TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Im in looooove with the rich colors of these hatchlings, I can't wait to see the adults!

Kudos to the artists, the hatchies look super cute, and to TJ for introducing them and such cool new features.

EDIT. some feedback to the old-new sprites, quite like the look of Reds, but still getting used to the new Seasonals (I don't mind too much the changes in Summer and Winter dragons and think they're done well, but something is nagging me when looking at Fall female sprites, can't put my finger on it, if it's the shading or what, but it'll take me a while to adjust to them). I still appreciate the effort and the good intentions going into this revamp and understand the site needs to go with the times, but it's always either a hit or miss with these things for me.

Edited by stagazer_7

Got my second batch of eggs too, now I have to wait until my hatchies will grow up.^_^

I like the bird like blue hatchie.

If I can I will collect some more of those.

The others look ok.

Just grabbed my second green egg, something that I consider a happy little coincidence is that I didn’t have to influence any of my eggs. Precognition showed I grabbed a female and male of all four types. 

7 minutes ago, Merlot said:

ok I so just locked myself up again with a new set of 8 ( 2 ea) LMAO

Hahaha I just did the exact same thing! Tempted for another set after the 2nd one, too....

I'm over here enjoying the ER-timed AP! I don't recall the AP getting this low-timed during the past handful of new releases, wonder why this one is different. It's not even incu-hatchable, just straight up hatchable! I'm thinking about grabbing a few of the new guys and tossing them to the AP in 5 hours.

Okay, so, I'm pretty upset that there's a limit on earning shards for the market... it's gonna take FOREVER just to get one egg that I want... :T

17 minutes ago, DragonNeko said:

Okay, so, I'm pretty upset that there's a limit on earning shards for the market... it's gonna take FOREVER just to get one egg that I want

Yeah I am so saving for a CB Silver

Edit: Well dang I have earned 200 out of 100 for my week. I guess I lose a 100 when it resets

Edited by Merlot

7 minutes ago, Merlot said:

Yeah I am so saving for a CB Silver

Edit: Well dang I have earned 200 out of 100 for my week. I guess I lose a 100 when it resets

Is your total 300? Everyone got 100 to start with, so if you have your 100 for this week you should have 200. 

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Is your total 300? Everyone got 100 to start with, so if you have your 100 for this week you should have 200. 

Ok I have a total of 200. So if I get any more before the reset I lose those?

3 minutes ago, Merlot said:

You shouldn't be able to get any more. Once you reach the cap it stops giving you shards, no matter what actions you do (at least that's how it worked for me).

3 minutes ago, Merlot said:

It caps out at 200 and you cant earn more.

19 minutes ago, DragonNeko said:

Okay, so, I'm pretty upset that there's a limit on earning shards for the market... it's gonna take FOREVER just to get one egg that I want... :T

My unreasonable demand is for the weekly shard limit to be extended to 200 a week so it'll take the 4 and a bit months to get that CB Gold rather than 9 and a half months. But that's probably just my impatience talking. XD

On the bright side, if i'm understanding things correctly, TJ mentioned here that the worth of eggs might fluctuate in response to populations. And with this system being such a new thing, I think we'll be in store for more changes to come.

2 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

You shouldn't be able to get any more. Once you reach the cap it stops giving you shards, no matter what actions you do (at least that's how it worked for me).

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

It caps out at 200 and you cant earn more.

Thank you both for the answers as I get confuzzled at times lol

42 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm over here enjoying the ER-timed AP! I don't recall the AP getting this low-timed during the past handful of new releases, wonder why this one is different. It's not even incu-hatchable, just straight up hatchable! I'm thinking about grabbing a few of the new guys and tossing them to the AP in 5 hours.

The AP was already low-timed as it was pre-release, so it makes sense it would be even lower now due to very few people grabbing from the AP.

Very excited to see the adults on these guys!

Also, on the sprite change: I think that the spriters who did these revamps did a very good job and clearly made an effort to keep the new sprites similar to the old ones. Overall, I just don't like sprite replacements, so there isn't much more that they could have done to make me happy. I think once I get used to the new sprites I will like them.

7 minutes ago, Sunfeathers said:

Also, on the sprite change: I think that the spriters who did these revamps did a very good job and clearly made an effort to keep the new sprites similar to the old ones. Overall, I just don't like sprite replacements, so there isn't much more that they could have done to make me happy. I think once I get used to the new sprites I will like them.

