TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Oh wow, those new features! :0 They're all really nice, about my only complaint is no way to truly earn Prizes but I honestly am not surprised that's not there. The eggs are super cute, too!

e: like, at worst it's the mildest of disappointment (on a level of "oh, out of cookies"), too, this is just overall really nice.

Edited by Guillotine

Happy Birthday DC!!!!

lol now for a question... Where do you find all these new features?

Just now, Merlot said:

Happy Birthday DC!!!!

Trading should be in the bar that says "Cave/Account/Dragons/..." under Trading. And the Market can be found by looking at the top bar that has your scroll name, the time/date as a amount of g (120g, for example).

Happy Birthday DC!

I love the new features - especially the trading center! When EATW was shut down, that was really missing.

And reds & seasonals look really nice. Excited to see what the new eggs are going to grow up to be!

Edited by Wildcat

1 minute ago, Merlot said:

Happy Birthday DC!!!!

The Market you get to by clicking the currency link, the Trade Hub's in the bit where the major links are.

Just now, Guillotine said:

Oh wow, those new features! :0 They're all really nice, about my only complaint is no way to truly earn Prizes but I honestly am not surprised that's not there. The eggs are super cute, too!

The prizes, by their very nature, are not earned but won. They have been already managed with monthly raffles. 

I need to pick up new eggs, but this is a busy weekend for me. Victoria day weekend is turning into a big party!

33 minutes ago, Nakeisha said:

Happy 12th Birthday, DC!

Thank you TJ for the new eggs and for the new features - they are much appreciated.

I have a quick question which I hope someone can answer. Will 'Notifications' apply to PMs? I really do hope so because email notifications are not really great as they don't always come through and it would be lovely to know if I do get a PM.

As for the sprite changes . . . First off I am not a fan of chance - in anything. And I have to say that thus far I have not liked any of the changes to the sprites - with the exception of the male Gold which finally grew on me after a long time. And I'm afraid I really do not like the updates to the Reds or the Seasonals - especially the male Winter, which was one of my favourite sprites. I loved the more 'rounded' feel to them, now I really don't care for them - mind you I didn't really like the first update of them several years ago.

I do not doubt that technically they are better than the original ones. I do not doubt that spriters improve and over the years their work changes and they like their older work to reflect the changes. That said I still do not see the necessity for revamping older stuff. I write and personally I like to see how my writing has improved over the years; I have no desire to go back and rewrite older stories to make them more 'correct' or technically 'better', etc. etc. I would far rather work on new stories - and I like to see how other writers have changed. And for me that applies to art too.

I think one of the biggest differences and maybe the main reason why some people do not like the new sprites is because the vast majority of people who play the game are not artists (at least I am presuming that). As such we do not judge art by how technically good or poor it is, we judge it with what we like; what makes us smile; what makes us happy; what looks good to us - even if technically it isn't 'right', even if atomically it is incorrect.

I've read through this entire thread and I can totally understand what the spriters are saying and I can sit and look at what they have pointed out as being 'wrong' with the old Reds & Seasonals and I can understand what they are saying. However, I also find myself thinking 'so what'? I don't care that the old sprites aren't as technically 'correct' as the new ones; I still prefer the old sprites. Objectively I can understand that the new sprites are 'better'. However, subjectively I don't see that; to me they are not 'better' because when it comes to art I view things subjectively, not objectively and I suspect quite a few of those people who don't really care for the changes are the same.

And just because I don't particularly like the changes (especially for the male Winter & the Red) it doesn't mean that I don't or can't understand from where the artists' are coming and how they see the new sprites as 'better'. I do understand and I respect that; I really do. Yes, they may be technically better and more correct, but you know what? I don't care that they are technically 'better'  - I still prefer the older ones.

However, the chances have been made and I accept that. I don't have to particularly like them, but they are here and they are here to stay. We don't have to pay for the game and we get an awful lot of fun and pleasure out of it and TJ works jolly hard. It's impossible to please all of the people all of time - in fact I think it's impossible to please all of the people any of time - because that's human nature. I think it's lovely that we have DC, I think it's great that people are prepared to sprite and work with TJ to help keep the place running and give us new things.

