Ariento

Bring Back CB Vampires

I agree that "unbitten" vampires (and vampires in general) should be brought back in biomes, because right now other than Prizes the vampires are the only dragons that can't be found in cave (or generated from in-cave dragons) and rely entirely on other players to be created.

Any other dragon, even Holiday dragons and metallic dragons, can be generated by the cave and caught by a player without outside assistance (edit: or in the case of summons, hybrids, and other non-in cave breeds, created solely by the player's own dragon collection). But to find a vampire, first someone needs to choose to bite an egg and have it repulsed, then the hunter has to be in the AP at the right time, then they have to hope the vampire egg is CB and the biter's name not something that they hate looking at. And making vampires risk killing eggs, which is a pretty big deterrent for those who might otherwise make vamps for the sake of it like those who happily massbreed 2nd-gen hybrids to the AP.

Not to mention on mobile if your screen ratio is too wide, you can't even see the bottom row of the abandoned page where vampires usually pop up.

Edited by Shadowdrake

@Shadowdrake I get what you mean, I think, but they way you said that is a bit misleading. Vamps and Prizes are definitely not the only dragons that can't be found in the cave. What about hybrids, and GoNs, and Sinomorphs, and Neglecteds, and Undeads? Those all rely on users taking specific actions to make them, not the cave generating them. Again I get what you mean, but the words are misleading. 

I honestly don't really care one way or another about CB Vamps coming back, I just don't completely understand the need for it. I mean, you can still get CB Vamps, they just have that 'bitten by' note, and is that really such a huge deal? I guess it is to some people, though. *shrugs*

@HeatherMarie You're right, that could be clarified better so I added an edit in.

Personally I just like CBs, even if I never breed them. It's why I only have CB zombies for example. I wouldn't be upset if vamps never return in cave, but I'd definitely prefer it and might even replace my bitten vamps with new ones.

8 minutes ago, Shadowdrake said:

Personally I just like CBs, even if I never breed them. It's why I only have CB zombies for example. I wouldn't be upset if vamps never return in cave, but I'd definitely prefer it and might even replace my bitten vamps with new ones.

I guess I get that. CB holidays have been brought back, so it seems obvious that CBs are important to many people and that TJ obviously sees a benefit in bringing back at least certain CBs. I don't care about CBs so maybe I just don't understand this well enough, but if (for example) I could no longer get messies of a certain breed and there was a suggestion to bring that back, I'd totally support it, so I guess it's the same idea for CBs. 

Agreed. I was surprised when they didn't come back with the other halloween CBs. And sure, there can be CB vampires, but the "bitten by" link works similarly to how lineages work for dragons that can breed, so it'd be cool to start some new lines in that regard too.

33 minutes ago, VVarhound said:

And sure, there can be CB vampires, but the "bitten by" link works similarly to how lineages work for dragons that can breed, so it'd be cool to start some new lines in that regard too.

Yeah! Exactly that. Even if we get a CB Vampire bitten by an original CB, technically we're getting "2Gs" because it has that bitten by link and that's basically the Vampire version of a lineage link.

20 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

@Shadowdrake I get what you mean, I think, but they way you said that is a bit misleading. Vamps and Prizes are definitely not the only dragons that can't be found in the cave. What about hybrids, and GoNs, and Sinomorphs, and Neglecteds, and Undeads? Those all rely on users taking specific actions to make them, not the cave generating them. Again I get what you mean, but the words are misleading. 

I honestly don't really care one way or another about CB Vamps coming back, I just don't completely understand the need for it. I mean, you can still get CB Vamps, they just have that 'bitten by' note, and is that really such a huge deal? I guess it is to some people, though. *shrugs*

I have a silly vamp lineage line that was started when vamp bites became a thing. They have a weird name theme, but we had given the original vamp a name, and every successful bite was assigned a number. As the bitten ones grew, and started biting on their own, their bites were added to the count. I stopped paying attention around the time we hit the 50s, as it became too complicated to keep track (the lineages were not a thing yet iirc). The ability to collect unbitten cbs, opens the doors for silly things like that. They could be leaders of a clan, cult, or whatever the vamps are to that user. I can easily see someone building a lyric army they can click back through, and family groups.

1 hour ago, Thuban said:

I have a silly vamp lineage line that was started when vamp bites became a thing. They have a weird name theme, but we had given the original vamp a name, and every successful bite was assigned a number. As the bitten ones grew, and started biting on their own, their bites were added to the count. I stopped paying attention around the time we hit the 50s, as it became too complicated to keep track (the lineages were not a thing yet iirc). The ability to collect unbitten cbs, opens the doors for silly things like that. They could be leaders of a clan, cult, or whatever the vamps are to that user. I can easily see someone building a lyric army they can click back through, and family groups.

Excellent points.

PLUS I would like to add that while I enjoy my 'bitten' vampies... as @Fabula said, unbittens are sort of the vampie equivalent of CBs.... and yes, @Thuban , I agree, that DOES create more options for players.

