aphliithuania

Anyone else with history dragons?

My ongoing project since I joined DC a monthish ago was to get dragons representing all the Apollo astronauts. I currently not only have accomplished that, but I've also expanded to include all the astronauts who flew in the Gemini and Mercury programs. (There's a lot of overlap, it wasn't too difficult.)

I'm wondering if anyone else has any dragons named after historical figures? I mean, there has to be a few; a few of the astronauts I named mine after were taken, forcing me to resort to naming them without spaces (like GusGrissom and NeilArmstrong). If you've got any history dragons, I'd love to take a peek :D

How far back counts as "history"? Need they be really old/dead? ;)

I have a few real-life people names, none part of any projects, though. Chiang Kai-shek, Francisco Franco, Fritz Haber, Jacob Bernoulli, Vesto Slipher, Madame Ching, Jikonsahseh, Milunka Savic...

I do have two astronauts: Yuri Gagarin and Claude Nicollier.

I'm more likely to name dragons after characters from books and movies, or people I know in real life (when I name them 'normal' names at all). However I do have two vampire dragons named after Countess Erzsebet Bathory, I have a bit of a fascination with her. 

I had a chinese naming spree when gemshards came out and managed to get Danashiri

Like Shaniqua I tend to name the few dragons I have after prominent figures in Chinese history and mythology. For example my Golden Drake is named HuangdiYellowEmperor, my Nebula is ShennongTai (the sovereign of argriculture) and my two Xenowyrms are named after two prominent figures of the Han Dynasty (easily one of the most famous periods in no small part due to its popularity with the media as a turbulent time period) of Cao Mengde and Liu Xuande (Xuande and Mengde were the courtesy names of Liu Bei and Cao Cao since once a man turned 20 and was given his courtesy name it was actually rude to call a man by his given name if you were younger or lower in station compared to him, a practice that is still done in China, though to a FAR lesser degree as of modern times)

@HeatherMariehaha one of my vampires is called "Countess Erzsebeth" :lol: The other ones are Queen Akasha(fictional vampire), Count Tepes (doesn't get much more obvious I guess) and Gilles de Laval after Gilles de Montmorency-Laval, Baron de Rais, who was a confessed serial killer of children... gruesome, but does fit the dragon I think. 

Other than those I have Prince Albert(named after the actual Prince Consort, not the piercing!), Flaming Bucephalus(who says horses aren't historical figures?), Toshikazu & Kawasaki (after Toshikazu Kawasaki, who is a very prominent in the world of origami), Amfelda(after wife of a Norwegian king, though in that time it wasn't exactly Norway just yet since we're talking 542-642 AD :lol:), Dutchess Catherine & Duke William of Cambridge, as well as Dutchess of Sussex(I might have to change that one if Meghan Markle gets that title though :dry:), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I, Rick Genest(Zombie boy, might not be a historical figure just yet :D), Annie Chapman(one of Jack the Ripper's victims), Vladius Dracula... 

I also have some references to historical figures, such as Farriner's Nightmare(named after Thomas Farriner, whose bakery started the Great Fire of London), Inferno Alighieri, Steve Died in October(Steve Jobs that is of course), Bram von Dracula, that sort of thing

But yeah, same as many others I go for fictional/mythological characters, places, etc.

Don’t know if it counts but a lot of my dragons are named after ships and planes from World War II (with full number, etc like this girl). 

I've got a dragon named after King Charles II of Spain; it's a name-holder until my Ridgewings actually cooperate and let me proceed in an EG inbred lineage I'm trying to get to gen 12.

I named all 23 of my Dino's after my 3 kids and 20 grandkids...

I did name most of my Zyumorphs after the people killed in the bombing deaths in Great Britain.  

I usually go for abstract or fancy names, but occasionally use historical names as well. For instance, my Two-headed Lindwyrms are named after French castles and my male Striped-river Dragons after Chinese mathematicians. :)

Not sure if it counts but all my Caligenes have Caligula in their names.