RealWilliamShakespeare

On-site Hatchery

I'm not really understanding the idea that this on-site hatchery would be easier because you can just toss them in and not worry about them? Just because the views scale so a dragon won't get *sick* doesn't mean they will get *enough* views to hatch/grow. You'd still have to check on them to make sure they were actually *getting* enough views, I've seen eggs die on nearly-abandoned hatcheries that simply don't have enough traffic to grow a dragon. Unless TJ's idea to scale views includes making sure the dragon gets *enough* views to actually grow.... In which case that doesn't really seem like playing the game at all. Just toss them and come back two weeks later to adults.

It's usually safe to wait two days and then shove them in hatcheries and ignore them, except for viewbombing.

I’m pretty sure an onsite hatchery would be popular enough that there would be plenty of users to give views, if not too many. And honestly, I don’t do much but grab eggs and throw them into hatcheries. I don’t really breed, I don’t really have time to hunt for specific eggs, and I’m not interested in trying to get zombies or neglecteds. It might be a lazy play style that doesn’t really seem like playing but it’s what I do. It’s easy. I’ve been playing this game for nearly 10 years without quitting, I think just the fact that I can still find time to dedicate to it if it’s minimal is a decent enough feat.

And I do wait, but the risk of forgetting is really high. I’ve come back 5-6 days later after getting eggs because I have to wait to put them in. An onsite hatchery would give me peace of mind that I won’t forget eggs that I’ve grabbed.

There would be benefit to mobile players, too. There are a lot more steps to getting to a hatchery on a phone that on a browser.

3 hours ago, Sextonator said:

I’m pretty sure an onsite hatchery would be popular enough that there would be plenty of users to give views, if not too many. And honestly, I don’t do much but grab eggs and throw them into hatcheries. I don’t really breed, I don’t really have time to hunt for specific eggs, and I’m not interested in trying to get zombies or neglecteds. It might be a lazy play style that doesn’t really seem like playing but it’s what I do. It’s easy. I’ve been playing this game for nearly 10 years without quitting, I think just the fact that I can still find time to dedicate to it if it’s minimal is a decent enough feat.

And I do wait, but the risk of forgetting is really high. I’ve come back 5-6 days later after getting eggs because I have to wait to put them in. An onsite hatchery would give me peace of mind that I won’t forget eggs that I’ve grabbed.

There would be benefit to mobile players, too. There are a lot more steps to getting to a hatchery on a phone that on a browser.

I hope you are least running viewers in the background.  hatcheries don't work if people just throw the eggs in and forget them. 

I'm not understanding the reasoning behind scaling the views in one hatchery.  what exactly would that accomplish?

Scaling views would keep newer from getting too many views too soon. It’s something beneficial.

I give views when I put eggs in but generally I’m not at the computer much so I don’t get a chance. But I feel like I tend to have more connection issues giving view than not. If it’s smoother through an on site hatchery, I wouldn’t mind giving them.

@osmarks I find it inconvenient. Hence the wanting an on site hatchery.

So... what people who want eggs to hatch at 4 days are suggesting is... you guys want to play the game conveniently without any off-site posting necessary despite that being the only way DC gets advertising? That one hatchery have all the features you might possibly want and then some when it's made by the sole admin of a game that already has trouble keeping up with updates?

Edited by Shadowdrake

7 hours ago, Sextonator said:

Yup. There have been plenty of times over the years when I've been busy or traveling that I've had eggs die of neglect, just because I know I can't throw them in hatcheries for a few days, and by the time it's fairly safe sickness-wise I was away or caught up in things that kept me offline until it was too late. I'm fine with views being scaled so they don't hatch until the last day if it means they're less likely to die from either over- or underexposure.

9 hours ago, Shadowdrake said:

So... what people who want eggs to hatch at 4 days are suggesting is... you guys want to play the game conveniently without any off-site posting necessary despite that being the only way DC gets advertising? That one hatchery have all the features you might possibly want and then some when it's made by the sole admin of a game that already has trouble keeping up with updates?

I agree with what I think is your point !

7 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Yup. There have been plenty of times over the years when I've been busy or traveling that I've had eggs die of neglect, just because I know I can't throw them in hatcheries for a few days, and by the time it's fairly safe sickness-wise I was away or caught up in things that kept me offline until it was too late. I'm fine with views being scaled so they don't hatch until the last day if it means they're less likely to die from either over- or underexposure.

One word (depending on your spelling.)

Scrollsitters.

Or even (as I do) ask your friends to keep an eye.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

You're requiring people to trust other people there, either online or offline. That's not everyone's cup of tea.

I would see this hatchery as a safety net, with the "scaled to not hatch before 6 days have passed" feature applied. Good for new players to get into the groove of how hatcheries work, and good for players with little time at hands who still would like to collect the pretty sprites (while potentially seeing/clicking ads on the site or just purchasing the ads-free experience).

Everyone else would still use other options for hatching their stuff.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

One word (depending on your spelling.)

Scrollsitters.

Except that the one suggestion before the house to change the way fansites work and force them to use log-ins would destroy the scrollsitters. 

An on site hatchery would help to generate interest. Who knows how many people have passed up dc because there’s not an easier way for someone to hatch eggs. I don’t really have social platforms I can use to hatch eggs, I rely on hatcheries. Other people do too, but new users who don’t check out the forums wouldn’t know this. Having an onsite one could be that one thing that creates a user that stays, even if they have to wait 6 days for their eggs to hatch. They could still use the hatchery in conjunction with a more social platform. They would just have a fail safe if anything happened suddenly, or they just couldn’t generate the views necessary.

