TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

28 minutes ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

the Latin name for badger is Mustelidae, so the name could be influenced by that.

No it isn't.

They're Mustelids, but that isn't part of their binominal name. The European badger is Meles meles.

it will take about 11 months just to get 1 gold egg from the market, assuming the prices won't get higher 😂

Just snagged the last two I needed! Woot! Much easier to grab this morning. Just now noticing the Hogwart's House theory people have mentioned. If it turns out to be true, I'm gonna have to snag more green eggs 😉

Wow I got 2 eggs in each area, with no problems at all, first time ever.

Thanks TJ and Spriters.

In celebration of the Birthday I just bred about 8 of my 2nd gen Prizes. Mostly Prize eggs went straight to the AP. Happy Birthday, DC! Happy hunting!

just saw the hatchlings! now i'm guaranteed that they resemble the 4 houses of Hogwarts XD

more griffindor for me 😍

7 hours ago, Syiren said:

I know that you're not happy, and I respect that, but I think of it this way. I can't do it better and I don't own any rights to the dragons so I don't feel I have a right to complain. Example, I'm not the biggest fan of the male Frill sprite, but I can easily ignore it and over time its honestly grown on me. 

Its nice to see the new Red sprite, especially after someone brought to attention the fact that another site was using the original sprite. 

All this - not least the bit about its use elsewhere, which was thoroughly unpleasant when it came up.

7 hours ago, TCA said:

image.png.cb0c679ef3c9061792e4f3c23e0a0a4b.png

ok

TCA that is amazing. Seasonals were never my favourites, even though I have many lineages - but these really are better.

And even if I didn't LIKE them as well (sentiment; the red does hurt a bit) your work is brilliant - and so is Birdz' (isn't it ?) work on the reds. I am a little sad abut them because i am very old and sentimental - but it has all been very tasteful and not in your face. Well done.

OOH and I just looked at a few lineages. The red does actually look awful good...

Life goes on. Even when you're 73, as I am. Much credit where it's due.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

So far, I love all the new Features, Sprites and Dragons : )

Would have dreamed to see a 10/30 Limit, hehe but maybe on the 13th Birthday : P

Happy Birthday DC! :D I can't believe it's already twelve years! And that I'm here for most of that time, soon my scroll will be hitting the ten years mark. Wow, now I'm feeling kinda old, haha xD

I'm in love with the updated spirtes, they look absolutely gorgeus! And I'm really looking forward to test all the new feauters.

Finally got two of each of the new eggs. I can't wait to see how the new dragons will look like! The eggs - especially green and red ones - look amazing :wub:

I almost always hate updates to classic sprites, so there's really no point on my commenting on it. The issue isn't how good the new sprite is or isn't, it's that in most cases I have already built lineages based on the strengths and weaknesses of the original design, so it's inevitably disappointing to me to have that yanked out. I'd 100% rather see the effort put into a new dragon design instead. But I've grown inured to the fact that they happen, so whatever.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the HP dragons grow into!

I feel better now I have a pair of each!  Thanks for the new dragons, I hope they are as nice as their eggs.

I do like the red sprite, I had never liked the old one much.  The new one is the same dragon but better.  The seasonals look nice too, I liked them fine they way they were, though.

Will have to look at the market and stuff later.

Ooh now that they've hatched I'm even more inclined to go along with the Hogwarts theory! I'm so glad I was able to get two of the blue ones - Ravenclaw is it for me.

The brown ones look so cute though, and their description is adorable :wub:

Happy Birthday DC! :D Love all the new features.

I got myself at least 1 of each egg - accidently got 1 too many blue eggs so I shall trade it away for 1 green in a few hours.

I've not been reading the thread (been too caught up with my new chickens!) so I don't know if it has been said, but these magical eggs remind me of the Harry Potter houses!

Happy Birthday, Dragon Cave !!

A happy DC birthday to all of us, since all of us are part of DC !

Thank you, spriters, event builders, mods, and gifters !! You all make this game such a special, wonderful experience !!

And most of all, thank you, @TJ09 !!

A dozen years ago you brought a fantastic game into the world (and yes, that's ages in internet-years), and you kept it going, growing and flourishing through all that time !

