deleted_account

In-game block system - master sollution to many problems (even future ones)

2 hours ago, Trenzalore said:

They decline after 3-5 hours and reoffer the same egg. Multiple users have done this to me, the spamming usually lasts a day or two. Once it went on for like 9 days until I accepted a good offer. Edit, the time it was a 9 day spamming session was when I got my very first 2g prize egg from someone, and was trying to swap it.

Ugh.  Definitely sounds like you're being targeted.  Have you notified a mod?

I wholly support this.

Out of curiosity, what's the logic behind supporting a temp block but not a permanent block? Every site you can block someone on has a way to unblock that person. If you're so concerned with just wanting someone to stop offering the same random egg, then why not just block them and unblock after your trade is over with?

If someone's a habitually bad offerer then I'm likely to want to bar them from my trades entirely. Some of us don't have the best memory to remember scroll names.

Personally, I wouldn't care if a blocked user could see my dragons or not- I'd just prefer them to not be able to see my trades, and get a "this trade does not exist" message if they managed to get a URL. I'd also love to have an "ignore" button that let me remove certain users trades from the trading hub, perhaps just the one trade or all of the user's trades.

I support the block feature. Although I don't see needing it myself, any game that kids play need to have some kind of an 'ignore user' function, like 'Ignore this user'. Or if things really nasty, a 'hide my scroll from this user'. Many older users seem to feel the same way - they just don't want to deal with a certain other player. 

On the trading page, it could be a simple, anonymous 'block trades from this user'. (I don't program and don't know how much extra complexity it would add behind scenes if a 'block all trades not matching this exact egg/hatchling' feature was added. It's not functional for people seeking certain lineages, but for many users it would be an awesome improvement).

A lot of the time I get offered something I would never have thought of asking for and things get exciting. I wouldn't like to see that stop happening. So please no to 

a 'block all trades not matching this exact egg/hatchling' feature

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

A lot of the time I get offered something I would never have thought of asking for and things get exciting. I wouldn't like to see that stop happening. So please no to 

Well, as long as it's up to you whether you checkmark that feature or not, I don't see an issue.

2 hours ago, Paintra said:

Personally, I wouldn't care if a blocked user could see my dragons or not- I'd just prefer them to not be able to see my trades, and get a "this trade does not exist" message if they managed to get a URL. I'd also love to have an "ignore" button that let me remove certain users trades from the trading hub, perhaps just the one trade or all of the user's trades.

Not allowing blocked users to even see your trades has one very good effect: They won't viewbomb your trade in retaliation - either to force a trade ASAP, or kill your trade or make your egg hatch early/hatchling grow up early. Just saying.

15 hours ago, olympe said:

Well, as long as it's up to you whether you checkmark that feature or not, I don't see an issue.

If TJ is prepared to make it optional. I seem to recall options coming up in another thread and his saying something along the lines of he wasn't prepared to set up loads and loads of options all over the place. If it's not able to be optional please can we NOT HAVE IT.

Well, that's the one thing that absolutely needs to be optional. How else are you supposed  to match descriptions like "messy for freezing" or "surprise me"???

What exactly are you suggesting here, then ? I don't get it (seriously - not being argumentative) - I thought the idea was the opportunity to block offers you didn't want to see. As in only see offers that don't exactly match what you asked for - which would be tricky to match at the best of times.

What do you mean by "match descriptions" ?

Well, in order to block offers you don't want to see, we need a system to determine (eg tell the site) which offers we do not want to see. At the very least, it could be a drop-down with all kinds of eggs *and* hatchlings (S1, S2 male and female) where you have to change a checkmark to an X so you don't see these kinds of offers. If you don't do it, you can see all offers. Because you have to actively *tell* the site which offers to block.

However, the site cannot block offers that aren't "messy" because the site has no concept of "messy". The site also doesn't have concepts for EG, spiral, stairstep, checker, SA and the like.

Personally, I probably wouldn't use this feature if it was implemented, as it would be a pain in the lower back to use, but to each their own.

Ah. Yes indeed - it would be a nightmare. I can't see that kind of thing working - ever. A temporary block - or a block on the same item being offered on a trade more than once - might help - but again - I wouldn't use them. I'm fine with ignoring them. And there are three players I won't offer on any more, either - they just keep people hanging for DAYS  - even when you offer exactly what they ask for. But in my experience there are very few players who are a problem, so it's no huge issue just ignoring them all by myself !

I think, just my opinion, that we wouldn't get more than 'block user' or 'block that specific offer from that specific user' if we got any sort of blocking ability at all. Getting into blocking *types* of offers would just get too complicated too fast. I'm not sure how useful it would actually be to even attempt blocking *types* of offers, maybe blocking specific breeds could be possible but no way to block specifics like messy, or low-gen, or stair/spiral/etc, or inbred... Just doesn't sound too helpful to me. But maybe it would be enough for others, who knows.

