Starlessknight

Username change!

I'm still absolutely NO support for a redirect - viewbombers can and will use it. On dA, someone malicious can't take down your art by finding you via redirect, but on DC someone CAN kill your dragons or ruin a ND experiment with a scroll redirect.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

I don't think avoiding viewbombing is the reason for this suggestion. We need to know past name history - and as long as we can check that - and we MUST be able to - so can viewbombers. And sure, we can say it should only be possible to check that when logged in - but there is every possibility the bombers are among us.

This suggestion isn't about that; it is about being able to change a name which you now find offensive/silly/"not you any more".

The redirect is probably the most controversial aspect of this suggestion. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees on having a limited amount of scroll name changes, as well as a permanent record of changes. If these are in place I'm not sure why the redirect would be necessary, I'd be perfectly happy for this suggestion to be implemented without a redirect. (Since someone quoted dA as an example, there is makes sense bc of art ownership and crediting, but on DC that doesn't apply.)

On 16.02.2018 at 9:59 AM, TJ09 said:

Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?)

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? (the first post says yes)

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period.

DEFINITELY NOT a visible history. Or username change becomes utterly pointless since you're still eternally stigmatized with the username/s you're ashamed of by now.
For instance, my girlfriend doesn't want to be associated with her old username AT ALL and if her old one is to stay on display, she'd see harm in her scroll name change and would rather leave the game for good or make a new scroll and have her old burned than use a feature that would connect the two permanently (she's ashamed of having been a fan of the thing her scroll name points at and wants no more associations with it ever, she still keeps her scroll just because she's still hoping for a proper username change but once this hope is lost by implementation of a shallow MAIN DISPLAYED name change she'll just abandon it... and she's not sure if she wants to go through completing her goals from scratch ever again, so yeah, basically a lost player)... 
Scam protection? Make an in-game block system instead (that would prevent blocked users from offering on or claiming on teleports of blocking user), one can't possibly memorise every undesired user's name anyway, so keeping history for this sake is pointless anyway. A redirect would do all the trick best of anything for those who have very few to remember or who keep blacklists(forbidden on the forum btw, so why should the game suddenly support them via showing history?) before or instead of implementation of the block feature. And forum doesn't remember this data anyway, and forum is the main and only trading platform atm, so there's absolutely no point in keeping scroll names history since traders would normally rather know&pay attention to their trading partners' forum usernames rather than their scrolls, and forum usernames are TRULY changeable... There's absolutely no reason for keeping scroll names history now nor is it a sollution to any kind of problem - a block system is

- Notice that the only reasons people bring for visible history is things like IOUs which are NOT supported by the game and are even forbidden on the forum's trading sections. Everyone is unnecessarily panicking, seeing problems that are completely unrelated to usernames (since they have always been happening even before any kind of username change was posisble) or are not directly a part of the official aspects of the game... Not to mention a block feature would solve everything way better than any sort of history could EVER do. And if a scammer really wants to scam/troll/take advantage, all they need is to make fake accounts also now, or have a friend to take no username history would ever limit them anyways.

Since all reasons 'for history' are based on unofficial and discouraged pracitses, I don't think they are valid at all. 

I'd recommend permament reservation to make impersonations impossible. Imagine you changed your scoll name... and someone took it. 

Once per account can be not enough for the lifetime, but if it's to be a thing, then ABSOLUTELY no history. No more than one per 5 years compromise?
Also, capitalisation changes could count separately (since login is not case sensitive)? these are just the display issue, so as long as it's codable, it would be a good thing o allow them outside of limits.

Edited by MhKhu

Without permanently visible history, I will never support this.

MhKhu, I can only assume you have never been scammed. It isn't only by IOU that scamming happens; there's also switching eggs after a trade is agreed, cancelling a trade midway through - to name but two things that I have seen happen. I can easily remember the scroll names of those who have scammed me of people I know. It doesn't happen often enough for that to be a problem. If your girlfriend feels that strongly then yes - a lost player. I would be VERY surprised if many people would take her line. It's a rather sad position to take. But a burned scroll still shows the name of its owner, so her old name would still be out there, whether she likes it or not.

