TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

16 hours ago, Tinibree said:

I don't see how it doesn't look like a medieval one anymore though? To me it looks just like the medieval dragons I've always loved. Unless its the art style? But for me the shading turning into scales makes it so much better than it was. I've always loved it for being the old fairy tale dragon too, but I don't think that's changed at all with the update.

I meant, not only a medieval dragon look, but the old-style pixels that remind me of some of my favorite old games. 

This is probably a silly/obvious question, but do the eggs/hatchlings that we list on the public trade get views from having their images there? I'd imagine that they wouldn't, but I just want to be sure. Also curious if there will ever be a way to list 1-way freebies; EATW had such a feature, and it was a great way to give out nice dragons to others without using the forums.

Edited by Natakiro

6 minutes ago, Natakiro said:

This is probably a silly/obvious question, but do the eggs/hatchlings that we list on the public trade get views from having their images there? I'd imagine that they wouldn't, but I just want to be sure.

I don't think they would, but I can't confirm that for sure. Whether they do or not, they are bound to get a certain number of views from people clicking onto the dragon's page and viewing. Some breeds in particular might attract a bit more curiosity and clicks so make sure you monitor any eggs/hatchlings you put up for trade, just in case. :)

7 minutes ago, Natakiro said:

This is probably a silly/obvious question, but do the eggs/hatchlings that we list on the public trade get views from having their images there? I'd imagine that they wouldn't, but I just want to be sure. Also curious if there will ever be a way to list 1-way freebies; EATW had such a feature and it was a great way to give out nice dragons to others without using the forums.

Ohh, good question about the views. I would hope not, don't want people trying to use it as a hatchery.

Also, it's not really advertised but TJ has a site for giving away dragons. I think there wouldn't be much purpose to such a feature though - how much different would it be from the AP? The only advantage I can think of is that users could see the dragon's lineage before they take it, so they might be more likely to pick something they have plans for rather than just pick by species and keep the egg because why not.

Thanks for the answers, you two! ^^ Covered what I was curious about. I know that they will get some clicks/views, but was more concerned about the image simply being there garnering views from just visiting the page; not a big deal for me, either way. And I know you can just use the AP or the Notice Board, but was, again, just curious about it.

Edited by Natakiro

Duuuude.  Sweet birthday celebration!  I can hardly wait to try out some of the new things.  I'm game (heh) for using the shards.  There is one dragon I need.  Will take a while to save up for it but it is wonderful to have it as an option.  :D

I hope the Slytherin dragon keeps a coiled pose into adulthood, it looks super cool and hasn't been done before.

Wow!! I'm simply amazed at the new market and trading features. Super excited to get my hands on some new eggs.

Wow!! I'm simply amazed at the new market and trading features. Super excited to get my hands on some new eggs.

17 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

I hope the Slytherin dragon keeps a coiled pose into adulthood, it looks super cool and hasn't been done before.

Omen Wyrms are sort of coiled, I know what you mean though. Could be fitting with a "wait for the right moment to strike" mentality. As opposed to, say, Gryffindor's more bold and active pose.

Edited by cbussiere

Happy birthday, Dragon Cave! Thank you for letting me live my fantasy of owning dragons! I love all of the new additions and the dragons are so cute! I can't wait to see what they look like growing up!

I almost have all of my pairs done, just have to trade away my extra alpine eggy and get a male volcano and I'm set! This has showed me that I need more male pinks, lol. (pretty sure I only have two... I need to get on that lol) 

Good luck to everyone in your hunting and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Between the two breeds updated with sprites, I much prefer the Red update over the Seasonal. The Seasonals are okay, though I do think the summer versions are the best done.

Late celebration, but happy birthday DC! I really appreciate all your effort to make a new release and system update! And also as a fan of Harry Potter, the new birthday releases are so awesome I can't wait to see their adult imagesXD SIRIUSLY, I check them every hour. 

But for me, new sprite of red and seasonal is quite surprising and little bit awkward..? I feel new red looks like a toy dragon because of the legs and mouth. Seasonals are pretty nice, the details that new sprites get, however I really love how the winter hatchies look like so the biggest change of it surprise me a lot. 

Anyway, new things are new things, I think somehow I can get used to them someday :) And I'm expecting how the market and currency system gonna make an effect to the trading and overall playing. 

34 minutes ago, Whirlaway said:

though I do think the summer versions are the best done.

The Summer female is my favorite, and one of the few which I think is a solid and definite improvement over the old sprite (the others being the Autumn female and Summer male). Her tweaked pose is so much more dynamic - she looks so curious and tensely poised, focusing on that falling leaf. I think a lot of the other new poses lose some... shape communication? The Spring female no longer looks like half a heart and her strong line of motion has been totally disrupted, the Autumn male's forelegs stick out oddly instead of being neatly tucked into his chest, the Winters have been given looser poses that no longer look like frozen sentinels (female was tensely tucked and male appeared to be standing guard) and don't seem to communicate any ideas like the Spring male's leaping mirth at the fresh season... But yeah, the Summers are really nice.

