TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

4 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

A surprising amount of attention is given the lineage tile view of an updated sprite to make sure it is not significantly changed from the original. In fact, I'm sure many of the tradeoffs made with the new sprite (e.g. head size of the seasonals) are a result of trying to limit the impact on the lineage view to ensure that impact to existing lineages is minimized.

After reading this I had to compare the Seasonal adults new lineage tiles with their old ones, and yup. Despite the obvious changes in full-view, the lineage view is very very similar. The Springs especially look almost identical in lineage view, just a little (shinier?). 

12 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

But can anyone save the albinos from what years of bad posture have done to their necks?! D8

/snicker  All my adult albino's have names laughing about that.  If they change it I'll have to come up with something else /oh noes! 

https://dragcave.net/lineage/eUu6 

is this a good time to mention that in the original file where the seasonal updates were in progress

image.png.77d58663bba3c49ee436155be7f81be1.png 

I spent the entire time making lineage tile mockups as I went, debating every little thing that altered them even slightly, walking back some edits because it was TOO much, and overall trying to balance improvement with preservation? i-it's not like I wanted to preserve your lineages as much as possible or anything, b-baka

10 minutes ago, Peregryn said:

I see Gold as one of the options, but not Copper - and naturally Copper's the one I could really use!

I have Copper unlocked in the Dragon Encyclopedia already, and eggs for dragons I don't have unlocked show up in the Market, so...maybe Copper will be coming later?

Copper isn't in the market because it has different sprites based on the biome.  (all dragons with biome based sprites are currently not in the market.)  Ie: zues 

Oh and I forgot.. congrats to the new mods :)

May nerves from steel be always with you xD

(and agaiiiin... why Loons whyyy.... ;D still not over the price tag shock)

Edited by Belisar

28 minutes ago, stardust13 said:

OK, so I'm afraid to look at all my seasonal lineages. I get that time marches on and the sprites change whether I like it or not. I've been at the Cave this long, I can roll with it.

But when I see amazing code for Trading and a Market appear on the site, I have to wonder why a "Legacy View" can't be added to the site? I'm imagining a link that you click that will show you a lineage with first generation sprite art. I carefully choose which dragons breed together by an overall "look" that appeals to me - size, color, tile position, etc. Every time the sprites are updated, my carefully chosen pairs can sometimes look pretty bad. It would be nice to be able to continue to see my breeding lines as I originally conceived them. Would that really be so hard to add when we have trading and a market?

I'm sure this idea will be brought up in Suggestions. I'm posting it here because I think people who are upset about the sprite changes should focus on What Is And Will Not Change, and What Positive Actions Can Be Taken.

I do like your idea of a legacy view. It's the same with me in that I chose dragon breeding pairs carefully and because of the changes, it is now all for naught. I won't continue breeding the seasons now but would like the legacy view. I'll likely move them all to the end of my scroll until I figure out what to do with them.

For what it's worth, I do think the Winter Seasonal looks better. I didn't particularly like the original one. Sad to see the old Red Dragon go. It was cool in a Heraldic Shield way. The new version is okay. I don't use it in lineages really, just for incubating so it doesn't matter much.

2 minutes ago, TCA said:

is this a good time to mention that in the original file where the seasonal updates were in progress

I spent the entire time making lineage tile mockups as I went, debating every little thing that altered them even slightly, walking back some edits because it was TOO much, and overall trying to balance improvement with preservation? i-it's not like I wanted to preserve your lineages as much as possible or anything, b-baka

Oh wow, thanks for sharing that! Really neat to compare the before and afters in one shot like this!

3 minutes ago, TCA said:

I really love the new sprite updates, I love how the new Spring female reveals more of her pretty pink wings!

I have MAJOR Rotating Seasonal lineages (Winter start is 10 generations, the others will be more when finished) ... and I LIKE the new sprites :D. Thanks, @TCA

Hmmm, I've already earned 46 of my possible 100 shards for the week? That's sort of hilarious. Given I'm normally on DC at *least* 4 hours every day, I wonder how many shards I could earn a week if there was no limit? (For that reason alone I'm glad there is a limit!). 