I honestly do not mean any disrespect when I say I prefer the old sprites to the new, not at all. It is purely a matter of personal choice - my subjective personal choice. I suspect that were I an artist (and I'm not, not in any way at all) I might well feel the same about the technical mattering so much. So thank you to those who have been involved in what I'm sure is the hard work which has gone into making the Reds & Seasonals 'better' technically.

This is a really healthy attitude to take toward sprite updates. It’s perfectly valid to dislike the new sprites for personal reasons, and we don’t expect everyone to like the new ones when an update goes out. All we ask is that you give them a chance to grow on you and try to understand the reasons behind updating.

Event Updates!

(So you dont have to slog through 50+ pages to get answers.)

• News, New Dragons, & Egg Locations
On 5/21/2018 at 12:40 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Have to do the usual new-release warning now: 

PEOPLE!! PLEASE WATCH YOUR EGGS!!! I'm already seeing multiple sick eggs in hatcheries (and a few dead already!), it's really too early to put your eggs in hatcheries yet! If you notice them getting views but you haven't put them anywhere, hide them immediately!

On 5/21/2018 at 12:00 AM, Whirlaway said:

Locations:

"This green and silver egg lurks in the shadows, tempting you to steal it." Coast. (Sorts between Kyanite and Little Tree).

"This red and gold egg sits before the others, almost daring you to grab it." Volcano. (Sorts between Little Tree and Lumina).

"This blue and bronze egg piques your curiosity." Alpine. (Sorts between Radiant Angel and Red).

"This heavy egg has an earthy scent, like freshly-tilled soil." Forest. (Sorts between Magma and Misfit).

On 5/21/2018 at 12:18 AM, Whirlaway said:

Breed sorts so far: 

"This green and silver egg lurks in the shadows, tempting you to steal it." sorts between Kyanite and Little Tree.

"This red and gold egg sits before the others, almost daring you to grab it" sorts between Little Tree and Lumina.

"This blue and bronze egg piques your curiosity" sorts between Radiant Angel and Red.

"This heavy egg has an earthy scent, like freshly-tilled soil" sorts between Magma and Misfit.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:38 PM, PieMaster said:

To anybody upset about dragons potentially referencing pop culture, please remember that we've had reference dragons since the beginning of the game--Dinos are Yoshi references. We've also had further breed references since at least 2009--Trios are a reference to Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres (I believe)--and have had tons and tons of other reference dragons since then, some publicly disclosed and others not. Something inspiring an artist or a release being themed for something shouldn't take away your enjoyment if you don't like that fandom; just take the sprites at face value and enjoy them as you would any other breed. And if you enjoy the thing a dragon references, then there's something a little extra for you to get out of that breed!

On 5/24/2018 at 1:12 PM, Malcorium said:
On 5/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, Whirlaway said:

The Melismor (ferrets)

Excuse you, they're Elongated Badgers ;p

On 5/24/2018 at 1:24 PM, Infinis said:
On 5/24/2018 at 1:23 PM, Lantean_Pegasus said:

Could someone help me with the Leodon's face ? For some reason I can't make out where the eyes are... (And even without having discovered that I still love the sprite !!)

http://prntscr.com/jm55ng

On 5/24/2018 at 4:53 PM, Shajana said:

Some extra Info and some Sketches from the Lacula Dragon:

sketchlacula_by_nyriana-dccffxk.jpg

Lacula Dragons have small wings with specialized feathers, much like an owl's wings, that aid it in moving silently through its cavern. Though the Lacula cannot fly, the feathers help break up the airflow as it moves to strike, allowing it to close the distance between it's prey with astonishing stealth. These wings may also be used for intimidation when spread wide to startle their opponents. Also, while the wings won't get the Lacula off the ground, they can be used to propel the dragon forward when it strikes down prey. In the breeding season they use their wings and display them in their mating dance.

