Riverwillows

Pronounciation Fun

Pronounciation Fun  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got back from Disneyland. Having argument with friend.

Note: I'm not a native English speaker :lol: Sadly, they don't mention the name in any of the movies.

Oddly enough, I say Cari-Be-in when referring to the movie, but Car-Rib-be-in when discussing the actual region itself XD

Maybe it just flows differently depending on context?

In where I live, it pronounces as Kae - Ri - Bi - An. I'm not native English speaker :/

Edited by sh20000sh

I'm kinda the same as The Dragoness. Usually I do say "Cari-BE-en" but sometimes it switches to "Car-RIB-be-an."

However, it is pronounced "Cari-BE-en" in the movies so that's probably why I say it that way the most being that I rarely talk about the Caribbean in a context unrelated to the movies.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I always say Cari-BE-en, regardless of the context. :P So does everyone I know - I think it's a pretty standard pronunciation in Australia. I've only heard it pronounced the Car-RIB-be-an in American films/TV shows.

RIB if I'm feeling lazy, BE when I'm serious business. Haven't been there in a couple of years. Anything new about the ride itself?

4 hours ago, The Dragoness said:

Oddly enough, I say Cari-Be-in when referring to the movie, but Car-Rib-be-in when discussing the actual region itself XD

This is exactly how I do it, too. XD I think referencing the movies is the only time I've ever pronounced it Cari-be-an. 

I say "car-RIB-be-in", when discussing the geographic location. I do the other version for the very, very few times I even mention the movies series, oddly enough. I personally like "car-RIB-be-in" better.

Since the word is based on the Carib (kareeb) natives of the Caribbean Islands, I think that is why I mostly pronounce it that way...  ka-reeb-ee-an a third alternative, it seems.

I'm British, and we pretty much all say Cari-BE-an, for both geographical and the movie. I've only heard the other way be pronounced by Americans.

I mostly pronounce it as Cari-BE-an, both unconsciously and seriously. Personally, I like it better as well.