halfsourpickle

In Search of the Sacred OOC (ACCEPTING!)

NOW ACCEPTING CHARACTERS!!!!!

INTRO

An ancient evil has awakened in the heavenly realms. The only ones to remember its origins are the old, primordial gods, but though they were first to sense the return of evil, they were too late to prevent it from taking over their bodies. The Jade Emperor has turned on his subjects, attempting a hostile takeover of both the mortal realm and the domains of other gods. Though his divine subjects follow his orders and fight battles for him, many have defected, whether it's to escape his newfound tyranny, to find a cure for his corruption, or to assassinate him and place into power someone more worthy. Nv Wa hasn't escaped this fate either, and in her altered state of mind, she has now used her powers of creation to birth monsters to beat the Jade Emperor's forces back. However, her monsters aren't fully under her control, and they're killing gods and innocent humans alike. Yanluo, ruler of the Underworld, held out the longest, but even he ultimately succumbed to the evil. He has released hordes of vengeful spirits and ghosts into the mortal realm, leaving chaos in their wake. Almost immediately afterward, he closed his doors to the outside world, cutting off access to the Underworld and all but isolating it from the other two realms.

The gods are at war, and humans are caught in the middle.

DIVINE SPIRITS AND HOSTS

A vast majority of the deities involved in the conflict have been stripped of their power and banished to the mortal realm. They were forced to latch onto humans, biding their time and regaining their strength, so that one day they may rejoin the battle. These human hosts grow up not knowing they've been "possessed," and the divine spirit lies dormant, absorbing energy from the heaven and the earth until it is forced to show its hand, perhaps in a moment of mortal peril.

The spirit keeps an eye out for other spirits, trying to continue their duties even in their weakened state. Once awakened, they help their hosts spot monsters disguised as humans, as well as other divine spirits. Though they may have started out aligned with a faction, they've had time to think over the war, and may have decided to change their allegiances. Those aligned with the Emperor may decide to assassinate the king, whether it's for his own good or to usurp the throne and bring someone more suited for the position into power. Those aligned with Nv Wa may decide to suppress her, in order to stop the constant flow of monsters and chaos.

HUMANS

The only humans who are aware of the conflict and the revived evil are Taoist priests and other followers of Taoism. They work to defend their surrounding mortal communities from encroaching monsters, while trying to find the origin of the corruption in the heavens. Peachwood swords are incredibly effective in defeating monsters and ghosts/demons, and they won't set off metal detectors either. Paper talismans are used as tools of exorcism as well. Modern Taoists have made innovations to their tools and practices to keep up with modern technology, the younger generations especially so.

MONSTERS

Monsters are active again, though they take human forms in order to disguise themselves. They usually operate and coordinate with a group in one area, taking orders from a leader. Some monsters have hidden amongst the humans for years, decades, or even centuries, waiting for an opportunity to let them wreak havoc. Others have come crawling out of their own lairs and domains to take this chance to overthrow the deities.

OTHER DEITIES

Deities who haven't directly participated in the war will have either been overcome by the corruption, or they'll have gone into hiding in the mortal realm as humans, waiting for the whole thing to blow over.

RULES

1. Follow all DCForum rules! Keep everything PG-13.
  2. greenglassesgal will be helping me host this and push the plot forward.
  3. No godmodding or powerplay, of course.
  4. Try not to write one-liners! I don't want to restrict this RP with a minimum word/sentence/line count, but it's more fun for everyone if you can make posts as detailed and vivid as possible.
  5. You can have as many characters as you want, but try to keep it within reason.
  6. Deity characters will have to be approved by me or GGG first before you can make a form for them.
  7. Only two deity characters per person! This includes host characters.
  8. No OC deities!
  9. If you have any questions at all about Chinese mythology, feel free to DM me or GGG! This is also a good resource to skim over quickly and figure out which mythological figure you'd like to play. There are links to other pages that detail Chinese folk religion and culture at the bottom of the linked page.
  10. Put "ggg u succ" in the Other section of your forms if you've read the rules.