The Lacula Dragon is an Amphiptere.

The Name Lacula was @PieMaster's idea, it was derived from Jaculus which means Snake in Latin.

@hazeh helped me with the descriptions since english is not my native language. ^_^

9 hours ago, PieMaster said:

V8bzLZY.jpg

Here's the original one-and-a-half-year-old concept art of the Razorcrests! It took me a while before I was able to find a pose I liked, and had the skill set to properly visualize the wings and frills in perspective. In the final version, the face changed to be more beaky, a third horn and wing finger were added, and the frills on the side of the neck became one single frill along the neck vertebrae. It's rare for me to work from concept art, so I thought it might be fun to share this!

Fun fact: The silver markings along a Razorcrest's wings and frills are a sign of age; they aren't there when they first mature, and slowly creep in as the dragon ages. The oldest individuals have completely silver wings and frills; the only bronze left is on their inner head crest and talons.

• HELP! I can't find X, and I have questions:
On 5/21/2018 at 12:24 AM, Zinogre said:

To anyone looking for the market, here's the link:

https://dragcave.net/market

On 5/21/2018 at 12:39 AM, Rosastrasza said:

Not sure if anyone else is having this issue, but the notification page is not showing up at all for me. I clicked on the little bell, it took me to the notifications page, but it's blank.
(for ref, v page)
https://dragcave.net/notifications

On 5/21/2018 at 12:55 AM, Shokomon said:

Quoting because I have questions.

BUT ANYWAY, can any one take a screenshot of the trading hub?

I'm not currently trading anything, but I'd like to see what it looks like. 

Edit: NEVERMIND! I found it! Trading Hub

On 5/21/2018 at 1:13 AM, Rosastrasza said:
  8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Okay, I see the symbol now for the market at the top of the main page. But how do you get to the new notification page? Don't just give me a link because I will lose it. Tell me how to get there myself, please.

{Snip}

There should be a little bell icon next to your username at the top of the page, but idk if it shows up before you get notifications.

bell.png.b24d430683f580d091eefbd8691494eb.png

- Note clicking your shard count (101 shards here) takes you to the market place.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:41 AM, HeatherMarie said:
  7 hours ago, Syiren said:

Was a thread made to answer questions about the new feature glitches? I asked why my bell hasnt appeared and havent gotten an answer yet. 🙁

There's a thread for each new feature in the Suggestions area, TJ answered my question about that, the bell doesn't show if you don't have any notifications at all (whether read or unread).

On 5/21/2018 at 2:17 PM, jocosa said:
  1 hour ago, Laura-Borealis said:

Market question - do we know exactly what activities work for earning shards, and how many shards they earn?

I wasn't paying attention to the shard tally when I grabbed the new eggs (actually I had not located it yet).

Breeding seems to give 2 shards per egg.

There's a thread tracking all that now. :)

Ninja'd.  😆

On 5/21/2018 at 6:06 PM, Ruby Eyes said:
  On 5/21/2018 at 6:02 PM, jocosa said:

I meant the day/night thing, the clock, all of it.  (Hopefully these aren't ginormous. First pic share to DC from laptop)  Are they located on a different cave page? I use the Blackout theme, and original style, so that's probably why.

FireShot Capture 4 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

FireShot Capture 5 - Dragon Cave - Your Dragons - https___dragcave.net_dragons.png

Blackout doesn't get all updates, on account of it being a deprecated skin.

- Please note that the clock and notifications do not show on Blackout and other inactivated skins.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:11 PM, jocosa said:
  On 5/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, Shokomon said:
  On 5/21/2018 at 5:21 PM, Yunimori said:
  On 5/21/2018 at 5:21 PM, Yunimori said:

...okay mild question because I am not seeing it. I made it to the market by following a link in another thread (which is where I found out about it first, ironically) but in looking around just the normal pages, I can't seem to find a link to the Market on the main part of the site? Am I overlooking it?

Okay.