This. Nicely put!

Just managed to influence and incubate. *waits impatiently for everyone to hatch*

I look forward to seeing the adults!

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, Shokomon said:

Look here if you need help with anything:

- It has ALL THE THE THINGS! Locations! Help! Sprite Update Comparisons! Encyclopedia expansion! And more!

Except about Harry Potter eggs, because SHOOSH, it's a secret!

In case there are questions that need answering, and you don't want to go through 40 pages of stuff.

Also, quoting things to be added to the post:

On 5/21/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ruby Eyes said:
On 5/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, jocosa said:

I meant the day/night thing, the clock, all of it.  (Hopefully these aren't ginormous. First pic share to DC from laptop)  Are they located on a different cave page? I use the Blackout theme, and original style, so that's probably why.

FireShot Capture 4 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

FireShot Capture 5 - Dragon Cave - Your Dragons - https___dragcave.net_dragons.png

Blackout doesn't get all updates, on account of it being a deprecated skin.

- Please note that the clock and notifications do not show on Blackout and other inactivated skins.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:11 PM, jocosa said:
On 5/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, Shokomon said:
  On 5/21/2018 at 5:21 PM, Yunimori said:

...okay mild question because I am not seeing it. I made it to the market by following a link in another thread (which is where I found out about it first, ironically) but in looking around just the normal pages, I can't seem to find a link to the Market on the main part of the site? Am I overlooking it?

Okay.

To clarify this with pictures (and add it to my Compilation Post).

• For Mobile:

835947489_Capture_2018-05-21-17-34-28.thumb.png.1a6dc512b29fe34d28854f110976c5b4.png

• For Computer:

907959306_Capture_2018-05-21-17-26-00.thumb.png.4a650cc2e915b10d57af166bbc79c8b3.png

(Forgive my scribbles. I did this by phone.)

Or over there on the right hand side, for us old school cavers. 😆

FireShot Capture 6 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

On 5/21/2018 at 6:38 PM, PieMaster said:

To anybody upset about dragons potentially referencing pop culture, please remember that we've had reference dragons since the beginning of the game--Dinos are Yoshi references. We've also had further breed references since at least 2009--Trios are a reference to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres (I believe)--and have had tons and tons of other reference dragons since then, some publicly disclosed and others not. Something inspiring an artist or a release being themed for something shouldn't take away your enjoyment if you don't like that fandom; just take the sprites at face value and enjoy them as you would any other breed. And if you enjoy the thing a dragon references, then there's something a little extra for you to get out of that breed!

On 5/21/2018 at 7:04 PM, Stromboli said:

Seasonal hatchlings do still have dimorphism though. One has three prongs on the head, the other five. They just don't stick out at a wide angle like they used to.

1453613485_ScreenShot2018-05-21at6_10_20PM.png.5bcc2dd6a3e219441ce41a884826e722.png

21 hours ago, TCA said:

Unfortunately, some of the exaggerated shapes of the old ones, while they did have a bit more of an emotive vibe, were not meshing well with applying actual anatomy, especially at the time I was making these. I tried my best and I'm glad you like the Summer lady, that's the one I had the greatest sentimental attachment to personally.

One of my oldest and most beloved dragons is this Summer Seasonal, Sabishii. She was obtained at the original release of Summers, before they had dimorphism. When the dimorphic sprites were added, I was absolutely crushed by how she went from looking aloof and powerful to looking... well... melted. Awkward. Awful anatomy and so much detail hidden by a bad angle. I had been salty for a long time, and when I had the opportunity to try my hand at updated sprites for the Seasonals, I wanted to breathe life back into Sabishii like she deserved.

14 hours ago, TJ09 said:

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

13 hours ago, TCA said:
14 hours ago, TJ09 said:
18 hours ago, cbussiere said:

Also I always assumed they were shards of mana crystals, since crystals have become really significant in DC lore and their symbol looks like a cluster of crystals.

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

One of my friends wrote a short essay on almost exactly this subject/WHY this is the case from the perspective of an RP character ranting in a blog post and it was really interesting, I'll drop it in a spoiler tag edited to be DC-forum-appropriate.

