TJ09

Market Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

Users 'sell' eggs and hatchies by trading, there's really not much reason for that to happen through the Market as well. Especially because of the 100-shard-per-week cap, it's not like selling would gain you some big shard advantage or anything. (How would that even work, if you are already at the cap and then you sell something would you just not receive the payment because you are already at the limit??)

I'm not sure... I just thought that would be cool instead of getting rid of dragons you don't want for other dragons, you get some shards. There could be a weekly/ monthly limit for how many you sell and how much you earn. For example, selling something CB and rare would cap you for a month (and have its price limited below the market price) but something common would barely touch your crystal limit. It's not like those crystals came from nowhere. Everyone is working to get crystals and buying and selling. 

Maybe the the currency for user shops and computer shops would be different?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No. No no no. One thing that was agreed by - IIRC - everyone in the thread fleshing out the market idea was that they MUST not be tradeable, to prevent people using it for even more heavy market manipulation, as has happened for ages with prizes. If you are actually suggesting selling them for MONEY off the site - that is even more unthinkable. One thing TJ has always said - and I think one place where it is OK to say "TJ said" - is that there will never be anything involving real money in this game. It is free for all, and even the poorest among us can play it to the full. That must never change.

I'd absolutely hate having real money implemented into dragon cave. I didn't mean that. 

As I said in my other more recent post, I think having separate currency for each shop (no transfers, no buying with "user shop currency) would really help with manipulation. I'm not saying this is a great idea, it's just a thought.

then again, I'm just a new member of dragon cave and I wouldn't know what could work and what could destroy everything. Maybe user shops could ruin people's genourosity or kindness to dragons?

Edited by Quackery-

For me, I still see (g) instead of the shard symbol the on Safari mobile. 

There is a piece of me that feel slightly vindicated that people are having as much of an issue using the Market due to the "egg lock" (that's what I'm calling it now) as I am using the Trading Hub. For me, it doesn't bother me as I see the market as a pure game construct, and thus, more bound to encyclopedia (to prevent spoilers), rather than user driven platform like the Trading Hub (where you are interacting with other users.)

Time to stalk hatcheries, and hope I come across the eggs I never see in the cave.

As for suggestions for the Market, I like the way it is set up right now. Though, I would like a game we can play to earn more shards. I feel like I don't do enough on the sight to hit the limit weekly. A game like Mana Alchemy would make it easier. 

3 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

For me, I still see (g) instead of the shard symbol the on Safari mobile. 

You need to clear your cache.

That will help your browser pick up the symbol.

17 minutes ago, Quackery- said:

I'd absolutely hate having real money implemented into dragon cave. I didn't mean that. 

As I said in my other more recent post, I think having separate currency for each shop (no transfers, no buying with "user shop currency) would really help with manipulation. I'm not saying this is a great idea, it's just a thought.

then again, I'm just a new member of dragon cave and I wouldn't know what could work and what could destroy everything. Maybe user shops could ruin people's genourosity or kindness to dragons?

What do you mean by the "computer shop" exactly - I may be misunderstanding you.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What do you mean by the "computer shop" exactly - I may be misunderstanding you.

Sorry I didn't know what to call it. I mean the shop we have in place now

I'm pretty happy with the way the Market is set up right now, though I would appreciate the biome based alts getting added in.

Regarding whether people do enough, I can foresee (but can't say for sure) that some playstyles might throttle weekly shard income. For people building their scrolls who constantly pick up CBs, people who are always working on several lineages, etc, they'll likely never fall below the weekly cap. Basically if you're egglocked almost 24/7, you're very likely to hit the cap. Might not work as well for players who have very specific scroll goals or only work with very specific lineages that don't move quickly.

Again, can't speak for sure because we've not even had the feature for 24 hours, nor do I think it will necessarily be a problem. Just a thought.

4 minutes ago, Fjord said:

Again, can't speak for sure because we've not even had the feature for 24 hours, nor do I think it will necessarily be a problem. Just a thought.

Yeah, I agree. We haven't had the feature very long so we can't really complain.

12 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

There is a piece of me that feel slightly vindicated that people are having as much of an issue using the Market due to the "egg lock" (that's what I'm calling it now) as I am using the Trading Hub. For me, it doesn't bother me as I see the market as a pure game construct, and thus, more bound to encyclopedia (to prevent spoilers), rather than user driven platform like the Trading Hub (where you are interacting with other users.)

Time to stalk hatcheries, and hope I come across the eggs I never see in the cave.

I discovered after I made my first post here that this applies to the trading hub as well, which really makes no sense to me. The eggs I don't have are the ones I would most want to trade for! In fact, I was trying to use it to view some of the eggs I don't have, in order to unlock them in the market.

I don't really like the excuse of "preventing spoilers." I have the adults unlocked! That should automatically unlock the eggs, or at least unlock the species in the Market and Trade Hub. I also don't really see how it's a spoiler to know what an egg looks like. The surprise (if you can even count it as one) is seeing the adult.