And, most important of all: You never, not in success and not in hardship and adversity, lost your vision and your way for it !! That's something truly exceptional, and something I really admire about your way of running this game ! Too many people get either greedy, or bored, or swayed by some clamouring part of their fanbase, but you kept true to the spirit of what DC should be (or what I guess that you want it to be). That takes a measure of care, self-confidence and integrity not many game designers/executives have (or display).

And it gave me a game that I still love playing after half a dozen years, now, with no sign of getting tired of it for at least the next half a dozen more.

Many thanks, and congratulations !!

Happy 12th Birthday, DC!

Thank you TJ for the new eggs and for the new features - they are much appreciated.

I have a quick question which I hope someone can answer. Will 'Notifications' apply to PMs? I really do hope so because email notifications are not really great as they don't always come through and it would be lovely to know if I do get a PM.

As for the sprite changes . . . First off I am not a fan of chance - in anything. And I have to say that thus far I have not liked any of the changes to the sprites - with the exception of the male Gold which finally grew on me after a long time. And I'm afraid I really do not like the updates to the Reds or the Seasonals - especially the male Winter, which was one of my favourite sprites. I loved the more 'rounded' feel to them, now I really don't care for them - mind you I didn't really like the first update of them several years ago.

I do not doubt that technically they are better than the original ones. I do not doubt that spriters improve and over the years their work changes and they like their older work to reflect the changes. That said I still do not see the necessity for revamping older stuff. I write and personally I like to see how my writing has improved over the years; I have no desire to go back and rewrite older stories to make them more 'correct' or technically 'better', etc. etc. I would far rather work on new stories - and I like to see how other writers have changed. And for me that applies to art too.

I think one of the biggest differences and maybe the main reason why some people do not like the new sprites is because the vast majority of people who play the game are not artists (at least I am presuming that). As such we do not judge art by how technically good or poor it is, we judge it with what we like; what makes us smile; what makes us happy; what looks good to us - even if technically it isn't 'right', even if atomically it is incorrect.

I've read through this entire thread and I can totally understand what the spriters are saying and I can sit and look at what they have pointed out as being 'wrong' with the old Reds & Seasonals and I can understand what they are saying. However, I also find myself thinking 'so what'? I don't care that the old sprites aren't as technically 'correct' as the new ones; I still prefer the old sprites. Objectively I can understand that the new sprites are 'better'. However, subjectively I don't see that; to me they are not 'better' because when it comes to art I view things subjectively, not objectively and I suspect quite a few of those people who don't really care for the changes are the same.

And just because I don't particularly like the changes (especially for the male Winter & the Red) it doesn't mean that I don't or can't understand from where the artists' are coming and how they see the new sprites as 'better'. I do understand and I respect that; I really do. Yes, they may be technically better and more correct, but you know what? I don't care that they are technically 'better'  - I still prefer the older ones.

However, the chances have been made and I accept that. I don't have to particularly like them, but they are here and they are here to stay. We don't have to pay for the game and we get an awful lot of fun and pleasure out of it and TJ works jolly hard. It's impossible to please all of the people all of time - in fact I think it's impossible to please all of the people any of time - because that's human nature. I think it's lovely that we have DC, I think it's great that people are prepared to sprite and work with TJ to help keep the place running and give us new things.

I honestly do not mean any disrespect when I say I prefer the old sprites to the new, not at all. It is purely a matter of personal choice - my subjective personal choice. I suspect that were I an artist (and I'm not, not in any way at all) I might well feel the same about the technical mattering so much. So thank you to those who have been involved in what I'm sure is the hard work which has gone into making the Reds & Seasonals 'better' technically.

New Help Mods

SkyWolf25 and StormWizard212

New Site Discussion Mods

Kaini and Sesshomaru

Congrats all of you!

Congrats TJ and DC for all the entertainment and fun you've given us, we think you're great!

Just wanted to drop in and say that I love the sprite update for the Reds and Seasonals! The Reds look so much more fierce now.

WONDERFUL updates! So happy to still be a part of this community all these years later. Thank you, and Happy Birthday DC!

Happy birthday DC! :D

Many thanks to TJ and the spriters.