Cinspawn

Shard Specifics (Market Place)

With the introduction of the Market, we have a new mechanic to play around with: shards! They're currency you can earn by playing the game, and with it you can buy eggs in the Market. 

Some people were wondering, how many shards do you get exactly for what action? And that's what this thread is for, to report new findings on shards, discuss them, and to have a list with all shard-related actions. :D

CONFIRMED:
Getting an egg from the cave: +5 shards
Hatching an egg: +3 shards
Growing up a hatchling: +3 shards
Breeding an egg: +2 shards
Getting an egg from the AP: +1 shard
Using any common BSA: +0 shards
Failed breeding: +0 shards
Freezing hatchling: +0 shards
Trading a dragon: +0 shards

Naming a dragon: +0 shards

YET TO BE CONFIRMED:
Using the Expunge BSA
Summoning a Guardian of Nature

Entering the monthly raffles

Gaining badges (e.g. the magikarp one)

Killing dragons - or reviving them

Detailed Information
Breeding

• Breeding a multi-clutch will only give shards for one egg (so 2 shards total, no matter how many in the clutch)
  • Failed breedings, whether refusal or no interest, yield 0 shards.

Actions

• So far, it seems that BSA's do not reward shards. Actions tested: Enrage, Ward, Incubate, Fertility, Influence, Splash, Bite
  • Freezing, Naming, Describing or Killing a dragon does not reward shards.
  • Summoning a Sinomorph does not reward shards.
  • Trading a dragon (one way or two way) does not reward shards.
Edited by Cinspawn

I got 30 shards for picking up 6 new releases from the cave, so I'm betting that getting an egg from the cave is 5 shards each.

Do you think breeding multi-clutches (e.g. from Holidays or Celestials) increases the amount of shards you get by the number of eggs you breed? (so 4/4 eggs would equal 8 shards)

I'd try myself but I already 100%'ed myself for the week by doing a massbreed. ;-; 

My suggestions for Cinspawn's list:

Using the BSAs: expunge ward

Reviewing User Descriptions

Entering the monthly raffles

Gaining badges (e.g. the magikarp one)

Freezing dragons

Killing dragons - or reviving them

'Enrage' BSA for Aegis'? I doubt this one'll give shards but its a thought

To add to trading, gifting.

Also to be confirmed:

Filling up your Dragon Encyclopedia entries (? shards)

Edited by lovecats99

I'll add them, thank you all for helping!

I believe "ward" has already been confirmed to give 0 shards, I'm not sure about Expunge and I can't try myself. But I believe most common BSA's don't give any shards.

EDIT: @lovecats99 wait, where has it been confirmed that filling up your encyclopedia gives shards? how many? I'm confused since you don't know the exact shards XD

Edited by Cinspawn

I can confirm that breeding a multi-clutch through Celestials, despite number of eggs bred will only give the normal 2 shards total, not per egg bred.

mdkufWI.jpg -  Before I bred my two Celestials, the first clutch produced 1 egg the second 3 eggs.

agjKmet.jpg - The three eggs

bZJ2Wbf.jpg - After breeding the two Celestials

Edited by Fateweaver

11 minutes ago, Cinspawn said:

EDIT: @lovecats99 wait, where has it been confirmed that filling up your encyclopedia gives shards? how many? I'm confused since you don't know the exact shards XD

I sorta saw it being referred to in the Birthday Thread but I think i'll put that bit in the 'to be confirmed' part of my post to be confirmed by other users just to be sure. XD Maybe people were referring to the new trading area rather than the market?

Edited by lovecats99

Alright, I'll add all the new info and update the first post in a little while, thank you all for helping! Keep 'em coming :D

I HOPE encyclopedia doesn't count as I have almost filled mine anyway !

I THINK a dragon growing up gets 3, as I have 143 shards, 8 new eggs from the cave and the only other thing that changed was that a hatchie grew up after midnight.

And incubate and influence nothing.

my hatchlings will grow within 5 hours, i'll check how many shards i'll get :P 

19 minutes ago, meruru said:

my hatchlings will grow within 5 hours, i'll check how many shards i'll get :P 

Awesome, thanks!

I've added all in the thread so far, and I've tested incubate, enrage, describe, and freeze: no shards.
I've also played around in the Encyclopedia, since mine isn't that filled, and I didn't get any shards. But I have to make a note that I don't entirely understand how the Encyclopedia works :s cause sometimes it says "View one more adult to unlock this image" and when I do, the image doesn't get unlocked.. But yeah.

I can almost kill again for my zombie fodders, in a few minutes, so then I can try the kill action. I'll also test out trading with someone.

EDIT: Neither a succesfull nor an unsuccesfull Kill yields shards. I only tested adults, but pretty sure it won't work for hatchlings either. I also tested a two-way trade with someone, and no shards there, either. I don't think any trading yields shards, but correct me if I'm wrong!

I can test Revive on the 31st, but I highly doubt it'll give shards. I don't think ANY action or BSA so far has given shards.

Edited by Cinspawn

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I THINK a dragon growing up gets 3, as I have 143 shards, 8 new eggs from the cave and the only other thing that changed was that a hatchie grew up after midnight.

I also have 143 shards after adopting 8 new eggs und one hatchie growing up, so I'd say it's true that hatchie grows up == 3 shards.

1 hour ago, Cinspawn said:

I can test Revive on the 31st, but I highly doubt it'll give shards. I don't think ANY action or BSA so far has given shards.

I tried revive and can confirm that at least unsuccessful revive gives no shards.

I've been doing some reviewing and haven't gained any shards from it. I've done around 20 or 30; it's still possible you could get some after reviewing a larger number, but I think it's unlikely.

Another hatchie grew up and I got another 3 shards. I think that's pretty conclusive.

I have named several dragons without any effect.

Question: If picking up an egg from the AP gains a shard, does abandoning an egg cost a shard?

Edited by Laura-Lana

15 minutes ago, Laura-Lana said:

Question: If picking up an egg from the AP gains a shard, does abandoning an egg cost a shard?

Interesting question! I don't have anything I want to abandon right now to test it, but all the eggs I bred today auto-abandoned and I got my 2 shards anyway, so I expect it won't cost anything. Hopefully.

Personally I do hope it will cost a shard when it's done intentional. Too easy to abuse the system otherwise. Or to be seen as abusing it. I know how many eggs I pick up only to reabandon during holiday breedings until I settle on one that I want to keep. It's the only way to search for the lineages I need. On the other hand there is a 100 point limit per week so maybe I worry for nothing.

20 minutes ago, Laura-Lana said:

Personally I do hope it will cost a shard when it's done intentional. Too easy to abuse the system otherwise. Or to be seen as abusing it. I know how many eggs I pick up only to reabandon during holiday breedings until I settle on one that I want to keep. It's the only way to search for the lineages I need. On the other hand there is a 100 point limit per week so maybe I worry for nothing.

This, rather. I know I dumped about 50 the other day looking for Slimeridges :)

Reviewing user descriptions yields nothing (besides the usual fun to have with the especially witty ones, of course)

Are shards weighed in grams?

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I just tested summoning a Sinomorph and it doesn't give any shards. Also, abandoning AP eggs doesn't take away any shards. I tried it while waiting to get new releases last night, was picking up and abandoning lots, and I only gained shards and not lost any.

1 hour ago, Laura-Lana said:

I have named several dragons without any effect.

I can confirm that re-abandoning the same egg does not make you lose that shard.

But this is hardly a problem with the 100 shard cap in place. :)

Thanks for the updates all, added to the first post!

well you guys beat me to it lol, my hatchlings grew up and i got 3 shards for each hatchling