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I think, just my opinion, that we wouldn't get more than 'block user' or 'block that specific offer from that specific user' if we got any sort of blocking ability at all. Getting into blocking *types* of offers would just get too complicated too fast. I'm not sure how useful it would actually be to even attempt blocking *types* of offers, maybe blocking specific breeds could be possible but no way to block specifics like messy, or low-gen, or stair/spiral/etc, or inbred... Just doesn't sound too helpful to me. But maybe it would be enough for others, who knows.

This. There is no way to block all but exact wants. Any two users might have the same things but write it completely different.

A simple block to prevent a specific user from seeing your trades solves every problem listed in this thread. If you change your mind, unblock them.

I think the original idea of the blocked user not be able to see the trading is enough. Along with not being able to contact the blocked user etc. I don’t know how it jumped from blocking players to blocking certain trading offers, but I completely support the fact that we need a blocking system.

On a game where half the scrolls are either hidden or not showing up on dragons (which is annoying as hell) and you have no inbed messaging, the only way to comunicate being creating yet another account on forum (again annoying as hell) a bloking sistem is like shooting a dead cat...unnecesary and weird.

DC feels like you're surrounded by gosts anyway, why add block?!

I haven’t personally had any issues when trading, but a block feature would definitely be appreciated in the event I came across a troll. 

6 hours ago, camelia2 said:

On a game where half the scrolls are either hidden or not showing up on dragons (which is annoying as hell) and you have no inbed messaging, the only way to comunicate being creating yet another account on forum (again annoying as hell) a bloking sistem is like shooting a dead cat...unnecesary and weird.

As I think it was mentioned in other threads, I think it’s not allowed to have a messaging on the DC site itself. I don’t see how creating an account on forums would be annoying? Nor do I see people’s scrolls being hidden are annoying, I mean, it’s their choice and they can do whatever they would like with their own scroll. There are many reasons for blocking someone (as the OP already stated) be it irl or in game (spamming or anything that annoys you). Could you please explain how do you think it is unnecessary and weird? 

I don’t believe that DC feels like you’re surrounded by ghosts, yes, there’s like no interaction except for trading on DC, but forums is definitely a whole new world. 

8 hours ago, camelia2 said:

There's a reason for that - the day you start getting spammed with breeding requests for every prize on your scroll (I have 315, and that request was a shock) you'll begin to realise why you don't want your scroll name to be the same as your forum name. If mine weren't different, I wouldn't show my name on my dragons either. There's no huge problem having a forum account for these things, except for u/13s, whose parents may not allow it, and I can't see why a hidden scroll is a problem when trading. It is now well known that we cannot have an in cave messaging system - and we don't really need one.

But I can see why people want to block people who are spamming them with unhelpful offers. I would prefer a temporary blocking system rather than a perma-block, though. Say a block on a specific trade. You get a silly offer, you reject; the same player sends another so you set a block and they cannot offer on that trade again. That's enough, for me.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I just really hope TJ makes a blocking system for completely blocking [indicated] users. If you want unwanted trade offers blocked, that's an entirely different topic that should be taken to it's own thread elsewhere, it's off topic and more complicated.

I have run into multiple trolls and simply wish there was a way to make them disappear entirely for the individuals that they choose to pester. Further, as a victim of abuse whose abuser plays various online games and makes youtube content, being able to block users allows people like me to play without worry or stress. Criminals and pedos play online games too, and DC is a family friendly site.

As has been said in other comments above, blocking a specific user should:

1) Block them from seeing any trade or transfer of yours. Any link found on the internet should lead to a "this trade/dragon does not exist."

2) (a) Block them from viewing your scroll at all and any growing dragon on it. (b) If they have a dragon bred from your stock and they have been blocked, they may still view the adult dragon through the lineage; doing so doesn't allow for viewbombing because adults don't collect views once matured. (c) If you picked up a dragon from the AP that was bred from the stock of the person you have blocked, they may still see the offspring code on the parent dragon's page but when clicked, "this dragon does not exist." (d) Whether the dragons are only invisible when they are growing to block viewbombing or whether all dragons - frozen, growing, and adult - are blocked from view, is up to TJ. This one is iffy and could be argued either way. I personally wouldn't mind only growing drags being invisible, but if that specificity makes the coding harder than if all drags were blocked from view, then I prefer making it easier for TJ and letting that be what blocking does.

Edited by Trenzalore

42 minutes ago, Trenzalore said:

doing so doesn't allow for viewbombing because adults don't collect views once matured. (c) If you picked up a dragon from the AP that was bred from the stock of the person you have blocked, they may still see the offspring code on the parent dragon's page but when clicked, "this dragon does not exist." (d) Whether the dragons are only invisible when they are growing to block viewbombing

Even if you block a user, it wouldn’t stop them from giving growing things views. You don’t need an account to give views and if one’s intent is to viewbomb, they can log out and spam, or use bots.

2 hours ago, Trenzalore said:

1) Block them from seeing any trade or transfer of yours. Any link found on the internet should lead to a "this trade/dragon does not exist."