It's been a minor annoyance from the implementation of the Encyclopedia that it doesn't retroactively count creatures that you've raised/seen, but now it's impacting gameplay. I'd really like to see it fixed. (I'd also love if it had an accurate count of the dragons I own, instead of just counting the ones I've collecting post-Encyclopedia. That info is attached to my scroll anyway, so it seems like it would be easy to update.)

9 minutes ago, Fjord said:

I'm pretty happy with the way the Market is set up right now, though I would appreciate the biome based alts getting added in.

Regarding whether people do enough, I can foresee (but can't say for sure) that some playstyles might throttle weekly shard income. For people building their scrolls who constantly pick up CBs, people who are always working on several lineages, etc, they'll likely never fall below the weekly cap. Basically if you're egglocked almost 24/7, you're very likely to hit the cap. Might not work as well for players who have very specific scroll goals or only work with very specific lineages that don't move quickly.

While that is true in theory, there are simple ways to hit that cap even if you don't want to just collect tons of dragons. You get shards for successful breedings, for example, so technically you could hit the cap by breeding tons without actually raising anything at all. Also, the cap is so low that even if you aren't constantly locked it's still fairly easy to reach.... So far it seems that grabbing a biome egg earns 5 shards, hatching an egg gets 3 shards, and raising to adult gets 3 shards... That's 11 shards for one dragon caught and raised to maturity. Which means you need to raise less then 10 dragons a week to hit that cap. 

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

While that is true in theory, there are simple ways to hit that cap even if you don't want to just collect tons of dragons. You get shards for successful breedings, for example, so technically you could hit the cap by breeding tons without actually raising anything at all. Also, the cap is so low that even if you aren't constantly locked it's still fairly easy to reach.... So far it seems that grabbing a biome egg earns 5 shards, hatching an egg gets 3 shards, and raising to adult gets 3 shards... That's 11 shards for one dragon caught and raised to maturity. Which means you need to raise less then 10 dragons a week to hit that cap. 

You're absolutely correct, I was speaking in more edge cases. But again, I don't think it will be a problem at all, I was more or less just musing.

14 minutes ago, Fjord said:

I know that there are people who collect a limited number of each breed.  Maybe they are not interested in breeding eggs to send to AP, though that isn't a bad idea. I do know there are people who do very little between releases. It has occurred to me that one thing that can be done is to "adopt" someone newer who has no trophy or a low level one.  Catch eggs for them and even hatch  them, then send the hatchies for them to grow up.  They can concentrate on getting eggs.  It won't take long for them to  achieve a higher trophy level and be able to progress faster.  Both sides  gain.  

I do have one big question.... @TJ09, care to clarify? It seems we earn 1 shard for grabbing an egg from the AP..... Do we lose that shard if we abandon said egg? If not, is that an intended behavior? For those of us who grab-and-toss from the AP constantly, it would be ridiculously easy to hit that 100 cap simply from grabbing and tossing AP eggs for like a half hour. I get that shards aren't necessarily supposed to be hard to earn, but that seems a little excessive.

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I do have one big question.... @TJ09, care to clarify? It seems we earn 1 shard for grabbing an egg from the AP..... Do we lose that shard if we abandon said egg? If not, is that an intended behavior? For those of us who grab-and-toss from the AP constantly, it would be ridiculously easy to hit that 100 cap simply from grabbing and tossing AP eggs for like a half hour. I get that shards aren't necessarily supposed to be hard to earn, but that seems a little excessive.

Personally, it makes no sense to me to take it away. I know it's too easy, but whatever right?

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I highly doubt it. I didn’t lose any shards when my bred eggs auto-abandoned, so I seriously doubt it.

Yeah, I figured we probably wouldn't lose the shard, it just seemed a bit strange to me that you can easily hit that max by simply rapidly grabbing and tossing eggs. Doesn't really matter, it's not like I *want* shards to be hard to earn, I'm just curious.

38 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

I discovered after I made my first post here that this applies to the trading hub as well, which really makes no sense to me. The eggs I don't have are the ones I would most want to trade for! In fact, I was trying to use it to view some of the eggs I don't have, in order to unlock them in the market.

I don't really like the excuse of "preventing spoilers." I have the adults unlocked! That should automatically unlock the eggs, or at least unlock the species in the Market and Trade Hub. I also don't really see how it's a spoiler to know what an egg looks like. The surprise (if you can even count it as one) is seeing the adult.

It's been a minor annoyance from the implementation of the Encyclopedia that it doesn't retroactively count creatures that you've raised/seen, but now it's impacting gameplay. I'd really like to see it fixed. (I'd also love if it had an accurate count of the dragons I own, instead of just counting the ones I've collecting post-Encyclopedia. That info is attached to my scroll anyway, so it seems like it would be easy to update.)

I agree with you. This is why I pointed this out at the Trading Hub. I agree if we have the adults unloced we should get access to the eggs.

Though I still argue that a lock at all completely unnecessary for the Trading Hub.

Let's us hope it does change.