7 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't think avoiding viewbombing is the reason for this suggestion. We need to know past name history - and as long as we can check that - and we MUST be able to - so can viewbombers. And sure, we can say it should only be possible to check that when logged in - but there is every possibility the bombers are among us.

This suggestion isn't about that; it is about being able to change a name which you now find offensive/silly/"not you any more".

True, though the reason I'm fine with visible history+no redirect is viewbombers have to find your new scroll to see it first. Visible history+redirect is just handing someone malicious stuff on a silver platter - viewbombers are the most common type of this, but there's others out there, and I believe TJ mentioned that a lot of name change PMs he gets wouldn't be served well by a redirect and would be hurt by it... which in my opinion says something about what people would want to use it for.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

I could care less if my horrible scroll name was floating out there in the ether but not attached to me at all anymore. Not my trash, not my shame, simple. But honestly I don't fancy redoing all the years of this game just because of people freaking out... Still, if I did(who knows), notice you'd not only not know my past username as mine anyways, this time you'd even not be safe from me even if you had the means to block me and had done it... because new account, RIP your brilliant memory - it's useless against this, and if I reported my current scroll for burning or at least permanently stopped logging to it, I wouldn't be multiscrolling to achieve that. If someone really wants to cut themselves from their old uername, they will. Did it years back with the forum username(atm it works like the redirecting thing only - if you search my old username you can find the new one, but you can't find the old one if you don't know it in the first place), could do that with the scroll if I was determined enough to redo everything. I'm way too  sick of my scrollname, and only growing sicker and sicker. If I, a legit player, consider doing this, scammers are way more likely to make new accounts to scam further *shrug*.

Also not convinced with the 'non-IOU' points, those still belong to IOU kind, commiting them is still legal within the game itself, even if it's against common courtesy (better deal with viewbombing instead, it's way more harmful than no-history would EVER manage to be even if all those unrealistic concerns had actually ever happened and all at once). In-game block system is THE sollution to ALL those arguments uncomparably more than history coudl EVER do instead, I was mentioning it before too, but I see people who just demand to see other's history choose to deliberatery ignore it, even if sb else than me points it out. 

Now be honest, are you now being scammed more than before the full forum username changes were implemented? or that actually rather  seems to not rely on that at all, hm? Not sure if the Ignore feature actually works properly, but if it does, I'm sure it does way more than forum username history change was visible. Because if the Ignore feature really works as a in-forum block feature, your ability to see past forum usernames doesn't help you AT ALL IN ANYTHING regarding game-related stuff (like the unofficial thing IOUs are)! With an in-game block, forget about any need to remember or list users! and you'll find the history access even more unnecessary than within the forum (where those people also can post in threads - unlike in the game).

And as for me, I DID experience failed IOUs (and before forum name changes!), also kills on gifts despite my 'if you takie it, don't kill it' rule but I can NOT prevent those people from taking more gifts from my Transfers even if I do have their usernames written down - they are still able to take things from these open-end links, and the only way to stop them without forcing ME to change MY gifting method, would be to block them in-game. And why on Earth should I be expected to adjust my gifting behaviour just for THEM? You're DEAD WRONG assuming anti-history  people were never scammed, used, etc.:/ Also, as you admitted yourself " It doesn't happen often enough for that to be a problem. " and I'm now using it against dooming me to display my disgustingly shameful username even after I finally change it to VixenDra - legal way or not if I'm left with no choice (I did with with forum years back; you your history diplay demand is fulfilled, I'll forever regret I haven't made a new scroll too back before I got all the NDs, Zombies and other hardly-replaceable things:/), it's NOT worth it since it "doesn't happen often enough for that to be a problem." with "that" meaning "no history".
It's nothing but ungrounded panic - like with nearly all change-bringing suggestions around. The forum name changes were accompanied by exactly the same concerns, and ta-daa, didn't occur/change for worse.

