TerraAnne

Birthday surprise rare?

I think I also would rather not see multiple variations of the birthday dragon.Ā 

Yeah, I'm more in favor of a badge or something rather than a dragon.

Or even something temporary, like how when you view your Twitter profile on your birthday it makes balloons appear.

16 minutes ago, TerraAnne said:

If multiple forms is not interesting then perhaps only one form and one color might be better?

3 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Eh, Iā€™m not really interested in another dragon that canā€™t breed true. Might as well just give out a birthday badge or something.

Ā 

That being said, neutral turns to no if thereā€™s going to be multiple forms / colors. I realize the lack of these things means people might not get a birthday ā€œpresentā€ that suits their wants, but Iā€™d vastly prefer that over introducing a ton of new dragons in forms / colors that you can only get at a rate of one per year. For most collectors (and collectors are what DC is, unsurprisingly, centered around!), thatā€™s not a gift, thatā€™s a nightmare.

I had sort of assumed these would be only one color or whatever.

Ā 

Because of the above and if custom codes for prizes would be a lot of work to make...personalized colors for this would be too.

I didn't get the idea that that was what the OP was suggesting.

Edited by JavaTigress

If this were implemented, I would like to see people who have birthdays/anniversaries that fall within the holiday weeks to have a belated/delayed birthday bash. It's not really fair to force them to take an egg during holiday times when everything is so busy - or make the egg claimable for a period of like, 3 weeks so people can take theirs whenever they'd like.Ā 

21 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

If this were implemented, I would like to see people who have birthdays/anniversaries that fall within the holiday weeks to have a belated/delayed birthday bash. It's not really fair to force them to take an egg during holiday times when everything is so busy - or make the egg claimable for a period of like, 3 weeks so people can take theirs whenever they'd like.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I didn't think of this. That would kind of be annoying. Though if we could set our own birthdays (even if we use a false birthday to keep privacy)Ā  couldn't we set them to some random day nowhere near a major holiday to avoid that kind of madness?

Also I'll edit the first post to have the single type and color dragon idea now. ^-^

Edited by TerraAnne
misspelled stuff fixed

1 hour ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@JavaTigressĀ multiple forms and colors were suggested right in the OP

Ā 

Even without them, like I said before, non-true-breeding dragons are kinda meh.

O.o oh! Clearly I need to read a bit more carefully, then.

As there are no compelling reasons why there should be a birthday dragon, I'm afraid this suggestion will probably be low priority even if it is considered.

That said, I'm somewhere between neutral and positive about this suggestion if

1. There are no multiple variations of the dragon

2. You do not get eggsĀ if you missed the birthday/join date(I think checking on the site on that particular date counts as 'work done' for an egg?)

3. They are untradeable.

For the breeding part, maybe we lock the 'breedĀ itself'Ā to be untradeable, breeding true could work? For example, if a 2G from the B-day dragon is a B-day dragon, it would be untradeable, but if it's a breed from the other parent, it would be tradeable. We all get a 100% chance of getting one CBĀ B-day egg a year as long as we don't miss the date, so I don't think breeding lots of B-day dragons within one's scroll wouldn't matter as long as it can't become trading fodder.

Honestly, I'm not too into this suggestion myself.Ā  I could get behind the idea of having a special sprite for dragons caught on your birthday though. :)

I dunno, the sprites would be birthday themed or something.

I just... donā€™t understandĀ whyĀ this would be needed though? I honestly find a dragon given for a special date like a birthday/anniversary sort of unnecessary. Especially because I donā€™t see how those dates are of suchĀ importance that a new, special breed needs to be made for it.Ā 

Ā 

Ā But thatā€™s just me.

1 hour ago, TerraAnne said:

Though if we could set our own birthdays (even if we use a false birthday to keep privacy)Ā  couldn't we set them to some random day nowhere near a major holiday to avoid that kind of madness?

Ā 

having a birthday right on top of Christmas, I never get to celebrate my birthday on my birthday because all my friends are gone home, so like... not lovin' the concept.

Personally, Iā€™m highly in favor of a badge to a dragon, and Iā€™m even more in favor of a badge for the anniversaries of our join dates. It creates a lot lessĀ drama than a whole new dragon would, and also would be a lot less work to implement,Ā in my opinion.Ā 

Ā 

On the topic of the badge, perhapsĀ every different join year has a different badge. For simplicityā€™s sake, it could be something like aĀ cake that says the join year, so that the effort involved for each newcoming year is minimal and there are very few differences between years. Alternatively, the badge could count the number of years youā€™ve been on DC! Theyā€™re separate ideas from the original suggestion, but it could also be implemented for birthdays- though if there wasĀ a badge for how many birthdayā€™s youā€™ve celebrated on DC, it would be very similar to the anniversary concept, which is why I find it pretty much unnecessarily complicated compared to the anniversary one.Ā 

Ā 

Having a special dragon for my birthday would be wonderful ... and may be my only gift.