Also, I just realized the new ones have a propatagium now. Good on you, whoever updated them (TheCompleteAnimorph? They're listed on the dragons' pages but not the Wiki yet).

@Yuhye The Market page says bought eggs aren't tradable, so probably there won't be a huge effect on trading. I'm assuming there will just be less demand for CB eggs. Though the high amount of time required to buy rare eggs (41 weeks minimum for a Gold, which is almost a year) will probably ensure that demand for "true" CBs stays high. As for overall playing, it'll probably slightly increase site activity. People who only played monthly for the new release might be more inclined to log on weekly to hit their shard limit.

Edited by cbussiere

3 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

Good on you, whoever updated them (TheCompleteAnimorph? They're listed on the dragons' pages but not the Wiki yet).

Yeah, that's TCA who updated the Seasonals.

I find it amusing that the most expensive item in the market is the common domestic chicken.

1 hour ago, blockEdragon said:

Yeesssss that would be so awesome. We have a few loopity/circular dragon poses but none actually coiled, I'd love to see that on an adult.

20 minutes ago, Fortis said:

I find it amusing that the most expensive item in the market is the common domestic chicken.

Heh! I hadn't thought of it that way, but that is indeed amusing. Even with the medieval-ish DC setting it's strange to think that a common chicken is more valuable then a Gold dragon.

39 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

The Summer female is my favorite, and one of the few which I think is a solid and definite improvement over the old sprite (the others being the Autumn female and Summer male). Her tweaked pose is so much more dynamic - she looks so curious and tensely poised, focusing on that falling leaf. I think a lot of the other new poses lose some... shape communication? The Spring female no longer looks like half a heart and her strong line of motion has been totally disrupted, the Autumn male's forelegs stick out oddly instead of being neatly tucked into his chest, the Winters have been given looser poses that no longer look like frozen sentinels (female was tensely tucked and male appeared to be standing guard) and don't seem to communicate any ideas like the Spring male's leaping mirth at the fresh season... But yeah, the Summers are really nice.

Also, I just realized the new ones have a propatagium now. Good on you, whoever updated them (TheCompleteAnimorph? They're listed on the dragons' pages but not the Wiki yet).

Unfortunately, some of the exaggerated shapes of the old ones, while they did have a bit more of an emotive vibe, were not meshing well with applying actual anatomy, especially at the time I was making these. I tried my best and I'm glad you like the Summer lady, that's the one I had the greatest sentimental attachment to personally.

One of my oldest and most beloved dragons is this Summer Seasonal, Sabishii. She was obtained at the original release of Summers, before they had dimorphism. When the dimorphic sprites were added, I was absolutely crushed by how she went from looking aloof and powerful to looking... well... melted. Awkward. Awful anatomy and so much detail hidden by a bad angle. I had been salty for a long time, and when I had the opportunity to try my hand at updated sprites for the Seasonals, I wanted to breathe life back into Sabishii like she deserved.

Only need to hunt down a Blue and Green Dino egg. Then I have everything unlocked in the Market for purchasing.

Then I get to save up for 9-10 months to get me that Gold~! Or Thunder, depending.

1 hour ago, Whirlaway said:

Between the two breeds updated with sprites, I much prefer the Red update over the Seasonal. The Seasonals are okay, though I do think the summer versions are the best done.

I'm incredibly excited to start collecting seasonals and Summers in particular (good thing I won't have to wait super long!) they really look so nice :D

Ahhhh, Happy Birthday Dragon Cave!

I managed to get almost two of each new dragon last night, if it weren't for me being at 7 to egg-lock I would have had a full set (soon, very soon).

Personally I like the idea of the market, though to be honest, I'll likely forget it exists for a while, haha. That might be a good thing though, unknowingly hording shards for a rainy day.

Also the updates to the Red and Seasonal dragons are very nicely done! I like how much more fierce the Reds look.

Edited by dark_sama

26 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Heh! I hadn't thought of it that way, but that is indeed amusing. Even with the medieval-ish DC setting it's strange to think that a common chicken is more valuable then a Gold dragon.

I guess no one ever thinks to just take a trip down to the farm and buy the pre-hatched chicks at like two shards a piece.

In mediaeval days, eating was rather more important than bling...

@TCA Oh, thanks for replying! Good to know about the anatomy, and I'm glad you were able to fix something you were unhappy with. :)

Edit: By the dragons' pages, I meant individual dragons on DC, not the wiki page.

Edited by cbussiere

1 hour ago, cbussiere said:

The actual dragon's page isn't updated with the new sprites yet. Since the event that revealed the update is still going on, they are on the Currently Being Released page of the wiki. Once the event ends, they'll be moved to the dragon page.

Edited by Vrack