Tears in Rain

ANSWERED:[Resolved!] Can't Delete an Attachment

Hi hi,

I'm having a problem and have been advised to create a thread about it in the Help section :lol: 

Not long ago I had an image attachment in a trade post - later on I went to repost the trade the next day. Once I did, I went back to the old post to edit everything out, but the image was still 'attached' there and was staying when I was editing out the text. I don't recall exactly what I did, but I probably was afraid to click 'delete' on the image attachment thinking that it would make the image go poof in my other posts (like it used to do before), so, in the end, not knowing what to do I just hid the post to prevent the awkward image-only post from hanging there. However, I wanted to somehow delete the image from my profile as well, but it was no longer possible.

The image is listed among my attachments and the post that contains it can no longer be accessed by me because I hid it. Moreover, I contacted a mod about this to ask for help and they kindly offered to delete the post in question altogether, and did it! - but the image is still there, 'attached' to a post that no longer even exists :wacko:

Just how do I get rid of it?

It's not a major issue I guess, since the image is small, but it's rather annoying tbh! I don't want it stuck in my storage forever, I no longer need it XD 

To add a bit of context: it seems like smth changed in the way image attachments work with the recent forum update. What I mean is that before, by pressing 'delete' on an image displayed below the post among attachments you would end up deleting the image everywhere and it would need to be reuploaded if still needed. Now, however, it seems like images are attached to multiple posts at once, and in order to delete one from your storage you have to delete it from every post that contains it.

The 'My Attachments' page shows which attachment of yours is present in which post, like this:

3bMShji.png

The links are clickable and are supposed to take you to the chosen post that contains your image.

Now, the current system seems rather convenient! But I didn't quite figure it out shortly after the change, and that's why the whole thing above happened.

In the past, to delete an image from a hidden post, you could use a workaround - start making a new post, attach that stubborn image you want to delete from 'existing attachments' and then delete it from the new post. But the system no longer works like this! If I do that, the attachment is only gone from the new post.

Is there any other way to do this now? Could anyone help me out please? :P  Am I missing some obvious option here?

If there's no way for a user to fix this issue themselves, may I suggest a way to manage one's attachments from the 'My Attachments' page (adding a way to delete them from there or smth) if that's possible to add of course?

Thank you very much! :lol: 

Edited by Tears in Rain

I've deleted that post from when I cleaned out the thread, so I don't know why it's sticking around. And none of your other attachments are persisting, I know you re-used that multiple times for other threads, but those deleted properly. This is strange.

@purpledragonclaw forgive me if this is a stupid question, but once a post is deleted is there a way to restore it? If so, restoring the post and then deleting the attachment from it as usual might work. I don't know if deleted posts go to a graveyard of sorts that they can actually be resurrected from. If not, then I've got no other ideas. :(

1 hour ago, StormWizard212 said:

@purpledragonclaw forgive me if this is a stupid question, but once a post is deleted is there a way to restore it? If so, restoring the post and then deleting the attachment from it as usual might work. I don't know if deleted posts go to a graveyard of sorts that they can actually be resurrected from. If not, then I've got no other ideas. :(

As far as I can tell, deleted posts are held onto for around 30 days before actually being deleted. I wonder if the attachment would be cleaned up at that point...

@StormWizard212 yes, we can restore deleted posts, but as TJ mentioned, we'd have to restore them before they're deleted after that 30-day period. 

Thank you TJ, for that info. I kept track of when I deleted those posts, so we'll see if that attachment's gone after 30 days.

@TJ09 @purpledragonclaw

Hey guys, I just wanted to let you know that the stubborn image attachment I couldn't delete earlier is now gone - it seems like waiting for that 30-day period did the trick. Thanks once again! :D