To clarify this with pictures (and add it to my Compilation Post).

• For Mobile:

835947489_Capture_2018-05-21-17-34-28.thumb.png.1a6dc512b29fe34d28854f110976c5b4.png

• For Computer:

907959306_Capture_2018-05-21-17-26-00.thumb.png.4a650cc2e915b10d57af166bbc79c8b3.png

(Forgive my scribbles. I did this by phone.)

Or over there on the right hand side, for us old school cavers. 😆

FireShot Capture 6 - Dragon Cave - Enter the Cave - https___dragcave.net_.png

On 5/24/2018 at 3:04 PM, cbussiere said:

{Shokomon: Quote added for context}

On 5/24/2018 at 2:57 PM, HeartJacker13 said:

I have a question about the Market. I assume when you buy a dragon that when you go on the dragon's info page, the biome would say it's from "cave" instead of a biome, right? I know that's kind of a specific question. XD

M0d0mmg.jpg

• FOR ALL YOUR ENCYCLOPEDIA UNLOCKING NEEDS
On 5/21/2018 at 1:55 AM, Shokomon said:

For everyone who needs to unlock stuff for the Market (including me):

UNLOCK ALL THE POSSIBILITIES.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:01 AM, Vain.3805 said:

Hey, Encyclopedia helpers - I have been helping... WITH ALL OF THE THINGS

• Stuff on Sprite Updates
On 5/21/2018 at 1:00 AM, TCA said:
  9 hours ago, Niyaka said:

Firstly I would like to say that I love that sprite updates continue to be implemented. Seasonals were one of the breeds desperately in need of an update. However, they still carry over many of the flaws of the original sprites. The new seasonals are an improvement, but they are still definitely not up to snuff with recent releases.

Their shading remains an issue: it is extremely pillowed with too few intermediary colors. And for all of the sprites, there are some overreaching anatomy flaws. The heads (or at least eyes?) are oversized; the thighs are very thick for no apparent reason; the wings appear to connect to the shoulder, which is anatomically incorrect and just looks not quite right.

I apologize if this is not the place for critique, but for the sake of improvement these things should be addressed.

Yo hey I listen

Yo hey I listen to critique but also that's not pillow shading.

dca9081efae576743f1ed603a79e87d0.png

image.png.ce0a163e455e11f48fa6ee237ccf3431.png

A centered, slightly frontal light source isn't pillow shading if the shading follows actual contours and how light would hit the object (or dragon in this case). Dragon anatomy isn't really realistic to begin with and it's not illegal to connect wings to the shoulder, that's subjective. The thighs are large because all of the standing Seasonals have a bipedal stance and also to preserve the original feel of the sprite, particularly in the lineage tile; this applies to the head/eyes too. In case it wasn't clear: These are all features, not bugs. Also, these sprites were made a while back, when I was in a phase where I strongly disliked wing stretch mark texturing due to certain artists massively overdoing it, so I deliberately avoided it, which is not technically incorrect, just something that adds interest on sprites that have it.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:18 AM, TCA said:

8 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Thank you for explaining the changes! I do really think the shading/texture on the wings looks really strange and unrealistic though, not simply because of no 'stretch mark' texture but there doesn't seem to be any texture at all on the female adult Autumn's wings? I see slight shading and what looks like 2-d creases, but it doesn't look like an actual flexible body part, it looks more like a ridged piece of paper that's been folded and then unfolded. No offense meant whatsoever, it just looks extremely off to me.

image.png.f4c84f2a33d4a0503c0a551cc1bce48b.png

354148213193965568.png?v=1

On 5/21/2018 at 1:38 AM, TCA said:

8 hours ago, Brekke said:

Why does DC update sprites?  Why not just give us new dragons?  Or retire old reds and make new reds?  I’ve collected any army of frozen seasonal hatchlings, and you take a chainsaw to to it?  Why?  Can someone explain how a company can urrge me to collect something, and then change it a decade later?  Why?

