TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

@TercesPersonally, I probably wouldn't ever post a common in the trading hub, unless it was a very special lineage, preferably one I need a bloodswap for. (Because, really, what could I get for it anyway?) And yet, if someone approached me on the forums to ask if I'd be willing to trade one of my common eggs/hatchies because they like the code, I'd be more than willing to trade, probably even gift the thing. So, to me, a polite inquiry of whether I'd be willing to trade something is most definitely not harrassment. If it was, each and every PM you get would be considered harrassment by the same logic, considering you didn't invite it. (As an aside, I do take into consideration that someone might not be a native speaker or even have used google translate when considering what's polite and what isn't. Someone with little knowledge of English might come across as rather direct and brutally frank because they simply don't know how to word something in a manner that's considered polite.) A PM of the sort "Gimme dat eggo or else..." most definitely is not okay, though.

@esse: I was not trying to "correct a wrong with another wrong", I just didn't think things through as much as I should have. I think the latter is just as true for the poster(s) of "looking for exact code" trades, too. In both cases, it is a good thing to have a discussion going on to raise awareness.

That being said, I think that eggs/hatchlings that are in public trades should have protection against sickness just to be sure. Because the codes are available to the public, and some people might get salty when seeing a 2nd gen prize offered only for prize swaps or 2nd gens from SAs and nothing else.

2 hours ago, olympe said:

I actually didn't even look up who posted this, sorry. Much less did I want to look up if you had the same name on the forums and DC itself. Not to mention that such a PM could have been construed as harrassment, considering there currently is no rule about posting codes of other people's eggs in trades and I, personally, do not make the rules. Public awareness of the issue and its consequences were what I felt was needed, and of course, this usually leads to discussion - which, in this case, is quite healthy. Maybe I should have changed the "silver lunar herald" to something like "breed x", though, and randomized the caps of the code - or even add a number, for which I apologize. 

It's fine now. I wouldn't consider any way of constructive criticism or even a warning via PM harassment, but maybe that is just me and my way of seeing things. What is done is done, I had to reply here because I wouldn't want to let people think I'm not a reliable player here etc. I made a mistake with my friend, since I was the one who posted the trade for her -- that's why there are two people who got ( not offended, but ) lets say affected by the lunar herald reference. She just got upset that by you referencing the lunar herald that people could get to my scroll and  that my future eggs and activities would be in danger of getting harassed etc.  I hope that clears it up. BUT we do see why using full codes is wrong as well, for which I apologize once again. Luckily the dragon is okay now :) I hope we can see a set of all the trading hub rules soon, so we wouldn't be breaking any possible rules anymore. I hope there isn't any hard feelings left! 

Edited by amy

@amy: The thing still is that there is no official rule on not posting codes in the trading hub. Which, if you ask me, is the main issue here. And, since you didn't break any existing rules, I doubt people would hold it against you anyway. And I really hope that everyone's eggs and hatchlings are fine.

Well, this place exploded fast. Definitely happy I abandoned the Trading Hub. Seems just about anything can get you banned or in trouble now.

Code trades also tend to be much harder to search when they fall off the page which is where pagination would help the most

4 minutes ago, DarkEternity said:

Code trades also tend to be much harder to search when they fall off the page which is where pagination would help the most

Also for stuff like prizekins - they don't show up if you search wants unless it's being used as have, and as they're not prizes you cannot filter by breed.

Oh, and regarding the trading for a specific code they listed thing? If the person who did that has been banned, that's even less reasonable, as the rules don't mention stuff about not posting codes - neither the useless one sentence by the box or TJ09's slightly longer list mentions it.

Edited by osmarks

51 minutes ago, osmarks said:

Also for stuff like prizekins - they don't show up if you search wants unless it's being used as have, and as they're not prizes you cannot filter by breed.

Oh, and regarding the trading for a specific code they listed thing? If the person who did that has been banned, that's even less reasonable, as the rules don't mention stuff about not posting codes - neither the useless one sentence by the box or TJ09's slightly longer list mentions it.

This entirely. This is why the Hub should have actual rules listed on there rather than the Forums that list all the rules. There are people who aren't on the forums and this is becoming out of hand and ridiculous to keep going to the Forums to read the actual rules. Not to mention going through 40+ pages of this to find all of them

9 hours ago, esse said:

At the risk of sounding absolutely rude and blunt, did you read the post? I believe the answer is right there. 