I used to be a very active player until January - both in trading and breeding. Wondering if despite of that rich activity, anyone could now tell me my exact scroll name in a few months (or even today?). I hid it in all posisble ways, good luck tracking it back without knowing it on your own and with me not trading or gifting on DC anymore... And thanks for wishing me to never feel comfortable to display my scroll ever again, in trading included etc.. Also thanks for supporting a perma-forcing me to tell all new(!) trading partners what my old, shameful scrollname is for as long as I use this game account... I really hope TJ doesn't listen to your majority here. This time TJ's ignoring the community's voice would be for the best indeed.

Especially I haven't yet seen a valid point against no username history, similarly to my forerunner above (signing under all his words, helped him in writing after all).

as for viewbombing, better find a way to prevent it in the core, instead. Especially as here, scroll name change to escape it wo"n't happen often enough for that to be a problem." and is not worth rendering the username change completely pointless either.

(I guess 4 months of DC forum hiatus is far from enough, I'm still getting less and less into those arguments, even on such an important issue like thie one:/)

1 hour ago, VixenDra said:

And as for me, I DID experience failed IOUs (and before forum name changes!), also kills on gifts despite my 'if you takie it, don't kill it' rule but I can NOT prevent those people from taking more gifts from my Transfers even if I do have their usernames written down - they are still able to take things from these open-end links, and the only way to stop them without forcing ME to change MY gifting method, would be to block them in-game.

Actually no - that one is easy - just set up a two way trade and ask for a dummy; you can see who offers and not accept from anyone you object to. So - no problem there.

Not that one has the right to tell people what they can do with anything on their scroll.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

9 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Actually no - that one is easy - just set up a two way trade and ask for a dummy; you can see who offers and not accept from anyone you object to. So - no problem there.

" without forcing ME to change MY gifting method [...] And why on Earth should I be expected to adjust my gifting behaviour just for THEM? " please don't ignore what's already been said... also, notice, that your 'sollution' involves more work from ME just because sb ELSE was acting jerk, and that work also involves comparing every single trade offer with blacklists(which, as it was already pointed out, are NOT even allowed on forum). While with a block feature all problem is solved for good and no time is needlessly wasted all because of a few ill-will peeps. The current way is just tedious enough to discourage gifting.

Edited by VixenDra

When you agree to an IOU, you're also accepting the risks associated with those trades. Yes, I have been scammed. I know how much it sucks to lose something in a trade. But anything that happens beyond a two-way teleport link it out of TJ's control. I'm fine with having no redirect as long as either A) a scroll-based blocking system is put in place or B) past names are permanently listed somewhere on every scroll for that reason. That way, viewbombers lose power but embarrassing/confusing/whatever usernames can be somewhat hidden.

3 hours ago, VixenDra said:

" without forcing ME to change MY gifting method [...] And why on Earth should I be expected to adjust my gifting behaviour just for THEM? " please don't ignore what's already been said... also, notice, that your 'solution' involves more work from ME just because sb ELSE was acting jerk, and that work also involves comparing every single trade offer with blacklists(which, as it was already pointed out, are NOT even allowed on forum). While with a block feature all problem is solved for good and no time is needlessly wasted all because of a few ill-will peeps. The current way is just tedious enough to discourage gifting.

You would be adjusting it to meet your own wishes. And it takes no longer to click two way trade than one way.

I gift all the time. It isn't tedious at all.

On 16.2.2018 at 9:59 AM, TJ09 said:

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period.

Visible history: Yes, and please permanently. For protection against scammers who just change their username so they can scam again. And, also, against people impersonating someone who changed their username. It probably wouldn't be too big of a thing, but I'd still like to know that someone is the person I remember them to be.

Permanent reservation of names is kind of a logical consequence of the above, as it's the only way to prevent people from picking up old usernames.

Limits on usage seem like a very good idea, or some people would change their username every other week. Once per scroll might be a bit strict, and while it's still an improvement over no way to change your username, I'd prefer a limit of once every 3 years (maybe even once every 5 years). Because, well, life happens.

