TJ09

2018-05-21 - Dragon Cave's 12th Birthday!

Honestly, people need to learn to move on. I mean I would be sad if Fire Gems changed but I wouldn’t cry and whine about it. It’s a game. There are changes to be expected and one needs to be able to accept and adapt to it, even if it is a favorite sprite.

Edited by Whirlaway

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I've learned the hard way about that. When this release started I grabbed 6 random AP eggs before I started hunting, so I could only get a max of 2 of one new breed. Then I'd abandon 2 of the AP eggs, and hunt for the next breed, and etc. 

lol, I never had that problem before, well, ever?   sadly I did think of that....after the fact.  /derp

Just now, PieMaster said:

Disliking a dragon's face is not the same thing as having objective artistic flaws. And the original Seasonals paws fit what you're describing pretty well?

Baloney—my opinion about flawed dragon faces are just as valid as yours about the old seasonal hatchlings.

2 minutes ago, CursedFlames said:

RIP EATW

Never Forget

Press F to pay respects

F

OK, so I'm afraid to look at all my seasonal lineages. I get that time marches on and the sprites change whether I like it or not. I've been at the Cave this long, I can roll with it.

But when I see amazing code for Trading and a Market appear on the site, I have to wonder why a "Legacy View" can't be added to the site? I'm imagining a link that you click that will show you a lineage with first generation sprite art. I carefully choose which dragons breed together by an overall "look" that appeals to me - size, color, tile position, etc. Every time the sprites are updated, my carefully chosen pairs can sometimes look pretty bad. It would be nice to be able to continue to see my breeding lines as I originally conceived them. Would that really be so hard to add when we have trading and a market?

I'm sure this idea will be brought up in Suggestions. I'm posting it here because I think people who are upset about the sprite changes should focus on What Is And Will Not Change, and What Positive Actions Can Be Taken.

Best part of Potterish eggs is sounding extra creepy about actions, e.g. I'm going to have to trade or toss a Hufflepuff to get a Ravenclaw.

I appreciate the logic of updating sprites, but I'm going to miss the heraldic Red, even if it didn't quite fit in with its neighbors. For some reason it feels like the Seasonals still don't quite fit, but I kinda like their soft'n'squishy new look.

1 minute ago, Shokomon said:

For everyone who needs to unlock stuff for the Market (including me):

UNLOCK ALL THE POSSIBILITIES.

You're a lifesaver thank you ❤️ I never realized how empty my Encyclopedia was...

1 minute ago, Brekke said:

So tell me—what are the exact flaws you’ve corrected?  Can you be specific?  Those sprites were perfect

image.png.cb0c679ef3c9061792e4f3c23e0a0a4b.png

ok

2 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

I think the problem in comparing Pokémon art changes to DC art changes is that in Pokemon there are oodles more things to do with them then there are things to do with dragons here. The two main things to do—collect and make lineages—very much sit INTIMATELY on how the art looks, and thus make things sting a lot more when said art is changed (not that an ugly looking Pokemon model isn’t also a bummer, but there’s more to relieve the pain).

That being said, @Brekke there WERE a lot of objective problems with the old sprites; they had some really undefined anatomy with super thick, shapeless limbs and weak shading. I can see why they were chosen for updates. However I don’t like the SPECIFIC updates that were done—I feel the heads are too large (same for the reds) and they look nearly as cartoony as before, while still managing to really change the overall and lineage look. I was in the middle of several seasonal lineages at the moment so it hurts especially now. :c

Exactly, lineages are the only we can do, and sprite updates ruin them.  Why do I stick around again?  I quit for a few years after the site ruined my golds.  I got started again in December, and the same thing is happening again.

9 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Not buying it.  The floral-crowned were a major disappointment with pinched, insect faces.  Most of the dragon “paws” on this site are awful—very crudely drawn.

I know that you're not happy, and I respect that, but I think of it this way. I can't do it better and I don't own any rights to the dragons so I don't feel I have a right to complain. Example, I'm not the biggest fan of the male Frill sprite, but I can easily ignore it and over time its honestly grown on me. 

Its nice to see the new Red sprite, especially after someone brought to attention the fact that another site was using the original sprite. 

Edited by Syiren

5 minutes ago, Brekke said:

Baloney—my opinion about flawed dragon faces are just as valid as yours about the old seasonal hatchlings.

I've been learning and practicing anatomy, lighting, and perpsective through spritework, receiving critique, and practicing technique for the last six years; I think that qualifies me to talk about objective artistic merit versus subjective opinion on design. Disliking the aesthetics of a feature is severely different from a work being technically flawed.