I read it. I agree with Terces, not least the first bolded bit.

7 hours ago, Terces said:

esse, the first half of your post is a little hard to understand, it's quite vague and some of it I'm a bit confused on ("As you both seem to be well-acquainted with problems entailed by publicly revealing someone's details, they request that you do not so the same to other, unsuspecting people, as well." Who is this referring to? I'm unsure) but hopefully I understood the gist of it. Which is that the dragon they were seeking had a code that was important to them, and they wanted to try and get a hold of the new unknown owner, correct? I just don't agree with seeking out an egg or hatchling that was lost/missed, particularly when it involves CBs or dragons not bred by the seeker.

Here's the thing - there isn't any good way to do this without infringing on the egg owner's privacy. If the egg's owner really wanted to trade it, they'll put it up for trade. If they are not trying to trade it... then we need to let it go. I'm not a huge code collector but I've missed a few that I really, really wanted and I accepted that if I don't see it in the trading threads later then I'm out of luck and I must deal with it. This is especially true when the user has hidden their scroll name - that is a huge 'I want to be left alone' signal to me. Don't try and get into contact with them, don't try and get their attention... just leave them be.

I've had people try and get my attention about eggs on my scroll that they wanted, offering swaps or trades, and I found it rude regardless of what they offered in return. If I want to trade something my egg, I'll put it up for trade - nobody should bother me or anyone else about an egg or hatchling on their scroll. And putting up a public trade that plainly posts a code to someone else's growing dragon without their permission is straight up wrong, it literally violates the ToS and whoever made that trade should feel lucky if they didn't lose their Want Box privilege. Goodness knows we've seen some players lose it over much more harmless acts.

To me, there is an enormous difference between asking for a very rare dragon like a PB Prize and asking for a specific egg that is on someone's scroll. It's not about how difficult the request is to fill, it's about publicly targeting another users vulnerable dragon even if you mean well. There's nothing wrong with someone asking for a "PB Prize", that's a vague enough request that we can't pinpoint a specific egg or hatching but "I want the PB Prize who has this specific code" easily allows ANYONE to find it and possibly inflict harm on it. The worst part is the owner usually has no idea what is going on, and is probably confused why this one dragon is getting more attention than normal... if they catch it in time, I've certainly seen well-meaning users put codes to lost eggs in a public place like their sig and then check on it later only to see it has died of sickness. Sometimes from malicious people (of which there are lot more of these past couple years, remember) but also from too many people being curious. In either case, the new owner is the one who suffers.

Tl;dr I feel if we want an egg but it hasn't been put up for trade, the right thing to do is to let it go and move on. Regardless of how bad we want it or how much we'd offer them in exchange. It's not on our scroll and it's not our business. But again, I'm not TJ or a mod so their word certainly overrides mine.

8 hours ago, 49ER said:

Are you intentionally trying to miss my point?  My point is....If I want to offer but the gifter wants in to go only to a newbie, then I would want to know that so I don't waste a slot offering.  And it IS a want!

It isn't THEIR want. The want box is for what they are offering (for the moment, until TJ tidies up) and what they want in return. You can offer; it is up to them to decide whether to accept.

27 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

It isn't THEIR want. The want box is for what they are offering (for the moment, until TJ tidies up) and what they want in return. You can offer; it is up to them to decide whether to accept.

They want, in return, an egg coming from a person that meets their specific standards. It is much much less gray than a want requesting "no killing/no trading/etc" because it is not asking anyone to do or not do something to the egg, it is telling a prospective offerer whether they will accept your offer or not based on immediate facts and not future actions.

Exactly this!  Put it this way, they can say I WANT this to go to someone who does not already have any of these.  That is a Want, pure and simple, AND as a bonus, it tells people who don't fit the criteria not to bother offering because it won't be accepted.  So it helps both the gifter and the prospective offerers.  And from what I have gathered, no mod has actually said they will mod this.

While targeting certain kinds of scrolls (no more than bronze trophy, not having any low-gen of this breed / not having any of this breed at all...) might seem excessive at first glance, it is something many of us do. And, as someone willing to offer on a trade, I'd rather know in advance if I'm wasting my time because I don't fit the other person's criteria. So I support allowing for targeting certain kinds of scrolls in your wants.

I am going to urge people now to avoid posting codes of growing eggs as wants, unless that code is yours and yours alone (such as advertising your code. )

This puts the egg(s)/Hatchling(s) of site members at high risk from unnecessary viewing.

