Fuzzbucket

"Number of growing dragons" change, please

I know it is a little little thing.

But - I bit an egg yesterday, and it died. Fine, not unexpected. And yes, I know can't use the space till 24 hours are up. And my trophy page shows that I have 8 eggs and a total of 24 things.

But in my scroll stats - on the scroll page, it is not counting the dead egg and reads 23 growing dragons. If I hadn't been paying attention (not unusual....) I might accidentally have bred and autoed... Could the scroll total please be made to agree with the stats on the trophy page ?

Ditto. Even if you don't want to put the dead egg among the "growing dragons", add it somehow, just to avoid confusion.

I never use the scroll stats to know if I'm locked for breeding or not, since it doesn't break growing things into eggs vs hatchlings and that's important information to avoid surprise auto-abandons. And dead eggs are not "growing things". I do see your point, though, and am not really opposed to this idea.

I know what you mean - but I tend to hide my eggshells.... so it is easy to forget they are still there... !

And clearly  they ARE counted as growing for the first 24 hours, after all ! But whatever - the number of "growing things" should be usable to tell you how many spaces you have over all.

Maybe it would be more helpful to have a banner/line  that either reads "scroll open", "scroll-locked" or "egg-locked"?

I definitely agree that things should be consistent... I can understand not wanting to count dead things under a 'growing dragons' label, but since the other limitations indicator, the trophy page, apparently *does* count the dead egg, it doesn't make much sense for the trophy page and growing dragons number to disagree.

I don't really see them as disagreeing. They are just giving information about two different things, imo.

6 hours ago, purplehaze said:

I don't really see them as disagreeing. They are just giving information about two different things, imo.

I can sort of see that.... Except not really. The 'growing limits' text is a link and that link takes you to the 'egg limits' page, where it says:

It is important to note that dead eggs and hatchlings will still count toward any limits for up to 24 hours following their death.

If the growing dragons text was simply text, I could buy that it's simply showing information about a different thing, but since it links directly to the egg limits page, that says the above, it really does seem like they should say the same thing.

Is there a way to change the wording of 'growing dragons' slightly then so that it makes more sense to include dead eggshells while they still count towards the limit? I can't really think of an alternative to suggest right now, but I do think it would be a bit odd to list a dead dragon as a 'growing' one. Just because it counts towards the limit, doesn't mean it's growing. :P I get what you're saying @HeatherMarie about it linking to the limits page, which potentially sends an inconsistent message, but I think calling dead eggshells 'growing' is still sending an inconsistent message. 

I can understand where you're coming from @Fuzzbucket about it being potentially confusing, but given that it doesn't differentiate between eggs and hatchlings anyway, it would still be dangerous for someone to use a 20/24, for example, and assume it is safe to breed because they could be egglocked. 

Can anyone think of a way to reword 'growing dragons' that could encompass dead eggshells? I just think we'd be swapping one inconsistency for another, since dead things can't actually 'grow'. 

I would like to make a note that not all dead eggs and hatchlings will take up a slot because that is currently implied right now, and if we're clarifying on dead things and their number limits, it might help to change that in the limits page itself.

Can't think of how to reword Growing Dragons into something including recently killed things though, considering they have to be non-frozen eggs and hatchlings to count. Maybe something more like Currently Raising? But no, we're not raising dead things either. I'm sure there's an in-universe reason for it, like mourning or whatever, but it's not easy to include "These dragons you're babysitting and also that one you killed and probably feel bad for" in a few words.

1 hour ago, Shadowdrake said:

These dragons you're babysitting and also that one you killed and probably feel bad for

Lol, that'd be hilarious to have.  

Perhaps something like "alive in the past 24h"?  That sounds weird though.

4 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

Is there a way to change the wording of 'growing dragons' slightly then so that it makes more sense to include dead eggshells while they still count towards the limit? I can't really think of an alternative to suggest right now, but I do think it would be a bit odd to list a dead dragon as a 'growing' one. Just because it counts towards the limit, doesn't mean it's growing. :P I get what you're saying @HeatherMarie about it linking to the limits page, which potentially sends an inconsistent message, but I think calling dead eggshells 'growing' is still sending an inconsistent message. 

I can understand where you're coming from @Fuzzbucket about it being potentially confusing, but given that it doesn't differentiate between eggs and hatchlings anyway, it would still be dangerous for someone to use a 20/24, for example, and assume it is safe to breed because they could be egglocked. 

Can anyone think of a way to reword 'growing dragons' that could encompass dead eggshells? I just think we'd be swapping one inconsistency for another, since dead things can't actually 'grow'. 

The two numbers should agree, no matter what.

I can't think of a way to reword it, either, but it still doesn't make sense to me to call a dead egg a "growing dragon".

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The two numbers should agree, no matter what.

The point of view I was trying to get at is that the numbers don't actually refer to the same thing, so I don't think it's really a matter of them necessarily having to agree no matter what. The number of 'growing dragons' isn't a reflection of your scroll limits - it's a stat like the others in that section. That's what I was trying to say, though I may not have worded it as well as I could have! :lol: 

Would it save confusion if the link to the scroll limits page was removed and the 'growing dragons' was just text, like the other stats? I agree with HeatherMarie that the link makes it seem a bit inconsistent and sends a potentially confusing message. If the link was removed, would this still be a problem? Since the 'growing things' would just be a statistic like the 'unique breeds' and wouldn't need to reflect the dead eggshells because it wouldn't have a direct connection to scroll limits. 

Edited by StormWizard212

@StormWizard212 That is what I was trying to say earlier, too. The two are not really the same at all.  I kind of like the idea of removing that link.

No matter what your growing dragon number shows (unless it is 24) it doesn't give you any information about whether you are scroll locked or not, so I don't see why it would make you more likely to breed while locked if it doesn't show dead eggs. :unsure:

I'm fine with removing the link if people think it's falsely implying a connection between two things that aren't actually the same. The idea was that having a consistent entry point to the page would be helpful (since trophies aren't necessarily consistent; not everyone has one), but it's not a super-important thing. It's still accessible from the help page, as well as the error message shown when you try to grab an egg while full.

I'm less of a fan of including dead eggs in the scroll stats, because the intent is to show you the number of growing things you have, not show the exact number that applies to your limits.

@TJ09 What is your opinion on the help page itself implying that all dead eggs and hatchlings will count towards limits, not just killed ones?

It is important to note that dead eggs and hatchlings will still count toward any limits for up to 24 hours following their death.

I find it misleading and have seen many people believe that sickness and timeout deaths count towards the limit. If you're willing to break the inconsistency between scroll stats and limit stats for being misleading, would you fix the implication in the wording of the help page as well? and maybe add a note about killed growing things counting towards limits onto the kill section of the action help page?