olympe

Group => Tag/Symbol (formerly Suffix)

I just started working on a breeding project and put the dragons I used for this into a group. However, when looking at my scroll (without group filter), I have no way of telling which dragons already are in the group and which aren't. So I was looking for a simple solution. Kind of.

What if we could assing naming suffixes to a group? If we assign the suffix "of X" to the group "breeding project X", all dragons in the group would then display the suffix behind their name on the scroll, but not (necessarily) in their lineage view or on their page. The suffix should not count towards letter limits for the names themselves so it's possible to add several suffixes to a single dragon.

If no suffix is assigned to a group, there's nothing to add to the dragons' names, so this is completely optional.

Also, something purplehaze came up with:

On 4.3.2018 at 12:30 AM, purplehaze said:

I would definitely not want this to show on the view page or lineage link. And would much prefer that it not show on my scroll as others see it, but only on my (logged-in) view of my scroll.

I'm not sure I would use this, but it could be helpful in some cases

Come to think of it, I'd like to be able to choose to either add nothing, add a suffix, add a prefix or add both. 

Alternately, the idea of little optional tags with little symbols has come up. And, honestly, it would make sense to put small icons on our scrolls and on our breeding page (and maybe even on our dragon's page?) so we can assign leetle symbols to each group. These symbols are only visible if we look at ourown scroll while logged in. If we assign a symbol to a group, each dragon in that group gets tagged with that symbol. If we do not assign a symbol, nothing happens. (Which is what makes the whole thing optional.)

These little symbols could be about as big as the writing on our scrolls, or maybe up to twice as big. Since dragon sprites, even for all non-pygmy hatchlings, are way bigger than that, there's enough space for a whole lot of those symbols. Let me show you what it might look like (really quick and awful mock-up).

mock-up_zpstlnh4xcx.png

My (final) idea for this is to choose your symbol (for each group) from a number of shapes (heart, circle, triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon... 4-point star, 5-point star..., capital letters and numbers to help us remember what is what). Colors should be customizable (within reason) to give us more options. Come to think of it would more than suffice to give us 64 different colors to choose from, if that helps at all with coding/bandwidth/whatever.

Ideally, we'd also get a warning if we're trying to re-use a symbol-color-combination that we've already assigned to a different group, but I'm sure we can deal with it if it doesn't happen.

Edited by olympe
Edited to incorporate some newer idea(s).

While I probably wouldn't use this, I can't see anything wrong with it. It would definitely be an easier way to easily see what dragons are already in a group and which ones aren't... I'm actually going through some groups right now comparing them to my scroll (sorted by breed) to see if there are any that should be in the groups but aren't. An easier way to see that without having to go to each dragon's view page and look at the group drop-down would be wonderful.

I would definitely not want this to show on the view page or lineage link. And would much prefer that it not show on my scroll as others see it, but only on my (logged-in) view of my scroll.

I'm not sure I would use this, but it could be helpful in some cases

41 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

That is a rather good idea. Do you mind if I put it in the OP?

9 minutes ago, olympe said:

That is a rather good idea. Do you mind if I put it in the OP?

Not at all. :)

2 hours ago, olympe said:

If no suffix is assigned to a group, there's nothing to add to the dragons' names, so this is completely optional.

This is all I care about. Completely optional. If it remained completely and totally optional, I can get behind and support this. I would never use it because I would hate seeing anything more then my dragons names on my scroll in any sort of view, either as an outside person viewing the scroll or logged in. But I can see people who would want this and use it.

So +1 support from me for those that would like it and use it. ^_^ (So long as it's 100% optional :ph34r:)

Yes, definitely optional. I already incorporate suffixes into the names with certain dragon breeds/clans, so I have no real use for this, but if it's totally optional then there is no reason to not support it. 

While very useful, what about dragons that are in multiple groups? Would they have multiple suffixes then if the groups have been assigned with such? I personally wouldn't want huge clutter of these on the dragon's page... but it would be very useful to have at least some sort of indicator on which groups you have put the said dragon without clicking "Add to Group" button and scrolling through all the groups you have to see if it is in there or not. Maybe list or tags of the groups at bottom of page, which would be visible to others too only if you have made the group(s) public?

6 hours ago, Fabula said:

This is all I care about. Completely optional. If it remained completely and totally optional, I can get behind and support this. I would never use it because I would hate seeing anything more then my dragons names on my scroll in any sort of view, either as an outside person viewing the scroll or logged in. But I can see people who would want this and use it.

So +1 support from me for those that would like it and use it. ^_^ (So long as it's 100% optional :ph34r:)

Me too. I wouldn't use it, but I support it for those who want it.  As long as it doesn't in any way affect me !

5 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:

While very useful, what about dragons that are in multiple groups? Would they have multiple suffixes ....

VERY good point.

I have to say that I have a breeding project group and it really doesn't  seem to be an issue finding the ones I forgot to add. I haven't dared test the "ones with same lineage" button yet....

8 hours ago, Moonlightelf said:

While very useful, what about dragons that are in multiple groups? Would they have multiple suffixes then if the groups have been assigned with such? I personally wouldn't want huge clutter of these on the dragon's page... but it would be very useful to have at least some sort of indicator on which groups you have put the said dragon without clicking "Add to Group" button and scrolling through all the groups you have to see if it is in there or not. Maybe list or tags of the groups at bottom of page, which would be visible to others too only if you have made the group(s) public?

