perzephone

Heads-Up Notification for New Egg Drops

I know for many people, the surprise of a new egg drop is the best thing ever. Many people enjoy surprises, and that's good. For the year that we got a new egg drop on the first weekend of every month, I understand that for many players, it got a little stale and took the surprise out of the game for them.

There are some of us, though, that would like a little time to plan, prepare or finish things up before new stuff hits us. For example, breeders (like myself), who may have eggs that have specific lineages or are for a specific mate, or people who may have just filled their scrolls with new CB eggs, or people trying to help friends out by hatching an egg or two for them, that kind of thing.

So what I'd like to suggest is maybe a News post about 4 - 7 days before an impending egg drop. That way, there's still some anticipation and surprise, because we still won't know exactly what time of the month the drop is going to happen until the News notification pops up, but it will also give people some time to clear their scrolls for the new eggs. It would also be a boon to people who are maybe going to be away from their computers or phones during that time-frame so they can enlist assistance.

As much as I do like this idea (if only because I do like prior warning), it is very unlikely to happen. Generally, releases tend to be released from mid to late of almost every month and almost always on Sunday nights. Other than the common trend, what week really depends.

Though I do sometimes wish we could have prior warning but I generally don't catch or breed anything starting on Thursday night when it gets to the middle or latest weekends of the month.

But yeah, this is very unlikely to ever happen.

Edited by Dorchet

I very much doubt this would ever happen. From past experience it very much seems like TJ does not want to commit to any sort of hard scheduled releases, or releases that the userbase knows about in advance. Imo I think he likes to keep the surprise element, but it also may be because of possible backlash if the release didn't end up happening when he said it would for whatever reason. In general, if you've been here long enough, you'll see that 'regular' (ie non-holiday) releases normally happen towards the end of the month, usually on the weekend (most often midnight between Saturday and Sunday). It doesn't *always* happen that way, but it's regular enough that you can plan a little bit and keep one or two slots open the last two weekends of the month for it (or only grab things that you wouldn't mind abandoning for the new release). 

I suspect this is true. We had scheduled releases for a while, but TJ stopped doing it.

I think even news that an egg would drop the next day or something as vague as "within the week" would suffice. Lots of people who play know other people who play, so if one person at least checks they can give them a heads up. It doesn't have to be super precise like AT TWO AM ON 06/01 an egg is dropping so be prepared everyone!

But even just an in-biome alert that's like, "You've been finding scales(/hair/fur/whatever) recently littered around the [Area where eggs will drop] area. They don't seem to be from any dragon you recognize - what could they be?"

I don't think TJ wants us to have a headsup. I think it's that simple.

The eggs usually flood for several days tho? There have been exceptions, but usually if you're totally full you can still get ahold of a few after your stuff hatches. People on the forums are often willing to help people who missed the drop as well.

We have a maximum of 8 egg slots now, if you're desparate for eggs but have a full 8 you're unwilling to drop, that's kinda on you.

13 minutes ago, Kovia said:

The eggs usually flood for several days tho? There have been exceptions, but usually if you're totally full you can still get ahold of a few after your stuff hatches. People on the forums are often willing to help people who missed the drop as well.

We have a maximum of 8 egg slots now, if you're desparate for eggs but have a full 8 you're unwilling to drop, that's kinda on you.

That's not true anymore though. A long time ago new releases used to flood for 24 hours or more, but in the past couple years it's changed a lot. The floods regularly stop withing 8-10 hours now, sometimes even less then that. I usually go to bed about two hours after a new release starts, and by the time I wake up 7-8 hours later regular eggs are mixed in and they are becoming harder to grab. 

I'm not saying I support this idea, but it is definitely not true that they flood for several days anymore.

I've seen drops where after only half a day or so, other eggs start mixing in. //shrug

It's not like the eggs won't drop forever, all the time, it's just that there's something special about participating in the flood. It's one of the nice site events and it can be a shame to miss it, especially because if you do, you're unlikely to get the egg for awhile on your own, as everyone who missed the flood needs some.

21 minutes ago, Kovia said:

If only...