As much as I dislike sprite updates in general (I'm still butthurt over the Silvers, seriously) I can totally deal as long as my very very favorite sprite is never touched. *probably just jinxed it* *will not name breed for fear of jinxing further*

Was a thread made to answer questions about the new feature glitches? I asked why my bell hasnt appeared and havent gotten an answer yet. 🙁

Omg Harry Potter Eggs? Or is it just a coincidence? If they are Harry Potter Hogwarts House inspired I will need like 50 billion! Like omg I love the mere thought of them being HP eggs xD

I also love love love the new reds! I still feel about the same regarding the seasonals (I disliked the poses on the old ones and...since they are still posed the same I still dislike the poses xD) Seasonal hatchies are pretty adorable now though!

Also excited about the trading and market features! Though...Not sure if I should buy an egg soon or save up for a gold xD Lol

1 minute ago, Syiren said:

Was a thread made to answer questions about the new feature glitches? I asked why my bell hasnt appeared and havent gotten an answer yet. 🙁

There's a thread for each new feature in the Suggestions area, TJ answered my question about that, the bell doesn't show if you don't have any notifications at all (whether read or unread).

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

As much as I dislike sprite updates in general (I'm still butthurt over the Silvers, seriously) I can totally deal as long as my very very favorite sprite is never touched. *probably just jinxed it* *will not name breed for fear of jinxing further*

Thanks for the honesty—I wish everyone on this thread were as honest.  Clearly those pooh poohing me didn’t have THEIR favorite ruined.  

Happy B-Day, DC, and thanks to TJ, spriters, Mods and all involved in this celebration - especially for the lovely eggs and for the fact that they've apparently started Dropping better, lol.

To those wanting to open Encyclopedia entries, why not Click growing dragons at the fansites you use and also help keep dragons alive? I personally find it easier to Click on slower-moving pages, and find Silvi's, Valley Sherwood, Daily Dragon Fix and the AOND ER excellent for that purpose, if that helps at all.

Almost had two of each, but I forgot about a Purple Floret Dragon Egg I had. ^^; At least it'll hatch within the day so I can get my second Alpine Egg. :)

Oooooh the new eggs are so gorgeous! Loving the sprite updates, too. Especially the Red. Reds have always been at the top of my update wishlist as much as I love them. Now I love them even more. ❤️

Also the new features are great! I don't do too much trading but it's awesome to finally have trades and teleporting all in the same place. And I just can't wait for Zyumorphs to be added to the marketplace. Now I finally have a chance to complete my set and summon a Sino LOL 

The tile comparisons are cool. It's easier to see the differences. I do like the increased highlighting on different parts of the dragons. What I miss most, is the softness/roundness/heavier feel of the old dragons. I find the new ones too leggy or skinny for how I wanted to pair them up. I prefer a fuller style over the thin dragons. 

And the dragons with the absolute worst art and anatomy are the albinos—why not fix them?  The seasonal and reds were Far f on worst sprites on the site.

1 minute ago, whitestar said:

The tile comparisons are cool. It's easier to see the differences. I do like the increased highlighting on different parts of the dragons. What I miss most, is the softness/roundness/heavier feel of the old dragons. I find the new ones too leggy or skinny for how I wanted to pair them up. I prefer a fuller style over the thin dragons. 

To be fair, it's gonna be hard to match the fullness of circular limb components. The newer Seasonals are still fairly robust proportionally, but more realistically now.

Wow, happy birthday, DC! LOVE the updated Red and Seasonal sprites. Excited about the new Market! Can't wait to save up enough shards for a Gold! LOL (Have 140 already.)  The new eggies are so pretty., Can't wait to see the hatchies and adults. Thanks TJ and all involved! 

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

There's a thread for each new feature in the Suggestions area, TJ answered my question about that, the bell doesn't show if you don't have any notifications at all (whether read or unread).

Ahhh, I see. I must be tired if it didnt even register to look. My bad. ^^; thanks so much. I think imma go bed b4 I pass out at my desk....again. 😅

I like the new Red sprites but I liked the old ones too. As far as the older sprites went they weren't half bad