Fuzzbucket

ANSWERED:Watched thread notifications not happening

I suspect I am not alone. It isn't that the forum address is blocked, as I am getting PM notifications. Nothing is going to spam - I have looked. But I have several threads marked for instant notifications and I haven't had a notification in weeks. I have tried unfollowing them and then following them again - nothing works.....

I remember the last time this happened it didn't affect everything, just certain threads for me. As far as I can tell I am not missing any this time. Are you not getting notifications on any of them?

3 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I suspect I am not alone. It isn't that the forum address is blocked, as I am getting PM notifications. Nothing is going to spam - I have looked. But I have several threads marked for instant notifications and I haven't had a notification in weeks. I have tried unfollowing them and then following them again - nothing works.....

I'm seeing five different emails from the forums sent to your address and accepted by your mail provider today. If you aren't seeing them, nothing looks amiss on my end, so you might want to check your junk mail folder or something.

Yes, I got all of those. They were ALL about private messages. As I said - I AM getting those. but not about threads. I follow several threads where there were new posts - Travelling Europe, for one  - and I simply didn't get them. I have checked my junk - nothing. I haven't had one single notification about a thread in many weeks now, only about messages. I have missed out on a couple of tickets in the Europe thread as a result. (The others do matter less, but I am still not getting them.)

What I can't understand is why I am getting them for messages and not for threads. How can that be a browser thing ? That's a serious question; I'm not taking the proverbial - but if there is some way I can do something to my browser, I may start getting them.

@Fuzzbucket are you getting notifications on the forum for these threads? Does activity show up in your notifications list, or not at all? That information might give a bit more insight into where the problem lies. 

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What I can't understand is why I am getting them for messages and not for threads.

Do you get notifications for being quoted or tagged?

Please check here: https://forums.dragcave.net/notifications/options/

Scroll down to see the second list of options (header says "Notification List" and "Email") and check what is set for the "General" settings, e.g. "New content for things I follow" and "Someone comments on something I follow". Try to toggle the email setting for these to see if it's actually set how it should be?

No , I don't get tag notifications. That screen is well known to me. I disabled them; I HATE them with a passion ! You want to see my screen so you can see I'm not nuts ? (OOps I cropped the but that shows the second column is set to email - but you know that !

5ad1f4143fdc1_Image2.thumb.png.0e9676fea58da0e0adc90fa8a422d117.png

5ad1f40c31edf_Image1.png.1836a9acebcaee656832aa5b482da5b0.png

Edited by Fuzzbucket

@Fuzzbucket is it worth toggling the 'Notification List' option to see if that makes a difference? I know that it shouldn't, but if there's some kind of glitch then getting the notifications on the forum might kickstart the email notifications.

At the very least, turning on the 'Notification List' option might give you a little bit more information about what's going on. For example, if you have both on and still get neither notification, then it would confirm that the issue is with your account/the forum rather than your email provider. 

This one:

"Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community"

I'm wondering if this may be the issue? Could it be that the forum doesn't "notice" you're back?

I have tried following and unfollowing threads, which had no effect. I'll faff around a bit more when I have time - thanks for the suggestions. I have some life to do !

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

This one:

"Only send one email notification for content I follow until I revisit the community"

I'm wondering if this may be the issue? Could it be that the forum doesn't "notice" you're back?

Now THAT'S a thought - I never log out,. I'll toggle that one though I do turn my PC off at night....:)

Toggled. Now let's see what happens next :)

OK - that worked. Now I am getting an awful lot of emails - but it's better than none :) Thanks, ruby.