Well, I was thinking that the various suffixes and/or prefixes stack. 

However, come to think of it, maybe little tags would be a better way to handle this? I must admit I'm not 100% sure how to go about it, I just feel the need for a way to tell at one glance which group(s) a dragon belongs to. Prefixes/Suffixes would be one way to accomplish that, (optional and customizable) tags another. Hmm. I think that tags offer even more options, especially if we could actually choose their color as well. I need to think some more about it.

I would prefer we just get tags, maybe with an easy option to apply a tag to a whole group at once. But if we can't have regular tags then I support this, because it would make the groups more useful. I agree that these labels should be visible only to the scroll owner, but I would be happy to see this implemented even if everyone can see them.

Why do I want this? Because it would make my scroll easier to use. It would let me know at a glace what dragons I have for breeding/collecting goals, or what I still need. 

Right now groups just seem to combine the least useful features of tags and tabs all at once (you can put dragons into a groups but it doesn't actually sort them into tabs that display separately, and you can put them into groups but not even see what group they are in from your scroll or the dragon's page, so they don't function as tags either). I can elaborate on how I'd like to see tags function but I don't want to take this thread off topic if that isn't what is needed here.

I found the old Tag thread but it's closed, so maybe a new one needs to be started? There's no comment as to why it's closed.

Well, I didn't want to start suggestion a completely independent tag feature, but something that kind of works with what we already have. Where a group can be assigned some kind of marker - be it a suffix, prefix or tag. So that, even if you're looking at your regular scroll, you can see which dragons are in a certain group.

This would be especially interesting for PB/checkered projects where you want to avoid inbreeding, as all of your dragons are of the same breed(s), and it might be hard to tell at a glance which dragons from your scroll aren't already in the group for that particular breeding project. And, really, this is just one of many examples where this could be of use.

Eh, not interested, but as long as it's optional (not automatically added if you've got any groups) I don't see how this would hurt.

So, to make sure I understand correctly, you basically want to be able to see what groups a dragon is in from the dragon list? That seems like the actual end goal here, and the "prefixes" and/or "suffixes" are just a means.

Yes, that sums it up pretty succinctly.

But not all of us want to see that at all....

Which is why I suggested that you'd have to customize the tags/suffixes/whatever. If you don't put anything in there, there's nothing to display. ;) 

I would actually prefer a different way to do this rather then suffix/prefix, but *something* would be really really nice, instead of having to go to each individual dragon's page to check which groups they are in.

@HeatherMarie I think that's why "tags" were also mentioned. Alternatively, maybe something like starring the dragon as opposed to tags or suffixes? I.e, you star messages in your email. You quickly notice a bright mark on the message among a hundred.

So dragon A and B are in a group together. You pick a colored mark (Be it star, circle, square, heart, triangle, whatever generic shape TJ decided on) to tag all dragons in that group. So say both dragons would have a yellow star beside them or beside their name to show they are both in the same group.

Then you add dragon B into a second group. You mark that group and it's dragons with a blue star. Both stars appear next to that dragon while only one appears with dragon A to show dragon A is in a single group and B is in two groups.

If that makes sense. Same basic principle but not using tags or suffixes but a smaller, simpler mark. This is of course just an alternative to using tags or suffixes/prefixes. None of this effects *me* because I would not use it.

This was just an alternative suggestion to using tags/suffixes. ^_^

I think that's the best suggestion thus far. How about a limited number of different shapes (circle, triangle, square, pentagon, hexagon, octagon; 4-point star, 5-point star, 6-point star 7-point star and - just maybe - capital (Latin) letters), combined with custom colors? Whether we only get 64 colors or can choose the colors for ourselves, it would give us lots of options for customization. Everything else would be up to us to learn on sight. ;)

Why not just capital letters. Simplest, and gives 26 options :)

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Why not just capital letters. Simplest, and gives 26 options :)

The problem with this is, people could then abuse that option by spelling out nasty words by putting their dragons in groups with said capital letters. As far as I know, no bad words can be spelled out by using stars, triangles and squares. They CAN be spelled out with letters and numbers though.

Using letters would be, imho, a bad idea for that reason. Besides, if we have say 10 different shapes, and then 10 different colors to choose from for each shape. That's 100 groups, right? Do we need more then that? Really? Is there someone on DC with 100 groups? Because I wanna see this person's scroll. XD lol

Edited by Fabula

Not that I would use this, certainly not for every single group, but I currently have 32 groups and have more planned (and I'm sure others have more then that!). So using capital letters wouldn't really work if I wanted that designation shown for every group. 

On 3/4/2018 at 11:19 AM, olympe said:

Well, I didn't want to start suggestion a completely independent tag feature, but something that kind of works with what we already have. Where a group can be assigned some kind of marker - be it a suffix, prefix or tag. So that, even if you're looking at your regular scroll, you can see which dragons are in a certain group.

This would be especially interesting for PB/checkered projects where you want to avoid inbreeding, as all of your dragons are of the same breed(s), and it might be hard to tell at a glance which dragons from your scroll aren't already in the group for that particular breeding project. And, really, this is just one of many examples where this could be of use.

ACTUALLY, if said tag showed up in lists of prospective breeding partners, that would be grand also!

It would be helpful if I wanted to be sure the dragon I was breeding was CB, for example.

I have some that are CB and some that are lineaged, you see... and some that are devoted to certain projects.... so a way of marking them somehow that would show in a breeding list would be a DEFINITE help, IMO.