1404406564801.pngPikachu-Pokemon-Go.png

Pikachu sprite, 1996 -- Pikachu sprite, 2002 -- Pikachu 3D model, 2016

Think of DC as less like buying art to hang up in your house, and more like playing Pokemon: as you transfer an old, beloved Pikachu up through the generations of games, its representation changes to match the game it's currently in. Nobody would buy Pokemon games today except a small, select group of nostalgic oldbies if Pikachu still looked like the first image. The updated graphics are meant to both recapture the imagination of existing fans, and draw in new fans who expect shinier, newer, more "modern" aesthetics. It may disappoint and alienate a small number of people, but generally, the overall change is positive from the company's point of view.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:47 AM, PieMaster said:

So tell me—what are the exact flaws you’ve corrected?  Can you be specific?  Those sprites were perfect—better than the majority of what artists have created since.  What exact flaws in my seasonal hatchlings did you correct?  Clearly in the thread I’m the only unhappy one.  I get that.  But when I collect something, I expect it to stay the same.  That seems pretty basic to me—why else would I collect it?

Why aren’t we given a choice of keeping old sprites?  Lock them, make them unbreedable—but why can’t I keep them?

The original sprites had no underlying skeletal or muscular structure, little properly applied perspective, inconsistent lighting, and very little definition of details. They were objectively flawed at pretty much every possible area to have objective flaws. That doesn't mean you can't have subjective attachment to them and prefer them to newer artwork, but they are by all definitive standards significantly worse than the majority of recently-released artwork.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:56 AM, TCA said:

So tell me—what are the exact flaws you’ve corrected?  Can you be specific?  Those sprites were perfect

image.png.cb0c679ef3c9061792e4f3c23e0a0a4b.png

ok

On 5/21/2018 at 2:09 AM, TCA said:

I’m talking about hatchling sprites, not adults.

image.png.e935393621419a43c7a047317e947d36.png

ok

On 5/21/2018 at 2:14 AM, TCA said:

it has come to my attention that I forgot to mention on the old one: the back leg is a ball and a rectangle, and the wing tip runs into the thigh

it doesn't do that anymore

carry on

On 5/21/2018 at 2:29 AM, TCA said:

is this a good time to mention that in the original file where the seasonal updates were in progress

image.png.77d58663bba3c49ee436155be7f81be1.png 

I spent the entire time making lineage tile mockups as I went, debating every little thing that altered them even slightly, walking back some edits because it was TOO much, and overall trying to balance improvement with preservation? i-it's not like I wanted to preserve your lineages as much as possible or anything, b-baka

On 5/21/2018 at 9:01 AM, lovecats99 said:

Sprite comparisons between updated and old sprites in the /lineage/ format, for anyone who's interested:

Seasonals

Hide contents

image.png.27935a224442e1c04eef160fe4ae90b4.png old

↓

image.png.ee3c73627db627bd238a6237776637f3.png new

Reds

Hide contents

image.png.9c0a4128c9e9a404047a0dc896ca1636.png -> image.png.f14eb1be3f95c83782a6f1588d79b91b.png

Those who are looking for a comparison between sprites between Seasonals, alone, should have a look at this post

Otherwise, a comparison between Red sprites:

Hide contents

XOjrUwh.gif old   ->  1JDlmjk.pngnew

On 5/21/2018 at 7:04 PM, Stromboli said:

Seasonal hatchlings do still have dimorphism though. One has three prongs on the head, the other five. They just don't stick out at a wide angle like they used to.

1453613485_ScreenShot2018-05-21at6_10_20PM.png.5bcc2dd6a3e219441ce41a884826e722.png

21 hours ago, TCA said:

Unfortunately, some of the exaggerated shapes of the old ones, while they did have a bit more of an emotive vibe, were not meshing well with applying actual anatomy, especially at the time I was making these. I tried my best and I'm glad you like the Summer lady, that's the one I had the greatest sentimental attachment to personally.

