ex. Chrono Xenowyrm) will also trade for higher prices than commons (ex. Storm).

On the other hand, if you're breeding for yourself, just be creative. Coming up with new combinations is half the fun :)

Edited by The Dragoness

Other relatively valuable lineages are low generation (<4) Prize dragon (Tinsels or Shimmerscales) lineages, Thuwed dragons (or dragons who lineage contain dragons from TJ's scroll), and Dorkface lineages (I don't know the story behind these guys).

One time I would have added would be low generation Frill, Bright Pinks, and Holly lineages. However, with the reintroduction of the Frills, the return of Bright Pinks as Aria Dragons, and the addition of the limited time Holiday Biome to the Cave, that may no longer be true unless the dragons predate the changes. Even then, I'm not sure.

It's all pretty subjective though.

Edit: Also, sometimes, people will pay a hefty price for Z-code dragons (dragons whose codes start with the letter z) or dragons whose lineages are completely made up of unique codes or themed names. This, however, is extremely user-dependent, and will not be the case for the general player base.

Edited by Shokomon

Ah, Dorkfaces. They're all the offspring of Midas Dorkface (CB Gold) and Shallyna'ar (CB White), now renamed to "The Original Midas Dorkface" and "The Original Shallynaar". From what I heard, Midas is from before Influence was a thing - and their owner threatened to name her next CB Gold Dorkface if he dared to gender male like her others.

Also, there's low-level HM lines (from female holly, CB hybrids/alts...) that can be quite valuable.