tvman889

Mobile App??

This is a general question for any moderator who may be able to answer it.  But is there any way dragon cave’s Code could be condensed into an app for smart phones? I’ve only just returned to dragon cave so I’m not sure how often this has been brought up, if at all. I just feel that it would make it more convenient to mobile users, and would be a much faster way to check on eggs and such, compared to getting on safari every time they want to check. 

If you have access to the internet on your phone, DC converts to a mobile version. Otherwise, there isn't an app.

That's what I mean, though.  I'm not sure how difficult it would be, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would prefer an app exclusively for Dragon Cave.  And the mobile version of the website pretty closely resembles an app, at least imo.  That's actually what made the idea pop up in my head.  I'm not an app developer so I don't know any of the details behind it, but I'm sure it's doable. 

TJ has expressed disinterest in making an app in the past, likely due to the required development time and added development pressures taking away from the core game (not to mention the upfront cost, at least for iOS apps).

I don't see how using Safari is any different than using a Dragon Cave app, being that said app would be, for the most part, the same as the existing mobile version. I usually just stay logged in all the time. By doing this, all I have to do is open Chrome and switch tabs to check on my scroll. It would take just as long for an app to load up. 

I use the mobile version of DC sometimes and I am happier with it being a non-app. I don't like having to download a special app for an online game like Dragon Cave.

i prefer not to have an app take up space on my phone, and it works just as well on mobile internet so i don't really see a point, sorry :( maybe you can give some reasons why you think it would be better to have an app specifically?

An app for Dragon cave would be extremely small, considering it would basically just be a way to use the website's interface through faster means.  And choosing an app over safari is pretty straight forward.  An app is one-tap and you're there, safari is another story.  Maybe I'm the only one, but I tend to close out of my tabs in safari to conserve on battery and to keep things organized.  Now, I'm sure many people could just put it as a bookmark (As I have) and then go to your bookmark list and select it, but again, this would take longer than simply clicking on an app.  And also, it wouldn't have to be something that TJ focuses solely on, but simply something that could be done on the side to give the website more relevance and utility.

I'll make a list of the benefits I'd see in making it an app.

• Much faster accessibility
  • The app would most likely be small enough to fit on just about any phone.
  • The app would be similar, if not, the exact same as the mobile version of the website meaning nothing from the game would be altered for the sake of it expanding to an app.
  • It would help Dragon Cave stand out from the other virtual pet websites.
  • As an app, it could be updated in terms of functionality and responsiveness, again eliminating the worry of an app taking as long as simply going on the browser.
  • More convenient to those who may not have access to a computer.
  • Increased visibility to potential players.
  • Increased engagement with current players.
  • Push Notifications (If TJ decided to incorporate that)

These were just a few of the things that popped up in my head but I'm sure there are a few other benefits that I'm just not thinking about at the moment.

Edited by tvman889

Also, I'd just like to add, I'm sure if there was a Dragon Cave app on the app store all of you would have it on your phone. Lol :lol:

Edited by tvman889

If an app would be faster than the mobile site, that would be something that would advantage some players over others. Which makes it a no-no, I'd say.

ETA and while I don't have a smart phone, I do have a tablet. The fewer apps I have on it the better. Every app added makes these things that bit slower and takes up space. I keep mine lean and keen. And I think an ap would cost, which again means a potential advantage for those who can pay.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

...?  How would that put anybody at an advantage? Literally anyone with access to the mobile site would have access to the app as well lol.  That's kind of the point of the app :lol:

If it's faster, it gives an advantage to those who have it. If android only, iPhone users lose out or vice versa. If it costs, that knocks some people out. Some people have older gadgets that can't take any more, and so on.

I wouldn't want an app cluttering my tablet; why should I have to instal one to be on a level playing field with those who fill their phones with apps, either?

I feel like you're sort of reaching on this one, Fuzz lol.  It's just one app, and it probably wouldn't be a very big one either.  And again, it wouldn't be an advantage so if one brand of phone had the app and the other didn't, the one without the app could simply use the browser (As they've been doing) until it was released for iOS/Android.  This is more about the general idea of making Dragon Cave an app for phones, and not so much about whether it would be on android or iPhone, or when it will be released for both mobile devices, or how it would replace dragcave.net in any way.  You may be looking at this from a wrong point of view lol.  

