TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

5 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Thanks for the honesty—I wish everyone on this thread were as honest.  Clearly those pooh poohing me didn’t have THEIR favorite ruined.  

I've said several times that it's valid to be upset because a sprite you were attached to changed and you no longer like the sprite. I understand your frusrtation and it's a normal feeling. I was "pooh poohing" you because you weren't posting that you disliked the new sprites, but were claiming that the new sprites were objectively worse than the originals, and that the originals were better sprites than most recent work, which just isn't true.

In the mean time, I would suggest giving yourself time to get used to the new sprites. They may grow on you--you'll be surprised. I can't tell you how many times I've made a change to a sprite I'm working on as a result of critique, hated it because I've spent several hours staring at a different silhouette, and then compared a couple weeks later and been shocked by how much worse the original was. This could be a similar situation; once your eyes adjust, you may end up liking the new sprites, potentially even more than the original.

I'm curious to see if this in-cave trading will drastically change or slow down the trading threads here on the forums. Also curious to see if most people will do both or just one or the other, ie only post their trade on the forums, or make it public in the site Trading section, or do both for the same trade? Double the exposure, but possibly also double the unwanted offers.

Happy Birthday Dragon Cave!

These Eggs are gorgeous! I can't wait to see what the dragons look like! and the sprite updates to the Red and Seasonals was a much needed change. I can't wait to see how the Market and new Trading system affect the way we play!

also tfw you only have 7 egg slots so you can only get 3 pairs and 1 solo.😭

8 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Thanks for the honesty—I wish everyone on this thread were as honest.  Clearly those pooh poohing me didn’t have THEIR favorite ruined.  

It’s ok. Maybe one day there’ll be a dragon collecting site that uses more cartoonish art rather than realistic, that way you can get the best of both worlds. :)

@Aleoleo God yes, baby Albinos are precious.

And I’ll give credit where credit is due—a lot of the lineage tiles do look really similar, and I appreciate it. Seeing everything side by side I also appreciate some of the overall changes more (in particular  the female summer and spring and male winter look mucho better). Unfortunately though it seems the ones I most enjoyed originally (both falls and male springs) changed the most. The tail pose changes and the diminishing of some of the supporting colors (pink a bit less in your face on the spring wing, male fall tail reduction) are sad things. :’c 

Random other thoughts, but I like the thought that EATW lives on in the new market, in a way.

And let’s be real, dorsals are the most needed sprite update, haha. I still have to squint to pretend to see shading... like the design of the dragons, but needs major 3Dizing.

1 minute ago, PieMaster said:

To be fair, it's gonna be hard to match the fullness of circular limb components. The newer Seasonals are still fairly robust proportionally, but more realistically now.

I understand what you're saying about the components. I make graphics for fun and I can be picky on whatever I'm working on. But I'm considering my aesthetic attraction to the old Seasonals compared to the new Seasonals, and it just isn't there any longer. I would love having a legacy view that stardust13 mentioned. Since the Seasonals are going to remain this way, it would be nice if a token gesture could be given to those who could still enjoy their lineages as they had originally planned them. Although I don't know how difficult that is to program. Maybe it's just too hard to do.

Happy Birthday DC!

I noticed the trading section immediately because I keep clicking it instead of going to my dragons :lol:

Not so keen on another sprite update... But the features are very welcome, I'm curious to see how everything will adjust now.

Most importantly though - yay for another dragon release! I'm looking forward to see whether these turn out to be connected in some way and/or have a special feature.

I could get only two eggs because I'm egglocked and I probably stay scroll-locked after they hatch as well x_x

1 minute ago, Sextonator said:

It’s ok. Maybe one day there’ll be a dragon collecting site that uses more cartoonish art rather than realistic, that way you can get the best of both worlds. :)

Well, bless your heart!

If the market is meant for acquiring eggs that you haven't managed to find, then why does it require the species to be unlocked first? Kind of defeats the point, as far as I see it. If you can't catch it, you can't get it from the market either..