Edited by JavaTigress

3 hours ago, Thuban said:

That sounds like a really cool project! I've never kept track of what my vamps have bitten or who bit who, but that sounds like it would be fun. So yeah okay I can totally see why unbitten vamps would be helpful for that.

As a big vampire collector, (about 1600) I don't see the point in this. A CB egg that is bitten is still a CB Vampire. They pop up enough in the AP. bitten by is not a bad thing.

And its not like they can breed.

Edited by Starscream

As an owner of a pair of "fake" CB vamps.  I can say I've only ever had one person interested in an egg from them for that reason.  And that was a new person that thought they could then breed a lineage project from it.  No one else has ever noticed or cared.  It really makes zero difference. 

8 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

As an owner of a pair of "fake" CB vamps.  I can say I've only ever had one person interested in an egg from them for that reason.  And that was a new person that thought they could then breed a lineage project from it.  No one else has ever noticed or cared.  It really makes zero difference. 

As far as purely LINEAGE reasons, I would mostly agree. They'd still be fun, at least for me, for the headcanon value, if nothing else.

See.... I like to describe my dragons ( Yep... vampires too) AND.... it would make some interesting fodder for their descriptions, I am thinking.

ALSO... that isn't to say that if people HAD them they wouldn't USE them for bite lineages and biting. I wonder how many of the new players are even AWARE about this?

Edited by JavaTigress

the only thing more beautiful than  a Vamp >>>> a CaveBorn Vamp !!!

with so many other lovelies being re-released as CBs ...

it would be  wonderful to have these little guys as CB's too

undead have feelings too ... :)

Its funny what causes, desires, and playstyles get considered useless and unnecessary in the forum... I have yet to see a legitimate reason to not re-release CB Vampires. As many have already brought up Vampires can't breed so new CBs won't have any negative impact on anything. All their re-release would do is make people who want them happy. That's all. Vampires aren't rare, they can't breed, their BSA isn't particularly useful. Since every other Holiday dragon has had CBs re-released I think Vampires should get one too.

I want this. I want this SO BADLY. Please note me as one person, at least, who has longed for their own real CB Vampire JUST AS MUCH as all the other previously inaccessible and now re-released old breeds. I get the "they're not a true Halloween" logic, but if that's the case, can we please get them some other way? Rare standard drop? SOMETHING? If it doesn't matter to some of the rest of you, fine, but please don't pooh-pooh the idea just because YOU don't care about it and haven't happened to notice that other people do. We do. I know for a fact that my other friends who play would be all over this, especially BSD and Knifey. We're probably in the minority, but we definitely exist and I'd like to think that our concerns aren't irrelevant just because we're not the majority. 

Why do I want it? Completeism, firstly. If the point of DC is collecting all of the dragons, then I can't really "collect them all" if I can't get CBs of everything. At this point, even prizes are more within reach, and CB Hollies - so why not vampires? I can live with oddities like the old HM CB alts/hybrids not being gettable because those were weird specials to begin with. But I would be really frustrated in the same way if for some reason it was impossible to get hybrids at G2, only at G3 and up. I get that not everyone views "scroll completion" the same way, but the idea that it involves having at least one of each sex of all breeds, as CBs, is a pretty common version of it.

Secondly, characterization. I've been building my Breedery through dragon descriptions for years, including the distinction between wild-born and captive-bred dragons as a major social and political thing. So it matters to the story I'm working on. 

I concede that, as things that could be done with the site go, this is definitely a lower priority. But it would take so little effort/time to do and I can't see how it would hurt anyone unless Bite does in fact go by ratios (which it doesn't seem to to me; its behavior appears to be simple random chance.) So if it helps some people, doesn't hurt anybody, and won't take  meaningful development time and resources away from more important things - why not? DC is a sandbox game, so it's frankly rude IMO for some people to sit around telling other people what's "necessary" or "important". Just because you play the game differently, so it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean other people's concerns and desires are unimportant or irrelevant. It's been emphasized many times, officially, that ALL ways to play the game that don't break the rules are valid. 

Edited by Lurhstaap
clarification/adding

On 2/25/2018 at 4:34 PM, VVarhound said:

Agreed. I was surprised when they didn't come back with the other halloween CBs. And sure, there can be CB vampires, but the "bitten by" link works similarly to how lineages work for dragons that can breed, so it'd be cool to start some new lines in that regard too.

I hadn't thought about this until recently, but they were a glaring absence. I missed their original release and would love a shot at them.

2 hours ago, Bison said:

Its funny what causes, desires, and playstyles get considered useless and unnecessary in the forum... I have yet to see a legitimate reason to not re-release CB Vampires. As many have already brought up Vampires can't breed so new CBs won't have any negative impact on anything. All their re-release would do is make people who want them happy. That's all. Vampires aren't rare, they can't breed, their BSA isn't particularly useful. Since every other Holiday dragon has had CBs re-released I think Vampires should get one too.

