deleted_account

In-game block system - master sollution to many problems (even future ones)

coming with a simple yet effective sollution to most of issues the userbase keeps pointing at when argumenting against certain suggestions (e.g. in-game message system, true scrollname change - with no history access, etc.). The general tendencies on the forum show how much an in-game block feature is needed, aside to the forum's.

How should it work?

simple. You want to block someone from messaging or making deals with you? you block them... if the website provides  you with the feature. Time for DC to introduce a blocking feature as well.
- prevent blocked users from offering on or claiming teleports of blocking user (make them not show up to them - at all in the Trading Hub, and appear as already claimed if they click the link from another source e.g. from the forum or Discord) - blocked people don't know that they are blocked. 

- prevent any other potential form of communication/interaction between such users.  

- make it impossible for event interactions/exchangess/connections between users with a block inbetween (like e.g sending valentine cards even if its random)

- to block, type the scrollname (if scrollname change is introduced, typing ANY scrollname the user had ever used anytime should block the entire ACCOUNT, no need to reveal old or to know new scrollnames for this to work, works on DA and on Steam which now allows to nuke all past names from view!);

- ideally give us a small textfield where we can note down our reasons for blocking (ofc our entire block area would be visible only to us ourselves)

- to unblock, blocking user needs to remove the blocked scroll from the block list

-ofc this would only prevent DIRECT scroll to scroll interactions (like e.g. trading, events like "Flowers & Dragons" etc.), it does NOT have influence if there's another user or the AP (and the like) between the two users (e.g. blocking user breeds and APs an egg, blocked CAN take the egg from the AP; same if blocking gives their egg to another user and then the another user trades with blocked) - otherwise it would be game-breaking.

- ideally make 2 blocking options: A permament (you have to manually unblock if you want to - good for serious cases - people can have very severe matters between each other, including traumas! -  that we don't think we'll forgive anytime later or when offenses reoccur repeatedly and we've had enough) and B temporary, ideally with a callendar to set a custom block expire date (the person gets unblocked after that time without further action from you - good for small offenses when we just want a short break from the person or when we believe the offender may "grow up" in e.g. a year)

With an in-game block, forget about any need to remember or list users and to check against your unofficial blacklist every single time (also, mind you, it's against the forum rules to have public blacklists)! And no longer fear that a blocked user claims your one-way transfer from Departures Thread (or any other place), do not feel restricted and don't be forced to alter your behaviour just for the sake of a few users who were nasty to you.

Regain your freedom and peace of mind!

Because forum accounts require everyone to enter their scroll names, the block can be possibly coded to transfer from scroll block to forum block and from forum block to scroll block without revealing the scroll or forum name of the blocked person to the one who blocks. The name we see on our blocklist would be the one we initiated the block from.

Will be likely needed sooner or later for the newly implemented in-game trading.  

Every website needs a block system. People's reasons behind wishing to block someone from any kind of interaction, trading included, can vary a lot and just because a bunch of users insists on seeing no reasons to block anyone doesn't mean the feature is not needed for the community as a whole. There are certain people speaking for everyone in this forum, and it's the same bunch of people every single time. Most of players don't use the forum and don't speak for themselves. You can't assume they wouldn't have use of an in-game blocking system. Better have it than not. 

Blocking choosen users can save loads of time, and save loads of stress and nerves, including mental health (e.g. a situation when seeing an offer from a certain user may bring back traumatic memories related to the given user, people vary and their conflicts can escalate to ANY level and have a wide range of impact, depression and anxiety issues included, people can suffer mental and social disorders as well, and be unable to cope with certain situations - this community is not small enough anymore to allow users no ability to block certain people out). Give your users means to defend themselves and their wellbeing, a simble block feature can change lives of those who choose to use it when they need, from simple timesaving to maintaining mental health in the more extreme cases, which mustn't be ignored forever. 

Of course nothing will stop scammers from making new accounts and avoiding whatever you have against them. But this is still the most that can be done to protect YOU as efficiently as possible.

