TJ09

Notifications Feedback

TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

Message added by TJ09

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Although, someone not responding to a trade offer does not automatically mean that it's because they haven't seen the notification. They may have seen it and decided to wait and see if they got a better offer, or are unsure they want that specific offered thing, maybe even second-guessing if they actually want to trade away the thing they put up in the first place.... Plenty of different reasons. I often leave an offer sitting for awhile if it's only semi-messy and I want to see if anyone offers anything more messy... I'd be very very annoyed to have some huge notification reminding me of that offer every single time I go to my scroll page. 

I don't think so. The egg eventually hatched (I suspect that after I posted people went to look at it, as before I did so, it was running at 1 view 1 UV) and the trade collapsed.They wanted a bloodswap, which was exactly what I had offered - how "better" can one get ? If the notification went away when one had clicked on it, then ?

Edited by Fuzzbucket

14 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

They HAVE been on line at least once; they have caught an egg since I offered. They may have been in a hurry - if I don't have a trade up I don't check my bell button regularly - and from posts here we know some people don't know what that bell is for.

I have also had trades where I was able to PM people who had also been using their scrolls and not responded. One even said OMG I'd completely forgotten I had that up there.

Even if it wouldn't help me this time, I think it would be worth having such notifications.

11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'd really rather not have a huge glaring notification every single time something happens in a trade I'm involved in. The sickness warning is large and in-your-face and rather annoying as it is (I fogged the dang thing, stop shouting at me!) I certainly don't want more of those! If people don't notice the bell, I'd think the better solution would be the make the bell itself a bit more visible, maybe instead of it just being white-filled when there is a new notification it could be some other color? All the text around it is white, after all (at least on the default scroll skin), so the white-filled possibly blends in more then some other fill-color would. 

Although, someone not responding to a trade offer does not automatically mean that it's because they haven't seen the notification. They may have seen it and decided to wait and see if they got a better offer, or are unsure they want that specific offered thing, maybe even second-guessing if they actually want to trade away the thing they put up in the first place.... Plenty of different reasons. I often leave an offer sitting for awhile if it's only semi-messy and I want to see if anyone offers anything more messy... I'd be very very annoyed to have some huge notification reminding me of that offer every single time I go to my scroll page. 

Personally, I think that a glaring notification of "You have an offer on your trade(s): link1, link2, link3" would be one line for pretty much all your open trades, and stay visible whenever you have something offered on a trade. I think, between this glaring line reminding you of this and having someone else sit on an egg they don't need for days on end, the line of text is the lesser of two evils. Putting up a trade and letting someone hope for the trade to go through, only to go "trollololol!" or "oops, forgot about that" is a major annoyance and actually game-affecting, while a line of text is only one of those things. Plus, if you cannot be bothered to either accept or decline, it's on you - not the other person. (Just my .02$ on the matter.)

Accepts the .02$ and puts up a whole .05$ in addition.

I MIGHT have managed to find an alternative trade; as it is, my pretty egg went to someone who just fancied a red dorsal of any kind, and I ended up with some freezable messies.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

16 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'd really rather not have a huge glaring notification every single time something happens in a trade I'm involved in. The sickness warning is large and in-your-face and rather annoying as it is (I fogged the dang thing, stop shouting at me!) I certainly don't want more of those! If people don't notice the bell, I'd think the better solution would be the make the bell itself a bit more visible, maybe instead of it just being white-filled when there is a new notification it could be some other color? All the text around it is white, after all (at least on the default scroll skin), so the white-filled possibly blends in more then some other fill-color would. 

Definitely agree with making the bell more visible at the very least. A while back I needed a Chrono Xenowyrm egg but by the time I realised that I had a notification the the egg that was offered had already hatched. The person re-offered the hatchling and I accepted hoping it would gender right but it didn't

8 hours ago, olympe said:

Personally, I think that a glaring notification of "You have an offer on your trade(s): link1, link2, link3" would be one line for pretty much all your open trades, and stay visible whenever you have something offered on a trade. I think, between this glaring line reminding you of this and having someone else sit on an egg they don't need for days on end, the line of text is the lesser of two evils. Putting up a trade and letting someone hope for the trade to go through, only to go "trollololol!" or "oops, forgot about that" is a major annoyance and actually game-affecting, while a line of text is only one of those things. Plus, if you cannot be bothered to either accept or decline, it's on you - not the other person. (Just my .02$ on the matter.)

I'd much rather have something a little less in-your-face, like a different colored notification bell or something... Yes, it's annoying when someone doesn't respond to an offer for awhile, but there is no reason to yell at them for it (which is, honestly, what such an in-your-face notification that refuses to go away would be doing). It's often not done maliciously; As I stated, sometimes I'm honestly just waiting to see if I get a better offer, and if I don't in a few hours I'll accept that one (I'm rather impatient so I won't leave it too long either way). It's a good idea to make it a bit more noticeable for people who honestly have *forgotten* about the offer (or didn't notice it in the first place), but I see no reason to piss off the people who are just waiting to see what else gets offered before making a decision, which is not actually a Bad Thing to do. It's not in any way against the rules to let an offer sit for a little while. (And, honestly, it's completely the offerer's choice if they want to wait for the person to take action, or if they decide it's been long enough and they want to offer the egg somewhere else. An offerer doesn't *have* to wait around forever if it's annoying them that much.)