One of my oldest and most beloved dragons is this Summer Seasonal, Sabishii. She was obtained at the original release of Summers, before they had dimorphism. When the dimorphic sprites were added, I was absolutely crushed by how she went from looking aloof and powerful to looking... well... melted. Awkward. Awful anatomy and so much detail hidden by a bad angle. I had been salty for a long time, and when I had the opportunity to try my hand at updated sprites for the Seasonals, I wanted to breathe life back into Sabishii like she deserved.

• The Things TJ says
On 5/21/2018 at 12:55 AM, TJ09 said:
  8 hours ago, Shokomon said:

I have a question.

The OP implies that we collect shards (of what isn't said. Mana maybe?) and use them in purchasing things.

But the symbol for them is "g" which makes me think gold.

So are we using gold as currency? Shards of gold? Can gold even make shards? 

Clear your cache. It seems like a lot of browsers aren't picking up the actual symbol.

On 5/21/2018 at 1:37 AM, TJ09 said:

8 hours ago, Brekke said:

Why does DC update sprites?  Why not just give us new dragons?  Or retire old reds and make new reds?  I’ve collected any army of frozen seasonal hatchlings, and you take a chainsaw to to it?  Why?  Can someone explain how a company can urrge me to collect something, and then change it a decade later?  Why?

I'm sorry you feel that way. DC is not a company. It's a person; me, who is trying to put forth the best experience possible for everyone who is gracious enough to give me the valuable time out of their day. And because of that, it's hard to leave art on the site with objective flaws, knowing that there is a huge gap of standards between what was released 10-11 years ago and what would be released today. I know that's a lot of time to build up emotional attachment, but for every person who is upset by the transition to different art, it's been pretty evident that there are even more people who are excited to now have art that is more inline with the current standards of the site.

That said, there are plenty of companies willing to let you spent time admiring art and features a certain way, only to change them. Nintendo and Riot Games (makers of, you know, Pokemon and League of Legends, which are one of the most beloved video game franchises and literally the most popular game in the world respectively) do this all the time. It's a weird cost-benefit analysis when emotions come into play, but in the end, it's almost always worth it.

On 5/21/2018 at 2:21 AM, TJ09 said:

Exactly, lineages are the only we can do, and sprite updates ruin them.  Why do I stick around again?  I quit for a few years after the site ruined my golds.  I got started again in December, and the same thing is happening again.

A surprising amount of attention is given the lineage tile view of an updated sprite to make sure it is not significantly changed from the original. In fact, I'm sure many of the tradeoffs made with the new sprite (e.g. head size of the seasonals) are a result of trying to limit the impact on the lineage view to ensure that impact to existing lineages is minimized.

13 hours ago, TJ09 said:

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

19 hours ago, TJ09 said:
 ago, TJ09 said:

The same criteria for name unlocking should apply generally across anywhere encyclopedia names are used. If that's not the case (i.e. market names, trading hub search form and view pages for eggs don't all agree), then that's a bug which should be reported in Help.

Pagination has already been addressed and is happening. Bringing it up in an exasperated "we still don't have this" fashion isn't doing to change much.

- From the Trading Hub Feedback Thread

• I have COMPLAINTS! And suggestions...but COMPLAINTS!
On 5/21/2018 at 7:12 AM, StormWizard212 said:

It's still a new system. This might change with time. TJ mentioned in the Market Feedback thread (linked below) that it might change in the future. By the time you've saved up enough shards, they might be available after all. ^_^ We'll just have to watch and see. 

- Also, if you want the other suggestion threads:

• Extra Notes
On 5/21/2018 at 12:50 AM, Chronomaly said:

Considering the Market only allows 100g a week, and if you start out with 0g, I think this is reasonable. I don't think trades for super rares will fluctuate. 

11a048ebc7fac9985d8663222e61555b.png

ce99c9aecae7144e365eeb5ef88239bb.png

One gold a year, baby!

On 5/21/2018 at 1:53 AM, CursedFlames said:

RIP EATW

Never Forget

Press F to pay respects

On 5/21/2018 at 10:12 AM, yosofine said:

New Help Mods

SkyWolf25 and StormWizard212

New Site Discussion Mods

Kaini and Sesshomaru

Congrats all of you!