It feels a small bit like this thing might kill DC? Maybe not if we keep prices high, but won't everyone just get the rates around the same time? Then we just have periods where the price spikes and nobody will want to get those eggs cause they become very common. Sorry if that's hard to understand. 

1 minute ago, Quackery- said:

It feels a small bit like this thing might kill DC? Maybe not if we keep prices high, but won't everyone just get the rates around the same time? Then we just have periods where the price spikes and nobody will want to get those eggs cause they become very common. Sorry if that's hard to understand. 

But not everyone will be working towards the same things, so it's not like in (some number) of months every single person will suddenly be able to buy a CB Gold. I've seen multiple people talking about wanting to buy a common each week instead of saving for the rares. And the rare prices are high enough that it's still generally a lot faster/easier to try grabbing one yourself, or try trading for one (there are constantly trades offering CB Golds, for example, so if you happen to have what's asked for why would you wait to buy it in 9-odd months?). This was talked about a lot in the suggestion thread for this idea (it was called 'Traders Canyon' for awhile), the general thought is that being able to buy 1 CB Gold a year isn't going to significantly screw with rarity. Especially since not everyone will be buying those, and not at the same time.

1 hour ago, Quackery- said:

Sorry I didn't know what to call it. I mean the shop we have in place now

In that case my apologies for several posts !

6 minutes ago, Quackery- said:

I cannot see this killing DC. MOST people don't play in order to trade, they play to build their scrolls, breed and so on. I don't care that golds are rare; I do care that I need another 3 to complete my base collection of them. That's all.

24 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yeah, I figured we probably wouldn't lose the shard, it just seemed a bit strange to me that you can easily hit that max by simply rapidly grabbing and tossing eggs. Doesn't really matter, it's not like I *want* shards to be hard to earn, I'm just curious.

Breeding dragons every week seems like a much faster way to max it, compared to grabbing and tossing eggs.

2 hours ago, TCA said:

Idea: What if biome-specific breeds were in the shop, and only one specific variant is available at any given time? Want a different one? Wait for the shop to rotate stock, or go hunt in the cave. It could even be set up to display variants as if current biome was, say, Volcano for 3 days, then Coast for 3 days, etc. If a breed doesn't have variants for that biome, like Pyrals on Forest day, it could go out of stock until its variant biomes are up.

I think this is another excellent idea to solve our problem regarding biome-specific breeds. (And don't forget pyralspites here - because they're missing, too.) 

1 hour ago, Fjord said:

Unless you really don't play at all, you should get your shards.

Now, I already have 40 shards for this week. All I did is catch 8 eggs, so it's 5 shards per egg caught. Plus 3 more for hatching an egg, 3 more for raising a hatchling, giving me a full 88 shards for taking full care of one batch of eggs. Someone else mentioned getting 1 shard for every AP egg picked up - even if they abandoned it afterwards. Seriously, I don't see it as an issue. And if you cannot be bothered to do that much in a week - well, it's your choice, really. Even if you don't want to raise any dragons, simply catch dragons in the biomes, abandon them to the AP 5 hours later, rinse, repeat. Or do it once a day, whichever. It'll only take 20 eggs to reach the weekly cap.

Edited by olympe

1 minute ago, Genjar said:

Breeding dragons every week seems like a much faster way to max it, compared to grabbing and tossing eggs.

That's true, since breeding does give more shards. I was just thinking how it will be for people like me who routinely grab/toss in the AP anyways... I don't breed too much, but I can easily go through 100 eggs a day in the AP looking for the right lineages. (And this is where I'd love a 'pony', aka a dream-feature that would never actually happen, of being able to choose how to earn shards. Like, I'd rather feel like I actually *earned* my shards, rather then just maxing out because I'm grabbing and tossing eggs. But that's just me!)

4 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@Kegluneq Having to choose between buying a bunch of cheap things or one big expensive thing is exactly how currency works, haha. If people could get everything then it’d basically be automatically dispensing a CB Gold to every user every 40 weeks or so. Obviously there’s wiggle room for how high things should be priced, but it makes perfect sense that you have to pick one thing or the other to focus on. And with shard collecting—not sure if you saw the original market suggestion thread, but the majority of us were adamantly AGAINST allowing grinding. The cave already heavily favors those with a ton of time (via letting them sit in the cave hunting), so having a currency was a nice way to let us working stiffs have a more stable, time-management-friendly way to get goodies, even if it takes much longer. If grinding was a thing then those with more time would again easily outpace those with less. Again, though, there’s room for debate on how much should be earnable  in a week, but I like the caps.

That's obvious, if I want something expensive I have to wait to get it; but I thought the market would help people to obtain stuff that's hard for them to get yet I see Albinos available. Or at least that's what I understood when I read the announcement of the market. I didn't know the majority in the original market discussion were against grinding, I disagree but I respect their position; in my case, sometimes I have plenty of time to sit on my computer to try to catch stuff I like to keep for myself, but most of the times I end up catching nice stuff (to me) but not what I'm really after. That's why I would like to be able to grind shards or to have different kinds of shards to buy either common, uncommon or rare eggs.