TJ09

Trading Hub Feedback

Message added by TJ09

Please report all bugs in the Help section. This thread is for discussion and feedback only.

On 9/1/2018 at 5:46 PM, Dekka said:

can we please please PLEASE make it impossible to offer on things when you are locked and the other person cannot accept, it is extremely frustrating to just stare at an offer you really want but you can't take it and cannot contact the other person to inform them theyre locked....

God, I thought it was me this whole time and kept checking to make sure I wasn't locked or over limits or something...  Good to know the 'accept' being greyed out on those tempting offers isn't my fault, I guess.

4 hours ago, Terces said:

Someone suggested earlier that the drop down menu used when searching by Breed shouldn't include holiday dragons when out of season (which I agree with) but I also noticed the Guardian of Nature is listed as well. They should probably be removed unless TJ is planning to make them tradeable. XD

I definitely did not notice that but.... yeah it might lead newer players to believe they can get a GoN through trading :P

6 hours ago, Terces said:

Someone suggested earlier that the drop down menu used when searching by Breed shouldn't include holiday dragons when out of season (which I agree with) but I also noticed the Guardian of Nature is listed as well. They should probably be removed unless TJ is planning to make them tradeable. XD

That was me. A few things I want to see happen:

• Pagenation at the bottom of the trading hub
  • The drop down list excludes the holiday and GoN breeds (except for when it's around the right holiday, like Halloween)
  • A possible black list so you don't have to see certain users trading (granted I am getting tired of seeing this particular person trading codes and not trading after all but he's hard to ignore if his trades are up)

NO black lists as such are allowed - but "ignore" might be a possibility.

I can't see a single code up there just now, I have to say - I very rarely do.

Oh right - I never had any interest so didn't bother. (But there are very few quoting a code.)

To both 1) not needlessly burden staff with little things and 2) avoid making people feel they need to walk on eggshells every time they trade, I'd really go back to just doing bans for explicit nasty written things (And, if needed to preserve TJ's real job, temp bans building up to permanent ones for repeated linking to other sites).

Yes, I get how people posting the same trade every ten minutes or posting song lyrics could be annoying (although honestly I'd find that last one funny if it wasn't overly prevalent, haha), but is it worth expanding mod effort on and stressing people out over?

A few other things:

-- I think having clear "have" and "want" fields instead of mashing them together would let people more clearly state both what they have and what they need, so people wouldn't be as tempted to sneak in "PM me" and offsite database links.

-- Can we make it so if you do a public trade, you HAVE to put something in the want field? If people just want to post a two way on the forums, there's a non-public two way option. I realize people owe me nothing, but it's kind of frustrating to have blank fields and wonder "do they want ANYTHING, or are they just trading with Bob Joe on the forums and all my efforts are for nothing?!"

-- Still think being able to offer the same item on multiple trades would be a huge benefit. Right now the person making a trade holds most of the cards. Nothing stings more than holding an egg for two days, unrejected, on a single offer you really like, just to be turned down at the last second. Could've spent that time offering on other nice things.

-- ...Might be impossible due to the TJ communication thing, but would it be possible to VERIFY forum accounts as connected to dragon cave accounts? You wouldn't be able to PM through the cave, and you'd still have to have a forum account to access it, but it would confirm that X account belongs to X user and make it easier to facilitate communication. Obviously people don't have to pair their accounts, or could pair them and keep them hidden.

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Can we make it so if you do a public trade, you HAVE to put something in the want field? If people just want to post a two way on the forums, there's a non-public two way option. I realize people owe me nothing, but it's kind of frustrating to have blank fields and wonder "do they want ANYTHING, or are they just trading with Bob Joe on the forums and all my efforts are for nothing?!"

I don't think that's how it works. If people do not want to enter anything in the want field and are forced to do so, they might be tempted to either enter a random string of letters or things like song lyrics - which wouldn't help much. Although the number of "doesn't want anything" trades will probably decrease. Also take into account that some people are banned from entering something in the want field, but not from the trading hub itself.

36 minutes ago, olympe said:

Also take into account that some people are banned from entering something in the want field, but not from the trading hub itself.

The veracity of this is questionable, given that this is what mods thought was happening overall but in truth people have been banned from making trades, period.

3 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

To both 1) not needlessly burden staff with little things and 2) avoid making people feel they need to walk on eggshells every time they trade, I'd really go back to just doing bans for explicit nasty written things (And, if needed to preserve TJ's real job, temp bans building up to permanent ones for repeated linking to other sites).

Yes, I get how people posting the same trade every ten minutes or posting song lyrics could be annoying (although honestly I'd find that last one funny if it wasn't overly prevalent, haha), but is it worth expanding mod effort on and stressing people out over?

A few other things:

-- I think having clear "have" and "want" fields instead of mashing them together would let people more clearly state both what they have and what they need, so people wouldn't be as tempted to sneak in "PM me" and offsite database links.

-- Can we make it so if you do a public trade, you HAVE to put something in the want field? If people just want to post a two way on the forums, there's a non-public two way option. I realize people owe me nothing, but it's kind of frustrating to have blank fields and wonder "do they want ANYTHING, or are they just trading with Bob Joe on the forums and all my efforts are for nothing?!"

-- Still think being able to offer the same item on multiple trades would be a huge benefit. Right now the person making a trade holds most of the cards. Nothing stings more than holding an egg for two days, unrejected, on a single offer you really like, just to be turned down at the last second. Could've spent that time offering on other nice things.