CHARACTER FORMS

Human

[b]Username:[/b] 
[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Age:[/b] 
[b]Gender:[/b] 
[B]Sexuality:[/b] 
[b]Appearance:[/b] 
[b]Personality:[/b] 
[b]History:[/b] 
[b]Skills/Abilities:[/b] 
[b]Weapons/Tools for Exorcism:[/b] 
[b]Other:[/b] 

Hosts (humans with a deity's spirit inside them)

[i]Host[/i]
[b]Sexuality:[/b] 
[b]Powers/Abilities:[/b] [after divine spirit has been awakened]
[b]Weapon(s):[/b] 

[i]Deity[/i] 
[b]History:[/b] [as depicted in the myth]
[b]Powers/Abilities:[/b] 

Monsters (human disguise and monster form)

[i]Human[/i]

[i]Monster[/i] 
[b]Species:[/b] 
[b]Sexuality:[/b] [does this even apply to monsters? who knows]

Deities

[b]Sexuality:[/b] [like with monsters, i'm not sure if this fully applies, but b creative and have fun w it!]
[b]History:[/b] [as depicted in the myth]
[b]Faction:[/b] [Jade Emperor or Nv Wa]

Edited by halfsourpickle

RESERVED MYTHOLOGICAL FIGURES

Hou Yi - SarkhanVol

Yue Lao - Pyrowings

Dragon King - SoiledLove

Nv Wa - ggg

Jade Emperor - Chrysophylox

Daji - Chrysophylox

Nezha - Chrysophylox

ACCEPTED CHARACTERS

Hosts

Spoiler

greenglassesgal

Spoiler

Host

Name: Ruijie Zhu 祝瑞杰

Sexuality: Bisexual

Appearance: Ruijie's got a skinny build, and stands at a standard 5'8. He has your plain old Asian black hair, grown to chin-length and cut with side swept bangs. He occasionally wears thickly-framed glasses over his dark brown eyes, but usually goes without them. He often wears collared shirts and slacks.

Personality: Tending towards the awkward side, Ruijie is hopeless when it comes to social contact. As a result, he prefers to keep his distance from people, making very few close friends. He doesn’t like getting involved with things that don’t immediately concern him. If you pester him hard enough, though, you’ll find that he’s kind of a pushover. He's otherwise quite studious, and can focus on a task to the point of tunnel vision.

History: At a young age, Ruijie was pressured by his parents to pursue a path of medicine just like them. He went along with it, immersing himself into his schoolwork to get good grades to go to a good university. Thankfully, he does enjoy the subject, though his drowning out of everything but studying didn’t do any favors for his people skills.

Powers/Abilities:

- Levitation: Though he can’t fly outright like Chang’e, Ruijie can hover up to 10 feet in the air. He can go as fast as his typical running speed, and it tires him out just as quickly if he tries to go past that. He can also hold his current altitude to cross gaps/pits, given that they are short enough to get over within 10 seconds. If he takes any longer, the levitation breaks, and he'll fall.

- Gravity Manipulation: Ruijie can alter gravity within a 12 meter radius around him, decreasing it down to as low as that of the Moon. He can choose to be personally affected by it or not.

Weapon(s): A staff.

Other: why

Deity

Name: Chang’e

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Appearance: Chang'e stands at a willowy 5'9. Her pale skin contrasts with her long jet-black hair, which she keeps in two bunny-like loops on the top of her head, the excess hair trailing out in a ponytail. Her hair is further adorned with a pink flower hairpin. She wears a flowing blue and pink hanfu and has a jade bracelet on her wrist. Despite her cool demeanor, her eyes are a warm brown.

Personality: Like the moon, Chang'e comes off as graceful, but distant. Years of relative isolation has left her yearning for more contact, but also robbed her of ability to openly express herself. She does try her best to socialize, though conversation is often stilted at best. Make no mistake, though--beneath her reservedness, she harbors an intense loyalty towards those she cares for.

History: Chang’e was the wife to the legendary archer Hou Yi. As a reward for shooting down nine of the ten suns that were plaguing the earth, he received an elixir of immortality to share with Chang’e. When bandits attempted to forcibly steal the elixir from Chang’e when Hou Yi was away, she refused, drinking it herself. The elixir was too powerful, and as a result, she floated upwards, forever locking her to the moon to reign as its goddess, with only the Jade Rabbit and Wu Gang for company. Being detached from the happenings of the heavenly realms and mortal realms alike, she could only watch on as the corruption spread. When the time came for her to finally join the war, she chose to fight against Nv Wa, if only to prevent mortals from being killed by corrupted monsters. Unfortunately, she was defeated, and thus latched onto Ruijie to recuperate.