Such as the dinos. Never seen those, so can't buy them from the market.

Edited by Genjar

And the site has crashed

(I'll have you someday Coasties, SOMEDAY!)

Got a Coastie

Edited by ThatCoolOfAChick

2 minutes ago, Genjar said:

If the market is meant for acquiring eggs that you haven't managed to find, then why does it require the species to be unlocked first? Kind of defeats the point, as far as I see it. If you can't catch it, you can't get it from the market either..

Oh! You don't have to catch them! You only need to view other's dragon's in the Encyclopedia, without having to catch a single one of them. There's a thread for filling up the Encyclopedia somewhere.

Catching  them just makes it a bit faster, but only by a smidge

Edited by Chronomaly

3 minutes ago, Genjar said:

You don't need to have the dragons in order to unlock them in the Encyclopedia. You can unlock everything without having anything, by viewing other people's dragons (that's how I unlocked all the zombies!). 

edit: This thread is very helpful!

Edited by HeatherMarie

7 minutes ago, whitestar said:

I understand what you're saying about the components. I make graphics for fun and I can be picky on whatever I'm working on. But I'm considering my aesthetic attraction to the old Seasonals compared to the new Seasonals, and it just isn't there any longer. I would love having a legacy view that stardust13 mentioned. Since the Seasonals are going to remain this way, it would be nice if a token gesture could be given to those who could still enjoy their lineages as they had originally planned them. Although I don't know how difficult that is to program. Maybe it's just too hard to do.

I totally get and respect that~ It's def valid to dislike a change, no matter what that change is or does.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRAGON CAVE! :D

Oh wow, the updated sprites look amazing! I'm always worried when I hear "sprite update" but this is a huge improvement in my book. I loved the old Red Dragon and I love the new Red Dragon even more. :wub:

The new eggs look very interesting, is it just me or does the blue one look like a globe? 

I was very much against putting a price tag on eggs, but I admit it's very convenient to be able to buy the common eggs that seem to completely vanish the moment I go looking for them...

But YESSSS for the trade hub! Now I just have to figure out how the notifications work..

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

You don't need to have the dragons in order to unlock them in the Encyclopedia. You can unlock everything without having anything, by viewing other people's dragons (that's how I unlocked all the zombies!). 

Okay, then I'm confused. I've viewed plenty of dinos (there's some on my son's account for instance), and they never unlocked in the Encyclopedia.

Just now, Genjar said:

Okay, then I'm confused. I've viewed plenty of dinos (there's some on my son's account for instance), and they never unlocked in the Encyclopedia.

You need to start in the development order - first unlock eggs, then hatchlings, then adults. It won't work the other way.

2 minutes ago, Genjar said:

When did you view them? Anything caught or viewed before the Encyclopedia was implemented doesn't count. Also it's not enough to just see them on the scroll, you have to click on them and go to their view page (and actually sometimes it doesn't 'take' unless you go to their lineage page and then click them from there).

edit: @Orchi'dea I don't think that's true, I know I've unlocked a few adults before unlocking their hatchie sprites.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Unfortunately, legacy sprites are a bad idea in general. If you were here for frill/aria removal, or for the yearly alt sweetling drama, then you've witnessed people being upset they will never have x sprite regardless of the quality of it. This is after all a catch em all game at heart, and legacy sprites just don't jive with it if they're limited to folks who happened to be here. But if they all are optional, then they aren't legacy sprites but some kind of weird alt form.

Has anyone actually bought an egg from the Market yet? I know some of the super-commons are cheap enough to already be affordable... I'm curious if there is a confirmation pop-up or something? I'd hate to accidentally click the wrong 'buy' button!

Whoo caught two of each new egg, now I'm happily locked and heck just hatching/growing what I had before this brought me up to 188 shards. So its fairly easy to make your weekly cap it seems.