2) (a) Block them from viewing your scroll at all and any growing dragon on it. (b) If they have a dragon bred from your stock and they have been blocked, they may still view the adult dragon through the lineage; doing so doesn't allow for viewbombing because adults don't collect views once matured. (c) If you picked up a dragon from the AP that was bred from the stock of the person you have blocked, they may still see the offspring code on the parent dragon's page but when clicked, "this dragon does not exist." (d) Whether the dragons are only invisible when they are growing to block viewbombing or whether all dragons - frozen, growing, and adult - are blocked from view, is up to TJ. This one is iffy and could be argued either way. I personally wouldn't mind only growing drags being invisible, but if that specificity makes the coding harder than if all drags were blocked from view, then I prefer making it easier for TJ and letting that be what blocking does.

I think something that extreme wouldn't be reasonable to expect from TJ. 

11 hours ago, Rememberdrgns said:

Even if you block a user, it wouldn’t stop them from giving growing things views. You don’t need an account to give views and if one’s intent is to viewbomb, they can log out and spam, or use bots.

This this this. While I understand the different reasons behind wanting to block a user, there simply is no possible way to stop a person from viewing/viewbombing your dragons completely. If *that* is what is wanted, blocking isn't going to address it at all. People can see scrolls and individual dragons when not logged on, and anyone can add dragons to hatcheries if they know the scroll name or codes. To my knowledge, the best option in such an extreme case would be to completely hide your scroll, hide your name from dragon view pages, and maybe keep all growing things fogged when you aren't online. That would help a lot more than simply blocking a specific user. 

This is why the block system is optional. If you are that afraid of retaliation, then do what you want. While it would be great if offsite hatcheries required a login to submit scrolls, viewbombing isn't the reason behind blocking someone.

Reasons I would personally block someone is if for example, I had a 2g gold and they spammed my trade with a ton of junk from the AP, or if they send the same egg repeatedly like this last troll did to me. I had someone send me the same egg repeatedly after getting declined; when I chose to ignore their offer and let it sit, they canceled their offer and reoffered multiple times so it would go in my notifications. That is spam and that person is a troll, that's what the block function is to prevent.

Another issue is if, like me, a user is the victim of a personal crime like assault, or something else personal, and their abuser also plays this game (thank god mine does not as far as I know).

Ignoring the viewbombing issue, these are, again, excellent reasons to allow us to block users. If you are so afraid of retaliation, just don't use the feature. Don't let your fear bar others from the opportunity to end trolling, spam, etc.

Edited by Trenzalore
Wrong quote D: and spelling errors

12 hours ago, Trenzalore said:

Reasons I would personally block someone is if for example, I had a 2g gold and they spammed my trade with a ton of junk from the AP, or if they send the same egg repeatedly like this last troll did to me. I had someone send me the same egg repeatedly after getting declined; when I chose to ignore their offer and let it sit, they canceled their offer and reoffered multiple times so it would go in my notifications. That is spam and that person is a troll, that's what the block function is to prevent.

That, I agree, is annoying and should probably be dealt with in some way. That's happened to me multiple times. I personally feel it would be more helpful to be able to block more specifically in that case, like a 'don't allow this user to offer on this specific trade again', or maybe some sort of cooldown or limit to how often a user can offer on the same trade. But maybe that's just me. 

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

That, I agree, is annoying and should probably be dealt with in some way. That's happened to me multiple times. I personally feel it would be more helpful to be able to block more specifically in that case, like a 'don't allow this user to offer on this specific trade again', or maybe some sort of cooldown or limit to how often a user can offer on the same trade. But maybe that's just me. 

I don't like the idea of a temporary or specific block like that at all. I have had the same person come back and spam on different trades before, even though it's not often I get the same person spamming. I do not care if they would someday offer me a cb gold or silver or holiday, I never want that person to be able to see my stuff or act on any trade or transfer I post ever again. I have zero tolerance for trolls, and having it be blocked per each trade makes it tedious. What, am I supposed to enter a list of users to block every time I post a trade or one-way transfer? That means that I would need to maintain the list, which is a lot of effort on my part and kinda stressful. Again, that puts the onus on the victim rather than the troll. Makes it a lot harder and a lot less attractive as a feature if I have to enter who to block every time I want a trade. The point is to block and never have to think or stress about it ever again. Block and forget. These people need to disappear from gameplay entirely for the people who block them, not just the one time. The only reason I could see to be worried about this is retaliation, or fear of being blocked myself, of which I'm not worried about either one. And if the person using the block feature wants the block to be temporary..... just unblock that person when you're ready. It's not hard, and that's a lot less effort than reblocking the person for every trade like you are implying. Further, nothing you mentioned would help someone if they knew their abuser was playing this game too, I'm thinking from my own standpoint and saying we need to be able to totally block someone for more reasons than just spam. No one other than me has acknowledged that abusers are on here too (they are everywhere), and it's kind of sad that no one seems to care about that point.

Anyways.. not only do I want to bar that person from offering on my trade, I want to make sure they never benefit from any free drag link I post, ever. I want to be able to not feed the troll, so to speak.

Edited by Trenzalore
Extra at the end