TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

@olympe

I throw up a teleport (that stays up for as long as I can keep it, i.e. until the dragon grows up) in hopes that someone has one of those 5 specific name codes on their scroll and is willing to trade. Because I'm not gonna check for over 200 variations of these name codes with messed caps, o/0 substitutions, similar variations (like "MOLLI" instead of "Molly:), etc. to see if these name codes even exist every single time I throw up a teleport.

Plus, if someone did happen to have a severely inbred, messy-lineaged and messy caps "Molly" code, they may not even think that it would be worth trading, but I'd happily pay 2 CB Neglecteds for it (not exaggerating because yes I totally will pay that much for it). However, if they don't feel like trading it, I'm not gonna bully them into trading with me: it's their dragon, they can do whatever they want with it.

Edited by Lucere

Y'know, it has always been against forum policy (if not explicitly written rules) to post codes of growing dragons that don't belong to you and mods have always edited those out when they are found or reported -- so why expect the hub to be different?

@Lucere: My question was in regard to asking for a code egg in their own public trades if the egg they wanted already was in a public trade of its own. Personally, I'd offer on the already existing trade instead of putting up a trade asking for the specially coded egg.

Ah, ok sorry for the confusion. I thought you were responding to me XD  Sorry!

I'll probably go ahead and PM a mod my question though, and hopefully get a response soon.

I was not trying to say it is ok to do that, just giving some info about that particular case.  I see people put up Trades asking for something that is in trade right ahead of them, so no telling why people do the way they do.

48 minutes ago, 49ER said:

Starscream, just an FYI, that code that people were asking for, IS or at least WAS up for trade in trade hub and called attention to it being a word code.  

Still, they should just offer on that trade if they want it, not call the code out. I can't necessarily tell if it was up before or not. I am responding to the reports given.

The trade was up already, because I checked the filter and found it.  Don't know if it still is, the owner was bumping it a few times.  (although I am not sure what was reported to you, so we might not be talking about same case)

Edited by 49ER

2 hours ago, olympe said:

No, because it cannot be traced to a single egg. If you want a 2nd gen SA offspring - one of the rarest things available on DC, like 2nd gen Thuweds - there's no one person who happens to have the perfect egg for you, feeling called out. It's at least an admittedly small group of players who may or may not want to breed an egg for you. It might be more problematic with 2nd gen Thuweds, although some of them are available occasionally to people who aren't TJ.

However, if you ask for code AsDfG (I really just took the first five letters in the middle row of my keyborad and alternated caps - sorry if such an egg does exist!), you point out one single existing egg and can cause issues for its owner. Issues like losing their egg to sickness.

Thank you.  I know you picked some keys there... thanks for clarifying my point. I was hiding in the washroom at work trying to express that thet TOS covers it.

@osmarksPosting in the trade hub and offering on the trade hub is willfull interaction. You expect offers made when you post there. You do not expect someone to start pasting your code everywhere which can make your eggs sick. I have a problem with the potential here for view bombing, and while most of it is out of my hands, this can be easily controlled.

@Lucere I don't actually see a problem for asking for "Jimmy", "Naughty" or even "toe" codes. Want Toe Codes, doesn't seem entirely out of place -  personally I won't have a problem with it. Although, if groups are being permitted (not entirely sure) I am sure naming a group to indicate that would work.

@Starscream

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback. I was worried with all this talk on code-wants that I wouldn't be able to ask for those anymore on the off-chance that someone happens to breed something like a 3G Bolt with a moLLy code but didn't want to trade it, and I'd get marked as inciting harassment or something. 

Though now that I've been thinking about it more and more, maybe I should make a group with dragons named after my code wants. Just in case.

1 hour ago, 49ER said:

Starscream, just an FYI, that code that people were asking for, IS or at least WAS up for trade in trade hub and called attention to it being a word code. 

================

I really can't answer why, I don't get a lot of things, lol.  But just mentioned that, because that particular owner did not seem concerned about attention being called to it.

If they posted their OWN code that is a lot different than someone posting that they WANT a code that belongs to someone else. Because:

53 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Y'know, it has always been against forum policy (if not explicitly written rules) to post codes of growing dragons that don't belong to you and mods have always edited those out when they are found or reported -- so why expect the hub to be different?

Someone taking a risk with their own egg is one thing; someone drawing attention to an egg belonging to someone else is NOT OK.

1 minute ago, Lucere said:

@Starscream

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your feedback. I was worried with all this talk on code-wants that I wouldn't be able to ask for those anymore on the off-chance that someone happens to breed something like a 3G Bolt with a moLLy code but didn't want to trade it, and I'd get marked as inciting harassment or something. 

