Fuzzbucket

ANSWERED:Spam Email

Just a heads up - I just got email - clearly spam - to the address I use for the forum, which seems to have been sent at least to many forum members and maybe to all, allegedly by one Rose Perron but that isn't the name in the address (TJ, I can supply the address it came from but not in public !)

Yo! Dragon Cave Forum.

Just check out that cool things, I'm just astonished! Take a look open link

(Link removed)

--

Rosa Perron              
massconfusion (link deleted)

Clearly anyone who gets it, do not click on anything but I thought everyone - and especially TJ - might wish to know.

As always, dragon pixels is serious business.

Luckily, I didn't receive this email, so it kinda seems they only targeted the more active users?

14 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Just a heads up - I just got email - clearly spam - to the address I use for the forum, which seems to have been sent at least to many forum members and maybe to all, allegedly by one Rose Perron but that isn't the name in the address (TJ, I can supply the address it came from but not in public !)

Clearly anyone who gets it, do not click on anything but I thought everyone - and especially TJ - might wish to know.

Sending me the full e-mail headers would be useful.

i.e. https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN22026.html?guccounter=1

OK - I was going to, but NOT in a post. (I do know how to do that !)

I have PMd them, but do you want me to forward the email ? So you have the nasty links as well ?

Based on what you've sent, this looks like standard "address book" spam.

e.g. Someone you've e-mailed via the forums (via the feature on the old software) had their account compromised, and anyone in their address book was saved for sending spam. Because e-mails sent from the forums say "From: Dragon Cave Forums," (though the Reply-To was probably listed as you), that's what the spammer assumed was the associated name. I receive tons of similar spam addressed to "Dragon" (when spammers try to figure out a first name) etc for similar reasons.

Similar cases may include sending your e-mail address via PM To someone, which gets scraped in the same manner as above.

The spam email was not sent via the forums (or any servers I use or have ever used), so a recipient address book leak seems pretty likely, given the circumstances.

7 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Based on what you've sent, this looks like standard "address book" spam.

e.g. Someone you've e-mailed via the forums (via the feature on the old software) had their account compromised, and anyone in their address book was saved for sending spam. Because e-mails sent from the forums say "From: Dragon Cave Forums," (though the Reply-To was probably listed as you), that's what the spammer assumed was the associated name. I receive tons of similar spam addressed to "Dragon" (when spammers try to figure out a first name) etc for similar reasons.

Similar cases may include sending your e-mail address via PM To someone, which gets scraped in the same manner as above.

The spam email was not sent via the forums (or any servers I use or have ever used), so a recipient address book leak seems pretty likely, given the circumstances.

Looking at the second bit you sent, the "signed" address (which isn't actually the from address) corresponds to an actual person on the forums, so I'll let them know that their address book potentially leaked.

OK - thanks. Would you please let ME know by PM as far as the individual goes (in case I have their email in MY book ?)

But for the forum - that's good. Thanks for checking.

11 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

OK - thanks. Would you please let ME know by PM as far as the individual goes (in case I have their email in MY book ?)

But for the forum - that's good. Thanks for checking.

Well you already have the email, it was in the message.

Yes, but I can't at this moment seem to tie it to anyone. I have too many address books... But OK - tell them I got it ?