TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Just now, Raynaleon said:

Is it okay that I took like one day to realise that the new dragons were hogwarts inspired

Whats wrong with you!?!?

Only joking xD For a self professed Potterhead it took me almost an hour to realize...and only realized cause someone in the DC irc chat was like "OMG HARRY POTTER EGGS" ...so yeah you are fine 😛

1 minute ago, Vampyre said:

Whats wrong with you!?!?

Only joking xD For a self professed Potterhead it took me almost an hour to realize...and only realized cause someone in the DC irc chat was like "OMG HARRY POTTER EGGS" ...so yeah you are fine 😛

Fantastic. I'll live to see another day xD

9 minutes ago, Raynaleon said:

Is it okay that I took like one day to realise that the new dragons were hogwarts inspired

I never would have realized if nobody had mentioned it on the forums. All I saw was a red egg, a yellow egg, a green egg, and a blue egg, so what I thought was "Lego colors".  :lol:

The only reason I even noticed was because of people on the forums mentioning it. I couldn’t care less for HP anymore so I practically forgot about the houses and colors...

9 minutes ago, Raynaleon said:

Fantastic. I'll live to see another day xD

Lol I read " Fantastic" and....thought of Fantastic Beasts xD Thanks lol!

Yaya though my babus are all almost hatchable so time for ERing :D

lol Yeah I totally would've never realize the connection if people here hadn't been so excited over it. I've watched one of the movies and know enough about all the books but it's not something my mind jumps to (and honestly the houses sort of confuse me). 

I just realized something very important that I'm going to have to train my brain on- When I hunt the biomes I'm trained to reflex-click on unusually long descriptions, because it might be a dino 'cause all their descriptions are long. But these new eggs *all* have descriptions that are long enough to trigger that reflex. Ugh.

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

lol Yeah I totally would've never realize the connection if people here hadn't been so excited over it. I've watched one of the movies and know enough about all the books but it's not something my mind jumps to (and honestly the houses sort of confuse me). 

I just realized something very important that I'm going to have to train my brain on- When I hunt the biomes I'm trained to reflex-click on unusually long descriptions, because it might be a dino 'cause all their descriptions are long. But these new eggs *all* have descriptions that are long enough to trigger that reflex. Ugh.

At least Dinos only appear in the Jungle, of which none of these guys do... But I get what you mean.

Five of my eight new release eggs are set to hatch right now. I'm very excited about it. :) It's a shame I have to go to school instead of getting another batch early but oh well, there's always the afternoon.

Well, I got my first batch all hatched and named. I can't wait to breed them with the muggle dragons, I mean the other awesome dragons! xD

I thought my naming scheme was pretty clever.

Screenshot_20180523-022548.jpg

Im starting to think the viewbombers have a list of names in a script that they just activate during releases. Why?

I unhid my er eggs at around 1.1k views each...less than 30 minutes later in ONE hatchery (AOND) they were hatched and well over 2K views...plus the second lot of eggs I was grabbing and influencing started gaining views before i could hide them (not all of them...some i got influenced and hidden in time).

So thinking "wow those views on my hatchies are kind of high?" I went and checked silvi's lair and sure enough my buddies were in it...when I never put them there. Heck I had 2 clouds of fog listed as being entered (eggs that they entered just before I fogged them I think?)

Anyways its either that or i have a personal viewbomber who has made it their life's goal to tick me off? Though how fun can it be to stalk my scroll around release time on the off chance I unhide my stuff? Lol ...such a pity you viewbombers cant find joy unless you're being (insert your own choice name for viewbombers here)

Anyways happy...my first set are all hatched (and safely hidden for now) and got a second lot that I've influenced and safely hidden as well so I'll have 2 pairs of each egg :D

Thank you TJ and Spriters...  

Are they truly Hogwarts inspired???

4 hours ago, cbussiere said:

Also I always assumed they were shards of mana crystals, since crystals have become really significant in DC lore and their symbol looks like a cluster of crystals.

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

I've had the same problem already XD "Ooh ooh rare egg!!! Wait..." 