Though now that I've been thinking about it more and more, maybe I should make a group with dragons named after my code wants. Just in case.

I am pretty sure I have a group with my feet/toe codes in it.

You can offer your own stuff up, by saying Have code "STARS" want: Offers (The code in question is mine for the record) but saying Have: Egg want: STARS (if it belongs to someone else) then that's a no go.

Not sure if this has been suggested before:

I would like a filter for the number of things being offered. When I'm locked and I have exactly one thing I want to trade, I would like to see trades with one thing only, because I can't* offer on any of the other ones, anyway.

(* I mean I can, but I don't want to, because I want the other person to be able to accept my offer immediately.)

Edit:

I think the easiest way of implementing this would be a dropdown with "any number" and the 4 possible numbers. Since there are so few possible values, there is no need for "at least", "fewer than" or similar additional options. It wouldn't be a lot of work to go through 2 or 3 of those options (or even all of them) one after the other.

Edited by Confused Cat

I like that idea and I would definitely use it! All my trades so far have been 1:1 because I usually don't have space for an extra 1-3 eggs so it'd be nice if I could just search for single trades. It would save me some time for sure.

Just to clarify but the rule I was describing earlier is in the Terms of Service

So quoted below for reference

Interactions with other users

All interactions with other users must be willful. Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited.

Admittedly, it does need a bit of an update (in regards to the purchase of eggs from the market.)

Edited by Starscream

On 8/20/2018 at 7:19 AM, Confused Cat said:

Not sure if this has been suggested before:

I would like a filter for the number of things being offered. When I'm locked and I have exactly one thing I want to trade, I would like to see trades with one thing only, because I can't* offer on any of the other ones, anyway.

(* I mean I can, but I don't want to, because I want the other person to be able to accept my offer immediately.)

Edit:

I think the easiest way of implementing this would be a dropdown with "any number" and the 4 possible numbers. Since there are so few possible values, there is no need for "at least", "fewer than" or similar additional options. It wouldn't be a lot of work to go through 2 or 3 of those options (or even all of them) one after the other.

This sounds really useful, I'd use that because I'm usually in the same boat.

I'd also like to pitch an idea sparked from your reply and I'm not sure if this has been suggested either.

Does it sound like a good idea to be able to select a limit (1-4) of eggs/hatchlings others can offer on a trade you created? 

I thought about this because sometimes when I am making a trade, I state in the "wants" that I'd only like 1 egg/hatchling in return, but I find that people over-load offers with 3-4 eggs/hatchlings (probably for the sake of bolstering their chances) and I only want one of what they have offered. I always feel bad declining them, because the trade could have gone more smoothly had they not piled eggs/hatchlings on their offer and unfortunately, I cannot communicate with them to tell them this, so I'd rather just be able to make my own trade able to accept 1 egg/hatchling at a time on specific trades. It would give people more of a chance to offer something else and then get accepted. (Of course you'd be able to set it to 2, 3, or default [4])

I'm not sure if that could be exploited in any way, though. I'm also not sure if this is just a problem I have or if anyone else has experienced something like that.

Sorry about the wording on this, I made it sound more complicated than it is.

1 hour ago, Tesla said:

This sounds really useful, I'd use that because I'm usually in the same boat.

I'd also like to pitch an idea sparked from your reply and I'm not sure if this has been suggested either.

Does it sound like a good idea to be able to select a limit (1-4) of eggs/hatchlings others can offer on a trade you created? 

I thought about this because sometimes when I am making a trade, I state in the "wants" that I'd only like 1 egg/hatchling in return, but I find that people over-load offers with 3-4 eggs/hatchlings (probably for the sake of bolstering their chances) and I only want one of what they have offered. I always feel bad declining them, because the trade could have gone more smoothly had they not piled eggs/hatchlings on their offer and unfortunately, I cannot communicate with them to tell them this, so I'd rather just be able to make my own trade able to accept 1 egg/hatchling at a time on specific trades. It would give people more of a chance to offer something else and then get accepted. (Of course you'd be able to set it to 2, 3, or default [4])

I'm not sure if that could be exploited in any way, though. I'm also not sure if this is just a problem I have or if anyone else has experienced something like that.

Sorry about the wording on this, I made it sound more complicated than it is.

This does sound like it could be incredibly useful, for multiple reasons. I've recently had someone offer *exactly* what I wanted, but they also added something I totally didn't want, and I didn't have the eggslots open to just accept and then dump the unwanted one. I actually don't often remember to specify 'only 1 egg please' in the Wants box, and actually that's not currently possible anyways because my *actual* breed-wants usually takes up all the very-limited space in that box. It would be awesome to be able to click some option to limit the number of things offered, both to stop unwanted 'piling' and help ease the issue of being offered something awesome that you can't accept because it's bundled with something that puts you over the limit. 

