TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

2 minutes ago, rayemoon said:

Okay, another thing. So, isn't the market thingie with gold/shards/whatever supposed to help those who have a hard time catching stuffs? So how come you have to unlock them in encyclopedia to be able to purchase them, such as chickens, papers, etc? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the market being to help you get what is difficult to find?

You can also unlock by observing, check out the Encyclopedia Helpers thread in Site Discussion to view what you need.

Edited by Whirlaway

@rayemoon You don't have to raise a dragon to unlock it in your encyclopedia though. You can observe them to unlock them, and while some are more difficult to unlock than others, you can still do it without having a single one of that dragon on your scroll.

Phew, well I got a pair of each and i am totally satified. I'll be back to hunt for more later. Though, the adult forms will determine which one wins the house cup of course. Lol! xD

I'll look over all these other amazing features later. I need some sleep. Good night all, and good luck on the hunt!

Congrats to our new mods, thanks to TJ and our amazing Spriters who do an EPIC job as always, and Happy Birthday to dragon cave! I cant believe its been two whole years since we were given the Frills and Old pinks back. My Frill army has taken over and I'm still picking them up with a smile. 😁

Is the trading history broken for anyone else? All I see is a big red X and 

Nothing to see here
There are no teleports to display. You can only view teleports that have occurred in the past 30 days.

But I've made *plenty* of teleports and done tons of trades within that time period. Is it like the Encyclopedia and only counts stuff since it was implemented?

I, uh... wasn't expecting the market. It seems reasonably well balanced though, especially with eggs not being tradeable.

Absolutely phenomenal sprite updates. The red especially is some inspired work! I'm coming up to the tenth year that I've been on this site and I'm so glad to see it keep growing.  

Would possibly explain why they are at the very back of breed sorts, if Dinos and Chickens were listed like such.

6 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Why does DC update sprites?  Why not just give us new dragons?  Or retire old reds and make new reds?  I’ve collected any army of frozen seasonal hatchlings, and you take a chainsaw to to it?  Why?  Can someone explain how a company can urrge me to collect something, and then change it a decade later?  Why?

My best explanation to sprite updates would be that the website is constantly updating its artwork standards, and eventually older sprites get updated to match the new standards. 

There was a thread that went into a deep discussion about sprite updates that's probably locked and gone now, but someone had mentioned its like with Pokemon. The art style gets better with every game, but the monster is still recognizable.

I wish I could explain it better, but that's all I've got for you. 

--

On a different note,

284716597_TradingHub-NoChickensorDinos.PNG.21ecc99550ec5205f7c9d53f3fb0d7fd.PNG

No dinos. No chickens. :(

Love the Hogwarts eggs!

1 minute ago, Shokomon said:

On a different note,

284716597_TradingHub-NoChickensorDinos.PNG.21ecc99550ec5205f7c9d53f3fb0d7fd.PNG

No dinos. No chickens. :(

Strange, it appears for me

13 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Why does DC update sprites?  Why not just give us new dragons?  Or retire old reds and make new reds?  I’ve collected any army of frozen seasonal hatchlings, and you take a chainsaw to to it?  Why?  Can someone explain how a company can urrge me to collect something, and then change it a decade later?  Why?

I'm sorry you feel that way. DC is not a company. It's a person; me, who is trying to put forth the best experience possible for everyone who is gracious enough to give me the valuable time out of their day. And because of that, it's hard to leave art on the site with objective flaws, knowing that there is a huge gap of standards between what was released 10-11 years ago and what would be released today. I know that's a lot of time to build up emotional attachment, but for every person who is upset by the transition to different art, it's been pretty evident that there are even more people who are excited to now have art that is more inline with the current standards of the site.

That said, there are plenty of companies willing to let you spent time admiring art and features a certain way, only to change them. Nintendo and Riot Games (makers of, you know, Pokemon and League of Legends, which are one of the most beloved video game franchises and literally the most popular game in the world respectively) do this all the time. It's a weird cost-benefit analysis when emotions come into play, but in the end, it's almost always worth it.

7 minutes ago, Brekke said:

1404406564801.pngPikachu-Pokemon-Go.png

Pikachu sprite, 1996 -- Pikachu sprite, 2002 -- Pikachu 3D model, 2016

Think of DC as less like buying art to hang up in your house, and more like playing Pokemon: as you transfer an old, beloved Pikachu up through the generations of games, its representation changes to match the game it's currently in. Nobody would buy Pokemon games today except a small, select group of nostalgic oldbies if Pikachu still looked like the first image. The updated graphics are meant to both recapture the imagination of existing fans, and draw in new fans who expect shinier, newer, more "modern" aesthetics. It may disappoint and alienate a small number of people, but generally, the overall change is positive from the company's point of view.

Happy Birthday!

The new sprites are nice ...but... the male Winter used to be one of my favourite sprites because his pose with the hunched shoulders and the arms posed just so always reminded me of Elvis Presley. Now sadly Elvis has left the building :(

2 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Not digging the Harry Potter plagiarism.  

I don't think it's actually plagiarism if there is absolutely no mention of anything related to HP? I mean, concepts are not copyrightable, so having a few dragons with a similar concept, similar colors, etc is not actually wrong at all.

Wow, what an update! Thanks, TJ and congrats to the new moderators. :) 

Can't wait to see how the trader's canyon (?) works out! In other news, how do we get to the /market/ through the site without having to type it into the url? Haven't quite figured that out, yet.

Edited by lovecats99

So, the problem with spazz-clicking for hunting is sometimes you lock yourself with too many of one breed and can't get another.  /sigh.  Managed 3 alpine and 3 volcano (and 2 forests)  so now I have to wait 5+ hours to get a coast pair.  /sigh

Just now, lovecats99 said:

Can't wait to see how the trader's canyon (?) and works out! In other news, how do we get to the /market/ through the site without having to type it into the url? Haven't quite figured that out, yet.

Trader's Canyon..🤔 I love it! Can we make that the official name please?! Either way I wanna call it that.

1 minute ago, lovecats99 said:

Can't wait to see how the trader's canyon (?) works out! In other news, how do we get to the /market/ through the site without having to type it into the url? Haven't quite figured that out, yet.

click on the shard icon next to your name. :)