TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

Can we have the option to show more trades / page?  I am not sure what's a good number, maybe 50 or 100?

20 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I believe this cannot fly because of TJ's real life job. I can't find his post but it was quite specific.

I'd like an official source that answers the following question:

Why are we allowed to PM each other on the forums and use that to trade on-site, but not mention that already existing PM-system on-site?
Basically we are allowed to do it one way, but not the other way around, and that just doesn't make sense to me.

I really would like TJ to give us some insight on this.

Here's my last, more detailed post about it from a while ago (that, as far as I'm concerned, did not get an answer from TJ):

The forum is not a part of the cave site. They are two separate sites, whether you like it or not. And TJ said quite specifically that he cannot allow communication between members on the Cave site - which includes linking to the forum - because of his job, and that that is not going to change. However ridiculous you think it is. When we trade on the forum, that trade is conducted within the forum site.

I don't want the game to jeopardise his job., And I don't see why he should have to explain what restrictions his employers put upon him - that is not our right to know.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

7 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The forum is not a part of the cave site. They are two separate sites, whether you like it or not. And TJ said quite specifically that he cannot allow communication between members on the Cave site - which includes linking to the forum - because of his job, and that that is not going to change. However ridiculous you think it is. When we trade on the forum, that trade is conducted within the forum site.

I don't want the game to jeopardise his job., And I don't see why he should have to explain what restrictions his employers put upon him - that is not our right to know.

I am well aware that it's not our right to know, and I certainly wouldn't want him to jeopardize his job either. But I do think it's our right to at least ask for clarification since it's simply not consistent: communication IS allowed, just only one-way direction. And I highly doubt his job specified that only one-way direction is allowed. It simply doesn't make sense.

And because communication is such an important aspect of trading, I just really would like some clarification on this. It's not my hobby to pester him about such personal details, not at all, but this is such an important part of the game that I'd like an answer instead of the vague guesses we are having now. It might help TJ himself too to have something official to refer back to, because I suspect this issue will come up again and again for the coming years if it's truly not possible whatsoever (enabling better communication).

I understood at the time that it was to do with a non-communicating game site linking to a site where you can communicate.

Wait, why would his job have any bearing on completely unrelated sites to his job being able to communicate? 

The forum is a completely separate site. It is NOT DragonCave. You have to sign up for it separately. Forums are, by their very nature, social and communicative. DC is not. There has never been two-way direct communication on DC and according to TJ there never will be. I think it's totally logical, then, to say that linking to your forum profile, forum threads, asking for PMs, etc is not going to be allowed on DC. They are separate. They are going to stay separate. Regardless of what others may think regarding the 'need' for communication, that's how we know it to be. 

Re watch lists: PLEASE NO to actual user-watch lists! No no no. That's very invasive and frankly will very easily lead to tons of viewbombing. 'Oh, this person didn't accept my offer, so now I'm going to follow them and be notified every single time they post a trade so I can viewbomb those eggs!' No thanks. There is a huge difference between posting a trade in the public trading hub, and being *followed* by random strangers who are notified of every trade you post. Definitely not something I'd want.

It was explained by passing members at the time. Something to do with linking to social stuff, as I recall. He just said it was to do with his employment.

30 minutes ago, hazeh said:

Wait, why would his job have any bearing on completely unrelated sites to his job being able to communicate? 

iirc someone said that any site that has communication (not the forums however) but for some reason if Dragon Cave started to have two way communication, it would be viewed as 'competition' to Facebook (which in my view is completely ridiculous) but they would let TJ go. 😕

In the simplest of terms, and from my understanding, there lies a conflict of interest should he code Communication into his site.   I'm not sure but I would suspect, that it would have to do with intellectual rights or proprietary code.

Thanks for the confirmation, Starscream. Now can people please give the guy a break and stop asking for something he can't give us.

Admittably it is a little... strange, but I don't really mind it at all, at least people won't be able to verbally harass each other on-site. Viewbombing is bad enough.

16 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Thanks for the confirmation, Starscream. Now can people please give the guy a break and stop asking for something he can't give us.

I would reason that is why he is adamant about the want box being used only for wants and nothing more.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The only two things I really want to see if pagenation at the bottom of the trading page and the ability to edit your trade, like add an egg to an existing trade and editing the want box all without having to cancel the trade

6 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

The only two things I really want to see if pagenation at the bottom of the trading page and the ability to edit your trade, like add an egg to an existing trade and editing the want box all without having to cancel the trade

Yes, yes and yes! I was just going to post about the pagination on the bottom of the page part.