It's not yelling. It's just information. You hate the sickness one as well - but I don't know anyone else who does. It needn't be any more obtrusive than that - and a great big red bell would be far uglier.

I am watching the hatchie I didn't get to see if its owner ever shows up to trade it  again :(

Sure wait - but if you actually FORGET you have a trade up there.... You mention a few hours - this was FOUR DAYS, having been offered exactly what was asked for, and the egg hatched. No-one else was offering what I wanted - and no-one has done so since. Nor did anyone offer when I looked for a bloodswap for the one I'd bred for that trade.

Yes, it would be nice/helpful to have something for if you genuinely forget there was an offer.... Perhaps if an offer sits for more then a certain amount of time a reminder-notification shows up? A new notification would trigger the filled-bell again, which would make it more likely for the person to see it and be reminded of the offer. I'd much rather a simple reminder notification then a big huge note that won't go away, and it would accomplish the same thing I'd think. Especially if the bell was changed to be a different color instead of just white that blends in with all the white text. My point is that while it'd be great to have a reminder if you genuinely forget, there are ways to do that without annoying people with a big thing that won't go away. The 'won't go away' is my biggest issue; I see it, I'm reminded I have the offer there, that's great, I really don't need to keep seeing a huge notification every single time I go to my scroll. I've been reminded, and that's enough.

I could imagine people not even looking at the bell if they're not aware they could get notifications at the moment... Which is why I'd prefer single line on the scroll page. (Not in all caps, because yelling, but still...)

I'm with olympe. A single line is REALLY hard to miss.

Well, just today I realised I've had a notification for maybe like a week, because I didn't realise white was the colour for the notification instead of just transparent. I think a more helpful notification would be maybe a red dot on the side of the bell. Red dots are typical for notifications across a lot of apps and websites - even the notification bell on the forums here. That'd make a lot more sense than it being white, and isn't as obtrusive as a huge banner (which I think should have a dismiss option because I find it annoying as well) because I seriously didn't even know it was white until I read through this thread ^^"

The sickness warning is hardly a "huge banner"...

I have missed most of the notifications I have gotten until I already accepted the offer. XD 

I really do hate the in-your-face sickness banner, but mostly because you can't get rid of it once you have fogged your sick creature. But a more noticeable symbol for notifications would be welcome because it would go away once you had read the notification -- at least I assume it would since the white bell goes back to an outline once you have clicked on it to read the notification. 

Edited by purplehaze

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

I really do hate the in-your-face sickness banner, but mostly because you can't get rid of it once you have fogged your sick creature. But a more noticeable symbol for notifications would be welcome because it would go away once you had read the notification. 

Well, it has its uses even when you have your little ones fogged. Because it tells you when they're fine again by its absence, so you get a good idea of when you can unfog them safely. :) 

And, yes, having the white bell only for unread notifications instead of "still valid" notifications (still existing offers on your trade(s), ability to enter the raffle if you haven't done so already...). So, yes, a change here would probably be helpful. I'm still not sure the bell is noticeable enough for everyone, though.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I have missed most of the notifications I have gotten until I already accepted the offer. XD 

I really do hate the in-your-face sickness banner, but mostly because you can't get rid of it once you have fogged your sick creature. But a more noticeable symbol for notifications would be welcome because it would go away once you had read the notification -- at least I assume it would since the white bell goes back to an outline once you have clicked on it to read the notification. 

I wouldn't mind a more obvious notification or even banner about an offer, as long as it GOES AWAY once you've clicked it (yeah I hate that about the sickness one as well). Multiple people in this thread seemed to be talking about a large banner that would not go away until you either decline or accept the offer, which I very very much do not support. 

(I also do not think it is at all helpful that the sickness banner stays even after you've fogged them, because while it finally going away means that the dragon isn't technically sick anymore that does *not* mean that it's actually safe to unfog or allow it to get views again without immediately getting sick again, so it really does seem useless for it to stay there after you've already taken action..... But I digress.)

11 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I also do not think it is at all helpful that the sickness banner stays even after you've fogged them, because while it finally going away means that the dragon isn't technically sick anymore that does *not* mean that it's actually safe to unfog or allow it to get views again without immediately getting sick again, so it really does seem useless for it to stay there after you've already taken action....

Well, of course. But if the banner goes away after one hour of fogging, you can be pretty sure that it's safe to unfog the egg after half a day up to a full day - unless you were being viewbombed, of course. If, however, the banner stays for over a day, you'd better only unfog the egg to hatch it - and fog the hatchling ASAP.

I actually quite like it. It reminds me about things.