Congrats TJ and DC for all the entertainment and fun you've given us, we think you're great!

13 hours ago, TCA said:
  13 hours ago, TJ09 said:
  18 hours ago, cbussiere said:

Also I always assumed they were shards of mana crystals, since crystals have become really significant in DC lore and their symbol looks like a cluster of crystals.

What if they're shards of some other fantastical precious mineral?

Solid mana is relatively inert, but only "relatively" so because liquid mana is so volatile. I wouldn't really want to just casually carry it around in my pocket. Given how useful mana is as an energy source, it might not make a very good currency directly. Most developed societies I've seen seem to use abstract "proxy" objects that don't directly have use or value as currency; otherwise, you're just bartering.

One of my friends wrote a short essay on almost exactly this subject/WHY this is the case from the perspective of an RP character ranting in a blog post and it was really interesting, I'll drop it in a spoiler tag edited to be DC-forum-appropriate.

Reveal hidden contents

If you assume this RP character is Generally Correct on the subject, then shards of a rare shiny mineral makes WAY more sense than shards of solid mana as currency.

10 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

XD This.... AND we can use those shards to OBTAIN dragons! I like it. I fear I shall think of them as this, now...

6 hours ago, hazeh said:

I assumed shards were some kind of metal, perhaps even precious to an extent (perhaps just a pure piece of iron, thus can be used as currency or melted into useful tools if desired, but otherwise loses value if not in shard/tradeable form). Instead of how our metal currency is shaped into coins (and thus referred to as such), these are long and skinny, perhaps diamond shaped, and flat-leafed. And that's simply how the currency looks. Maybe it's shaped that way to resemble a dragon scale? 

On 5/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, lovecats99 said:

The Leos are really big. XD I mean, look at him in comparison to a mint!

HmVDKxQ.png  TGzfG8R.gif

Also, DANGER NOODLES! i got bored, okay

2Wu21sp.png

Edited by Shokomon
Updating things

7 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

This is a really healthy attitude to take toward sprite updates. It’s perfectly valid to dislike the new sprites for personal reasons, and we don’t expect everyone to like the new ones when an update goes out. All we ask is that you give them a chance to grow on you and try to understand the reasons behind updating.

This. I "like" the new reds just fine. They just - aren't MY reds. (I don't like my friend's new haircut either. But she's still my friend. She just doesn't look right... XD )

14 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

Thank you. I'm glad you think so and agree.

Oh, I always give them a chance, most definitely.

14 minutes ago, Starscream said:

The prizes, by their very nature, are not earned but won. They have been already managed with monthly raffles.

I need to pick up new eggs, but this is a busy weekend for me. Victoria day weekend is turning into a big party!

Unless the amount of winners in the monthly raffles massively increases, I will never be satisfied with the answer of "but monthly raffles". But this has been talked to death in a variety of threads and I'm not budging on that stance, so there's no point in going into it deeper here.

Yay! I happen to like the currency implementation a lot, this way I'd be able to save up crystals for buying eggs without having to stalk the cave :)

I've also managed to grab two of three species and one egg of the other, because I have a gold trophy and so my scroll limit is 7 :')

I got two of each of the new ones! Yay. I had to abandon two 2G silvers, but I really wanted the new ones. Hopefully my silvers find a good home!

I am 100 % unbothered by the impact of sprite updates on lineages. So far, there hasn't been a single update where I noticed any negative influence on any lineage. Mostly, it's exactly the opposite.

I would never have done a lineage project involving seasonals, because the art style very much did not fit the more elaborated art of never sprites.