Plus maybe make unread notifications for offers that aren't even there any more auto-delete? It's kind of annoying to find a notification that you got an offer on your trade, only to find no offers. :( 

Edited by olympe

I've said this before, I think, but it would be great to have a way to have offerers know that you can't accept their egg - not inability to offer stuff which the trader can't take, just a warning of some sort.

4 hours ago, olympe said:

Plus maybe make unread notifications for offers that aren't even there any more auto-delete? It's kind of annoying to find a notification that you got an offer on your trade, only to find no offers. :( 

Yes yes yes please! I'm not sure how that would be to code, but yeah. It's very annoying to see a notification about an offer, especially if it's exactly what you were asking for, but it's already gone. 

Also 'yes please!' to the ability to edit trades. I've had multiple trades where I ended up having to cancel and re-make in order to change the wants, usually because I got what I'd wanted in a different trade. It would be wonderful to just be able to go in and edit it.

(A part of my mind is saying 'what about possible abuse?' but I can't really think of any way that editing the *want* box could be abused/misused... On the other hand, being able to edit the *dragons* in the trade could definitely be abused, if someone has already made an offer and then what is in the trade gets changed to something they wouldn't have offered on, but I guess that could be avoided by not allowing edits of the actual dragons involved if there are offers?)

Can we please enforce the rule of no showing off codes in the trading hub? I was trying to trade for a coded howler drake (mainly for a friend who adores coded drakes) and everytime I offered what they wanted, they would just simply decline my offers in like 2 seconds flat. This isn't the first time I've had a problem with this person when I've seen a code I wanted from them (the first time they weren't clear with their wants) and they kept it anyway 😕

the no showing off codes was more of you cannot show off my codes. If I want to display a code of an egg, I have, and I considered it for two awesome codes I got recently, I can. But you cannot use my codes as your want. 

We cannot police the trade hub for people who put up trades and decide they A: don't want your offer (they may have a reason for not wanting to trade with you,) B: who decide in the end, maybe they don't want to trade it aferall.

In regards to the person, you are having trouble with  - don't trade with them yourself, and perhaps allow your friend to do so instead.

So to clarify the codes issue:

Yes, you can post your coded egg as a have

No, you cannot post someone's coded egg as a want.

@Starscream I once asked PDC in private about showing codes off in the trading hub just for the sake of showing *their* codes/dragons banable because I've offered great codes for their codes and they ended up declining/cancelling the trade anyway and keeping the dragon anyway 😕 this isn't the first time I've seen them do this but whatever *shrugs*

Edit: I won't pursue it if it's not worth it to anyone

Edited by Dalek Raptor

1 hour ago, Dalek Raptor said:

@Starscream I once asked PDC in private about showing codes off in the trading hub just for the sake of showing *their* codes/dragons banable because I've offered great codes for their codes and they ended up declining/cancelling the trade anyway and keeping the dragon anyway 😕 this isn't the first time I've seen them do this but whatever *shrugs*

Edit: I won't pursue it if it's not worth it to anyone

The thing is, I don't see how anyone can know for *sure* that someone is only posting to 'show off' with no intention of actually trading. Just because they don't accept a few offers doesn't mean they have no intention of trading at all. They may not want the exact thing you offer (even if it is something they posted as a want) or they might not want to trade with you personally, maybe they were going to trade but changed their mind and decided it's nice enough to keep... There are plenty of reasons to decline offers. Unless the person is like actually bragging somewhere about deliberately posting trades just to show off, you can't know for certain that that's what they are doing. 

All else aside - ignore the trades that irritate seems to be the best option...

@Dalek Raptor

Which is worse;

You could hide the codes of the one person who always rejects you (maybe personally, maybe for changing their mind, who knows), not have to see them any more—and then have to deliberately look at the code of EVERY OTHER egg listed as “great code” just to see what it is;

Or putting up with this person’s shananigans, and still have the convenience of quickly seeing what others have on offer?

Just a reminder, folks, the term "Free" in the hub is not bannable, regardless of whether or not you personally feel it's deceptive. For those who are reporting things that are marked as free, please stop. these reports are being closed down as soon as we come across them.  There is currently no way to do a proper 1 way teleport.

Someone suggested earlier that the drop down menu used when searching by Breed shouldn't include holiday dragons when out of season (which I agree with) but I also noticed the Guardian of Nature is listed as well. They should probably be removed unless TJ is planning to make them tradeable. XD