Incidentally there are several threads about this in suggestions...

For one.

TJ said he'd like ideas to improve the mobile site instead.

7 minutes ago, tvman889 said:

I feel like you're sort of reaching on this one, Fuzz lol.  It's just one app, and it probably wouldn't be a very big one either.  And again, it wouldn't be an advantage so if one brand of phone had the app and the other didn't, the one without the app could simply use the browser (As they've been doing) until it was released for iOS/Android.  This is more about the general idea of making Dragon Cave an app for phones, and not so much about whether it would be on android or iPhone, or when it will be released for both mobile devices, or how it would replace dragcave.net in any way.  You may be looking at this from a wrong point of view lol.  

If the wrong point of view means having less than no interest in this suggestion, then you're spot on. But you say you wouldn't be disadvantaged using the browser instead, and also that the app would be faster. You can't have it both ways. Faster=advantage.

Apps eat memory/data. I have one game that I consistently play on my phone. It uses a big chunk of my storage. If you pay for your phone bill, the apps that you put on your phone may be something to consider when deciding whether or not DC is something that you "really" want eating space on your phone. I'm with fuzz. I don't really consider an app to be an advantage. I just think it'd yet another cluttery thing to download. Also no thanks on push notifications. I'd rather those were optional if the app ever became a thing. But if it's going to be "the exact same" as the mobile site, I don't think we need it that badly.

Edited by Jazeki
On mobile. Typos.

If there was a mobile app I know I would not use it. I don't like apps, and I much prefer using the internet browser over an app any day.

Edited by Whirlaway

I still don't see how an app is better than Chrome/Safari/whatever. This was a nice thought, but there are too many cons:

• There are already options to make logging in/playing on mobile faster (bookmark, leave a tab open, save your password, etc.). It takes only a few seconds.
  • We already have an option on the forum for receiving email notifications. Just turn notifications on if you have an email app. The main site itself does not send out notifications for reasons that would affect the game.
  • The app layout would be the same as the current mobile layout. Why not just play on mobile?
  • It isn't free to create an app. The site pays for itself through ad revenue, but ads would significantly slow the app down, defeating its purpose.
  • If the app were faster than desktop/mobile, players using the app would be have an advantage when it comes to hunting in the cave. The lag is already bad enough during the holidays. 

I personally wouldn't use the app either. I have never had issues with playing on Chrome.

Edited by The Dragoness

15 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I still don't see how an app is better than Chrome/Safari/whatever. This was a nice thought, but there are too many cons:

• There are already options to make logging in/playing on mobile faster (bookmark, leave a tab open, save your password, etc.). It takes only a few seconds.
  • We already have an option on the forum for receiving email notifications. Just turn notifications on if you have an email app. The main site itself does not send out notifications for reasons that would affect the game.
  • The app layout would be the same as the current mobile layout. Why not just play on mobile?
  • It isn't free to create an app. The site pays for itself through ad revenue, but ads would significantly slow the app down, defeating its purpose.
  • If the app were faster than desktop/mobile, players using the app would be at a disadvantage when it comes to hunting in the cave. The lag is already bad enough during the holidays. 

I personally wouldn't use the app either. I have never had issues with playing on Chrome.

I haven't had problems on chrome myself, but I'm not on the computer all the time either.  I go out and do things, and thus can't always keep a tab open.  Would that mean that I, as a mobile user, would have the disadvantage because other people can keep a tab open and check it every once in a while?  Would an app not be equivalent to having a tab open on a computer?  And with the argument of apps taking up storage, would that not be putting people who would sacrifice some phone space for Dragon Cave at a disadvantage as well? (Not that it would be much space, regardless).