(I left the forum, OP won't be updated anymore)

Edited by Meh

I personally haven't felt the need for this, BUT... I wouldn't be oppose it either for those that feel it necessary.

THAT said. I would add that as for scammers creating new CAVE accounts (scrolls) That would be multiscrolling, I believe AND they can be punished for that by itself if they are caught.

This seems like a good idea, if any of the features you mention (in-game messaging, in-game trading/gifting place) ever actually happen. So, yes, I fully support this. 

@JavaTigress: Well, as you said, if they're caught. And that is a very big if.

2 minutes ago, olympe said:

This seems like a good idea, if any of the features you mention (in-game messaging, in-game trading/gifting place) ever actually happen. So, yes, I fully support this. 

@JavaTigress: Well, as you said, if they're caught. And that is a very big if.

*Nods* Of course, it is an if.

My ONLY point was that there WAS something to be done about it. And as the OP said, I don't KNOW what FURTHER precautions could be enforced without it becoming game breaking.

This has to the potential to be a very helpful suggestion. You have my support.

However, and I say this as someone who has been scammed multiple times, I don't think we should balance the whole system on tracking down multiscrollers. As olympe said above, they hide themselves well. And how do we differentiate between a scammer and a family member using the same IP address? Or an old, abandoned account? Lots of drama could start there. Those are issues for TJ alone to solve, unfortunately.

I also would like to suggest a way for the person blocking to remain anonymous. Showing a user a "you cannot accept this egg/hatchling because X has blocked you" page could result in viewbombing or other sorts of "revenge." 

44 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I also would like to suggest a way for the person blocking to remain anonymous. Showing a user a "you cannot accept this egg/hatchling because X has blocked you" page could result in viewbombing or other sorts of "revenge." 

Very much this. I'm indifferent to the suggestion, but I have always hated the idea of scroll to scroll communication, so it isn't something I'd probably get into,.

Eh, I have to say I'm not too fond of this suggestion, but mostly just because as the game is right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Right now in the game there is *no* way to directly communicate with a user, none at all. So to me I don't understand a need to block someone if they can't actually communicate with you anyways?

5 hours ago, MhKhu said:

- prevent blocked users from offering on or claiming teleports of blocking user

- prevent any other potential form of communication/interaction between such users.  

- make it impossible for event interactions/exchangess/connections between users with a block inbetween (like e.g sending valentine cards even if its random)

- Teleports need outside help to work, you must post them on a forum or elsewhere in order for it to work, it's not just a random free-for-all. Which means that there are already plenty of ways for you to control who your teleport goes to, or not allow certain people to take it. If someone offers on it and you don't like or trust that person, just decline the offer. Of course there's the argument that posting one-way free-for-all transfers could be helped with this suggestion, but I'm honestly not a fan of that argument because it's made very clear on the site that one-ways *are* free-for-alls, and if you post that link publicly you have no say in who gets it or what they do with it, nor should you. 

- To me it seems sort of.... cart-before-horse... to want a block system to prevent communication that isn't yet possible? I mean, if something like an in-cave messaging system is ever implemented, then yeah I'd want some sort of block feature or some way to stop people from communicating with me.... But since direct communication simply isn't possible in the game right now (and has never been) I don't really see that as a good argument. 

- The event interactions I can sort of understand, even though most events actually have little or no direct interactions. I'm not convinced that a site-wide permanent blocking feature is the answer to limited event issues, though.

I find DC's lack of interaction... weird. So many hatchery/pet collection/etc type games have on site communication/forums and altogether feel more like a community because of it. However, it seems a lot of DC's user base doesn't want to interact.... which also kind of puts us in a pickle.

We have to rely on outside things for all our transactions. Instead of just having on-site things, we have to rely on other people besides TJ to code the tools we need. This can be disastrous (cough EATW), and is a real hassle.

Personally, I think that DC would be a lot more appealing if it was more user friendly / more open and connected, and would see a growth in users.... but would lose many of its dedicated players that make those tools and really support the site. DC is locked in a catch-22, but if more user interactions are planned, I really hope we can have block/ignore. 