Powers/Abilities:

- Divinity: She's an immortal goddess. Granted, she's a recovering immortal goddess, but an immortal nonetheless.

- Flight: Chang’e has figured out how to master the very flight that had trapped her on the moon. Though she still cannot cross the gap between the Moon and Earth on her own, she does have the ability to float around at will.

- Gravity Manipulation: Chang'e can decrease the sway of gravity in a localized area of her choice with a thought, bringing it down to as low as that of the Moon. She can reverse this effect just as quickly.

Weapon(s): A ji, specifically the double-crescent fangtian ji. The blade is made with a golden yellow metal.

Other: chrys no

Deities

Spoiler

Chrysophylox

Spoiler

Username: Chrysophylox
Name: Meng Po 孟婆
Sexuality: Asexual aromantic
Appearance: Meng Po stands at only 5'3 (~160 cm), and she would look just like a regular girl were it not for her hair. She has long white hair that flows onto the ground and pools around her feet, and her short stature only makes her hair seem longer. Her skin is pale as death, her eyes black, and her lips red as the Naihe River that runs beneath her bridge. She wears a white hanfu, with black trim and vine-like embroidery on the sleeves, along with a red sash and hem on the inner sleeves. Her hair is gathered in a half-braid at the back of her head, the rest of her hair hanging loosely. A gold hairpin decorated with white chrysanthemums sits behind her left ear. Her expression is melancholy, and she doesn't smile often.

Personality: Meng Po is quiet. Millennia of working at her position has taught her not to engage the souls who cross her bridge - there's no point in getting to know someone who will forget her within moments. Even if she encountered the same soul again, which she has, over and over, they would not remember her like she remembered them. But she was content with just listening and watching. Even after leaving the Underworld, Meng Po still has not gotten into the habit of socializing.

History: Meng Po has spent an eternity observing the end of human life. Whether they led a long and fulfilling life dedicated to charity and goodwill or were a criminal lowlife and had their life cut short by one of their many enemies, they all came to her in the end, in order to forget their past lives and prepare for their next. She offered them nothing but her Tea of Forgetfulness, her 迷魂汤 (mi hun tang), a brew that contains all the flavors known to man and induces instant and permanent amnesia. She watched the dead spirits come and go, watched them reminisce about fond memories, watched their eyes slip out of focus as they let go of the last shreds of their lives. She watched as they were sent to be reincarnated into a new being, and the cycle began anew. After Yanluo, King of Hell, released all the ghosts and spectres from their resting places in Huang Quan, Meng Po still stayed faithfully at her bridge, though she knew that the cycle of life and death had already been thrown out of balance. When Yanluo closed his doors to the mortal and heavenly realms, isolating his court and kingdom from the outside world, Meng Po decided to do the same. There was no point in continuing to send souls to a reincarnation wheel she knew did not spin anymore, and she resolved to take this as a chance for a long overdue vacation. She tidied up her bowls and cauldron, and climbed up to the mortal realm to take a look at the new world. She had only ever gone to the untouched parts of the human world, gathering herbs from ponds and streams to make her Tea of Forgetfulness. Now, she lives in a dilapidated building at the edge of a small town, listening for news about the Underworld and waiting for its doors to reopen. As she is a goddess, she doesn't need to eat, and she often volunteers at the local soup kitchen. She passes each day as undisturbed as before, observing the other side of human life.
Powers/Abilities:

- Immortality: Meng Po can live forever without needing to eat, drink, or even rest.

- She has an extensive knowledge of plants, able to identify both poisonous and edible species and everything in between.
Weapon(s): Meng Po isn't a fighter, but in a pinch, a metal soup ladle will do.
Other: ggg u succ

SoiledLove

Spoiler

Username: SoiledLove

Name: Dragon King 龙王, but he’s going by the somewhat 中二 and really not at all lowkey name of Long Aotian 龙敖天

Sexuality: Pansexual

Appearance: Exactly six feet tall in human form. Original dragon form is 30 feet long.