In response to your list:

• Tabs can be left open, and bookmarks can be made, but compared to simply tapping on an app, I'd say that I would much prefer the latter, rather than messing with those options in the first place. 
  • Email notifications =/= push notifications.  Email notifications get sent to your email, which you would have to check regularly to see.  Push notifications would pop up straight on your phone, and it wouldn't interfere with the game in any way.  It would simply be little things such as "An egg has contracted Dragon Sickness!" or "An egg has hatched!" or something along those lines.  (And push notifications would naturally be optional, in response to Jazeki's reply)
  • The point of making an app that is similar to the mobile layout is for the reasons I stated in the last list I made.  There are a few of those things that just overshadow a mobile version of the website.
  • By no means did I think it was free to create an app.  But with a little contribution from the players (and maybe a little handy work from TJ) it's certainly possible.
  • The "advantage" an app user would get from hunting caves compared to a desktop would be little to none.  That'd be the equivalent of comparing a laptop to a gaming computer.  Some people have a gaming computer, so that would automatically put them ahead of everybody else.  The advantages that are being mentioned aren't really advantages, just faster connection, faster OS, etc.  

By the way, I may sound like I'm trying to be aggressive but I really do appreciate everybody's feedback on this.  It was a genuine question I had in mind and I just don't really understand how making it an app would put desktop users at such a disadvantage, as you guys say.  And thank you for taking the time to make a list of concerns you have about the idea, Dragoness.

Edited by tvman889
(And push notifications would naturally be optional, in response to Jazeki's reply)

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

But you say you wouldn't be disadvantaged using the browser instead, and also that the app would be faster. You can't have it both ways. Faster=advantage.

When I said “by faster means” I meant for phone users, not for all dragon cave users in general. I was referring to simply tapping an app instead of going through safari. 

1 minute ago, tvman889 said:

When I said “by faster means” I meant for phone users, not for all dragon cave users in general. I was referring to simply tapping an app instead of going through safari. 

I wouldn't see much different in an app and mobile. You'd still have to be connected to WiFi to see everything. As a strict mobile user, I have no problems catching dragon, I even catch hard to get dragons sometimes and send them out as presents to random users. The only difficulties I have is if I want to sort my dragons, making new groups, and using Fertility. Other than that, I have little to no trouble.

Personally, I feel like this would be a wonderful idea. As I’m not aware of when my eggs get sick or cured, when they hatch, or when they have become grown. Also feel like if they converted the mobile site into an app platform, everything would be more accessible, also adding towards the rp instead of just a picture of an egg the app could involve an actual picture slide show of the areas you search or even the evolution between dragons. All in all. I support this 100% where’s the kick starter?

5 minutes ago, Gizmolten said:

Personally, I feel like this would be a wonderful idea. As I’m not aware of when my eggs get sick or cured, when they hatch, or when they have become grown. Also feel like if they converted the mobile site into an app platform, everything would be more accessible, also adding towards the rp instead of just a picture of an egg the app could involve an actual picture slide show of the areas you search or even the evolution between dragons. All in all. I support this 100% where’s the kick starter?

Haha show me the Kickstarter page and I’ll  donate a little :lol: and that’s a good point about having an improved map of the areas you can search. Not only would accessibility be improved, but think of the possibilities with aesthetic updates, such as an improved map, or a “research” section where the details of your dragons’ species could Be seen. Of course, that’d probably be farther down the road. But still. 

11 minutes ago, tvman889 said:

Haha show me the Kickstarter page and I’ll  donate a little :lol: and that’s a good point about having an improved map of the areas you can search. Not only would accessibility be improved, but think of the possibilities with aesthetic updates, such as an improved map, or a “research” section where the details of your dragons’ species could Be seen. Of course, that’d probably be farther down the road. But still. 

That is definitely getting into 'advantage' area though. You say an app wouldn't give anyone an advantage, but if there are things on the app like improved maps and extra details that are not on the regular site, then yes that is giving some sort of advantage. Advantage doesn't just mean getting eggs easier. 

1 hour ago, tvman889 said:

Tabs can be left open, and bookmarks can be made, but compared to simply tapping on an app, I'd say that I would much prefer the latter, rather than messing with those options in the first place. 