Example: A lineage with Frostbites and Winters. That wouldn't have looked good before, but now I'm seriously thinking about trying this out coming winter.

oh my god!!!

i just love the market!!!!

fininally i can get a gold egg by myself!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This. I "like" the new reds just fine. They just - aren't MY reds. (I don't like my friend's new haircut either. But she's still my friend. She just doesn't look right... XD )

But you'll get used to your friend's haircut and we will get used to these sprites. I hope. I am not a big fan of updating sprites because I am old, change-averse, and sentimental, but nevertheless I will adapt. XD 

I have a question about the figures showing for the market, though.

Market.PNG.7d44d0a24ed0df9ba515af43c2298161.PNG

I'm confused. Why do I show 147 shards? Where did the extra 100 come from? I have apparently earned 47 shards since midnight, but why the 147 figure? Did I get a 100 shard bonus to start with or what does that mean?

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This is basically how I feel about it. Friend has a right to change her hair, but she looks different and I liked the old look better. 🙁

I think you have to expect this kind of reaction whenever beloved graphics are changed. 

I'm pleasantly surprised by the sprite updates. Reds were one of my favorites due to the medieval style and I wasn't looking forward to their update, but I can dig the new sprites. I can see a lot of work was put into keeping the old spirit of the sprites. 

The new eggs are gorgeous and I can't wait to see what they are.

The market and trading market are great.

Happy birthday DC!

6 minutes ago, Gluria said:

I am 100 % unbothered by the impact of sprite updates on lineages. So far, there hasn't been a single update where I noticed any negative influence on any lineage. Mostly, it's exactly the opposite.

I would never have done a lineage project involving seasonals, because the art style very much did not fit the more elaborated art of never sprites.

Example: A lineage with Frostbites and Winters. That wouldn't have looked good before, but now I'm seriously thinking about trying this out coming winter.

Um - Golds... The effect was DRAMATIC. Just saying.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

But you'll get used to your friend's haircut and we will get used to these sprites. I hope. I am not a big fan of updating sprites because I am old, change-averse, and sentimental, but nevertheless I will adapt. XD 

I have a question about the figures showing for the market, though.

Market.PNG.7d44d0a24ed0df9ba515af43c2298161.PNG

I'm confused. Why do I show 147 shards? Where did the extra 100 come from? I have apparently earned 47 shards since midnight, but why the 147 figure? Did I get a 100 shard bonus to start with or what does that mean?

I think we all started with 100. I now have 143, which is the eggs I collected +3 for an Aeon who grew up in the night.

So.  These are Hogwarts dragon, aren't they?  Red/Gold = Gryffindor, Green/Silver = Slytherin, Blue/Bronze = Ravenclaw, And the Black/Yellow = Hufflepuff.  And the egg descriptions lead to that as well, imo.

And, yes.  I'm sure this has probably already been covered in the 22 pages that exist, but I haven't read through them.

8 hours ago, TCA said:

is this a good time to mention that in the original file where the seasonal updates were in progress

image.png.77d58663bba3c49ee436155be7f81be1.png 

I spent the entire time making lineage tile mockups as I went, debating every little thing that altered them even slightly, walking back some edits because it was TOO much, and overall trying to balance improvement with preservation? i-it's not like I wanted to preserve your lineages as much as possible or anything, b-baka

Thank you so much for this!  I love art (even though my skills fail me oh, so much!) and I appreciate having this view.  It's so great being able to see the before and afters, and I loved the up close pictures of the changes to the Autumn male and Winter hatchlings.  I loved being able to see the details that are harder to see in their normal size.  Might I make a suggestion of a forum for sprite close ups and before/after pics like this?

I am another old skool player.  While I'm nostalgic and I will miss my old sprites, I love how the original sprites were respected in this update (gives a small side-eye to my beloved silvers and golds).

Edited by Moranna

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Um - Golds... The effect was DRAMATIC. Just saying. - Which I think is part of the reason we don't do them that way anymore. That change wasn't well received but newer updates that try to keep the same spirit of the sprites while having corrected issues are more readily accepted. We learn from past choices but that doesn't unmake the past choices.

I think we all started with 100. I now have 143, which is the eggs I collected +3 for an Aeon who grew up in the night. - Pretty sure you're right. We all started with 100.