TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

I'm sort of not sure how I would mod stating they aren't likely to trade -  why when ever I am in that mindset, I just ask for offers. ( I usually do regardless of if I am or not because I am never sure what I want)

Well if you don't say you are not so sure you want to trade, and ask for offers, then you won't scare people off.  But when someone says they don't know if they want to trade or they probably will keep it, that says to me, "I am hoping somebody is stupid enough to offer waaaay more than they should for this".  Either that or "Lookit this cool egg I have, you can't have it, neener neener neener!"

It seems to me that putting something like "I don't know if I actually want to trade this" or "99% sure I'm going to keep this' is a misuse of the Want box in the Trading Hub. It doesn't help anyone understand what type of offers you want, so it shouldn't be in the Want box, correct?

Once TJ updates the Hub rules, I really hope we will be fine to reference group numbers or dragon codes in the box. To me, it fits the usage of helping others understand what offers I'd be interested in. For example if I need a 3G Flamingo from Male Holly checker unrelated to a specific dragon, it's extremely helpful if I can direct people to that dragon (via listing their code) so they don't waste their time breeding something I won't accept.

For me, groups can serve the same purpose on a larger scale. I don't know exactly how many people are willing to comb through a group, but most of my trades done in the hub were by doing this. Some people were willing to go through mine, and I have searched other people's groups for offer ideas when I really wanted what they put up for trade. It also doesn't prevent anyone from just making an offer if they don't want to research a list beforehand, which is totally fine, so I feel there is no major downside to groups in the Hub.

In any case I'm very much interested in seeing how the Trading Hub evolves, I honestly feel that it has overtaken the forum when it comes to trading. Since it arrived there are fewer trades going on here and I basically get little to no offers when I try to trade something exclusively on the forums now. It feels like there are much fewer people browsing nowadays, so I really hope the Hub can be a place for both simple and slightly more complex trades.

2 hours ago, Terces said:

It seems to me that putting something like "I don't know if I actually want to trade this" or "99% sure I'm going to keep this' is a misuse of the Want box in the Trading Hub. It doesn't help anyone understand what type of offers you want, so it shouldn't be in the Want box, correct?

I see what you mean, and mostly agree ... but it may help explain why someone might be very darn picky and why they're rejecting perfectly nice offers.

We don't need to know why people are rejecting "perfectly nice offers." You have no idea what other offers someone gets on anything. If they don't accept your offer all it means is they didn't accept your offer.

Posting something for trade with a message that you probably aren't going to trade it would make me not offer anything on it at all. Why should I bother tying up my nice things making offers on things that probably won't be traded. And I would absolutely consider that a misuse of the want box because all it tells people is that you don't want anything for it.

3 hours ago, Fiona said:

We don't need to know why people are rejecting "perfectly nice offers." You have no idea what other offers someone gets on anything. If they don't accept your offer all it means is they didn't accept your offer.

Posting something for trade with a message that you probably aren't going to trade it would make me not offer anything on it at all. Why should I bother tying up my nice things making offers on things that probably won't be traded. And I would absolutely consider that a misuse of the want box because all it tells people is that you don't want anything for it.

Agree 100%. I would never look at a trade like that. And it's none of my business why someone rejected my offer. It MIGHT be if it were just because I was locked - but now that that button greys out, that won't be it, so...

I have another suggestion if the rules are clarified:

can we put a warning or something on the use of the word 'free'? There's too many people that misuse it under the guise of a gift, or to have their trades show up if people filter for "free".

Like, maybe if people were to write the word "free", then they can't add anything else in the want box, or a warning shows up that says, "remember that using misleading words may result in a ban from using the TH".

Or, alternatively, have a "gifting area" where you can place a something in a public transfer, and people can take it. This may differ from simply ap'ing something in that the "gift" will still be in your scroll until it's taken or you cancel the transfer; kinda similar to how departures thread work. (It'd also be nice if things taking from there were trade-locked, to prevent retrading)(also,"why not use departures?" Because of the extra steps of entering the forums, finding the thread... XD yeah I'm a lazy person.)

Or idk, but those trades that use "free, offer 4 hatchies" are annoying. They probably do constitute a straight out misuse, they are reportable, right? 

@ninish from what I have seen of mod responses those would not be reportible. Everyone knows that asking for 4 hatchies is not really free, don't they? I do see how it could cause a problem if you are filtering for "free" but how many people do that in a trading hub?

I agree there should be the option to offer giveaways through the hub because not everyone who has something to give away wants to join the forum.

Well, as we cannot post one-ways in the hub, I think free, when it means offer a dummy, is OK.

As for:

(It'd also be nice if things taking from there were trade-locked, to prevent retrading)

If it's on your scroll, it's yours to do as you like with. Much as you may not want to accept that, it is the case.

But if you put it in a two way for a dummy egg and then see that person promptly put it up for trade, you can make a private blacklist not to accept a dummy egg from that person again.

