olympe

Group => Tag/Symbol (formerly Suffix)

1 hour ago, Fabula said:

The problem with this is, people could then abuse that option by spelling out nasty words by putting their dragons in groups with said capital letters. As far as I know, no bad words can be spelled out by using stars, triangles and squares. They CAN be spelled out with letters and numbers though.

Using letters would be, imho, a bad idea for that reason. Besides, if we have say 10 different shapes, and then 10 different colors to choose from for each shape. That's 100 groups, right? Do we need more then that? Really? Is there someone on DC with 100 groups? Because I wanna see this person's scroll. XD lol

Well, as long as you're the only person who can see your own tags, feel free to spell out all the nasty words you can find. :P  It's not as if anybody else would ever know. (Unless you posted screenshots somewhere...)

1 hour ago, JavaTigress said:

ACTUALLY, if said tag showed up in lists of prospective breeding partners, that would be grand also!

It would be helpful if I wanted to be sure the dragon I was breeding was CB, for example.

I have some that are CB and some that are lineaged, you see... and some that are devoted to certain projects.... so a way of marking them somehow that would show in a breeding list would be a DEFINITE help, IMO.

Absolutely, totally forgot about that. I guess it is time to edit the OP and title... All I need is a mock-up of a screenshot. 

@Fabula I uh... Have almost 300 groups........ just 16 short of 300 and I have several more groups I still want to make so um............ oops

Edit: Whoops make that 15 short, I forgot about counting my highlighted group.

But yes I would definitely love to have the symbols option! A warning for re-using a symbol + color would be great, I just wouldn't want it to lock you out of re-using it since, if this were implemented, I have 233 different groups that I would like to give all the exact same symbol, as well as some other group pairs that I would like to have share symbols as well.

The "Ungrouped" dragon filter is nice and all but with my dragons being sorted into at least 4 groups each, sometimes I miss a group or it doesn't actually save, and then I move the dragon to their appropriate spot on my overall scroll thinking that they're now properly sorted. Having the symbols available would help me see right away that it didn't actually work or that they're missing one of their core groups.

Edited by StarSea

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Well, as long as you're the only person who can see your own tags, feel free to spell out all the nasty words you can find. :P  It's not as if anybody else would ever know. (Unless you posted screenshots somewhere...)

And there is absolutely people that would take a screenshot and begin posting offensive things, now isn't there? I stand by letters being a bad idea. ;)

@StarSea Seriously! XD I looked at your scroll but couldn't see these nearly 300 groups. *pouts* I wanna see this! lol

Anyway, the 10 shapes/colors was just an example. Could be more shapes, more colors, etc. I have no idea what DC can support in this case so I just gave what I thought could be reasonable for the site to support. ^.^

Well, as far as shape support, DC can (and does) have its own custom font(s) and a very very large number of symbols can be made by creating a custom font. Of course, that can take a lot of work depending on how many symbols to make (if TJ decides to do this, of course), but there is also Font Awesome which already has a custom font available with a rather wide range of symbols.

Give a group the TJ symbol
image.png.afcc2f4a5704d485afac59767d8aea04.png

I meant quantity of shapes/colors, not necessarily what symbols the site can support, my bad. lol (Also totally give a group the TJ symbol! :D)

6 minutes ago, Fabula said:

I meant quantity of shapes/colors, not necessarily what symbols the site can support, my bad. lol (Also totally give a group the TJ symbol! :D)

TJ symbol for a Thuweds group, maybe?

35 minutes ago, Fabula said:

And there is absolutely people that would take a screenshot and begin posting offensive things, now isn't there? I stand by letters being a bad idea. ;)

Well, the very same people could name a dragon something offensive, take a screenshot and rename said dragon. Or they could take a screenshot, then write over it. Or do a number other offensive things. Allowing letters for private tags won't break the cave, if you ask me.

Personally, I'd like to be able to use letters as they'd be an amazing help with memorizing. (First letter of the group name? For PB projects, first letter of the breed used, in roughly the same color as the sprites...)

@olympe Well. I'm not sure you can count taking a screenshot then editing it afterward considering it's not something that happened in-cave and may not even be done by the scroll owner :P

Anyway. Ultimately it's up to TJ just what would be used, not us, if he even ever decided to include something like this. So I'll leave it in the hands of the actual site owner and what he would deem best to use to mark what dragons are in what groups. B) If he thinks letters would be best, good on him. Symbols, great. None of the above, no skin off my back as I won't use this at all! :lol: lol

Oh but here's another though. What about the Greek alphabet? :D Or!
Futhark! (The runes in the runic alphabet) :nyan: lol I know only I would actually be excited over the runic alphabet. XD

How many groups do people expect to actually highlight here? If each dragon is only going to show one or two groups anyways, why not just show the group's name (if the group is set to be shown).