Reveal hidden contents

you know what also makes no sense the number of people who are like ‘oh hah fiat currency is ridiculous.’ no its not currency is ridiculous period but as long as youre trying to do that fiat currency is like the best idea bartering is [crap] once youre dealing with communities of more than like six people all living together on a compound butt naked living with nature in harmony thats communism waiting to happen and commodtiy currency is basically the exact same as fiat currency with an extra step and representative currency is just fiat currency with 2 extra steps. lets break this down though: what exactly is the point of currency? to create something approaching a shared understanding of value - yeah you and I may disagree this thing is worth ten dollars but we can agree on the general value of ten dollars in the more abstract sense. The most important things for currency in order to maintain this use are twofold - people must be able to count on the value of currency, and that stated value needs to remain relatively consistent over time. So let’s look at other major forms of currency exchange. We won’t count barter because we’re not communists or barbarians, so let’s roll straight into commodity currency. First things first, representative currency and commodity currency are, for all intents and purposes the same thing. At least for this particular conversation. So we’re going to call representative currency commodity currency because I’m lazy. The real division lies not in whether you’re trading with a commodity or an item which represents that commodity, but instead in whether that commodity is something that is valuable for its potential use, or something valued for its aesthetic value - let’s call these commodity-u and commodity-v, respectively.
So the thing is, commodity-v? That’s basically fiat currency anyways. “What do you mean, senpai? There’s clearly a difference between currency backed by something physical, and backed by no more than a region’s word!” First of all, shut up I’m getting there. Second of all, no there’s really not. In order to have a representative currency period, you need a shared understanding of value of the commodity in question. The thing is, once that metric has been established, the commodity itself is entirely divorced from the value of the currency. The shared understanding of value is based on basically haggling out a value to place on something that doesn’t inherently have it. I.E. It’s an arbitrary value agreed on by a society at large. Exactly like fiat currency.
Okay, well what about commodity-u? Remember what I said is important about currency in the first place? You need to be able to count on its value and it needs to remain consistent over time. You know what a commodity currency based on a commodity you actually use doesn’t do? Either of those things. Say you have ten [healing] potions, and that is the basis of your entire personal wealth, potions are what currency is based off. You just got punched in the face by a small angry anime cultist and had to use a potion. Oh [crap], you have just personally [screw]ed the entire value of this theoretical currency! Oh but more are produced, okay, alright. The thing is, consistent use and replenishment of a given commodity means hugely fluctuating values and inflation that can only really be dealt with on tiny scales of small communities of like the size of a single region.

If you assume this RP character is Generally Correct on the subject, then shards of a rare shiny mineral makes WAY more sense than shards of solid mana as currency.

10 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

XD This.... AND we can use those shards to OBTAIN dragons! I like it. I fear I shall think of them as this, now...

6 hours ago, hazeh said:

I assumed shards were some kind of metal, perhaps even precious to an extent (perhaps just a pure piece of iron, thus can be used as currency or melted into useful tools if desired, but otherwise loses value if not in shard/tradeable form). Instead of how our metal currency is shaped into coins (and thus referred to as such), these are long and skinny, perhaps diamond shaped, and flat-leafed. And that's simply how the currency looks. Maybe it's shaped that way to resemble a dragon scale? 

ago, TJ09 said:

The same criteria for name unlocking should apply generally across anywhere encyclopedia names are used. If that's not the case (i.e. market names, trading hub search form and view pages for eggs don't all agree), then that's a bug which should be reported in Help.

Pagination has already been addressed and is happening. Bringing it up in an exasperated "we still don't have this" fashion isn't doing to change much.

- From the Trading Hub Feedback Thread

Edited by Shokomon

Oh no! I've had a busy time with a sick cat, and didn't realize there was a release until today DX

5 minutes ago, HeartJacker13 said:

Oh no! I've had a busy time with a sick cat, and didn't realize there was a release until today DX

They are still plenty easy to get! They seem to sit around in the biomes a lot already.

5 minutes ago, HeartJacker13 said:

Fortunately the eggs are still dropping. I see them fairly often in the cave.

If you buy a Floret, do you get an option of what color one you want? And does that apply to dragons whose eggs are a different color from the cave?

So not like nebulas or gemshards, because their egg sprite is the same

And not like spinels, because you breed the red to get the green