Knuckerbearer

Dragon Request help?

Hello, I thought of a new type of dragon to suggest, but I don't know how to post it in the Dragon Requests section, as I've never done this before. Do I post it in suggestions before it's sent to Dragon Requests?

Just so you know, at the moment Dragon Requests is closed to new requests until the thread sees more completed. Until then you can work on these dragon ides in private.

The Dragon Request section is currently closed to new requests so that more of the current topics can be completed.

I don't have an estimated date on when it will open again, but you're more than welcome to submit your idea when the section does open.  When it is opened, you'll be able to post your new request in it.  It will be reviewed by a moderator for content before it appears, though.  There's a great guide to the process stickied at the top of the Dragon Request section.

In the meantime, feel free to jump right in and explore the section!  Dragon Requests was how I got started on DC and it's a ton of fun!

Considering the current rate of >10 posts daily, my estimate is at least another year.  Maybe it's just me, but requests is taking forever to go.  It used to be much more active.

There has always been FAR too much in it - and - to be blunt - far too much that was never going to work out....

Don't know if I should make a separate thread for this, but since it's been mentioned: Maybe it's time the old threads were cleared out a bit? It's been almost a year since the completed dragons were moved back into DR, and I remember year-old threads used to be locked then deleted. I think the threads the OP asked to be locked(excluding the ones that were locked due to the retroactive 2 thread limit) and the long-time neglected threads should be cleared out soon, if not to re-open the subforum then to at least have a better sense of what's really being worked on and to see what needs help/crits without being overwhelmed by 16 pages' worth of dragons that may or may not have a responsive OP.

(wow that's a long sentence)

For now, you can write down your request elsewhere and wait for the thread to open again.  (Shameless self promo: you can always help with my requests, dunno if my sig links work, but the requests are on the first page :)

12 hours ago, SkyWolf25 said:

Don't know if I should make a separate thread for this, but since it's been mentioned: Maybe it's time the old threads were cleared out a bit? It's been almost a year since the completed dragons were moved back into DR, and I remember year-old threads used to be locked then deleted. I think the threads the OP asked to be locked(excluding the ones that were locked due to the retroactive 2 thread limit) and the long-time neglected threads should be cleared out soon, if not to re-open the subforum then to at least have a better sense of what's really being worked on and to see what needs help/crits without being overwhelmed by 16 pages' worth of dragons that may or may not have a responsive OP.

(wow that's a long sentence)

I totally was going to suggest the same. DR used to be very active in the past, but that has changed drastically for some reason. Maybe don't delete DR threads after a certain period of inactivity, but merely hide them so they can be retrieved if necessary?

I hate to say it, but I think closing DR has directly lead to its inactivity. Most people have no reason to peek in there now. Not that I'm saying closing it was a bad idea, at all, or arguing to reopen it right now. I'm just afraid the inactivity may have been a sad side effect of the closure. :(

That's probably true, and was totally impossible to predict. I think that another factor is that all formerly finished requests have been moved there - it feels like there's absolutely no reason any more to make anything.

I've been told that DR was closed for certain periods of time before, and that artists sometimes almost fought about who got to work on which concept because there was no influx of new concepts. Now, we see the opposite happening.

Well, based on what I heard from my gf, she lost interest in working on new projects for DC because of DC's general issues and she preffered to put her work into a place with a higher potential and more welcoming community, but mostly because new artists are hardly ever released, even if they are as good as (or at least comparable to) the lead spriters of DC... she even heard the Spriter community can have an imput on who won't ever get accepted into the spriter community (=released) at least to some extend as she was warned against collaborating with some non-released artists if she wants thigns ever released (and those artists were never warned their work doesn't have a chance to get released no matter how good it is because she sees them still work on DRs to this day), though that could have changed by now. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Cervine fiasco from last year did also make TJ more untrusting of new people (not that the evidence was sufficient, still,important here is it was for TJ and could potentially cause him to have trust issues against gving more new blood a chance). 

So it's more like "what's the point of trying, if public concepts and new spriters nearly don't get released?" so basically feeling hopeless. I guess in the past more people actually hoped to have their work released, but overtime those hopes got broken when people started observing things. Not to mention people leaving the game and so, their DR work. Cleanup could be a good move, but better try to contact the artists and OPs before nuking their work, no updates doens't mean abandonment. 

Edited by MhKhu

Yeah.  I just lost interest because nobody else seemed interested.  I kind of wanted to do more spriting and sketching and such and even submitted two holiday concepts (with help from Infinis, Lindy, and Doodlemax) and that was really fun!  Everyone was active, whether it was just chatting or actually working on the concept.  I admit that my spritework certainty isn't good, by any standards, but Lindy and Doodlemax are much better than I am and I think they should be credited for their work at least in some respect.  However, Lindy seems to have disappeared, even though she had some active requests she was working on, possibly because nobody was giving feedback.  Doodlemax is on a break of sorts, according to discord.  

I honestly feel like this has more to do with the loss of many active players, including both global mods.  In the past, we had Sock, who was always on the forums doing something and who handled many of the requests and helped move the request section along, and we had Z, who is currently dealing with the loss of her son.  Currently, the only mods I see a lot of are Infinis, purpledragonclaw and Starscream. 

Theres also the decrease in active members, particularly the ones who used to post frequently in that section and the decrease in the availability of spriters who can sprite.

Honestly, this makes me wonder if DC is dying.  There used to be more positivity on this site and now it just feels... empty.

Combination of the feeling of "it's pointless" (why bother with the work if you won't even see it on-site?) and the general inactivity of the forum, at least for me.

On 2018-02-16 at 8:18 PM, Knuckerbearer said:

Hello, I thought of a new type of dragon to suggest, but I don't know how to post it in the Dragon Requests section, as I've never done this before. Do I post it in suggestions before it's sent to Dragon Requests?

Honestly, if you want a higher chance of actually doing stuff involving sprites and such, I’d try pming an artist on the site about any possible holiday dragon ideas you may have.  Fist of all, make sure you have a clear idea of what you want.  Then ask them if they’re available to help you with your request.  Give as much detail or as little detail as you feel comfortable giving.  I’d ask in-cave spriters and other people who are active and have good art.  I’m already working on a holiday request with somebody, so it’s never too early to ask :)

3 hours ago, Knuckerbearer said:

I don't have any ideas for holiday dragons, I'm afraid, only permanent releases.

Concepts which are worked on in secret can be ones intended for a certain holiday, but it absolutely isn't a necessity! But before you suggest something, I certainly recommend you to have a look at The Ultimate Dragon Requests Guide, if you haven't done so already.

Edited by Mewtie

True enough. I heard that the Spirit Wards were originally intended to be a Halloween concept, for example.