Its not permitted in IRC, Its not permitted on forums - and it should not fly on trading hub either.

21 minutes ago, Starscream said:

I am going to urge people now to avoid posting codes of growing eggs as wants, unless that code is yours and yours alone (such as advertising your code. )

This puts the egg(s)/Hatchling(s) of site members at high risk from unnecessary viewing.

Its not permitted in IRC, Its not permitted on forums - and it should not fly on trading hub either.

1. What about posting the code with mixed up capitalization?
  2. This is not in the actual rules. Someone should fix that.
Edited by osmarks

4 minutes ago, osmarks said:

Rules are getting written, says TJ. I think we should hold off on complaining that the rules we want to be posted aren't posted until the rules actually appear. Unless this starts taking an unreasonable amount of time, which it hasn't yet.

Edited by Aalbiel

45 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

Rules are getting written, says TJ. I think we should hold off on complaining that the rules we want to be posted aren't posted until the rules actually appear. Unless this starts taking an unreasonable amount of time, which it hasn't yet.

This, very much.

2 hours ago, osmarks said:

As long as breaking the unwritten rules (like "no codes") doesn't result in a permanent trading ban (or ban from using the want box), I don't think it's much of a problem.

2 hours ago, osmarks said:

mods are not going to go and look to make sure that the codes are mixed up. Terms of service should actually cover it under all interaction should be willful. That the user give you permission to use their code?

Also Im giving you a heads up to a recurring thing. Do you guys want heads up or not? Also posting codes of unwary  users can lead to viewbombing. I was under the impression the userbase wanted that prevented too.

Please dont post codes scrambled or not if it does not belong to you.

1 minute ago, Starscream said:

mods are not going to go and look to make sure that the codes are mixed up. Terms of service should actually cover it under all interaction should be willful. That the user give you permission to use their code?

Also Im giving you a heads up to a recurring thing. Do you guys want heads up or not? Also posting codes of unwary  users can lead to viewbombing. I was under the impression the userbase wanted that prevented too.

Please dont post codes scrambled or not if it does not belong to you.

By that logic, asking for anything users have is "unwilful interaction".

22 minutes ago, osmarks said:

By that logic, asking for anything users have is "unwilful interaction".

No, because it cannot be traced to a single egg. If you want a 2nd gen SA offspring - one of the rarest things available on DC, like 2nd gen Thuweds - there's no one person who happens to have the perfect egg for you, feeling called out. It's at least an admittedly small group of players who may or may not want to breed an egg for you. It might be more problematic with 2nd gen Thuweds, although some of them are available occasionally to people who aren't TJ.

However, if you ask for code AsDfG (I really just took the first five letters in the middle row of my keyborad and alternated caps - sorry if such an egg does exist!), you point out one single existing egg and can cause issues for its owner. Issues like losing their egg to sickness.

Edited by olympe

@Starscream

What about what I asked earlier with the "Wants: a Jimmy/Timmy/Laura code"? Would that be okay to post? I don't want it to be considered harassment if someone happens to have, for example, a 3G Bolt jiMMY growing on their scroll but they didn't feel like trading it.

There are certain very specific name codes that I'm looking for and I'd love a mod's (any mod's) input on this. 

If nothing else, you could create a group "Looking for name codes" and name your dragons "looking for Jimmy codes", "looking for Laura codes" (and so on) and then indicate the group in your wants. (Not exactly within the rules, but not a ban-able offence as of yet.) Also, since your wants are much broader than this, "Looking for Star Wars or Marvel Hero codes" should be fine enough.

Edited by olympe

@olympe

I suppose that could work, though I'd hate to give my dragons names like that, haha. 

And these name-code wants are separate from the Star Wars / Marvel codes, which is why I was asking (sorry I didn't make myself clear) XD . For example, one of the codes I'm looking for is: "Molly" (which isn't related to Star Wars or Marvel at all, lol. It's the name of the dog I grew up with as a small child). 

Starscream, just an FYI, that code that people were asking for, IS or at least WAS up for trade in trade hub and called attention to it being a word code.  

Then why not offer on it directly instead of creating your own teleport? If it gets rejected, the person won't be interested in your offer anyway... (Yes, I know. I don't get it. That's why I ask.)

I really can't answer why, I don't get a lot of things, lol.  But just mentioned that, because that particular owner did not seem concerned about attention being called to it.