Personality: As the representation of the masculine yang energy, Aotian generally has a very confident and haughty front. He’s generally unwilling to show worry or weakness, or back down from a challenge, and his pride means a lot to him. Unfortunately for him, he has a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve, at least in human form. Aotian can come off as quite arrogant and often is very confident and stubborn in his ways. He looks down on humans and monsters alike in a sort of patronizing way, but doesn’t necessarily dislike them. In fact, he is curious about human life and is very eager to try out new things, such as trying to fit in with humans. He gets irritated when mistaken for one of the Dragon Kings of the Four Seas or the Yellow Dragon.

History: The Dragon King is the zoomorphic representation of yang energy and the king of dragons and creatures of the sea. He has never been a common face on Earth, only appearing occasionally on the orders of the Jade Emperor – sometimes to fight in his stead, sometimes to protect human life, sometimes to carry out other schemes. While he is loyal to the Jade Emperor, he’s uncomfortable with serving the Jade Emperor as he is now, as well as very unsettled. So he’s given himself a sort of… vacation, so to speak, in the human world, trying out the human lifestyle. He wants nothing to do with that war. He’s trying to stay lowkey and blend in with the local highschool students, but… he’s kind of bad at it. For one, he’s been made fun of repeatedly for the name he chose, but at least his looks fit his name.

Powers/Abilities: He is able to transform between a human and dragon form, as well as a cross between the two (human with dragon head). His human form can be considered a representation of masculinity, in that it has changed over the years as the concept of masculinity and masculine beauty changed. Thankfully, such changes generally don’t happen often, and he can keep a stable and constant human form if needed. Apart from that, he has control over rain, though this control is weakened/shared between him and local dragons. He is also able to spit water (like a hose or pump), generate water from nothing, and manipulate existing bodies of water. He also has command over sea creatures, though this is also weakened in the presence of other dragons. In his dragon form, he’s able to fly, his scales provide him with ample protection and his claws and teeth are razor sharp. His power, compared to other powerful dragons that can create massive storms and whatnot, is actually kind of weak. However, being the king of dragons, he has some influence over other dragons and they have a natural fear of him. Of course, he’s immortal and all that jazz.

Weapon(s): Claws, teeth and water

Other: lol wut i have to say ggg you succ?

Edited by halfsourpickle

How about the Cthulhu Mythos, granted they are a more recent form of 'myths' with no defined religion quite a few Outer and Great Old Gods are quite fascinating. If so I'd definitely like to put a hold on Azathoth and Yog-Sothoth. Though it's your plotline so it doesn't make a particular difference to me. If not I'd like to put a hold on Hou Yi. 

Edited by SarkhanVol

I'm always game for chinese mythology because there's not enough of it in mainstream media outside of china 👀

If Romance of Three Kingdoms is mythical enough, I might be looking to reserve Guan Yu -- if not, there's tons of other figures for me to choose from (I can't decide).

7 minutes ago, TehUltimateMage said:

I'm always game for chinese mythology because there's not enough of it in mainstream media outside of china 👀

If Romance of Three Kingdoms is mythical enough, I might be looking to reserve Guan Yu -- if not, there's tons of other figures for me to choose from (I can't decide).

While most other figures wouldn't count, Guan Yu (Styled name Yunchang) is genuinely venerated as an 'ascended deity' and is the God of Brotherhood, War, and Martial Power. Though he's the ONLY Three Kingdoms figure to be revered as a God so figures like Zhang Fei (Yide), Liu Bei (Xuande), Cao Cao (Mengde), Zhuge Liang (Kongming), and Sima Yi (Zhongda) wouldn't count. 

14 minutes ago, SarkhanVol said:

While most other figures wouldn't count, Guan Yu (Styled name Yunchang) is genuinely venerated as an 'ascended deity' and is the God of Brotherhood, War, and Martial Power. Though he's the ONLY Three Kingdoms figure to be revered as a God so figures like Zhang Fei (Yide), Liu Bei (Xuande), Cao Cao (Mengde), Zhuge Liang (Kongming), and Sima Yi (Zhongda) wouldn't count. 

没事,我知道

just makin sure crys would be ok

@SarkhanVol I'd rather keep this confined to mythologies that are already established in history and in cultures, if that makes sense. Chinese mythology is already quite niche compared to more "mainstream" ones, and the Cthulu mythos is even more so. However, I can and already have reserved Hou Yi for you!

@Pyrowings Yue Lao has been reserved for you!