At this time, I don't see this as needed - most events are random, most people don't even know what other people are out there (their scroll names and such) unless they're on the forum under that same username (which most aren't!). So, in the future where DC becomes a bit more community-like, I would support this. In a future where DC doesn't get any updates to user interaction/ease of community, this is unnecessary and a waste of time.

10 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

I find DC's lack of interaction... weird. So many hatchery/pet collection/etc type games have on site communication/forums and altogether feel more like a community because of it. However, it seems a lot of DC's user base doesn't want to interact.... which also kind of puts us in a pickle.

This is partly because it is such a nice quiet game that you can totally play at your own pace, without needing to find someone else to interact with. I know that's why this is the only on-line game I play.

I personally like having no true interaction within the game itself. Means I can play the game with a relaxed (sometimes) manner, without interactions with others aside from other sources like the forum.

The only interaction the game really needs is on-site teleport support, and that's less true interaction and more just letting people use the game's systems without going offsite.

Ultimately I feel like there's not enough interaction on the site, now or in the future, to really support having a block system.

Given the way DC is now, I do not see this as necessary. 

The only form of in-game messaging present has been with special events like sending Valentines.  If such things are turning into a hassle, they can be reported.  I would also like to see a system of being able to delete ones that you no longer want.

If you are offering a free for all teleported egg, it should be open to anyone.  You can refuse offers on 2-way teleports, so a block feature is not necessary.

However, if DC does involve to include more in-game user interaction, then I see where this could be more useful.

Seeing as you can already control who can or can't get your teleports (depending on who you send them to/where you post them) and that is the only in-game "interaction", I really don't see how this accomplishes anything....

On 3/31/2018 at 1:54 PM, HeatherMarie said:

Eh, I have to say I'm not too fond of this suggestion, but mostly just because as the game is right now it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Right now in the game there is *no* way to directly communicate with a user, none at all. So to me I don't understand a need to block someone if they can't actually communicate with you anyways?

- Teleports need outside help to work, you must post them on a forum or elsewhere in order for it to work, it's not just a random free-for-all. Which means that there are already plenty of ways for you to control who your teleport goes to, or not allow certain people to take it. If someone offers on it and you don't like or trust that person, just decline the offer. Of course there's the argument that posting one-way free-for-all transfers could be helped with this suggestion, but I'm honestly not a fan of that argument because it's made very clear on the site that one-ways *are* free-for-alls, and if you post that link publicly you have no say in who gets it or what they do with it, nor should you. 

- To me it seems sort of.... cart-before-horse... to want a block system to prevent communication that isn't yet possible? I mean, if something like an in-cave messaging system is ever implemented, then yeah I'd want some sort of block feature or some way to stop people from communicating with me.... But since direct communication simply isn't possible in the game right now (and has never been) I don't really see that as a good argument. 

- The event interactions I can sort of understand, even though most events actually have little or no direct interactions. I'm not convinced that a site-wide permanent blocking feature is the answer to limited event issues, though.

This. If we ever get more in cave communication this would make sense, but right now it seems a waste of effort. 

As the site is currently designed. I don't believe such a system is necessary. There aren't really all that many cases where the site requires you to do things where you'd encounter people you might want to block. For example, trading, though not as supported on-site as it could be, gives you full control over who sees your trade by way of controlling to gets the link to the trade. Events are one of few cases with random/sender targeting, but those generally provide the ability to report/hide unwanted content, and people sending bad things have their stuff removed across the whole event.

NOW it's necessary (the new in-game trading system) 👍

Edited by VixenDra

2 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

Since there is no direct messaging or direct scroll-to-scroll interaction with the new trading system, I personally still don't think this is entirely necessary. TJ mentioned in the Trading Hub Feedback thread that a report feature will be coming soon. With a way to report inappropriate content in public trades, I don't really see a need for an in-game blocking feature. If anyone is concerned about their scroll name being public and receiving unwanted attention as a result, then I think the best course of action is to simply not post public trades. 

