FluffyPillow

Visual cues/reminders for BSA use

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Those aren't images, those are unicode symbols, actually.

Don't care what they are - they are irritating and convey nothing that is not right there in the text links XD Why do we need TWO links for each?

What links now? You lost me. The fire and the lightning wouldn't carry any (and would fit the medieval setting, too).

On the encylopaedia page for instance - I loathe the green box at the bottom with a big tick, saying

No more unlocks

You’ve unlocked all of the observations for this breed.

or a shriek mark when you need to view more.

As well as the beige box that shows up on my scroll (not any more ;) )when something is sick. (the warning and the image of the sick thing are quite enough. The box adds/tells you nothing, even if you are not a native English speaker.)

Those boxes are totally out of place in a medieval setting, and are artistically distracting from the look of the page.,

On a dragon's page - the  - what you now tell me are unicode symbols - next to

Actions - Show HTML/BBCode Links - Add to Group

We can click the words; we don't need symbols as well.

I was only talking about what I proposed, which contained three unicode symbols (1 fire and 2 lightning bolts).

You seem to be on a round-about vendetta against things all over the cave though.

Oh when you said unicode links I though you meant the ones by actions and that. Which yes, I do find very annoying, as they are so unnecessary. What shows in your post of suggestions are these:

On eggs: incubated 🔥, influenced, precognized gender (maybe even only one of those two? whichever happened last, I guess)

On S1 hatchlings: influence and/or precognized gender, stunned 🗲or ⚡

On S2 hatchlings: gender, stunned 🗲or ⚡

The flames (incubated) are an image. Please no. The  lightning shows a bolt - harmless, yeah, OK; the others all show as a square broken image type box, so might very well not work for others as well as me...!

That flame is NOT an image. It's part of your selected unicode font. If it was an image, you could right-click it and see image-related actions you could do with it.

Since TJ already uses custom fonts for the site anyway, I'm sure he would come up with a simpler, monochrome fire symbol. My suggestions were just examples, after all. NOTHING I ever came up with made it into the site anyway, so don't worry. I'm only coming up with random ideas.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I thought unicode was all black and white... Just characters.  But if the others are coloured too I have gone off it all again. I'm fine with the ⚡  !

What unicode font are you using - I must try...

OK - NONE of my browsers will display the first one you show for stunned; one shows the incubated in b/w and my main one the incubated in lurid technicolour.

None of that will be a problem with TJ's custom codes :)

I wonder what this page's URL looks like in your browser: http://graphemica.com/🔥

I guess mouse-over tooltips with text info would work as well, but personally, I'm sick of hovering over things in order to see other things. I'd rather see it all at FIRST glance.

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Like this:

6Xzh87a.png

Hmmmmm.... WELL, if things don't show up/work right on your computer I can DEFINITELY understand why you find some of these 'bells and whistles' annoying rather than helpful, @Fuzzbucket

Really ? How SHOULD it look ? Screenie please XD

8 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Really ? How SHOULD it look ? Screenie please XD

ACTUALLY.... unclear because on mine when I clicky it shows a 'broken' box.

:P

What about an options list that lets you choose how the symbols are expressed-- overlay on the egg sprite, hover over for symbol, or tiny monochrome symbol under the "Type" column (beside egg/hatchling/etc)? "None" could also be an option. That way people who don't like the look of one thing but enjoy the function of another can still get the same usefulness out of the suggestion.

(I, personally, am game for any of them)

image.png.72923857f42ffc4832d7f73333620a4d.png

(I think clicking or double-clicking this should show you the large version - note the flame in the URL bar!)

A list of display options is probably the best. Unticked for all by default.

As long as you see the good old gender symbols on your scroll, you know that TJ's font has been loaded and is being displayed. ;) Otherwise, you'd see "f" and "m".

Letter "i" could be displayed as a tiny, unobtrusively black flame (incubated).

Letter "s" could be displayed as the lightning bolt (stunned).

