HeatherMarie

ANSWERED:Why are Red-Tailed Wyrms not called pygmies?

This has been bugging me ever since TJ's grew up... Red-Tailed Wyrms are the *only* pygmies in the cave (except for Pumpkins, which are different/special in multiple ways) who don't have the designation of pygmy in their actual names. The adults do have the special text for pygmies at the bottom of their descriptions, but is there a reason they aren't called pygmies in their actual name? It can't be just because it makes the name longer, Magelights have 'Magelight Pygmy Wyverns' in their description. It just seems sort of strange that all other pygmies are actually referred to as pygmies in their official names and then this one shows up and breaks the tradition. Is it intentional, does the spriter have a reason for it, or is it possibly something that was just overlooked?

I actually prefer them without the “Pygmy” in their name. It gets to be an annoying mouthful to say “pygmy” with every breed... I mean the Nexus doesn’t say Nexus Two-Head (thank the heavens for that, lol) and I like when the breeds don’t. 

But, that’s just me.

I honestly don't care if the subtypes have the subtype in their actual name or not, I just think it's strange and a little off-putting for it to be inconsistent like this. If all other pygmies have it, this one should too. Two-heads don't have 'two-headed' in their actual names, but all drakes have 'drake' in their actual names... I just think it should be consistent one way or the other within the subtype.

Should be, but who knows lol. 

There’s variation all over the board with names. Coppers are copper dragons instead of copper wyverns, we have Tri-Horns but then Red-finneds with different capitalization, etc. I don’t see anything all that abnormal about the redtails accordingly.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I like it not. saying actually...

It's only unfortunate that they probably won't show up in group add when typing "Pygmy" into the filter (when they finally get added to the Encyclopedia).

Drakes are a special thing of their own as they aren't really considered dragons, unlike 2-heads and pygmies, in my eyes.

9 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

There’s variation all over the board with names. Coppers are copper dragons instead of copper wyverns, we have Tri-Horns but then Red-finneds with different capitalization, etc. I don’t see anything all that abnormal about the redtails accordingly.

Yeah, I wasn't even going to touch all of that, lol. The Red-Taileds are just on my mind because they are brand new and I was curious if there was an actual reason for the lack of 'pygmy' in their name... It would be really really awesome, imo, for all breed names to be consistent (whether in subtype designations or simply in capitalization), but I very much doubt that will ever happen since so many names would have to be messed with.

It's 100% because I didn't like how Red-Tailed Pygmy Wyrm sounded.

Fair enough :) I like it this way....

It’s better without, as TCA mentioned, lol. 

Thank you for the response @TCA! My stubborn curiosity is now satisfied. Guess this can be closed, then, since it's intentional.