I apparently missed something here, how are IOUs related to username changes? IOUs and other scams are certainly not the only reasons to want to know who the heck an unfamiliar username is. I will NEVER support in-game username changes with no way to know who they were beforehand, whether that's with a redirect or history I don't care. It's not just 'at your own risk' things like IOU scams that is at stake here.... There is the very real issue of plain harassment. If you know that user A has bad-mouthed you to friends, or on another site, you probably want to avoid that person. If user A has threatened you, sending you horrible emails or PMs, you want to avoid them. If user A suddenly becomes user Y and there is no way to know that user Y was ever user A.... That opens up a whole mess of upsetting situations. Maybe user Y contacts you about a trade, and you don't recognize the name so you start communicating with them again.... That won't end well. Now, you can say 'oh that doesn't happen here!' or 'well that's just being overdramatic', and I'm sure some people will say that.... But it *does* happen and *has* happened in this game before. 

Giving scammers, gift-killers, and plain harassers a simple way to totally change their identity in order to keep scamming/harassing is not something I will *EVER* support.

13 hours ago, MhKhu said:

Or username change becomes utterly pointless since you're still eternally stigmatized with the username/s you're ashamed of by now.

I disagree that they become utterly pointless. People are suggesting that old usernames remain accessible, yes, but that doesn't mean that they're on display front and centre. Think of the system on the forums, for example. Regular interaction with a person or viewing their content on the forum gives no indication of past name changes. You need to go to their profile, click a discreet button, and then you get to see what the past username was. So it's available for the people who want to access that information, but it's otherwise virtually irrelevant to the game and communication. For someone who doesn't like their current username, they would no longer have to see it, write it, use it, etc. And I think that would make a big difference to most people who are embarrassed/ashamed of their current usernames. There would be significantly less exposure to it which would make a huge difference. I'm sorry if it wouldn't make quite enough difference for some people, but I think they would really be a tiny minority in the grand scheme of things.

Name reservation/history

I think this feature would definitely require a way to access previous usernames to see changes (a small symbol to click near the username like the forum has would be sufficient) and permanent reservation of usernames is a must. I'd like to think it wouldn't happen very often, but there would at least be a few instances of people trying to 'become' others and that would be a real shame and lead to potentially messy situations. I don't see any reason that permanent reservation shouldn't happen - if someone else has had that username at some point in time, then it only creates confusion if it goes to someone new.

Redirecting 

I'm also against automatic redirection to new scrolls from past usernames. While I'm sure a lot of people would be changing their scroll names for aesthetic reasons, there are certainly others who'll want to change for privacy and that's fair enough. Could a part of the name change process potentially be an opt in/out setting for redirection? You could check a box when finalising your name change about whether you'd like your old scroll link to redirect to the new one. That would mean people who aren't particularly fussed would be able to save people a bit of trouble finding their scroll with the new name, while people who are changing for privacy could maintain that privacy. 

Edited by StormWizard212

On 16/02/2018 at 8:59 AM, TJ09 said:

Visible history: Not really something I’d usually be bothered about, but reading about scammers changed my mind. Scamming might be a rare occurrence, but it still happens, and everyone has a right to be protected against someone who’s done it before. As such, I believe we should get to see who someone previously was. I wouldn’t be overly happy about this, because my current scroll name is so tragically embarrassing I don’t give it out publicly, but it is for the good of those targeted by scammers. As well as that issue, it would help the more forgetful of us on the site know who they’re trading with. I came back to the forums after years not using them, and everyone’s new names baffle me. It is only because of people listing old names in their signatures or account that I recognise them at all.

Reservation: It makes sense. People could easily create new accounts and pretend to be users who’ve changed their names. I understand the site isn’t exactly crawling with evil users who would do this, but it is a potential risk I believe we should protect against.

Limits: Sure. I for one would only be interested in changing my name once, and when presented with a chance to change a name after years of using their embarrassing 2010 names, many people think long and hard about how they want to be newly seen as. This would also protect against people changing their names bi-weekly just to confuse and trick others. Again, a small percentage of users, but better safe than sorry.

Overall, really support this. Hate my scroll name.

Amused to see people make screechy bolded-all-over-the-place "do this my way or i WILL QUIT THE GAME" posts that claim other people are "overreacting" :rolleyes: (Also introducing IOUs to the discussion when nobody was talking about them and they're not really related in any way? Don't need to be using IOUs to be scammed...)