Letters "b" and "g" could be displayed as smaller gender symbols for "boy" and "girl" for being influenced (which is known to not always work).

Precognized things could just show the regular gender symbol right away (no idea why they don't and you always have to check the action log for them).

WELL - I don't care either way about this - but these symbols would have to ONLY show for you on your own scroll; there were several people in another thread who said they don't want others to know what precog showed -when they are trading. I do not at all understand why, but it was said - somewhere...

The growing things filter exists only for your own scroll anyway. :blink:

Yes but not everyone wants it only showing there...

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

WELL - I don't care either way about this - but these symbols would have to ONLY show for you on your own scroll; there were several people in another thread who said they don't want others to know what precog showed -when they are trading. I do not at all understand why, but it was said - somewhere...

That seems.... off? To me?

Like.... plenty of times I have seen the exact opposite where it appeared that people are actively trying to INDICATE what their Precog showed?

NOT saying you are wrong about it having been said.... I just can't QUITE understand what the motivation for keeping it an absolute secret would be?

9 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It would be max. 3 symbols per growing thing anyway, just 1 more than you can see currently on gendered frozen hatchlings.

On eggs: incubated 🔥, influenced, precognized gender (maybe even only one of those two? whichever happened last, I guess)

On S1 hatchlings: influence and/or precognized gender, stunned 🗲or ⚡

On S2 hatchlings: gender, stunned 🗲or ⚡

The OP suggested 4 different ones, not 3. And if this was to happen, I very much doubt that there would only be 3 that people would want. Incubate, Influence, Precog, Stun, Ward, that's 5. If this were to happen I don't understand why only the 3 you mentioned should be shown, imo it'd be much more helpful to see an indicator for Ward then for Incubate or Influence. (Not saying I want all those, no way, just saying I don't understand why it would only be those 3.) 

IF it were to go the hover-over route it would *have* to be on one of the text parts, like the egg/hatchling text that currently has no link and does nothing. I would be very *very* annoyed if I got hover-over text every single time I tried to click an egg or hatchling!

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

The OP suggested 4 different ones, not 3.

You're right, I forgot Ward. I rarely ever use it due to its too short effectivity.

10 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Incubate, Influence, Precog, Stun, Ward, that's 5.

Except that you don't need to see them all at once.

Only hatchlings can be stunned, so it wouldn't show on eggs.

Only eggs can be incubated (for now), so it need not show on hatchlings.

Precog could, as I mentioned before, just show the regular gender symbols that already exist. So far, it has proven to be 100% accurate, so I don't see why one needs to go to the action log for this.

And any influence symbols can disappear as soon as the hatchling has gendered.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

How will the hover over text (if it's done that way) work for mobile users? Hover-over menus and stuff are SUCH a pain on mobile.

2 hours ago, Peachycupcake525 said:

How will the hover over text (if it's done that way) work for mobile users? Hover-over menus and stuff are SUCH a pain on mobile.

Good point.

Honestly, I don't see why having symbols is such an issue? Frozen hatchies have a little unicode symbol next to them, and having a few more really wouldn't detrimentally clog the page. Considering you aren't going to have incubated, warded, influenced, and precogged all of your eggs at all times, it wouldn't be too invasive. Although I personally love the idea of having our sprites sit in little nests, it is clear that not everyone would like that, and that's fair enough, but having symbols, imo, would be so useful. Especially if you have multiple of the same breed growing at one time, remembering which you used which BSA on can be so irritating - having to go in and out of the BSA pages is time-consuming and could easily be resolved by having symbols. Have the options be optional and able to be turned off and on in account settings? Great - then those who don't want to see them don't have to - but for so many of us it would be a welcome addition. I often forget I've done something altogether: I once accidentally traded something I'd influenced, and that was annoying, having to sit through a cool-down that turned out to be useless :') Having symbols near the sprites, whether in the same place as the gender symbols, or somewhere next to the egg sprite, whatever, would be really helpful.