olympe

Suggestions regarding DR

Hmmmm. Okay, a few clarification-type questions about that announcement:

What exactly constitutes 'progress' in terms of removing concepts with no progress? It says that 'bumps' don't count, that's understandable, but what exactly *does* count? Is it strictly posted art updates that count as 'progress', or actual changes to the description/encyclopedia info? Is a conversation about a specific crit and/or clarification on a specific crit counted? What about posts like 'I'm working on fixing (this anatomy issue) and should have something to show soon'? I see that the part about clearing out the section before re-opening DR specifies 'art progress' and 'art update', but that's still very vague. Only actual visible changes to the sprite? Do redlines count as 'art progress'? Does posting a new sketch count? Right now I think the whole 'no progress gets cleared' is *very* vague, which is a very bad and frustrating thing when talking about clearing people's threads. 

I'm not sure I completely understand the new DR limits.... It says DR will be reopening, and before reopening any topics with no progress for three months will be cleared. It also says there will be a max limit of 50 threads in DR.... Does that mean that if there are more then 50 threads that have progress in the last three months, it won't get reopened? Or it will get 'reopened' but the new threads won't actually be posted yet? Or... What? It also says something about a queue, if you submit a request but it goes into the queue instead of being posted, are you notified that that's what happened? Are you notified when that queued concept finally gets posted? Is there any sort of time limit for how long concepts can languish in this queue, any sort of notification about queue status, or are we just supposed to wait for months and months and hope that our concept someday actually gets posted?

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Hmmmm. Okay, a few clarification-type questions about that announcement:

What exactly constitutes 'progress' in terms of removing concepts with no progress? It says that 'bumps' don't count, that's understandable, but what exactly *does* count? Is it strictly posted art updates that count as 'progress', or actual changes to the description/encyclopedia info? Is a conversation about a specific crit and/or clarification on a specific crit counted? What about posts like 'I'm working on fixing (this anatomy issue) and should have something to show soon'? I see that the part about clearing out the section before re-opening DR specifies 'art progress' and 'art update', but that's still very vague. Only actual visible changes to the sprite? Do redlines count as 'art progress'? Does posting a new sketch count? Right now I think the whole 'no progress gets cleared' is *very* vague, which is a very bad and frustrating thing when talking about clearing people's threads. 

I'm not sure I completely understand the new DR limits.... It says DR will be reopening, and before reopening any topics with no progress for three months will be cleared. It also says there will be a max limit of 50 threads in DR.... Does that mean that if there are more then 50 threads that have progress in the last three months, it won't get reopened? Or it will get 'reopened' but the new threads won't actually be posted yet? Or... What? It also says something about a queue, if you submit a request but it goes into the queue instead of being posted, are you notified that that's what happened? Are you notified when that queued concept finally gets posted? Is there any sort of time limit for how long concepts can languish in this queue, any sort of notification about queue status, or are we just supposed to wait for months and months and hope that our concept someday actually gets posted?

Any update that includes newer art counts as an art update = progress: New sketches, new sprites, edits, redlines, etc. 

DR reopening means you will be able to post new topics again. Like what happened before DR was closed, all new topics will go in the queue for moderator approval. However, unless there are 36 or fewer topics in the section(excluding stickies), the submitted concepts will stay in the queue even after moderator approval. The moment a topic is submitted it has gone into the queue, so there will be no notifications when a topic has been added to the queue. Notifications will be given via PM when the topic is approved/rejected(including reasons for rejection) like it has always been, or is out of the queue and posted in DR, but you can ask a Help mod about its status once a month. :)

There is no time limit for concepts in the queue. The oldest topics will be accepted and posted first.

8 hours ago, Infinis said:

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/183158-section-updates-july-2018-must-read/

Please take a look at this thread.^

As always, please keep feedback and commentary civil. 

Welp, time to go though my dragon cave folder and update every thread I'm attached to with what I have.

Edited by Shokomon
Typo

Just so I understand, on 17th July DR gets cleaned of all requests that haven't had an art update since April 17th?

44 minutes ago, Quetzals said:

Just so I understand, on 17th July DR gets cleaned of all requests that haven't had an art update since April 17th?

Yes, that is correct!

I think there's a bit of a problem with the new DR rules. On the one hand, we only get to have 50 active topics. On the other hand, we may not bump topics unless they fall off page 1, meaning into the lower half of the topics. That seems a bit extreme.

Maybe in order to ask for advice/crit/progress reports? Or to give progress reports without actually posting new art? ("I'm currently trying a new sketch, but don't have a scanner right now, so upload will have to wait." Things like that.)

10 minutes ago, olympe said:

Maybe in order to ask for advice/crit/progress reports? Or to give progress reports without actually posting new art? ("I'm currently trying a new sketch, but don't have a scanner right now, so upload will have to wait." Things like that.)