Ā 

Is a lovely idea ...Ā Ā (y)

Ā 

whether it is do-able is another matter ....Ā  but it'sĀ the thought that counts.Ā  :PĀ 

@WhirlawayĀ I mean, this is a game about collecting pixel dragons and getting all excited over them. The game itself isn't necessary. Thus rejecting something simply because it's unnecessary doesn't seem a strong argument, haha! If it's highly wanted and doesn't disturb the existing game, then why not? Those are the points for discussion, I think.

Ā 

Anyway I'm just here to keep playing devil's advocate because I'm pretty neutral on it, but:

Ā 

1) Why not let birthday dragons breed true? Everyone's getting one at a rate of one per year, so the gap between the "haves" and "have nots" would by necessity close up way too fast to make them much of a rare commodity. It would also let people actually get some use out of them, making them more than glorified scroll badges, and might even facilitate cute between-friend trading ("I'd be honored if you'd accept this egg from my Festivity Dragon, you mean a lot to me and...")

Ā 

2) In regards to passing out eggs to people with holiday birthdays--I believe during the pre-monthly raffle prize distributions, if someone won an egg it showed up on their scroll regardless of if they were locked or not? That one "extra space" only applied to the dragon and went away when it was mature, so you couldn't abuse it in any way to sneakily get an extra egg of a normal breed. Something like that would work just fine in this case too, I reckon.

Hmm, that thing about holiday birthdays is a point.

Maybe not an exact birthday dragon, but a birth month dragon instead? (Even more fun - do you guys remember that old dragon concept in DR about birthstone dragons?) Even if it's a different dragon every month, it will give us at least one special CB, and we could trade that one's offspring for the other breeds. Or make these "birth month dragons" breed like seasonals...

I don't think actual birthdays would be a good idea. But an optional dragon (or even a leetle tree or badge) you can claim that changes for as many years as you've been on Dragon Cave for? That would be cool.

I support this idea.

Ā 

Many games give players a gift on their birthday or start-day anniversary (Ultima Online is the one that pops into my mind). You can even get free meals from real-life restaurants and stuff like that. So, since Dragon Cave is a game, and its players are its lifeblood, why not gift people?

Ā 

(I don't even celebrate my birthday - it falls on a holiday, which is awkward - but I still like free stuff & for it to be acknowledged).

Ā 

Edited by perzephone
nevermind, someone already thought it up

Not a bad idea... But a couple suggestions?

- If the dragons can breed, make it so it can't have offpsprings of it's same species, just like holidays outside their specific holidays.
- No dymorphism, so we can avoid a case of ''I have to wait one whole year for the other gender!''

- Have the option to receive your ''Celebration Dragon'' either on your birthday or the day you joined DC. You might be busy on your b-day or just want to keep your privacy, but this gives some flexibility.

- If having a Birthday Dragon it's too much and a badge too little... How about a Leetle Present or a Leetle Cake?

Ā 

Just suggestions.

On 4/15/2018 at 9:08 PM, Darkstorm34 said:

Personally, Iā€™m highly in favor of a badge to a dragon, and Iā€™m even more in favor of a badge for the anniversaries of our join dates. It creates a lot lessĀ drama than a whole new dragon would, and also would be a lot less work to implement,Ā in my opinion.Ā 

Ā 

On the topic of the badge, perhapsĀ every different join year has a different badge. For simplicityā€™s sake, it could be something like aĀ cake that says the join year, so that the effort involved for each newcoming year is minimal and there are very few differences between years. Alternatively, the badge could count the number of years youā€™ve been on DC! Theyā€™re separate ideas from the original suggestion, but it could also be implemented for birthdays- though if there wasĀ a badge for how many birthdayā€™s youā€™ve celebrated on DC, it would be very similar to the anniversary concept, which is why I find it pretty much unnecessarily complicated compared to the anniversary one.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I'd also like an anniversary badge more than a birthday dragon. I know we already have the join date up in the stats section but a little badge could be fun too.

Ā 

My birthday is right at the beginning of the Halloween breeding period so I would be miffed if I had to save a spot for that while people with birthdays in more empty parts of the year never had to deal with that hassle. If the dragon just appeared already grown like the Sinomorphs I'd be okay but I think I'd still prefer a badge. angelicdragonpuppy's idea for a kind of special spot is also fine but seems more complicated than the ideas that TJ normally goes for, so I'm not sure something like that would ever be implemented.

