TerraAnne

Birthday surprise rare?

A join date badge seems simpler and less likely to annoy people during holidays/releases. Maybe a small bundle of shards that don't count towards your weekly limit that you can claim at any time during your join date week too, but I'd be worried about people periodically complaining that it's too small for an anniversary present. 

On 4/14/2018 at 5:57 PM, HeatherMarie said:

What I mean by 'work for' the dragons is that you *do* things... You have to search for the eggs you want, which can actually be very very challenging for anything that isn't super-common. Or, if you are breeding, you had to search for and raise those dragons you are about to breed... I'm not sure what dragons you are collecting that make getting them 'the easiest' part of the game, but that's certainly not most people's experience. Many people breed for months before getting the right type of egg, for example, and I often refresh in the biomes and AP for hours at a time without even seeing the breed I'm looking for. 

I'm simply saying that *every* other dragon in this entire game, you have to actually do something specific to get it, whether raising other dragons in order to breed it, or spend time hunting for it, or hunting something else in order to trade for it, or raising three dragons in order to enter the raffle... Simply being handed a dragon just because it's your birthday would be something totally different then what the game has ever been. I'm not passionately against it, I just think it's a huge step away from what the game normally is.

Not sure if this threads still active, I didnt want to make a whole new one when this is close enough.

I was going to suggest -and in complete coincidence with the fact that its my birthday- not a free egg, but just slightly better Common to Rare ratio in the biomes? I don't mean like "every 10th egg is a silver" xD just....maybe less "Ive spent so, so much time in the biomes that I now see three black eggs every time I blink and Ive had to start factoring in the way my vision now periodically blurs over, its been a month and I haven't even seen a Silver or Gold"

Still putting in the effort of trying to catch them, but maybe once a year trying to catch rare CB eggs could feel less like a decent into madness : )

(fyi: I understand coding so little Im still not sure it isnt a form of witchcraft, so I literally have no idea if any of that is possible)

We already get plenty of birthday dragons... DC's birthday.  Personal birthdays can be faked and encourage multi-scrolling if we end up with dragons directly on the scroll that are capable of breeding, etc. 

I think the best option would be a badge where it is similar to easter basket / trick-or-treat collections of sprites. Only with the birthday badge you don't have to go hunting for it and only one sprite per year is added to the badge.  Everyone gets the same sprite for a given year. The following year a new sprite is created.  Since it's just a collection of sprites that you look at and not actual dragons... that takes out the urge for some to want to to multi-scroll or disrupt trading/breeding values.

2 hours ago, bloodyneptune said:

Not sure if this threads still active, I didnt want to make a whole new one when this is close enough.

I was going to suggest -and in complete coincidence with the fact that its my birthday- not a free egg, but just slightly better Common to Rare ratio in the biomes? I don't mean like "every 10th egg is a silver" xD just....maybe less "Ive spent so, so much time in the biomes that I now see three black eggs every time I blink and Ive had to start factoring in the way my vision now periodically blurs over, its been a month and I haven't even seen a Silver or Gold"

Still putting in the effort of trying to catch them, but maybe once a year trying to catch rare CB eggs could feel less like a decent into madness : )

(fyi: I understand coding so little Im still not sure it isnt a form of witchcraft, so I literally have no idea if any of that is possible)

Basically, what osmarks said. That would completely change the way the biomes work, would probably take a *ton* of extra coding, and in general seems like a very huge departure from what we currently have. Right now in the biomes everyone sees the same thing. No matter where you are, what time of day it is, if it's your birthday or anniversary or what, everyone sees the same thing at the same time. To do something like this would mean completely re-working how the biome works in general. For just one day a year for each person. I can't imagine how complicated that would get. Plus it would wreck havoc on general ratios, considering how many users this game has ie how *many* birthdays will happen each year. 

38 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Basically, what osmarks said. That would completely change the way the biomes work, would probably take a *ton* of extra coding, and in general seems like a very huge departure from what we currently have. Right now in the biomes everyone sees the same thing. No matter where you are, what time of day it is, if it's your birthday or anniversary or what, everyone sees the same thing at the same time. To do something like this would mean completely re-working how the biome works in general. For just one day a year for each person. I can't imagine how complicated that would get. Plus it would wreck havoc on general ratios, considering how many users this game has ie how *many* birthdays will happen each year. 

....Obviously everyone sees the same thing -_- Im going to claim Cave Madness as an excuse for somehow not remembering that before hitting reply. Of course that would mean basically special biomes for whoevers birthday/anniversary it is. Seriously, Im proud of myself when I use HTML to make a picture into a link, you could tell me coding requires actual magic, and I wouldn't know enough about coding to dispute it.

three CB blacks.  lol I remember when those were user-driven super rares.  but no to this, even doing one month a year (say DC's birthday) for everyone at the same time instead of the user's birthday would destroy ratios for years.

On 4/25/2018 at 7:24 PM, Phovos the Raptor said:

I don't think actual birthdays would be a good idea. But an optional dragon (or even a leetle tree or badge) you can claim that changes for as many years as you've been on Dragon Cave for? That would be cool.

I like this suggestion a lot. Or even the option to 'breed' your leetle tree or something, would be nice! That way. you only need scroll space for the leetle tree, and is quickly removed once you got it - similar to CB leetles.