@TehUltimateMage I'm going to define Chinese mythology as gods that were worshipped in traditional and folk religion, so the only character (so to speak) I'm accepting from Chinese literature will be Sun Wukong, who was already a deity but was popularized by Journey to the West.

As for general resources, the wikipedia page on Chinese mythology is actually quite comprehensive in listing Chinese mythological figures.

Hold off on reserving for now, though, because I still need to figure out which figures will be more plot-heavy and will need to be under my control.

Edited by Chrysophylox

I gotta say, I love this interpretation of a Nuwa who actually cares about humans, considering she canonically got bored after making half of them.

I'm not sure I'll be able to join this with exams coming up, but I'll be keeping an eye on it! Good luck.

@octopi damn i didn't even know that,, guess i have to brush up on my mythology knowledge haha. but i'm gonna just go w the thought that even tho she got bored she's still protective bc she's the one who made the humans, after all. kinda like the whole "the only one allowed to bully my sibling is me" thing. but hey thanks for the interest! good luck on your exams also!

Edited by Chrysophylox

Hello Chrys yes I am here to support! I see you've got my reserves already so that's cool. It's true that Nv Wa did get bored and started taking shortcuts in making people part way through, but for the purposes of this RP we can play her as her being protective over them as her creations. Forms will be up... once we figure out the plot.

It is 1:30 AM in the morning, I am just the slightest bit tipsy and I still have a chapter of The King's Avatar to translate, but I am here for this. May I reserve the Dragon King if that's allowed?

Edited by SoiledLove

Oh, um, the Wikipedia page is honestly confusing me because I’m not sure if the Dragon King is separate from them or if the Dragon King refers to the group of Dragon kings. It’s also 4:43 so I’m not entirely coherent. From what I see on the wiki page though, it seems like Dragon King is one being that presides over/takes the form of 黄龙 and 四海龙王

ok finals are over and im back from the dead let's get this party started!!!!!!!

i am now accepting character forms!!!

Myeh my finals are in June, I'm not out of the woods yet 😢check this form in any case. Not sure which interpretation of the Chang'e myth to go with, but I'll stick with this one for now.

Username: greenglassesgal

Host

Name: Ruijie Zhu 祝瑞杰

Sexuality: Bisexual

Appearance: Ruijie's got a skinny build, and stands at a standard 5'8. He has your plain old Asian black hair, grown to chin-length and cut with side swept bangs. He occasionally wears thickly-framed glasses over his dark brown eyes, but usually goes without them. He often wears collared shirts and slacks.

Personality: Tending towards the awkward side, Ruijie is hopeless when it comes to social contact. As a result, he prefers to keep his distance from people, making very few close friends. He doesn’t like getting involved with things that don’t immediately concern him. If you pester him hard enough, though, you’ll find that he’s kind of a pushover. He's otherwise quite studious, and can focus on a task to the point of tunnel vision.

History: At a young age, Ruijie was pressured by his parents to pursue a path of medicine just like them. He went along with it, immersing himself into his schoolwork to get good grades to go to a good university. Thankfully, he does enjoy the subject, though his drowning out of everything but studying didn’t do any favors for his people skills.

Powers/Abilities:

- Levitation: Though he can’t fly outright like Chang’e, Ruijie can hover up to 10 feet in the air. He can go as fast as his typical running speed, and it tires him out just as quickly if he tries to go past that. He can also hold his current altitude to cross gaps/pits, given that they are short enough to get over within 10 seconds. If he takes any longer, the levitation breaks, and he'll fall.

- Gravity Manipulation: Ruijie can alter gravity within a 12 meter radius around him, decreasing it down to as low as that of the Moon. He can choose to be personally affected by it or not.

Weapon(s): A staff.

Other: why

Deity

Name: Chang’e

Sexuality: Heterosexual

Appearance: Chang'e stands at a willowy 5'9. Her pale skin contrasts with her long jet-black hair, which she keeps in two bunny-like loops on the top of her head, the excess hair trailing out in a ponytail. Her hair is further adorned with a pink flower hairpin. She wears a flowing blue and pink hanfu and has a jade bracelet on her wrist. Despite her cool demeanor, her eyes are a warm brown.