Imo, I don't think the progress reports without actual visible progress is all that necessary. If someone is waiting on an update, the artist could always be PM'd directly to see the status, or it can just wait until the artist is ready to post the updated art. 

Edit: Bumping is limited to OP and artist, and can only occur if it falls of page one and has been longer than a week since the last post. 

That seems entirely fair to me. More bumping is really not necessary. 

Edited by hazeh

The problem I see isn't with the one-week stipulation, but with the "fall off the 1st page" stipulation. Because, if activity in DR doesn't increase significantly, it could take literally weeks before something can be bumped. (And I'm well aware that, right now, activity is at a high due to the imminent cleansing of threads.)

I was debating on actually having someone move my concept to locked or hidden somewhere as I still havn't gotten the money for a new laptop or computer so I can't work on it. Since I'm the only artist working on it the things been sitting there for a while. Unless someone asks if they want to help then I might keep it open, but right now its impossible for me alone to work on it. I just don't want it all deleted cause I don't have the information in the concept saved anywhere but here, and I do want to work on it, just haven't been able to.

If you have a google account, google should have a storage type tuing so you can save the text and images... or you can try to find someone to partner with who can at least hold onto the information for you....

29 minutes ago, olympe said:

The problem I see isn't with the one-week stipulation, but with the "fall off the 1st page" stipulation. Because, if activity in DR doesn't increase significantly, it could take literally weeks before something can be bumped. (And I'm well aware that, right now, activity is at a high due to the imminent cleansing of threads.)

But why would you bump something already on first page? 

Just to show that something is still going on - and to prevent it from being deleted due to "inactivity".

4 minutes ago, olympe said:

Just to show that something is still going on - and to prevent it from being deleted due to "inactivity".

I don't think it would take 5 months for them to fall off the first page

14 minutes ago, Quetzals said:

I don't think it would take 5 months for them to fall off the first page

This precisely. If it takes five months for an artist to post any sort of update to the artwork, perhaps the OP should focus more on finding a new artist than worrying about bumping a topic already on the first page. Or the OP can pm the artist directly for a non-art update if they're concerned about inactivity. 

Five months should be plenty of time for concepts that are actually getting worked on. Even for me. lol. Also, if a concept does get removed for inactivity, can it be recovered by PMing a mod? That would probably save some of the angst people are having over topics.

When a concept is removed, it isn't completely deleted. OP or artist are welcome to PM a Help or Global mod to retrieve the information from the thread for them.

Okay, I have a question for multi concepts.

One of my threads is a multi concept, but Im already at the current 2 limit for requests.

It's going to have to eventually get split up, right?

If so, if I'm at my max, who is going to control those threads? Are they going to disappear?

Also, will have to choose between picking one of my threads and chucking the other?

2 hours ago, Shokomon said:

One of my threads is a multi concept, but Im already at the current 2 limit for requests.

If so, if I'm at my max, who is going to control those threads? Are they going to disappear?

Also, will have to choose between picking one of my threads and chucking the other?

I assume it will be handled in the same way those users with multiple threads will be;  so long as they all have the proper activity needed to remain in DR, you just have to finish all of them before any new threads of yours are accepted out of the queue. 

Threads that are not making progress will be cleared out of the section on a regular basis.

• Threads that do not have an artist and/or have made no progress in five months will be removed from the section.
  • Bumps will not count toward progress.
  • Any art update will count as progress, including new sketches, new sprites, sprite/sketch edits, and redlines.
  • Description/encyclopedia updates will not count as progress; you still need an artist.
  • Removed threads are not deleted. They can be retrieved at any time; simply contact any mod with the title of the thread to find.
    • Please note that threads will not be placed back in DR - what will happen is all relevant info will be gathered and sent to you in a PM so that it can be resubmitted through the queue.

-Bumps and status checks will not save a concept from clearouts. If a concept is in danger of being removed, you can PM the involved artist(s) to see if they can provide an art update, or edit one of the previous posts to ping them.

-As Rainstar has said, all information in the removed threads can be retrieved at any time. c :

@Shokomon Hazeh is right - you will be allowed to keep all threads as long as they're still active. :) You just won't be able to submit a new concept until all of those threads have been moved to CR or removed. If you feel that you will be handling too many threads, you can request certain dragons to be dropped instead of being split.

10 hours ago, Shokomon said:

We've updated the section update sticky a bit on multiple concept threads. To answer this concern specifically:

"After the initial 3-month clearout takes place, we will be splitting up multi-concept projects, with each into its own thread. We will absolutely notify OPs of this before we do it, so that, ideally, they can grab a few posts for us to split out their threads to so they remain OPs of the new threads as well."

If someone with a topic already in DR submits another one, will it get rejected even if it meets the requirememts, or will it be accepted and put in queue, but only posted when they finish the one in DR?