34 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

Since there is no direct messaging or direct scroll-to-scroll interaction with the new trading system, I personally still don't think this is entirely necessary. TJ mentioned in the Trading Hub Feedback thread that a report feature will be coming soon. With a way to report inappropriate content in public trades, I don't really see a need for an in-game blocking feature. If anyone is concerned about their scroll name being public and receiving unwanted attention as a result, then I think the best course of action is to simply not post public trades. 

Disagreed.

If it was not necessary, people would NOT insist on seing scrollname change history:/ Their reasons for plus mine against username history visibility are exactly the reasons FOR  having a block feature instead. With a block feature, ALL the reason for people's unreasonable demands for being able to see the scrollname change history would be gone. ALL. The block system is the only way to make everyone happy and secure at the same time. I'll be able to stop hiding my scroll and to trade again and to hatch eggs the normal way(instead of constant few-seconds-long unhiding for the sake of being able to enter my eggs into hatcheries, just to hide again), and others will not need to ever have access to past scrollnames because block function would do all the job they can ever need done for which they claim they 'need' history. Have the scrollname change without history implemented at that point and it's all perfect for everyone (even if vast forum majority of everyone deliberately refuses to understand that yet).

And YAY thanks for the 'advice', very 'helpful' to tell people not to use the new feature rather than find(or just suppert here) a way to start making it usable to them... As If I could trade anyway in any other way than risking an exchange of one-ways via forum.
You will find, sooner or later, users getting trade offers from people they don't want to trade with at all (blacklisted? spamming offers all over again? viewbombing in revenge for getting offers rejected? etc.), wishing they could just finally block the offnders from making offers ever again. Why should the attacked people be the forever victims with no means to help themselves?

Anyways, I'm convinced we NEED a block feature. both for the existent feature and for potential future ones. It's one of the few things in life I made the final judgement on (welcome to the INTP, unable to make decisions and judgements for seing both ends of the stick and hardly ever going firm from the middleground to one of the far ends. Sorry, I've met the far end in THIS matter, good luck pulling me to the opposite).

Edited by VixenDra

2 hours ago, VixenDra said:

No, it isn't.

2 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

Exactly this.

1 hour ago, VixenDra said:

Disagreed.

If it was not necessary, people would NOT insist on seing scrollname change history:/ Their reasons for plus mine against username history visibility are exactly the reasons FOR  having a block feature instead. With a block feature, ALL the reason for people's unreasonable demands for being able to see the scrollname change history would be gone. ALL. The block system is the only way to make everyone happy and secure at the same time. I'll be able to stop hiding my scroll and to trade again and to hatch eggs the normal way(instead of constant few-seconds-long unhiding for the sake of being able to enter my eggs into hatcheries, just to hide again), and others will not need to ever have access to past scrollnames because block function would do all the job they can ever need done for which they claim they 'need' history. Have the scrollname change without history implemented at that point and it's all perfect for everyone (even if vast forum majority of everyone deliberately refuses to understand that yet).

And YAY thanks for the 'advice', very 'helpful' to tell people not to use the new feature rather than find(or just suppert here) a way to start making it usable to them... As If I could trade anyway in any other way than risking an exchange of one-ways via forum.
You will find, sooner or later, users getting trade offers from people they don't want to trade with at all (blacklisted? spamming offers all over again? viewbombing in revenge for getting offers rejected? etc.), wishing they could just finally block the offnders from making offers ever again. Why should the attacked people be the forever victims with no means to help themselves?

Anyways, I'm convinced we NEED a block feature. both for the existent feature and for potential future ones. It's one of the few things in life I made the final judgement on (welcome to the INTP, unable to make decisions and judgements for seing both ends of the stick and hardly ever going firm from the middleground to one of the far ends. Sorry, I've met the far end in THIS matter, good luck pulling me to the opposite).

So you get offers from people you don't want to trade with (and if you can't see their name history, that is immediately a problem - the need to see it is paramount.). So - don't accept those offers.

