Fuzzbucket

Make ignore include messages

I hope this is possible. At present when you ignore someone - even if you carefully remember to add messages to the list of things to ignore, you get the message in your box with that little thing "view message". More annoyingly if - as is only sensible - you are set to get email notifications of messages, the email you get includes the full test of the message from that ignored user. This is not how it was before the software upgrade; please can it be put back to ignore people properly ? Quite often the reason for ignoring someone is because they send offensive or harassing messages. While I know these can be reported to mods, mods have a lot to do, and it is a lot easier, and just as effective, to simply ignore that person - as was possible in the past, and as is not possible any more.

In the past, too, if you tried to message someone who was ignoring you, you'd get a note "this person is not accepting messages". Not any more. (For the record, this is something a mate of mine and I tested today, not some huge issue at the moment.)

Please, TJ  - make it so.

Yeah, it really surprised me when I saw this in the other thread.... It makes absolutely no sense that you still get messages, and *emailed notifications* of messages, from people you've deliberately ignored. It really makes the ignore feature pretty dang useless imo... I've never had reason to ignore someone, but if I did I can guarantee I would *not* want to still see their messages!

I'll be the third voice of support for this. I look at ignoring someone as a block, and I don't expect to see any content from a blocked user.

Hopefully this is possible with the forum software because it definitely doesn't make sense that 'ignoring' someone doesn't remove all content. Like mentioned above, I consider the ignore feature a blocking feature, and that is what it has been in the past. Definite support for this.

This isn't a setting or capability I can just toggle on the forums. The only option is whether or not a member group can be ignored (e.g. IIRC you can't ignore mods).

It's not much use then, is it. If it won't toggle, if there's anything you can do with your special skills, we'd all be very grateful. Or if you, as a forum owner, could ask  invision to change it ? Otherwise it is a useless function, really,

At least the forum shouldn't send notifications or - at the very least! - contents from ignored users in its e-mails, no matter if it's a private message or a post in a followed thread.

I am gonna toss my spport at this.

I guess I would have assumed that 'IGNORING' someone would automatically include their PMs also, for reasons that have already been stated.

Edited by JavaTigress

Well, since TJ can't fix this due to the forum set-up, I'm not going to bother ranting about my support for it. However, I don't think the ignore settings as they are are entirely useless. I appreciate not being able to see certain posts and signatures.

I actually believe TJ may be able to tweak something... I live in hope.

Bumping to note that the options offered under ignore include messages - but they still come through. I just tested with a friend.

On 3/21/2018 at 6:38 AM, TJ09 said:

This isn't a setting or capability I can just toggle on the forums. The only option is whether or not a member group can be ignored (e.g. IIRC you can't ignore mods).

You can't. Definitely. Even though you could before. If you had a mod on ignore before the update, the forum software auto-'corrects' the setting.

The only thing the ignore function is currently useful for is ignoring certain annoying / seizures-inducing signatures.

And seizure inducing POSTS. (Sigs I do with my ad blocker - I have a shedload of nasty sig images blocked.)

TJ has said it isn't something he can change. It is for him to do that, as the site owner, I think. As it is part of the base software and affects every one of us. And everyone on every invision forum.

I think TJ would need to file that bug report? Him being the host and all ...