• Email notifications =/= push notifications.  Email notifications get sent to your email, which you would have to check regularly to see.  Push notifications would pop up straight on your phone, and it wouldn't interfere with the game in any way.  It would simply be little things such as "An egg has contracted Dragon Sickness!" or "An egg has hatched!" or something along those lines.  (And push notifications would naturally be optional, in response to Jazeki's reply)
  • The point of making an app that is similar to the mobile layout is for the reasons I stated in the last list I made.  There are a few of those things that just overshadow a mobile version of the website.
  • By no means did I think it was free to create an app.  But with a little contribution from the players (and maybe a little handy work from TJ) it's certainly possible.
  • The "advantage" an app user would get from hunting caves compared to a desktop would be little to none.  That'd be the equivalent of comparing a laptop to a gaming computer.  Some people have a gaming computer, so that would automatically put them ahead of everybody else.  The advantages that are being mentioned aren't really advantages, just faster connection, faster OS, etc.  

I have no clue what type of phone you have, how much accessibility you have, whatever, but I'm going to address these points in a general way:

'Simply tapping an app' is *not* always faster then going to a mobile website... On my mom's smartphone, for example, most apps will take upwards of 2 minutes to fully load. That is definitely not faster then simply opening up Chrome and clicking a bookmark. So the argument that an app is much faster/easier is very subjective and depends on each person's phone. 

Push notifications would give an advantage, as I've tried to explain in the Suggestions thread about it. People who have the ability to get those notifications 24/7 on their phone will have a lot more up-to-date knowledge on their scroll that users using the regular website would not have. Even if I'm logged onto the website 24/7 I will not know that a dragon is sick unless I actually go to the page and refresh, but here you are saying a notification would just pop up on someone's phone telling them about it. 

A feature that requires 'a little contribution from the players', especially a monetary contribution, is probably not a great idea. There are people who donate to DC, but no one can count on that, and basing the building and financing of something as huge as an app around players contributing to it... That's sort of very very very overly-optimistic. 

18 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That is definitely getting into 'advantage' area though. You say an app wouldn't give anyone an advantage, but if there are things on the app like improved maps and extra details that are not on the regular site, then yes that is giving some sort of advantage. Advantage doesn't just mean getting eggs easier. 

Ehh, yikes. Perhaps I should start wording my argument a little better.  The map and research section was a suggestion for an aesthetic update but again that wasn't part of the original concept.  Regardless, though, that would be way down the road and it would just be a way to make the app look a bit prettier.  Same things could be applied to the website itself.

'Simply tapping an app' is *not* always faster then going to a mobile website... On my mom's smartphone, for example, most apps will take upwards of 2 minutes to fully load. That is definitely not faster then simply opening up Chrome and clicking a bookmark. So the argument that an app is much faster/easier is very subjective and depends on each person's phone. 

Push notifications would give an advantage, as I've tried to explain in the Suggestions thread about it. People who have the ability to get those notifications 24/7 on their phone will have a lot more up-to-date knowledge on their scroll that users using the regular website would not have. Even if I'm logged onto the website 24/7 I will not know that a dragon is sick unless I actually go to the page and refresh, but here you are saying a notification would just pop up on someone's phone telling them about it. 

Ehh, I have an iPhone 6 and I would always say that tapping an app is faster than going to a website.  Safari usually makes me sit and wait for the page to load through the browser, and while yes you would still need an internet connection to connect to it, there's not really an argument I can think of that would say safari is faster than 'simply tapping an app'. 

However,  I can see your argument with push notifications.  Perhaps that WOULD give an advantage to mobile users so with push notifications out of the picture, what downside would there be to simply having an app for the website?  I still stand by the rest of the list I made.

A feature that requires 'a little contribution from the players', especially a monetary contribution, is probably not a great idea. There are people who donate to DC, but no one can count on that, and basing the building and financing of something as huge as an app around players contributing to it... That's sort of very very very overly-optimistic. 

You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to chip in for a project like this.  :D Haha, I know I would help in whatever way I could.  I've hosted a naruto-themed game on an engine known as "BYOND" that relied solely on donations to keep running, and it was up and running for a loooong time.  And the app wouldn't exactly have to be something "huge" that TJ has to invest all of his time in, like I said before it would be something that could be tinkered with on the side so that things don't get deterred from the development of dragcave itself.  

And seeing how friendly and helpful the Dragon Cave community is, I'd say that it is very reasonably optimistic.  :P

Edited by tvman889