Especially with non-common releases, the floods end way earlier than that. Of course, these eggs are still slightly more common than will become their normal for a couple of weeks, but after that - nope. Which is why it's so important to grab your new eggs as soon as humanly possible. (Okay, so I might be scarred. My first two releases were pumpkins and trios - and I didn't manage to grab a single egg during either. XD)

51 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

That's not true anymore though. A long time ago new releases used to flood for 24 hours or more, but in the past couple years it's changed a lot. The floods regularly stop withing 8-10 hours now, sometimes even less then that. I usually go to bed about two hours after a new release starts, and by the time I wake up 7-8 hours later regular eggs are mixed in and they are becoming harder to grab. 

I'm not saying I support this idea, but it is definitely not true that they flood for several days anymore.

This is true. :( BUT - if we'd all been warned they would dry up even faster. It's not like holidays, where the number out there expands by the number we catch.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

I know everyone plays in different styles, but I'd personally be checking the calendar the later we get in a month without a release and make sure that I don't have too many eggs at one time that I'm not willing to part with. You can, to a degree, plan around the assumption that there might be a release on a particular weekend and make sure you don't lock yourself with 8 eggs that are absolutely vital to your scroll. That's what I do, personally, and I haven't had too much of a problem then discarding things I don't need if there's a sudden drop.

I've also missed a number of drops but haven't had too much trouble catching up later. The main exception to this is drops like xenos which contained lots of different dragons and are a bit rare, but in that case, even being around for the flood wouldn't have helped with my scroll goals all that much. :P 

So while I think it would be handy to know ahead of time if there's going to be a release, I also don't think it's that much of a problem that there isn't. Even with rarer drops, they're still permanent so there's always time to catch up later. Just my opinion! ^_^ 

18 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

I know everyone plays in different styles, but I'd personally be checking the calendar the later we get in a month without a release and make sure that I don't have too many eggs at one time that I'm not willing to part with. You can, to a degree, plan around the assumption that there might be a release on a particular weekend and make sure you don't lock yourself with 8 eggs that are absolutely vital to your scroll. That's what I do, personally, and I haven't had too much of a problem then discarding things I don't need if there's a sudden drop.

My problem is weekends like this. It's Silver Luna time, and it's Saturday. So if there's a drop tonight I've got to choose between scrambling for new eggs, or breeding my S'Lunars. My next window for S'Lunars isn't until April - over another mid-month weekend. So if I kind of had an advance notice towards the beginning of the week, I'd know to just forget about my S'Lunars. Or the Celestials, that can only breed once a month. If more time-dependent/cyclical dragons are added it would potentially compound this problem.

And for all the people who are like 'just avoid doing anything every weekend if you're anticipating a drop'... doesn't that sound a little unfun? Especially for kids in school who might be playing, where the only time they really get to do anything with their dragons is on the weekends?

1 hour ago, perzephone said:

My problem is weekends like this. It's Silver Luna time, and it's Saturday. So if there's a drop tonight I've got to choose between scrambling for new eggs, or breeding my S'Lunars. My next window for S'Lunars isn't until April - over another mid-month weekend. So if I kind of had an advance notice towards the beginning of the week, I'd know to just forget about my S'Lunars. Or the Celestials, that can only breed once a month. If more time-dependent/cyclical dragons are added it would potentially compound this problem.

And for all the people who are like 'just avoid doing anything every weekend if you're anticipating a drop'... doesn't that sound a little unfun? Especially for kids in school who might be playing, where the only time they really get to do anything with their dragons is on the weekends?

It's most likely that there will not be a release this weekend since it's towards the beginning of the month. If there is, you can always wait a couple hours and see how they are dropping and decide if you want to delay your lunars a little in order to get the new ones if they look like they might become uncommon or hard to get later. And no one is saying you need to 'avoid doing anything every weekend', just understand the pattern (usually midnight between Sat and Sun, usually the last two weekends of the month) and decide where your priorities are. It's really not difficult to make sure you have one or two open slots for a couple hours each month, if the drop doesn't happen at midnight go ahead and fill those slots. And again, I think it's about priorities. Lunars are relatively easy to get/breed, so if you decide that getting the new release right away is more important, it's not like you are completely sacrificing whatever you are doing with the Lunars... You are just delaying it a little. If you feel your Lunars are more important then getting a new release right away, then do that.

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This is true. :( BUT - if we'd all been warned they would dry up even faster. It's not like holidays, where the number out there expands by the number we catch.