I like the idea of it being your 'Joined Date' as opposed to birth date (as then there's no one committing fraud of changing the date to constantly get something)

That being said, if DC was to offer any sort of birthday gift - I'd rather it not be a dragon, and instead maybe be Shards so that we can buy eggs of our choice.

It need not be a lot of shards (maybe just an automatic 100 shards on that date) but I feel it would help give people a boost.

30 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

I like the idea of it being your 'Joined Date' as opposed to birth date (as then there's no one committing fraud of changing the date to constantly get something)

That being said, if DC was to offer any sort of birthday gift - I'd rather it not be a dragon, and instead maybe be Shards so that we can buy eggs of our choice.

It need not be a lot of shards (maybe just an automatic 100 shards on that date) but I feel it would help give people a boost.

Now that's something I could get behind. Birthday shards, if not a lot of shards, would be much better (and probably more feasible) then a whole special dragon.

I like the idea of a birthday gift, but if it's a dragon it'd have to be so riddled with restrictions it almost becomes not worth it. (almost.)

While a dragon would be neat, I'd be just as happy with shards or a badge that counted the birthdays you logged in for.

10 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

I don't support this at all, but IF it were to happen, join date is the only real option. I can just see people changing their birthday every month....

I support the badge idea on scroll anniversary. It could change every year to become more fancy or just simple additions like another candle.

Just... don't allow the option to change your birthday more than once? I don't see the problem.

The way a site I work on in my daytime hours handles changing birthdays is to allow it to be changed at any time, but once you claim a birthday gift, the claim goes into a year-long cooldown. In other words, if you had your birthday set to December 12th and you claimed your gift and then changed it to January 9th on December 13th of 2018, the cooldown would last until December 12th 2019, i.e. you would be able to collect your January birthday gift for 2020, but not for 2019.

I'm not sure why you would want adjusting your birthday to be a supported feature at all, really.

13 minutes ago, osmarks said:

I'm not sure why you would want adjusting your birthday to be a supported feature at all, really.

Because some people sign up with a fake birthday (heck, I do this frequently - most websites have no reason to know my exact birthdate, and a birthdate makes it somewhat easier to have one's identity stolen (even trivial in some contexts, e.g. my health insurance, if I didn't have my health insurance number at hand, would ask me for my birthdate and name to 'confirm' who I am in some situations), so I'd rather not have it scattered in places that don't need it) and want to change it to the proper one.

Or people who signed up and made an error when entering their birthday.

Or people who just don't view their birthday as an important day, but would prefer to celebrate a different day in a basically identical fashion (say, a relationship anniversary - and then their relationship changes and thus the date changes).

Those are the reasons I can think of offhand. There might be others.

Yeah - I think I didn't post my birthday here, nor would I ever.

Personally I think a caveday dragon would be fine. If you login on the day you joined the cave, you can accept a caveday egg. Just have it operate similar to GoNs - can't produce true, can't be traded. People can't breed dinos or chickens or GoNs, but people still want to collect them and have them on their scroll. Or if people are going to complain that they can't remember to log in that day, have the egg be acceptable/collect-able for that week.

Shards is another cool alternative.

Edited by High Lord November

Some of us don't have cavedays. I joined in 2008, but the exact date is unavailable officially. I know it was in October and my first dragon was stolen on Oct. 5, 2008 and miraculously managed to survive my ineptitude at raising dragons, so I have a pretty good idea that I joined a day or so before that (eggs were not plentiful in the cave back then and it took me awhile to capture my first one.)

Even so, I think the day you joined is more appropriate than your birthday to get something special, if this idea were implemented. I can't really say I am in favor of it, though. Definitely not exclusive breedable dragons like the Prizes. The trade market doesn't need that!

14 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Some of us don't have cavedays. I joined in 2008, but the exact date is unavailable officially. I know it was in October and my first dragon was stolen on Oct. 5, 2008 and miraculously managed to survive my ineptitude at raising dragons, so I have a pretty good idea that I joined a day or so before that (eggs were not plentiful in the cave back then and it took me awhile to capture my first one.)

Even so, I think the day you joined is more appropriate than your birthday to get something special, if this idea were implemented. I can't really say I am in favor of it, though. Definitely not exclusive breedable dragons like the Prizes. The trade market doesn't need that!

That's a good point. How would our 'caveday' be calculated, for those of us who joined so long ago that the specific day is unknown? I'm assuming by first dragon, though 'stolen on' date isn't an accurate 'join on' date if it was an AP egg... And I know I had multiple dead eggs before my first successful adult. 

I'd much rather it just be a badge or a handful of shards then an actual dragon, though. I don't like exclusive dragons in general, I don't like limited 'can only get a specific way' dragons. I honestly don't think it sounds fun at all to have a new shiny awesome dragon that you can only get 1 of each year. And depending on when in the year it's implemented, waiting a whole year to get your first one.... No thanks. I'd much rather have some extra shards or a spiffy badge.

Easy solution to the problem of no true join date would be to either set the date to the 'stolen on' date for the oldest dragon on their scroll OR just make it the first of the month you joined in (ex. So if you joined sometime in October, your date is set to oct. 1st)

10 hours ago, osmarks said:

My idea was based on this being a thing. I didn't know one could change their birthday on their scroll. It should just remain static.