31 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

One of my friends wrote a short essay on almost exactly this subject/WHY this is the case from the perspective of an RP character ranting in a blog post and it was really interesting, I'll drop it in a spoiler tag edited to be DC-forum-appropriate.

Spoiler

you know what also makes no sense the number of people who are like ‘oh hah fiat currency is ridiculous.’ no its not currency is ridiculous period but as long as youre trying to do that fiat currency is like the best idea bartering is [crap] once youre dealing with communities of more than like six people all living together on a compound butt naked living with nature in harmony thats communism waiting to happen and commodtiy currency is basically the exact same as fiat currency with an extra step and representative currency is just fiat currency with 2 extra steps. lets break this down though: what exactly is the point of currency? to create something approaching a shared understanding of value - yeah you and I may disagree this thing is worth ten dollars but we can agree on the general value of ten dollars in the more abstract sense. The most important things for currency in order to maintain this use are twofold - people must be able to count on the value of currency, and that stated value needs to remain relatively consistent over time. So let’s look at other major forms of currency exchange. We won’t count barter because we’re not communists or barbarians, so let’s roll straight into commodity currency. First things first, representative currency and commodity currency are, for all intents and purposes the same thing. At least for this particular conversation. So we’re going to call representative currency commodity currency because I’m lazy. The real division lies not in whether you’re trading with a commodity or an item which represents that commodity, but instead in whether that commodity is something that is valuable for its potential use, or something valued for its aesthetic value - let’s call these commodity-u and commodity-v, respectively.
So the thing is, commodity-v? That’s basically fiat currency anyways. “What do you mean, senpai? There’s clearly a difference between currency backed by something physical, and backed by no more than a region’s word!” First of all, shut up I’m getting there. Second of all, no there’s really not. In order to have a representative currency period, you need a shared understanding of value of the commodity in question. The thing is, once that metric has been established, the commodity itself is entirely divorced from the value of the currency. The shared understanding of value is based on basically haggling out a value to place on something that doesn’t inherently have it. I.E. It’s an arbitrary value agreed on by a society at large. Exactly like fiat currency.
Okay, well what about commodity-u? Remember what I said is important about currency in the first place? You need to be able to count on its value and it needs to remain consistent over time. You know what a commodity currency based on a commodity you actually use doesn’t do? Either of those things. Say you have ten [healing] potions, and that is the basis of your entire personal wealth, potions are what currency is based off. You just got punched in the face by a small angry anime cultist and had to use a potion. Oh [crap], you have just personally [screw]ed the entire value of this theoretical currency! Oh but more are produced, okay, alright. The thing is, consistent use and replenishment of a given commodity means hugely fluctuating values and inflation that can only really be dealt with on tiny scales of small communities of like the size of a single region.

If you assume this RP character is Generally Correct on the subject, then shards of a rare shiny mineral makes WAY more sense than shards of solid mana as currency.

Ah. Mana talk. I would like to tap one Island, one Swamp, and three Wastes for one Blue, one Black, and three colorless mana to play Scarab God. 

Shards of Obtanium (as opposed to unobtanium since we can clearly obtain these shards with reasonable effort)?

Is there going to be a link from the main site to the marketplace? I have only found out how to get there by entering the URL… Or have I missed where it is hidden?

24 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Shards of Obtanium (as opposed to unobtanium since we can clearly obtain these shards with reasonable effort)?

XD This.... AND we can use those shards to OBTAIN dragons! I like it. I fear I shall think of them as this, now...

7 minutes ago, mpolo said:

Is there going to be a link from the main site to the marketplace? I have only found out how to get there by entering the URL… Or have I missed where it is hidden?

On Default skin, click the number+shards symbol at the top, next to your name.

If the symbol next to that number is a "g" instead, do a hard refresh (clear cache) to get the updated site font.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

5 hours ago, Jazeki said:

I'm glad the new eggs are still fairly easy to catch.  My first batch has hatched and I've gotten a few more new ones without having to click and refresh like mad. 

Me too. It's wonderful :)

I just got my second batch as easily as I got the first! 😃

The gryffindor hatchlings' colours are amazing!
That bright yellow and that amazing, rich red!

I think I need to hoard those s2s!