Edited by PieMaster

Mmmmmmmmm...... a new release (that I could get in on because for a change DC's birthday doesn't align with Fanime weekend!), some lovely modernized sprites (seriously, I absolutely ADORE the new seasonals, especially the winters!).... and a bonus of watching the salt fly because "THEY CHANGED IT NOW IT SUCKS!" I only regret mass-breeding the Salt Army a week or so back so I couldn't salt the AP for the birthday instead.... plus side, the Market will help me amass more Celestials so that I can do that more often!

Almost got a complete set of the new eggs, too! Can't wait to see how they all look once they hatch! Thanks to TJ for the big update and many, many thanks to the spriters for their hard work! :D

2 minutes ago, TCA said:

ok

While I already thought they looked nice, can I just say how cool this is?  :)  Besides the nice side-by-side comparison, which is kinda neat, I'm also enjoying the "close-up" view that lets some of the smaller details be seen more readily.  I know you didn't do it for me, but thanks anyway!

4 minutes ago, TCA said:

ok

I’m talking about hatchling sprites, not adults.

43 minutes ago, Brekke said:

2 of my very favorite sprites—red adults and seasonal hatchlings and you ruined them, absolutely ruined them.  I’ve been collecting them for a decade, and you change them!  Why should I bother collecting at all?  It’s the gold fiasco all over again.  It seems pretty basic to me—you produce sprites, I collect them.  You’ve violated a simple, basic agreement.  Why can’t I keep my sprites?  Make them never be able to breed again if I choose the old sprites, but just me keep them.  Updating sprites is a horrible idea, and you ruined my favorites.  Why collect the new four?  What will they look like in a few years?

I figured the original dragons would sooner or later get modified since it's happened before. But I didn't think it would happen to the Seasonals since they were so pretty. I liked them and had created multiple long lineages around the Seasons. I don't find the changes appealing so will end up stopping all the lineages I created. There's no point in continuing combinations I no longer find attractive. I understand the desire of the designers to fix what they consider flaws, but I am disappointed that the lineages I once considered pretty are no longer appealing to me, besides all the planning I did. Now, I have to decide what to do with the offspring, since I don't like them, should I kill them? Turn them into zombies? It would be quiet a process. I probably won't release them because I don't want them reproduced with the dragons I still like. I wish there was a way to keep the old lineages as they were, but from today's date just have them produce the new version. That way the people who do like the old versions could still have the version they like sitting on their scrolls.

6 minutes ago, Crystals said:

Seasonals were my favourite breed, I hope I can get used to the new sprites...

That’s the spirit! :) I wish you luck.

Now I'm actually excited to have Seasonals. I think I'm even going to purposefully collect them!! Glad to see they got the much needed upgrade. 

The Red, too. It was getting so cringe worthy, and now it's as beautiful and awesome as ever. WHOO! 

Just realised the changes in sprites. Happy to see the Red isn't a tubby boi, anymore. XD Also like the change in Seasonal sprites: they look very silky now! Makes this lineage look a bit more interesting,

Edit: I hope Stones are up next for a sprite update, now!

Edit edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I do wish the new Seasonals kept a bit of their old chub but i'm not all that bothered about the whole thing, really.

Edited by lovecats99

It's been, what, one hour? Give it some time and I'm sure everyone will either become accustomed to the new sprites... or go sit in their hole of self-induced despair.

On a positive note: Thank you for these incredible updates (sprite-wise and site-wise)! I was put off by the currency at first, but it is well-balanced and fair.

Also... some people should remember this is a free game and they are entitled to nothing :D

10 minutes ago, TCA said:

ok

Wow, thanks so much for that!! I'm no spriter and had no idea about all those different issues, and probably would've never noticed them, but seeing the side-by-side comparison really helps see what all was fixed.

7 minutes ago, Brekke said:

I’m talking about hatchling sprites, not adults.

image.png.e935393621419a43c7a047317e947d36.png

ok

6 minutes ago, TCA said:

ok

The problems with the old sprite were too obvious to need mentioning. That being said—the heads on the new guys are drastically larger, a lot of the beautiful leaf fringe on the tail got pared down to a very small size, and the changes in limb placement remove the happy leaping look of the old. As with the old’s defects, a lot of the technical improvements go without saying, but I’m still sorry to see the change. I think too much was lost from the old. ;___;

(Also think the reds got really large looking heads too)

Of course it’s just a game and all, but at the same time it IS a game some of us have sunk over a decade into, and as such unhappiness about changes to sprites we’ve spent years collecting and working with are understandable. I don’t air my grevianances to be a meanie or a turd, just out of a (admittedly slim) hope that it might lead to change. Which historically hasn’t worked for sprite updates, but HAS worked for some other things, so you never know lmao.

Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! In game trading! Wooooo! I am so glad to see that! I have been almost completely inactive other than to check once in a while for new releases, and much of that was due to the downfall of EATW Dragonmarket. The forums were just not moving. I am so glad to see this! It makes me excited to try trading again! :D