I just want some conveinece with a shorter hatch time, but if it’s a 6 day or nothing then I can at least have a fail safe if I forget to add my eggs to an outside hatchery.

I only ever use, and have only ever used hatcheries to hatch my eggs: I love the fact that I can just pop them in there and not have to interact do any more effort to get them to hatch (unlike posting on forums or click threads, which can be very tedious and slow at times)

And I have lost eggs due to sickness and neglect while I'm on holiday or busy and I have no time to hide them or forgot add them to hatcheries after waiting for them to reach the 5d mark.

A DC hatchery would be really nice as it would be a safe, carefree way of insuring our eggs don't die of sickness or neglect with the scaling feature added, and it will greatly help new players.

I would also love the fact that DC would become more self-contained.

1 hour ago, Sextonator said:

An on site hatchery would help to generate interest. Who knows how many people have passed up dc because there’s not an easier way for someone to hatch eggs. I don’t really have social platforms I can use to hatch eggs, I rely on hatcheries. Other people do too, but new users who don’t check out the forums wouldn’t know this. Having an onsite one could be that one thing that creates a user that stays, even if they have to wait 6 days for their eggs to hatch. They could still use the hatchery in conjunction with a more social platform. They would just have a fail safe if anything happened suddenly, or they just couldn’t generate the views necessary.

I just want some conveinece with a shorter hatch time, but if it’s a 6 day or nothing then I can at least have a fail safe if I forget to add my eggs to an outside hatchery.

(bolding mine)

Actually, when you sign up for DC (and if you simply go to 'introduction' under 'help') it does give a nice detailed explanation of how to raise your dragons, including options of social media, forums, and hatcheries. Has links and everything. You don't need to be a forum member to know how to raise your dragons. 

I honestly think that an on-site hatchery 'scaling' views so eggs can't hatch for days longer would be really really disappointing for 'veteran' users who don't need that 'safety net' but would love the convenience of an on-site hatchery. I think not allowing eggs to hatch when they normally can just because you use the on-site hatchery seems like some sort of punishment and will probably keep a lot of people away from it. However, as long as an on-site hatchery is an *option* and *not* the only hatchery available as some people have posted wanting, then I guess it doesn't really matter because we can just keep using the other sites. 

Basically what @HeatherMarie said. I've been playing years and I don't need extra coddling when it comes to growing things, but I would definitely click what's in the hatchery if it existed. 

If this can only be implemented with the 6 day hatch time, then I'm meh and hope that it can be used as a supplement to other hatcheries and is not the only option to raise dragons.

I am a player who throws her dragons in hatcheries and lets them do what they're gonna do, but I also check the site daily (if not weekly). I don't click ads and yes, I would like my dragons to hatch at 4 days, so I can raise more. I shouldn't have to change how I play just so there can be a possibility of an on-site hatchery.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely click/give views to an on-site hatchery as much as possible... I constantly have 2-3 hatcheries refreshing in the background, what's one more? lol Actually, for the people who get bored when they are locked or don't find much to do in-between releases, an on-site hatchery could possibly give them something extra to do. 

Having a self sufficient pet site isn’t a bad thing, and I prefered a shorter hatch time through an onsite hatchery simply because a 6 day is kind of much for most users, but it’s still nice. And even if it’s only a 6 day, it can still be used, it can get eggs started on views and once it’s old enough users can use a faster hatch site.

I will never not love the idea of an on site hatchery.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:54 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Oh yeah, I'd definitely click/give views to an on-site hatchery as much as possible... I constantly have 2-3 hatcheries refreshing in the background, what's one more? lol Actually, for the people who get bored when they are locked or don't find much to do in-between releases, an on-site hatchery could possibly give them something extra to do. 

I agree with this, and I think it'd be a really interesting way to incorporate viewing other people's creatures and scrolls on the site. I always found it a bit weird that you basically have to go off-site to view people's stuff a lot of the time, so I'd enjoy nosing through the hatchery checking out what people have! Doing that off-site always felt a bit empty to me.

This is still relevant, yes? I’m still for this.

Although, a question, @TJ09 In the case of an ap with eggs less than a day, I was using off site hatcheries to hatch eggs quickly and throw them back, would something like that be feasible with an onsite hatchery?

10 hours ago, Sextonator said:

This is still relevant, yes? I’m still for this.

Although, a question, @TJ09 In the case of an ap with eggs less than a day, I was using off site hatcheries to hatch eggs quickly and throw them back, would something like that be feasible with an onsite hatchery?

If you mean based on my proposed "rate-limiting?" There's no formulas or anything more than a thing I proposed as a "what if," so it could be whatever. But I imagine for "only gives enough views to hatch after six days" to work for any egg that isn't brand new, it'd have to apply the scaling based on the time left.

Though it's also possible to ensure that the system is zero-sum and you have to make sure you give views to get anything out of it. That's a separate area for debate, I guess.

So then if scaled for days then it sounds like it could work, but possibly not as fast? Hmm but that would be fine, I think. As long as it’s fast enough to rotate eggs to hatch them it’s fine.

@TJ09 I’d like to know what you think, do you want people to have to give views to get them? Personally I wouldn’t be for the idea, unless it was a weekly goal that could be feasibly knocked out in a day/a few days, for those people who are too busy/can’t manage to visit daily.

Could also do “give x views get x ingame currency goals. Little games that help give users incentive to view dragons.