TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Yeah, I think getting food was more important than collecting dragons

41 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

In mediaeval days, eating was rather more important than bling...

Farmers made and still make a business out of selling food for "bling" and "bling" is pretty important for running a farm and/or a household - taxes, money you need to put back into the home and farm for upkeep's sake, extra amenities, ect.

Edited by blockEdragon

13 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

Farmers made and still make a business out of selling food for "bling" and "bling" is pretty important for running a farm and/or a household - taxes, money you need to put back into the home and farm for upkeep's sake, extra amenities, ect.

In those days trading goods for goods was very common. Still is in many areas. I once traded an old stereo system for a staircase... and just recently beer for bread... Local Exchange Trading Systems are getting more and more common; my local area in the UK has one running.

i once traded a lawnmower for a year's worth of lawnmowing :) 

i'm loving that we can now save up shards to buy a gold, even if it takes a long time. it took me 6 years to get my first gold, and that was through trading. i've never been able to catch one with slow internet. luckily i find chickens much easier to catch, so have a flock of chickens and chicks :D

i'm a bit sad at the changes to the reds, as i loved the medieval heraldic look of the old ones, and they are my oldest and longest lineage. the newest additions to my red velvet empire all have names derived from medieval words for red. i've sent some of their eggs to the ap.

Edited by greycat

If "shards," are anything akin to what currency was in the old days I very much doubt a farmer would pass up literal actual precious metal for an egg they get dozens if not hundreds of every day...

It's not like in Ye Olde times money wasn't important; it was just that most people couldn't obtain or afford things that were bought and sold with real money. If I went up to a farmer and offered them actual gold vs someone offering him a chicken or loaf of bread for their egg.... I'm pretty sure I'd be out on top too. It's just that more expensive things like dyes and furs and such weren't really seen as accessible to the layperson - but you bet if they had the funds they'd be super happy to trade an egg for gold and get some exotic spice from halfway across the world just to try. 

Plus, shards (assuming they are mana shards) are literal actual magic. Things that breathe fire and life and electricity and everything in between. I think it's a little silly to say that "bling," ain't worth a thing compared to a loaf of stale bread... but that's just my take. 

18 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

In those days trading goods for goods was very common. Still is in many areas. I once traded an old stereo system for a staircase... and just recently beer for bread... Local Exchange Trading Systems are getting more and more common; my local area in the UK has one running.

That is kind of totally awesome, I wish we had more of that around here. 

This does bring up an interesting question, though, what exactly *are* 'shards'? I guess mana shards is the most obvious, but they could also be 'shards' as in 'scales', like dragon scales... I thought awhile back something was mentioned about humans not having tons of access to *actual* raw mana, but I could be totally misremembering. 

i am so late for the party ops, loving the sprite updates! and i went ahead super late and got my eggs too :')

Just make pacts with your dragons for them to occasionally share their kills. Why buy and sell and raise and collect eggs from and kill chickens if you can just snatch some eggs of a loyal breed of dragon and raise them as companions and have them collect meats and/or plants for you?

Also I always assumed they were shards of mana crystals, since crystals have become really significant in DC lore and their symbol looks like a cluster of crystals.

Oh my goodness, they are totally Harry Potter themed. A bird like dragon for Ravenclaw, a snake like dragon for Slytherin, a lion like dragon for Griffindor, and a badger like dragon for Hufflepuff! And the colors corrospond and everything! Oh wow! So excited for the adult sprites!!

25 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

Just make pacts with your dragons for them to occasionally share their kills. Why buy and sell and raise and collect eggs from and kill chickens if you can just snatch some eggs of a loyal breed of dragon and raise them as companions and have them collect meats and/or plants for you?

Also I always assumed they were shards of mana crystals, since crystals have become really significant in DC lore and their symbol looks like a cluster of crystals.

Why on earth did I never think of that?! Just share food with your dragons, so simple!

My first batch of eggs all have their first cracks!! People who got them right away should be getting hatchlings any moment, yay!

Got another round of new eggs and now am just waiting on one last Alpine to hatch so I can grab another of the Forest ones.

47 minutes ago, BunnyTheDragonRider said:

Oh my goodness, they are totally Harry Potter themed. A bird like dragon for Ravenclaw, a snake like dragon for Slytherin, a lion like dragon for Griffindor, and a badger like dragon for Hufflepuff! And the colors corrospond and everything! Oh wow! So excited for the adult sprites!!

THIS!! Lol I was like....huh...this seems very...famililar.... ;)

Now we just gotta wait for a Game of Thrones release set. A new dragon for each of the Noble Houses of Westeros. #HouseTargaryenVolcano #HouseGreyjoyCoast #HouseStarkAlpine #HouseLanisterForest #HouseBaratheonDesert #HouseTyrellJungle

Edited by SarkhanVol

11 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

Now we just gotta wait for a Game of Thrones release set. A new dragon for each of the Noble Houses of Westeros. #HouseTargaryenVolcano #HouseGreyjoyCoast #HouseStarkAlpine #HouseLanisterForest #HouseBaratheonDesert #HouseTyrellJungle

I would love that! Maybe that should be the theme for the 13th birthday. :P 

My eggs still have a few more hours before they can hatch and even then it'll only be a few. I'm definitely starting to regret filling up with other eggs before the birthday release. I'm dying to get a few more of these new beauties! 

13 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

That would be awesome! I don't watch it, but I know there are dragons, so it fits!

I have one hatched, one of the blue ones, and 4 more with final-stage holes. Yay! ...... Now, should I grab more in case they don't breed well, or should I go back to AP hunting?

13 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

I will cry literal tears of joy!!

i have so many GoT names, and house inspired dragons would just be amazing!

Please TJ and spriters

I'll hoard Lannister dragons lol

36 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

yes! i love that idea. i would hoard starks and targaryens :)

i'm really enjoying the harry potter theme with these new eggs. i like the slytherin and ravenclaw hatchies best.  i just wish i'd realised a day sooner that there were eggs. i'm usually around at the beginning, but now i have to wait a whole day and three hours before anything hatches :(

Edited by greycat

I absolutely LOVE the names I've given my Hogwarts dragons.  I'll share them after my all my babies hatch. I also can't believe I grabbed two more Slytherens, another Hufflepuff and two more Gryffindors right after! Yay!

Grabbed the last Forest and now have another set of two each. Now to wait for the adults...

Is it okay that I took like one day to realise that the new dragons were hogwarts inspired

I'm glad the new eggs are still fairly easy to catch.  My first batch has hatched and I've gotten a few more new ones without having to click and refresh like mad. 

I also posted my first public trade. So exciting!