If you don't like someone offering then just ignore and decline and/or accept a different offer. And, as there is no communication with the Trading Hub, I still think that a block system is unneeded.

Edited by Whirlaway

Ye, and always keep remebering and checking. Guys, it's for YOU. I couldn't care less whom I'm getting sth I need from:rolleyes: but many of you, forum users, do (and have this unreasonable demand of seing my to-be-past scrollname EXACTLY for the reasons the block feature is needed instead). But sure you "don't need a block feature". If you so much don't need a block feature, then you absolutely don't need to see my to-be-past scrollname which wouldn't do even half for you of what the block would do. But I can speak to a wall as well.

(anyone: please DON'T ping me again, thanks)

Edited by VixenDra

I.... Do not understand at all how a block feature has anything to do with wanting to see username history? If you haven't yet blocked someone (there could be many reasons, including the blocking feature doesn't actually exist yet....) and they change their username, what good is a blocking feature going to do after that? If you don't know that User A used to be User B (which you won't, without naming history) then why would you block User A? 

Yes, the new Trading Hub makes a tad more interaction on-site, but there is still no *direct* communication. It's still not possible to message people or beg people for eggs or anything like that, so why do we need to block anyone when they can't actually communicate with us? If it's just to stop them from offering on Trades (which is currently the *only* interaction these new features bring) my earlier points stand. You control who sees your Teleport and it's always been that way. If you don't want someone to even be able to offer on your Teleport, don't make it public. If you think you can stand seeing the *offer* (you don't have to accept!) then make it public and simply decline any offer from that person. 

Also, changing your scrollname is not possible right now (and we actually don't know if it ever will be....) so again, cart before horse. I see no reason to implement a blocking feature based on username changes when username changes aren't even a thing.

1 hour ago, VixenDra said:

Ye, and always keep remebering and checking. Guys, it's for YOU. I couldn't care less whom I'm getting sth I need from:rolleyes: but many of you, forum users, do (and have this unreasonable demand of seing my to-be-past scrollname EXACTLY for the reasons the block feature is needed instead). But sure you "don't need a block feature". If you so much don't need a block feature, then you absolutely don't need to see my to-be-past scrollname which wouldn't do even half for you of what the block would do. But I can speak to a wall as well.

(anyone: please DON'T ping me again, thanks)

(By the way - why should everyone trying to have a discussion have to avoid quoting you. So I am doing so partly to point out that if you don't want pings, you can turn them off in your settings.  Having to treat your posts differently  is unnecessary work for those of us who want to carry on discussing them. Thank you for doing that - please.)

This isn't "for us". It's something you want because you hate your scroll name - and something a lot of us don't feel is needed. But there's no reason to suppose we will ever be able to change scroll names. So as HeatherMarie says - it is very much a cart before the horse thing. I don't want to see your scroll name particularly. But if you are trading I do want to know who you are. AND who you were. And I might want to know who you were just because i DO want to trade with you - so blocking off that history would be very unhelpful (I spent several annoying hours just the other day trying to find a forum member who had changed her name...) We need the history for many reasons - not just for personal blacklists.

I don't think block future is needed, as well as username history. All this blocking/controlling/spying is a bad thing in my opinion.

Why would you want to block someone anyway? Personally I never even though about it (to block someone).

As for scroll name history, if it even implemented someday - just limit how often one can use it (lets say once a year). This way no one will be able to abuse it.

Why I would block someone (except I don't - I avoid people from memory) - perhaps because they had already scammed me once. Or because they harass me with PMs asking me (no, ORDERING me) to breed for them (THAT person I did block on forum.) And if they had changed their name, I would want to know about it. I would also want to know if - for instance - the person I was looking for the other day on forum as I had an egg for them, but they had changed their name - they might have a trade up and I'd want to offer on their rather than someone else's... That kind of thing. It's hardly spying. It's like keeping the phone numbers of your friends in your phone - if they suddenly get a new phone, you can't text them.