I like the idea, here is how i would like for it to work:

Ā 

1) people can insert in setting when they were born (it is hidden to anyone else)

2) At the top of everyone's scroll there is the number of birthdays celebrated inĀ currentĀ day. for example "45 users celebrate their birthday on 23 June."

3) If you click on it you can "randomly donate an egg" either produced by you or caveborn

4) the gifted egg will appear as a mistery box at the top of everyone who is celebrating their birthday that day

5) the first who claims it keeps it. The gift could also be denied.

6) Both if you accept or deny it you're prevented to receive moreĀ 

7) you don't know what you'll receive. it is a mistery gift, a surprise. must be accepted fro what it is or refused entirely

8 ) premade AND OPTIONAL sentences to go along with the gift: Happy Birthday. -Ā Don't abbandon if you accept it. - Reveal scroll name of the gifter

9) if not enough eggs are produced for everyon'e birthday DC automaticaly random select an Egg from the AP. the gift in this case is signed by TJ

Edited by Naruhina_94

I suppose I like the idea of anniversary dragon a bit more than the birthday dragon, since my birthday is on Christmas Eve. I wouldn't want to be one eggslot short during the holiday season, since I always struggle then to breed and hatch everything I planned to (Holiday x Holiday lineages collector here :)). With the birthday dragon version, some things could be a bit problematic. It was mentioned already that some people don't want to give their birthday date, and this isn't something that every user is obligated to give when creating an account.

2 hours ago, Naruhina_94 said:

Ā 

1) people can insert in setting when they were born (it is hidden to anyone else)

2) At the top of everyone's scroll there is the number of birthdays celebrated inĀ currentĀ day. for example "45 users celebrate their birthday on 23 June."

3) If you click on it you can "randomly donate an egg" either produced by you or caveborn

4) the gifted egg will appear as a mistery box at the top of everyone who is celebrating their birthday that day

7) you don't know what you'll receive. it is a mistery gift, a surprise. must be accepted fro what it is or refused entirely

8 ) premade AND OPTIONAL sentences to go along with the gift: Happy Birthday. -Ā Don't abbandon if you accept it. - Reveal scroll name of the gifter

9) if not enough eggs are produced for everyon'e birthday DC automaticaly random select an Egg from the AP. the gift in this case is signed by TJ

Ā 

I don't like the idea of a birthday dragon in general but I *definitely* don't like this!Ā 

Ā 

First, making it a 'whoever grabs it first' thing sort of defeats the entire purpose of the suggestion, which is to simply give users a special dragon for their birthday. That's not giving users a special dragon for their birthday, that's just yet another thing for users to compete for and miss out on. Second, getting a birthday dragon should not depend on other users gifting eggs, that sets it up for a whoooole lot of drama and disappointment (what happens during new releases when most users are locked with the new dragons for days on end?). Third, a randomly selected egg from the AP is *not* a birthday gift, especially since many AP eggs are messy and/or super-common and many users don't like those.Ā 

24 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Ā 

I don't like the idea of a birthday dragon in general but I *definitely* don't like this!Ā 

Ā 

First, making it a 'whoever grabs it first' thing sort of defeats the entire purpose of the suggestion, which is to simply give users a special dragon for their birthday. That's not giving users a special dragon for their birthday, that's just yet another thing for users to compete for and miss out on. Second, getting a birthday dragon should not depend on other users gifting eggs, that sets it up for a whoooole lot of drama and disappointment (what happens during new releases when most users are locked with the new dragons for days on end?). Third, a randomly selected egg from the AP is *not* a birthday gift, especially since many AP eggs are messy and/or super-common and many users don't like those.Ā 

Ā 

I agree with every word of this.

Ā 

Also join date instead of birthday in case people have birthdays over Christmas etc - well, maybe they JOINED over Christmas...

This whole thing is fraught with pitfalls. And so very unnecessary. Maybe - just MAYBE - a badge for logging in on your join date. But only once. Not a badge every year.

3 hours ago, Naruhina_94 said:

Ā 

No offense meant, but this suggestion is awful. And, while I like the idea of being able to gift someone something for their birthday, I don't doubt for a millisecond that someone will consider it "funny" to "prank" the birthday boys and girls with dirt commons and/or awful lineages. Or do so out of ignorance. So, one player gets a CB gold from a lovely fellow player, and another gets a 17th gen messily inbred balloon. I really don't want to see the drama coming from this.