Personality: Like the moon, Chang'e comes off as graceful, but distant. Years of relative isolation has left her yearning for more contact, but also robbed her of ability to openly express herself. She does try her best to socialize, though conversation is often stilted at best. Make no mistake, though--beneath her reservedness, she harbors an intense loyalty towards those she cares for.

History: Chang’e was the wife to the legendary archer Hou Yi. As a reward for shooting down nine of the ten suns that were plaguing the earth, he received an elixir of immortality to share with Chang’e. When bandits attempted to forcibly steal the elixir from Chang’e when Hou Yi was away, she refused, drinking it herself. The elixir was too powerful, and as a result, she floated upwards, forever locking her to the moon to reign as its goddess, with only the Jade Rabbit and Wu Gang for company. Being detached from the happenings of the heavenly realms and mortal realms alike, she could only watch on as the corruption spread. When the time came for her to finally join the war, she chose to fight against Nv Wa, if only to prevent mortals from being killed by corrupted monsters. Unfortunately, she was defeated, and thus latched onto Ruijie to recuperate.

Powers/Abilities:

- Divinity: She's an immortal goddess. Granted, she's a recovering immortal goddess, but an immortal nonetheless.

- Flight: Chang’e has figured out how to master the very flight that had trapped her on the moon. Though she still cannot cross the gap between the Moon and Earth on her own, she does have the ability to float around at will.

- Gravity Manipulation: Chang'e can decrease the sway of gravity in a localized area of her choice with a thought, bringing it down to as low as that of the Moon. She can reverse this effect just as quickly.

Weapon(s): A ji, specifically the double-crescent fangtian ji. The blade is made with a golden yellow metal.

Other: chrys no

Username: SoiledLove

Name: Dragon King 龙王, but he’s going by the somewhat 中二 and really not at all lowkey name of Long Aotian 龙敖天

Sexuality: Pansexual

Appearance: Exactly six feet tall in human form.

Personality: As the representation of the masculine yang energy, Aotian generally has a very confident and haughty front. He’s generally unwilling to show worry or weakness, or back down from a challenge, and his pride means a lot to him. Unfortunately for him, he has a tendency to wear his heart on his sleeve, at least in human form. Aotian can come off as quite arrogant and often is very confident and stubborn in his ways. He looks down on humans and monsters alike in a sort of patronizing way, but doesn’t necessarily dislike them. In fact, he is curious about human life and is very eager to try out new things, such as trying to fit in with humans. He gets irritated when mistaken for one of the Dragon Kings of the Four Seas or the Yellow Dragon.

History: The Dragon King is the zoomorphic representation of yang energy and the king of dragons and creatures of the sea. He has never been a common face on Earth, only appearing occasionally on the orders of the Jade Emperor – sometimes to fight in his stead, sometimes to protect human life, sometimes to carry out other schemes. While he is loyal to the Jade Emperor, he’s uncomfortable with serving the Jade Emperor as he is now, as well as very unsettled. So he’s given himself a sort of… vacation, so to speak, in the human world, trying out the human lifestyle. He wants nothing to do with that war. He’s trying to stay lowkey and blend in with the local highschool students, but… he’s kind of bad at it. For one, he’s been made fun of repeatedly for the name he chose, but at least his looks fit his name.

Powers/Abilities: He is able to transform between a human and dragon form, as well as a cross between the two (human with dragon head). His human form can be considered a representation of masculinity, in that it has changed over the years as the concept of masculinity and masculine beauty changed. Thankfully, such changes generally don’t happen often, and he can keep a stable and constant human form if needed. Apart from that, he has control over rain, though this control is weakened/shared between him and local dragons. He is also able to spit water (like a hose or pump), generate water from nothing, and manipulate existing bodies of water. He also has command over sea creatures, though this is also weakened in the presence of other dragons. In his dragon form, he’s able to fly, his scales provide him with ample protection and his claws and teeth are razor sharp. His power, compared to other powerful dragons that can create massive storms and whatnot, is actually kind of weak. However, being the king of dragons, he has some influence over other dragons and they have a natural fear of him. Of course, he’s immortal and all that jazz.

Weapon(s): Claws, teeth and water

Other: lol wut i have to say ggg you succ?

There yah go

Hello, I know very little if anything about Chinese mythology, but I wouldn't mind learning a bit through RP. Is there room here for a total new guy?