-- ...Might be impossible due to the TJ communication thing, but would it be possible to VERIFY forum accounts as connected to dragon cave accounts? You wouldn't be able to PM through the cave, and you'd still have to have a forum account to access it, but it would confirm that X account belongs to X user and make it easier to facilitate communication. Obviously people don't have to pair their accounts, or could pair them and keep them hidden.

Definitely agree with having a specific 'have' box. Given that the want box is A) very small character-wise and B ) searchable by the filter, the want box really needs to be for *wants*. It's rather frustrating to search for something in that want box filter and have 99% of the results be people saying they *have* that thing. 

I really don't think forcing people to put something in the Want box would do any good at all, and would probably just end up with a lot of frustration and waaayyy more people 'misusing' the box because they are forced to use it. I don't think it's a good idea in general to have specific rules about what can and can't go in the box and *also* force users to put *something* in the box. If there is no want text, either offer what you think the thing is worth or just ignore the trade. As multiple people have mentioned when this came up before, being forced to input text in order to use a feature will just cause a lot of people to put stuff like 'required text here' and 'lalala this is required' etc etc, and that's just as useless as no text at all, and certainly not bannable because they are being forced to do that. 

As for making only explicit/nasty stuff bannable, one of the big issues originally was the group of people who flooded the trade hub with song lyrics. You may think it's just annoying and shouldn't be bannable, but when the entire front page of trades is spam, that's Not Okay. And people should not just get away with that. I also personally agree with the 'no messages to specific users' part of the rule, because this is a PUBLIC trading hub and the trade is completely useless to everyone else if you are only targeting a specific user. Public trades should be open to the public, not 'this is for user X only'. 

5 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

A few other things:

Hallelujah to literally all of this. (Although personally I don't care if people leave a blank field. But literally all the rest is Fully Excellent. Especially same item on multiple trades.)

We love you, ADP.

On 9/6/2018 at 11:44 AM, Dalek Raptor said:

iirc someone said that any site that has communication (not the forums however) but for some reason if Dragon Cave started to have two way communication, it would be viewed as 'competition' to Facebook (which in my view is completely ridiculous) but they would let TJ go. 😕

On 9/6/2018 at 12:44 PM, Starscream said:

In the simplest of terms, and from my understanding, there lies a conflict of interest should he code Communication into his site.   I'm not sure but I would suspect, that it would have to do with intellectual rights or proprietary code.

I just thought of a pretty good way around this. In addition to having a separate "have" and "want" box, you could have an optional box to check that says whether or not you allow PMs on the forums. Just something extremely simple, no room for text, no forum link, just:

PMs allowed?

Yes [x]  No []

From there, it's up to the users to figure out how to communicate. People can change their forum names now, so if scroll and forum names are different, one can be changed to make finding each other easier. Thus no direct communication and no rule-breaking coding necessary, just a quick, easy way of letting someone know you're also a forum user and are willing to negotiate trades there.

Although I am 10000% for ANY kind of communication, I'm afraid that won't be allowed since it's basically the same as putting "You can PM me on the forums", which is not allowed (or so I have been told).

But if TJ agrees to your solution, I'd suggest adding "on the forums" in the description of that little checkbox, because it might be confusing to just say "PMs allowed" when there is no PM function on the site itself.

ETA: And I also agree with everything Angelicdragonpuppy said, except the empty want field, I don't mind that as much.

Edited by Cinspawn

11 hours ago, olympe said:

Also take into account that some people are banned from entering something in the want field, but not from the trading hub itself.

I thought that was just what mods THOUGHT was happening but in reality, you're kicked entirely from making trades on the Hub until your ban ended. I think I recall Starscream saying that's what they thought "ban" meant until they were corrected by some of the banned people (might've been the permabanned guys but not sure). I don't think there IS a ban from the Want box, just from the whole Hub. Unless a temp-ban person can correct me on that, then please do. That'd be good to know.

Aren't the blank Want boxes from browser errors, aside from the users who decide not to put anything at all? I thought I saw the browser error thing somewhere when the blank Want boxes first started appearing. Could be wrong, though. Like, the browser wouldn't load the Want box so you couldn't even put any Want/Have for your trade.

Edited by animatedrose

I think someone here stated that they couldn't use the want box at all any more...

Hmmm. I could've missed that, if so, @olympe. I've never been banned and have no plans to be, so I have no clue what a ban entails in terms of what all you're blocked from doing. I'd hope it was just from the Want box.

Well, there was this:

On 8/19/2018 at 12:17 AM, ArmoredWingPhoenix said:

It seems that the "want" toggle box has been removed from my trading center. I can still make a public trade, but I don't have the option to put up what I want. Is anyone else having this problem?

Since the thread got closed without a resolution of the kind "clearing my cache helped, everything works fine now", I assume that it was indeed a ban.

Weird. I think most of the other bans have just been total bans from the hub. It doesn't make much of a difference, I think (getting what you actually want is hard enough; imagine if you couldn't even say what you wanted).

I agree with what angelicdragonpuppy said above. Especially the offering on multiple trades thing.

This thread was designed as a feedback thread for the initial launch of the Trading Hub. Now that it's evolved into ways to improve the Trading Hub, I'm going to close this out and request that members splinter off ideas into individual threads. I don't want the ideas in here getting lost, and they'll get more visibility in separate threads.

If there are any ideas in here people have proposed that they'd like to have a thread-focused discussion about, please create those topics in Suggestions/Requests.