TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Continuing with my 'stage-2 descriptions are strange' comment, the volcano one? 'And look! A vibrant mane has developed along its back, and it’s grown much larger.' It doesn't look 'much larger' to me, in fact it looks like the actual size of the sprite is exactly the same. I get that perhaps in game-world it grew larger, but normally a 'grown larger' description is accompanied by at least a *slightly* larger sprite.

Wow, very impressed indeed! The Trading section is excellent! Very much liking the Sprite updates too (the Red dragon looks siiiiiick), along with the new little hatchlings. Wonder what the adults will look like! Great, I expect! :) 

Happy 12th Birthday DC and thank you for all the new stuff! :D 

17 minutes ago, Yunimori said:

...okay mild question because I am not seeing it. I made it to the market by following a link in another thread (which is where I found out about it first, ironically) but in looking around just the normal pages, I can't seem to find a link to the Market on the main part of the site? Am I overlooking it?

Okay.

To clarify this with pictures (and add it to my Compilation Post).

• For Mobile:

835947489_Capture_2018-05-21-17-34-28.thumb.png.1a6dc512b29fe34d28854f110976c5b4.png

• For Computer:

907959306_Capture_2018-05-21-17-26-00.thumb.png.4a650cc2e915b10d57af166bbc79c8b3.png

(Forgive my scribbles. I did this by phone.)

Edited by Shokomon
Cursed Auto smiley

I like the new adult Seasonals and Reds, but I'm going to miss the old hatchie sprites.

Anyone else not getting the Wants section to show up when you try to teleport? I've used two different browsers and it doesn't show up on either.

Harry Potter eggs, awesome! I've caught 2 Gryffindor eggs and 2 Hufflepuff eggs. I can only catch 2 more and then I'm up to my limit.

How can I unlock the locked eggs in the Market?

7 minutes ago, Moondragon007 said:

Harry Potter eggs, awesome! I've caught 2 Gryffindor eggs and 2 Hufflepuff eggs. I can only catch 2 more and then I'm up to my limit.

How can I unlock the locked eggs in the Market?

If it says something about not being unlocked it means you need to unlock that breed in the Encyclopedia by viewing some of that breed (other people's scrolls help).

1 minute ago, HeatherMarie said:

If it says something about not being unlocked it means you need to unlock that breed in the Encyclopedia by viewing some of that breed (other people's scrolls help).

Oh I didn't even notice that. ^^'

Happy Birthday DC!!! And many thanks to TJ and the whole crew for their AWESOMENESS!!!

*runs off to hunt new eggies*

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That's because you have no notifications. Though the shards thing you need to hard refresh....

I meant the day/night thing, the clock, all of it.  (Hopefully these aren't ginormous. First pic share to DC from laptop)  Are they located on a different cave page? I use the Blackout theme, and original style, so that's probably why.

FireShot Capture 4 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

FireShot Capture 5 - Dragon Cave - Your Dragons - https___dragcave.net_dragons.png

3 minutes ago, jocosa said:

I use the Blackout theme, and original style, so that's probably why.

Blackout doesn't get all updates, on account of it being a deprecated skin.

31 minutes ago, Shokomon said:

Okay.

To clarify this with pictures (and add it to my Compilation Post).

• For Mobile:

Snip

• For Computer:

Snip

(Forgive my scribbles. I did this by phone.)

Or over there on the right hand side, for us old school cavers. 😆

FireShot Capture 6 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

Hmmmm. The Huffle and Gryff S2s on TJs scroll are all female. I do hope this is not significant...

5 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Blackout doesn't get all updates, on account of it being a deprecated skin.

I figured it was that. And I'm good with that. Blackout is easy on the eyes, and the dragon colors really pop out on it.  :)

1 hour ago, Whirlaway said:

I agree with you. I’m awfully tired of Harry Potter at this point and all these pop culture references releases just... eh.

Just enjoy them for what they are. If HP inspires spriters - more power to HP. I have NO IDEA what all the Zyus are about - and I don't care.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

Just enjoy them for what they are. If HP inspires spriters - more power to HP. I have NO IDEA what all the Zyus are about - and I don't care.

