tvman889

Mobile App??

7 hours ago, tvman889 said:

• Push Notifications (If TJ decided to incorporate that)

I crossed this out because you're right heather, that would give mobile users an advantage.

There's actually a thread somewhere about a Kickstarter and if I recall correctly, the idea was generally frowned upon by TJ.

Maybe the idea needs to be re-introduced to TJ, but with revisions that we come up with to ensure nothing is unfair for anybody.  Anybody would turn down an idea as broad as this one, but give him a laid out plan with some contingency and I'm sure he'd give it a more thoughtful look.

Edited by tvman889

16 minutes ago, tvman889 said:

You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to chip in for a project like this.  :D Haha, I know I would help in whatever way I could.  I've hosted a naruto-themed game on an engine known as "BYOND" that relied solely on donations to keep running, and it was up and running for a loooong time.  And the app wouldn't exactly have to be something "huge" that TJ has to invest all of his time in, like I said before it would be something that could be tinkered with on the side so that things don't get deterred from the development of dragcave itself.  

And seeing how friendly and helpful the Dragon Cave community is, I'd say that it is very reasonably optimistic.  :P

I'm sure there would be users who would love to chip in, but enough to actually develop *and* maintain the app for the foreseeable future? I've been poking around and it seems that most low-end 'starter' apps cost at least $15-20k just to develop it and integrate everything needed. Most how-to articles say to calculate about 20% of the development cost for maintaining the app, so that's another $3-4k. Of course I am no programmer and I don't pretend to know what goes in to making an app, but that sounds like an awful lot to be relying on user contributions.

Maybe the idea needs to be re-introduced to TJ, but with revisions that we come up with to ensure nothing is unfair for anybody.  Anybody would turn down an idea as broad as this one, but give him a laid out plan with some contingency and I'm sure he'd give it a more thoughtful look.

It's a good idea to work out how exactly a suggestion may be done, but be careful about getting too detailed, TJ doesn't seem to like that (he posted about it in the Trader's Canyon suggestion, about "impossible-to-meet expectations because it's guaranteed to not happen as spelled out in the OP").