The only drawback is sometimes people offer multiple because they need to unlock.  For example, someone may put up 2 or 3 things in exchange for just 1 thing, but maybe I cannot offer just one on it because I don't have room to take their 3 things.  

It would be nice, if in addition to rules, we have some guidelines, not rules but just some pointers, such as You may not be doing yourself any favors by offering multiple things on a trade if they just want one thing, or putting up 4 eggs limits the number of people who can offer or accept.

Edited by 49ER

5 minutes ago, 49ER said:

The only drawback is sometimes people offer multiple because they need to unlock.  For example, someone may put up 2 or 3 things in exchange for just 1 thing, but maybe I cannot offer just one on it because I don't have room to take their 3 things.  

Well, if the person doesn't care if they get offered more then 1 they can leave it at the default, which I'm assuming would be max 4 since that's the current max. If someone wants only 1 thing and you can't offer just 1 thing, then it's not the trade for you. But it could be very helpful for the trader to have that option. And I'm figuring most people would just leave it at the default unless there is a specific reason they need less.

I can see the benefit for filtering for x items only, but with making a trade I still think being able to choose what to accept (and/or selective decline) instead of having to take everything would mitigate the drawback better. It would be more flexible and allow the trader to get their best pick out of a bunch or choose to wait so they can grab that double batch out of four, instead of the offerer seeing "offers please, 1 hatchie only" and going "you want this hatchie? no? how about this one? no? this egg?"

I think both would be most helpful, actually. It would definitely be helpful to be able to accept *part* of an offer, so if you don't mind people offering the max and figuring out which ones you actually want, that's a great option. But I also think it would help to simply be able to limit how many things are offered on your trade to begin with. You wouldn't *need* to sort through 4 dragons and figure out which one you want to accept if you only allowed 1 to begin with. Also, I think it might help curb some of the random offers, where people just toss up a ton of whatever in the hopes that more things = better chances... If the person limits the offers to 1 or 2 things, the offerer has to be more selective about what they offer, which could be beneficial on both sides.

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Well, if the person doesn't care if they get offered more then 1 they can leave it at the default, which I'm assuming would be max 4 since that's the current max. If someone wants only 1 thing and you can't offer just 1 thing, then it's not the trade for you. But it could be very helpful for the trader to have that option. And I'm figuring most people would just leave it at the default unless there is a specific reason they need less.

This. It sometimes puzzles me that people don't get this. It would be helpful if we could accept part of an offer - but as long as we can't, we can't.

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This. It sometimes puzzles me that people don't get this. It would be helpful if we could accept part of an offer - but as long as we can't, we can't.

I mentioned it before, but I would be all happy for some way to select which eggs/hatchies I can take in a trade.

Why not just copy-paste the rules mentioned in that help thread to a page linked in the hub? We really need something - someone on the DC discord is afraid to trade because they're worried about getting banned for some ridiculous rule violation or something. Especially due to the permanent bans. No, checking the forums for the rules is not at all acceptable, especially since bans already occur, the rules are buried somewhere here in the eternal darkness of 45 pages of stuff, the moderators aren't even consistent, and people just claim "oh, that one sentence captures every single unwritten or written-somewhere-hidden rule ever".

Also, pagination. Pagination is important. We need pagination.

Edited by osmarks

Good grief - all they need to post to be safe is "Have (egg, 3 gen, whatever) Want: whatever" and not link a real code they are trying to get. Just don't link and don't put "also cookies" or something.

The rules will sit well on the help page when they are done, and could link to that if needs be. But it REALLY isn't rocket science.

53 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Good grief - all they need to post to be safe is "Have (egg, 3 gen, whatever) Want: whatever" and not link a real code they are trying to get. Just don't link and don't put "also cookies" or something.

The rules will sit well on the help page when they are done, and could link to that if needs be. But it REALLY isn't rocket science.

Yeah. This. I still personally don't understand how the current Want-box description is so misleading, but it's really fairly easy to trade safely. Use the Want box for what it's meant for, ie *wants* (and maybe haves, at this point in time). Don't call out other users, don't put nonsense or lyrics, don't put links and don't put codes that aren't yours. That sounds pretty simple to me. I've done at *least* 100 trades through the hub since it appeared and I've never had any issues. 

I understand wanting on-site rules about the hub, but it's already been said that will happen. If you really don't feel comfortable using the hub until it happens, don't use it, but the rules laid out here by mods do seem pretty straight-forward so anyone who's read those should be fine.