x-acidic pixie stick-x

ANSWERED:Stolen art

Yeah, i’ve been doing some digging and trying to see if other places may have stolen art (google image search isn’t very helpful in this respect).  I did also email Silvanon about the issue and all I did was tell her that this was happening and that she might need to respond to it.

Also, regarding the one star review... they weren’t lying.  I know because I posted it under the alias ‘Amy Larksong’.  I deleted it within an hour or two of being in contact with them, but I guess they still saw it.  I only posted it out of a sort of rage.  I was angry that someone was using artwork that wasn’t there and I didn’t think with my head.  I chose to be stupid and judgemental and I guess I’ll have to pay the consequences.  So for anybody calling them out for falsifying information, they weren’t really falsifying, just presenting info that was outdated.  They told me that the person who posted the review deleted it sometime after they showed the email.  While I don’t know when exactly I deleted it, I do believe that I was the one who made it.  There isn’t any proof left, however, since I deleted the review and there’s no way to recover a deleted review on google.  So, yeah, that’s the whole story about that.

They kind of made it sound like there was more than one review, and I haven't seen any attacks on their YouTube, unless they count a single dislike I saw on one of their videos. Maybe not lying, but it sounds like they're over-exaggerating.

If I were in their place, I would just delete this art and apologize to the DC. I think finding free image of a dragon to commercial use or find an artist who would make a whole new logo is not a problem.

We can't say anything if there's no info from artist who did this sprite. In these days everybody can easily prepare fake e-mails etc. so I would not believe so easily in that "proof".

But naming us trolls is out of place. We just want the clarification of the situation. So where is the trolling?

If Silvanon gave them permission to use this art, then we can't do nothing besides making a new sprite for Red Dragon. I know users will be upset about losing sprite they like, but what can we do if agreement between Silvanon and TJ was violated?

But if the permission was not given to this shop, then I think we can force them to change a logo. But worse situation may be if they will state that possible e-mail or message from Silvanon is fake, just like we think that their e-mail may be fake.

Overall, situation doesn't smell good. I hope it will be solved as soon as possible.

37 minutes ago, Cyberr said:

If Silvanon gave them permission to use this art, then we can't do nothing besides making a new sprite for Red Dragon. I know users will be upset about losing sprite they like, but what can we do if agreement between Silvanon and TJ was violated?

But if the permission was not given to this shop, then I think we can force them to change a logo. But worse situation may be if they will state that possible e-mail or message from Silvanon is fake, just like we think that their e-mail may be fake.

First of all, it doesn't necessarily mean that the red dragon sprite would have to be replaced. It merely means that there is a good reason to do it, but it's not unavoidable and, in the end, up to TJ.

Second, we cannot enforce anything. If at all, it will have to be either Silvanon (as the copyright holder) or TJ (who has been granted exclusive use of the sprite).

The thing is, this could all be avoided if they just... designed their own logo and branding.

I mean, if I ran a business, I would want my business to have it's own unique branding and not be associated with any currently used art from another site/business.

Not to mention, as a graphic design student, their edit of the red dragon sprite and branding is really bad, lol. It's giving me second hand embarrassment.

Just hire a graphic designer?

Edit: You know though, I wouldn't be upset if the red dragon got a sprite update. the sprite hasn't aged well compared to newer dragons, and we already did the same thing with golds.

Edited by Kaini

So if the store has Silvanon's permission, they're not violating any copyright. But Silvanon is violating DC's artist agreement. Anything that needs to happen will happen between TJ and Silvanon.

I don't know that there's anything to be gained by us as a userbase continuing to speculate whether or not the owners "faked" information (thoroughly inclined to believe them that they did not), or anyone other than Silvanon or TJ being in contact with The Dragon's Keep.

This might be a good time to let this thread go and let the parties who can actually act on it do that? Just, y'know, lest we inspire any fresh Facebook comments. ;)

13 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

So if the store has Silvanon's permission, they're not violating any copyright. But Silvanon is violating DC's artist agreement. Anything that needs to happen will happen between TJ and Silvanon.

I don't know that there's anything to be gained by us as a userbase continuing to speculate whether or not the owners "faked" information (thoroughly inclined to believe them that they did not), or anyone other than Silvanon or TJ being in contact with The Dragon's Keep.

This might be a good time to let this thread go and let the parties who can actually act on it do that? Just, y'know, lest we inspire any fresh Facebook comments. ;)

This, very much. We can't do anything - we don't even have the right to file a complaint. Only TJ and/or Silvanon do. And only they and the store actually KNOW what happened.

On 2/18/2018 at 5:32 PM, silver_tiger said:

I'm not even worried about condemning the artist for doing something that, going by the email we have been given, the artist seems to think is perfectly within their rights to do. I want confirmation that these people didn't just steal the dragon image and are now trying to get away with that theft.

This exactly.

I would like to know IF, in fact, Silvanon really did give the permission that is claimed was given.

I am going to withhold judgement until we know for sure.

SO...as others have said,probably time to let this go and let TJ  deal with the issue.

Edited by JavaTigress

Well, considering they certainly knew that Silvanon is the creator of the reds and managed to contact her via an actually existing email (which you can find when you look at her profile), I'm quite willing to believe that they did indeed contact her.

The store did contact me to tell me that they will probably ask artists they know to help design a new logo for them.  They don’t want Silvanon to get into trouble after she helped them.  

4 hours ago, Kaini said:

The thing is, this could all be avoided if they just... designed their own logo and branding.

I mean, if I ran a business, I would want my business to have it's own unique branding and not be associated with any currently used art from another site/business.

Not to mention, as a graphic design student, their edit of the red dragon sprite and branding is really bad, lol. It's giving me second hand embarrassment.

Just hire a graphic designer?

Edit: You know though, I wouldn't be upset if the red dragon got a sprite update. the sprite hasn't aged well compared to newer dragons, and we already did the same thing with golds.

ALL of this.  Seriously, guys!

(Well.  Almost all!  I do adore my Reds, being Welsh and all, but... we haz some good artists here, I think they can knock my socks off!)

The only judgement I'm giving on this situation until we hear more reliable information (preferably from Silvanon, but TJ helped quite a lot) is that the person/people who maintain the Dragon's Keep are handling the situation very, very poorly. There's no need to call out and insult people who're just protective of artists who they think are the victims of stolen art. If anything is giving them bad press, it's how they're reacting, not the fact that they're using the Red sprite anymore.

I doubt they're lying about contacting Silvanon, there was more likely just a miscommunication somewhere along the line as to what exactly could be done with the art.

Also, I would definitely not mind the Red sprite getting an anatomy/shading update. Maybe some dimorphism.

Edited by Kiryu

I'm going to close this thread now. I've already responded with the "official DC" side of things, and at this point, it's best left handled by the people who actually can (as others have already mentioned).

I will leave it with this: Assuming the emails shown by The Dragon's Keep are accurate, they have done nothing specifically wrong. They asked for permission to use the art, and were granted it. Their social media handling of the issue was perhaps not the best, but that's a separate issue entirely...