esnym

Checkbox to prevent inbreeding

Hi!

I know not everyone cares about inbreeding, but upon accidentally breeding one of my silvers to his sibling yesterday, I realized it might be nice to have something like a checkbox on the breeding page to exclude potential mates that share the lineage. I don't know a lot about programming but it sounds like a solution that wouldn't be too difficult to implement or too obtrusive, it wouldn't prevent people from breeding how they want if they don't care, and would save a bit of time for those of us who'd rather not inbreed their dragons.

Sorry if this has already been suggested, I searched the forum and didn't see a suggestion quite like this but it's possible I missed something.

This has actually been discussed so often - I can't find a thread - but the consensus has always been that as inbreeding is not in any way frowned up on by the game (something that TJ confirms every tine it comes up) to have such a checkbox would suggest that there is something wrong with it - and game-wise, there isn't; it's just personal preference.

There is some discussion of it here - I HOPE this starts at the right post:

ETA found a REALLY old thread:

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This has actually been discussed so often - I can't find a thread - but the consensus has always been that as inbreeding is not in any way frowned up on by the game (something that TJ confirms every tine it comes up) to have such a checkbox would suggest that there is something wrong with it - and game-wise, there isn't; it's just personal preference.

There is some discussion of it here - I HOPE this starts at the right post:

ETA found a REALLY old thread:

I would add that SOME projects actually DELIBERATELY inbreed dragons... I believe I would be correct in naming 'Rise of the Targeryans' for one.

So while FOR The MOST part I DO try to avoid inbreeding.... I would say that hampering anyone's play style isn't a good idea.

EVEN those that DO generally want to avoid inbreeding may have 'special cases'.

THAT said... i don't think a WARNING of some kind might not be amiss. 

Edited by JavaTigress

I'm not against a checkbox system to remove any undesirable mates from the breeding list, but only being able to pick siblings wouldn't be a great idea. I usually don't even keep my dragon's offspring, so innreeding,id never a problem for me. Choosing a lineaged dragon instead of a CB one is. And, like others have said, there are players who collect messy and/or inbred dragons on purpose.

I would love some way to narrow down breeding mates, whether filtering by group or by breed or whatever, but a definite NO to anything that specifically excludes inbreeding. As Fuzz said, a checkbox that would deliberately exclude inbreeding implies that inbreeding is somehow bad or frowned on in-game, when it's not at all. There is absolutely no in-game negatives to inbreeding, it's purely user preference, and I think it should stay that way. I have always supported being able to filter the breeding list, though, especially if we could filter it by groups, that would be a simple way to exclude certain dragons without the game itself weighing in on the inbreeding thing.