This is a very good point that I hadn't considered. The new releases usually flood for a very short amount of time compared to how it used to be, if everyone knew ahead of time and planned to be there right away and catch them right away, that would most likely shorten the flood even more and make it that much harder for people who come a couple hours too late.

9 hours ago, perzephone said:

You can always drop your S'Lunars, if there's a release and you cannot bear to miss out. I've done that with my B'Lunars. GIves you the exact same effect as not having bred them in the first place (and I don't know about you - but my B'Lunars are checkered with Celestials, so... XD ) They ARE easy to breed. I had a lot of lineage stuff of scroll this weekend. I knew I'd have to make tough decisions if there were a release. Things happen. I have also played the do nothing on a weekend thing. It's not that unfun. It's all on your own priorities. Only you know what is most important to you - and you get to make that decision.

Personally, at least for me, I will drop almost anything for a new release. You never know what rarity the new breed(s) will be and we pretty much know the rarity of breeds already produced. I'd rather have to wait a couple weeks to breed a picky breed like the Lunar Heralds than miss out on a possible rarer release.

But that's just me,  haha.

Part of me is like "Yes for the love of my sanity give us a warning!" but then the other part of me is like, "Yeah no this ain't gonna happen like ever so deal with it" lol :lol: Besides, sometimes it is kinda nice to log on, thinking it's a normal day and BAM surprise! New eggs! :nyan:

I get stressed enough when I know holiday breeding is about to start and all that follows about getting eggs. I really can live without that stress for every new release. XD Even at the cost of having to choose to drop some eggs to make room for the new ones.

So maybe instead of scheduling/alerting just change it to where a new breed has to flood for at least 24 hours? Unless there's something I'm overlooking that should allow for most active users to notice.

That only works for holidays. (RATIOS !) Which is why I am a little glad we don't get a warning any more.

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

That only works for holidays. (RATIOS !) Which is why I am a little glad we don't get a warning any more.

Why would it only work for holidays if we had drops that lasted 24 hours in the past?

Speaking for myself (and from what I gather things won't be changing) I actually liked the regular releases. It made planning things much simpler. A heads up about (roughly) when the eggs will be dropping seems like a good compromise between surprise and enough info to plan your breedings in advance

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I'm not sure this is accurate. Just take breeding into account, where it takes a year or more for breeding ratios of old common x new common to start evening out.

Alternately, I'm sure TJ could do something to not count the eggs from the first 24 hours of flooding towards the (drop) ratios - but for some reason, I doubt he'd be willing to do that.

39 minutes ago, Chaos Rider said:

Why would it only work for holidays if we had drops that lasted 24 hours in the past?

I don't ever recall a drop which had no old stuff intermingled for a whole 24 hours....

17 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think TJ wants us to have a headsup. I think it's that simple.

I know this is off-topic and I'm not trying to attack you personally - I'm just using your post as an example, but these kinds of posts in Suggestions really bother me. It seems dismissive and shuts down discussion. Why try to assume what TJ wants/doesn't want? (That and comments of 'well, it's never going to happen'). I see it in so many topics from so many people, and it's very disheartening. It's like, if all these people know what TJ wants/doesn't want, and all these people know things are never going to happen, what's the point of having a Suggestions thread at all? (***Me banging head on my desk***)

I'm glad you did put your own opinion in here in later posts, btw, and thank you for that :)

I said that because when we asked to have the scheduled drops back, he said something rather to that effect. That we didn't need it - or something. I tried to find it, but I can't. (No problem though - "attack" me any which way you like ! That's what threads are for ! mwPqZ43PnSeRC0iTKPQJ.gif)

I have to say - too - that when they were scheduled, there was a huge issue with time zones; those of us not on cave time for the midnight (it usually was) kickoff  lost out on the floods completely. When they aren't, there are enough unprepared people not dropping what they have, and others not hearing about it for a few hours that it kind of gets around that.

Oh there WAS a thread:

Two actually:

Not that TJ posted in either one.

From which I note that I don't feel the same was as I did then :lol: I would like them scheduled in a way - but not a heads up.  That way we take the responsibility for remembering.

I wish this happened because then I could plan instead of leaving my scroll mostly open, but TJ did say that he ended planned releases because they became predictable. I'm pretty sure there won't be a release this weekend (unless it comes at 1:00pm cave time).