I'd just like to point out that TJ himself offered a perfectly legitimate reason, in that Vamps are no longer considered Halloween dragons since they can actually be obtained year-round, that's why they weren't included in the Halloween re-release. And the fact that they *can* be obtained year-round is actually a fairly legitimate reason imo. CB Vamps can be made all year every year by biting a CB of any breed. The only difference is that little 'bitten by' note. 

I don't really care one way or another if true CB Vamps return, but saying there are no legitimate reasons not to is sort of just ignoring multiple points that other people, including TJ himself, have brought up.

5 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'd just like to point out that TJ himself offered a perfectly legitimate reason, in that Vamps are no longer considered Halloween dragons since they can actually be obtained year-round, that's why they weren't included in the Halloween re-release. And the fact that they *can* be obtained year-round is actually a fairly legitimate reason imo. CB Vamps can be made all year every year by biting a CB of any breed. The only difference is that little 'bitten by' note. 

I don't really care one way or another if true CB Vamps return, but saying there are no legitimate reasons not to is sort of just ignoring multiple points that other people, including TJ himself, have brought up.

Valid points against re releasing them as Halloweens , the way they were the first time, perhaps.

It doesn't MEAN that something else couldn't be done with them.

On 22/02/2018 at 6:12 PM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

What if they didn’t drop in the Halloween biome, but when the Halloween biome was around, they’d drop as slightly uncommon in the normal biomes? 

I like this idea.

Besides that, I'm mostly neutral to this, but I do have a bunch of Vampires from back when bites weren't logged yet :lol:

On 3/5/2018 at 12:14 AM, HeatherMarie said:

I, personally, do not feel that is a legitimate reason. Just because TJ said it doesn't mean everyone has to agree.

He's the one running the site, so unless we manage to change his mind... we do, in fact, have to agree.

I feel like having them as year-long uncommon/rare drops would be best, especially if it didn't affect bite success rates. Ultimately, though, I'm indifferent.

8 hours ago, Guillotine said:

change his mind

It has happened before. But that only works if you do *not* agree just because he said so once and instead find good reasons to give to him to actually change his mind.

Nothing will ever change if everyone simply agrees to the way things are right now.

On 2/23/2018 at 1:12 AM, angelicdragonpuppy said:

What if they didn’t drop in the Halloween biome, but when the Halloween biome was around, they’d drop as slightly uncommon in the normal biomes? 

I like this idea!

As far as year round uncommon / rare drops go, maybe they could (alternatively or otherwise) drop within a specific time frame each day OR on a specific couple of days? (For eg, only at 3am - the witching hour, or on Friday the 13ths). 

I would like the chance to have an "Original" Vampire (and I'm just going to refer to them as such to avoid confusion with the current CB Vampires) just for the reason that I think it would be fun. Do I absolutely need it? No. But then again, that's the same case for every other dragon in the game. I don't *need* to have them, but I'd like to have that option available. It could be nice to have my own exclusive Vampire Clan. It's the same reason why I would want my own CB Prize. Not necessarily for trading (so the vampire value wouldn't matter), but just for personal collection and fun (and at least the vampires are more interactive than the unbreedables). Prize dragons are also available year round as 2G onwards and the general trade value of Prize dragons has dropped considerably. But I still want my own CB Prize, the same way I'd like to have my own Original vampire. Can live without it, but I would like to have a shot at having it. 

With the return of CB Holidays, it seems like the only unattainable dragons from the cave (at the current time) are CB Prizes, any of the create-only dragons (zombie / neglected), CB Alts (like Alt Blacks etc that were given out as prizes), Spriter Alts, CB Female Hollys - and the original CB Vampire. [Although correct me if I'm wrong; my dragon cave lore / history knowledge isn't very established] 

Of all of these, the Original CB Vampires don't seem to be of the same kind of.. calibre (for lack of a better word) as the other cave-unattainable dragons. They were once readily available to the public, unlike the others that were only available as prizes. We even have a shot each month at getting a CB Prize now, so I don't think it's an implausible request to have a shot at obtaining an original Vampire. 

That's just how I feel on the matter. I'm convinced why they shouldn't be released in the same way as the other CB Halloweens (for the reason TJ stated), but I'm not that convinced as to why they can't ever be released in any other way. But ultimately, I wouldn't really mind at all if this never happens. :) Just my two cent's worth! 

Edited by Minkerbell

22 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It has happened before. But that only works if you do *not* agree just because he said so once and instead find good reasons to give to him to actually change his mind.

Nothing will ever change if everyone simply agrees to the way things are right now.

Hear, hear! I could not have said it better myself, Ruby Eyes. :)

I don't agree with the statement that we have to agree to something we don't like. :P :lol:

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Very, very rarely, and he's been stubborn over things that probably should be changed in the past despite being given sound reasons to at least slightly alter them. You can try, but it's not a bad idea to not get your hopes up when everything about the game is controlled entirely by one person.