I’ve got no idea what Zyus are based off either, haha! I think something called Voltron? Or Power Rangers??

I think someone mentioned Power Rangers. I don't know what they are either.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Hmmmm. The Huffle and Gryff S2s on TJs scroll are all female. I do hope this is not significant...

Harry wouldn't have gotten far without help from the ladies. LOLOL

Really, though, I think it's the luck of the draw. The last huffle is male. 

3 hours ago, SamuelMaybird said:

I sit and wait for the royal blue to get updated because I really want to like them but uh, anatomy is key for me

Oh dear... If that ever happens I will sit in a corner and cry for weeks on end. And after that I'll probably still sob now and then. ;)

Because correct anatomy or not, if they get updated they'll loose those gorgeous colours (everything that gets updated ends up brighter and shinier for some reason), and they'll loose bulk (because it seems to be really hard to do more detailed antomy without loosing bulk). And then they'll not be my gorgeous, perfect, DC-favourite sprite anymore.

Also, probably because I'm no expert, I can't even make out any anatomical errors in the sprites. (At least not when I see them normally sized on the view page.)

If it has to be updated, then I'll have to accept that, but I sure hope it will take years until that's necessary !

And speaking of this...

@Sprite Updates

I think the update of the Reds was fantastic work, because the spriter managed to make a "3D" version of the "2D" sprite without changing any defining details.

With the Seasonals I still think a lot of care went into keeping things like overall posture and lineage view - which is a great thing ! And the work of correcting the anatomy is fantastic, although I lament the loss of bulk that stems from it in most cases, but I guess that couldn't be helped. But some important details (like the dimensions/proportions of the head crowns, or the ratio between tail and tail-frills) were changed for no anatomical reasons that I can see, and that's a real pity, because it changes the dragons specific look more than seems necessary.

Also - the colours. Why do the colours of re-sprited dragons always come out so much brighter than the original ? Silvers, Hollies, the Reds now, too, to a certain extent. All became more bright and shiny. And I first realized the sprite update when I came to my scroll this morning, looked at the lineage of my Spring egg, and thought my monitor colours were off, all the Springs being too bright. I guess it has to do with more different colour shades being necessary, so if you start at the old colour you end up being brighter through the many layers, but shouldn't it be possible to keep the overall hue the same ? (A muted light-blue instead of a bright one, and so on) ?

Apart from the "slimmer, brighter, shiny" issue (which may not be avoidable) I'm really impressed by the careful and well done update our Reds and Seasonals got. The new sprites on their own are beaufiful !

2 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Harry wouldn't have gotten far without help from the ladies. LOLOL

Really, though, I think it's the luck of the draw. The last huffle is male. 

I think I messed up. Gryff and Ravenclaw. All girls.

3 minutes ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

I think the update of the Reds was fantastic work, because the spriter managed to make a "3D" version of the "2D" sprite without changing any defining details.

Nope. The Red hatchie looks completely different now.

Just now, Fuzzbucket said:

I think someone mentioned Power Rangers. I don't know what they are either.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they are a reference to the Power Rangers xD

By the way, I think I encountered a glitch in the trading hub xD this is on mobile. I don't have the means to look at how things are in desktop version atm. 

This is an offer I made on a trade; at first I offered 3 eggs, but it started looking like this at some point. I canceled then offered four eggs instead, but... It got stuck looking like this o_o

(First time trying to upload an image here, I hope it works). 

2018-05-21 18.10.28.png

Edited by ninish

1 hour ago, Sunrunner said:

The updates to the sprites are great, imo.  They just look so much more defined, like a blurry image coming into focus - & for someone with crap vision like mine, I know what I'm talking about :P.  And I get a kick out of being able to pick out actual scales on the Reds hide now.

Yeah, the details are magnificent!

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Usually not. Since he typically keeps one of each new breed as a freezie, this just tells us that these don't have dimorphism. I think.