Sure you can - but it is still a condition you can't hold anyone to. When there are posts here saying "I said no trading and they traded it" - well, sorry, them's the breaks.

I don't mean post it, I meant write it down in your secret list and don't deal with them anymore

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

@ninish from what I have seen of mod responses those would not be reportible. Everyone knows that asking for 4 hatchies is not really free, don't they? I do see how it could cause a problem if you are filtering for "free" but how many people do that in a trading hub?

I see :< thanks! 

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If it's on your scroll, it's yours to do as you like with. Much as you may not want to accept that, it is the case.

You're right :< (but it'd still be nice xD) 

1 hour ago, 49ER said:

I don't mean post it, I meant write it down in your secret list and don't deal with them anymore

I know - but people do post here that that happened - without naming the "offender" - as well as "I gifted an egg and they BIT it" - well, so ? Personal will never trade again lists - sure; don't we all have those ? :ph34r: For whatever reasons.

14 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I know - but people do post here that that happened - without naming the "offender" - as well as "I gifted an egg and they BIT it" - well, so ? Personal will never trade again lists - sure; don't we all have those ? :ph34r: For whatever reasons.

I don't... Yet.

Public blacklists are not allowed and posting any kind of blacklists with your trade on the hub will probably get you banned.

And honestly I (personally) would discourage users from keeping private ones - it just creates bad blood for no reason. If someone trades their gift, that's their choice of what to do with it. Once an egg is on their scroll, you have no say over it. They don't have to follow your rules of what to do with their dragons. You shouldn't have expectations when you send an egg off for free - it's a gift, not a gift with strings attached.

can we put a warning or something on the use of the word 'free'? There's too many people that misuse it under the guise of a gift, or to have their trades show up if people filter for "free".

Like, maybe if people were to write the word "free", then they can't add anything else in the want box, or a warning shows up that says, "remember that using misleading words may result in a ban from using the TH".

No, this isn't considered misuse. Please don't report these, it just clutters up reports. You can always choose to not offer on these.

15 minutes ago, Kaini said:

Public blacklists are not allowed and posting any kind of blacklists with your trade on the hub will probably get you banned.

And honestly I (personally) would discourage users from keeping private ones - it just creates bad blood for no reason. If someone trades their gift, that's their choice of what to do with it. Once an egg is on their scroll, you have no say over it. They don't have to follow your rules of what to do with their dragons. You shouldn't have expectations when you send an egg off for free - it's a gift, not a gift with strings attached.

I don't blacklist for that kind of thing; I do have a few people I will not trade with for reasons which make sense to me. It is not information I would share with anyone else. I would never go public with any of it, so I'm not sure how it would create bad feeling.

Nobody said anything about public blacklists (save that they are not allowed). Nobody wants to post their private blacklists, much less in trades.

And, while gifts should come with no strings attached, imagine the following: You buy your neighbor a really nice birthday gift - or so you think. It took quite some effort on your part to find it. Not a week later, you see them selling it on ebay. Would you seriously buy them another gift anytime soon? (Personally, if I felt like having to get a gift for them, it'd be a gift card.)

Edited by olympe

2 hours ago, ninish said:

Like, maybe if people were to write the word "free", then they can't add anything else in the want box

... and then someone wants offspring from a dragon named "Free Willi" and can't because of such a censor.

No, thanks.

It's a trading hub, not a gifting hub. Just treat it as such, even if the trader calls it "free".

Agreed - as the Trading Hub only supports two-way trades, I interpret "free" to mean "offer anything".  It's like a dummy egg on the Departures board.  You are more than welcome not to offer on such things, but they aren't inherently "bad" so please do not report those.

Personally I do not worry with wishlist trades because it's a pain to read through all that mess only to discover I don't have whatever at the moment.  I prefer something short, concise, and to the point.

In general, don't use the Trading Hub messages for things like:

Chatting

Posting offsite links

Calling out other users

Anything non-trade related

Keep it to haves/wants as you would in trading threads and you should be fine.  It will need to be abbreviated, of course.

I am still trying to determine if "PM me on the forums" type messages are okay, but I don't really mess with those either, so...

@LadyLyzar It's been confirmed that putting any messages like "PM me on the forum" or listing your forum name is against the rules. No communication whatsoever. You can, however, rename your dragons to indicate your forum name to get around that. TJ has said that is okay since people have been doing that for a long while now before the Trading Hub.

Just now, animatedrose said:

@LadyLyzar It's been confirmed that putting any messages like "PM me on the forum" or listing your forum name is against the rules. No communication whatsoever. You can, however, rename your dragons to indicate your forum name to get around that. TJ has said that is okay since people have been doing that for a long while now before the Trading Hub.

Ah thanks!  I must've missed it.  See, even mods goof up sometimes :D

I don't think anyone got hurt because you didn't ban them for a bagatelle.

23 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

In general, don't use the Trading Hub messages for things like:

Posting offsite links

I THINK TJ said no links AT ALL.