As far as symbols vs letters go, I'm not super concerned about spelling out "bad" things, though, since this would almost definitely be a self-only thing (having a blue star show up is inherently meaningless to anyone but the person who set it). Symbols is definitely more likely though, since the more abstract nature makes it clearer that they're arbitrary labels.

4 hours ago, StarSea said:

Well, as far as shape support, DC can (and does) have its own custom font(s) and a very very large number of symbols can be made by creating a custom font. Of course, that can take a lot of work depending on how many symbols to make (if TJ decides to do this, of course), but there is also Font Awesome which already has a custom font available with a rather wide range of symbols.

Give a group the TJ symbol
image.png.afcc2f4a5704d485afac59767d8aea04.png

Two out of three fonts I've made have the symbol in it...

Apparently people expect no less than 300! :lol:

sparta.gif
(I couldn't help myself sorry not sorry at all)

I would think showing the groups name(s) would be rather clunky/cramped? I have group names that are very close to the character-limit, I can't really see a way that something like

Descendants of Gallivar/Mystere

could easily fit on the regular dragon-list page without it being very cluttered. Even if only 1 or 2 group names were shown, I doubt that'd be the best way to do this. 

If I were to actually use this, some way of visibly marking which dragons are in which groups, I'd probably use it for 4 specific groups: 'Descendants of Gallivar/Mystere', 'Descendants of Ambergold', 'Lovely Inbreds', and 'Beautiful Messies'. Those are the groups I have that I could see a benefit in being able to see at-a-glance if a dragon is in that group or not. I definitely can't see any way to fit all those group names on the dragon-list page.

Edited by HeatherMarie

Actually listing the names would not work, precisely due to the long names needed for some groups. A symbol of some sort+color would be best.

Could use some of the easter basket or trick-or-treat bucket items, if the artists were okay with that. I mean, we *have* plenty of symbols and small sprites in DC already. Probably enough to make 300+, but I'd rather not use the animated ones :lol:

Personally, I think the Easter eggs and Trick or Treat items are too clunky. However... how about shrinking all regular eggs to pygmy-sized eggs and use those for symbols - among other things? (Just an idea, really. And very unique to DC, so no copyright issues.)

Plus, of course, icons (stars, circles, rings...) with customizable colors.

If we came up with a good range of symbols and shapes, and gave users the options of a color wheel/swatch/spectrum, that would effectively create a huge variety for users to choose from if they happen to have a lot of different groups. 

Edit: Just realized olympe said as much right above me. Oops. I think that would be simple and effective enough, though, than most anything else.

Edited by hazeh

@hazeh: I'll just count this as support. ;) 

I would love to have feature like this.

Now, to be able to find mates for dragons on breeding page (or scroll) quickly I need to put some kind of information (like type of lineage or number of generation) in dragons' names. Unfortunately, this usually looks bad in the lineage view to me (and in the dragon name too). Even though I've tried several ideas to make it look better, I would prefer to get rid of this additional part of name completely, but I'm not able to do this now, as I would be totally lost in my scroll and finding a proper mate would take me ages.

I would like symbols to be visible on my scroll when I'm logged and on breeding page. I don't mind them being visible for people visiting my scroll, but as some groups are private and no one besides owner of scroll will know their actual meaning, it seems to be unnecessary.

The other thing is that I would probably forgot the meaning of symbols (as I'm notoriously forgetting the purpose of groups I've made not so long ago), especially for groups I rarely use. So some kind of easily accessible list of groups with symbols would be great. Or they can be displayed on the site with list of all groups, or the name of group appearing when hovering mouse over the symbol, maybe?.

This will definitely improve groups for me, as for now I see them useful almost exclusively for finished projects (and I don't actually have finished projects), where all the dragons are put in one group at once and nothing is changing. It's still easy to forget to put certain dragon to certain group when I'm breeding dragons with various lineages at the same time or put dragon to wrong group and then never find it out (I still don't know which dragon from my CB group isn't CB, but at least I know it is there). This won't change much after implementing symbols, but at least I will be more motivated to keep the most important groups up to date, as I will see actual advantages in it (like distinguishing dragon on breeding page without the need to give it name with number and surname).

Edited by Verse