Edited by Aalbiel

26 minutes ago, Aalbiel said:

Amused to see people make screechy bolded-all-over-the-place "do this my way or i WILL QUIT THE GAME" posts that claim other people are "overreacting" :rolleyes: (Also introducing IOUs to the discussion when nobody was talking about them and they're not really related in any way? Don't need to be using IOUs to be scammed...)

If people don’t want a certain feature and it’s implemented and they leave, that’s their choice. People will voice their opinions in this thread, that’s what it’s for. (Also don’t really see how that comment was related in any way, but...)

Either way I’m pretty satisfied with my scroll name, but fully support being able to change it because it’d be useful for plenty of users. Having visible history and reservation on old names makes sense to me just to avoid confusion and scamming :)

A lot of good points on this thread. Due to me being an extremely casual and overall lone-wolf player (except in times like now where I'm getting addicted to the game/forums again) I didn't realize the significance of the scammers/viewbombers/etc, especially since I've thankfully never encountered the problem. I knew they were there, sure, but the significance of them admittedly makes me surprised...and disappointed in those that do such things! Thank you all for your insights, truly-they help an on and off player like me realize/be aware of all these important things.

While I agree with the majority on most things and they probably don't need to be said again, I'll give my opinion/support as well.

I agree with @StormWizard212's suggestion on the simple button mechanism being implemented-you go to a scroll, see a button somewhere on it that maybe states "Past Usernames" and if you decide to click on it, you get a permanent history of that user's usernames. Don't click on it and you won't see the previous usernames a user had, plain and simple. The list doesn't need to be out in the open and displayed, rather hidden by a simple button. Then those who don't wish to look at their old usernames again don't have to and those who are curious can simply click on the button and sate their curiosity. :)

Also agree to the idea of turning a re-direct on and off; so that those who like the feature and would use it can use it, while others who absolutely don't want to can stick with the button as their means of displaying their old username.

Permanent reservation of previous usernames?

Like others mentioned, this would be useful so nobody could impersonate others and potentially spread harm, or so confusion is avoided if someone new/someone not on the forums suddenly had, say, a mod's old username for their scroll. So, definitely permanent reservation.

Limits on usage?

Like other's mentioned again, for sure limits. I agree with those who stated that having "cooldown" periods for changing usernames wouldn't necessarily be helpful as, while it would take quite some time, people could still misuse it and change their identities every time the cool-down ends and further create confusion/potential malice, while a permanent limit of 3-5 username changes would be ideal not only to give people some wiggle room as opposed to the "once only", but also to ensure that there would be an end to how many times you can change your username and that you can't go back after that. Granted, I'm not sure how many potential scammers/viewbombers/etc would wait that long for each cooldown, but I have a feeling that it could be used maliciously.

I also agree with those who stated about extra confirmation and a display of how many username changes you can make before your limit is up. Two confirmations would be enough, with a warning on the second stating that you have so and so attempts and "are you sure?", to ensure users made sure their username was everything that wanted and all set to go.

Whew...And here's my conclusion to my book, haha! :) While I personally don't have any use for it, I am in total support of it, especially if it was enabled to where you could turn redirect on and off, simple button for username history, etc. The limit I lean more towards the set 3-5 username changes and you're done instead of a cooldown, but I can also see why the cooldowns would be preferred as well.

Still all arguments I see are based on forum-based issues: all either IOU type or float around the forbidden blacklist approach (like warning others against people, it's NOT a legal thing here, not to mention people warned against can make new accounts...) - not stricte in-game, and are nothing that wouldn't be resolved if an in-game blocking was implemented, with exception of scammers making new accounts which honestly isn't sth that can be dealt with with history visibilty either. I have no idea how many times things have to be repeated for this community to grasp and acknowledge some facts... It's been a while since last time I've seen such a scale of denial... Your full history insight won't stop scammers if they cannot be stopped now with no scroll name changes possible, why all arguments out here are based of denialof that fact (and a few others)? 

(And as for gifting issue, you're forgetting that atm VD can hide her scroll name from transfer links when she's gifting away or 'trading' the IOU style (it doesn't show), if she'd change for 'offer a dummy', so a two-way, her "shameful scroll name" will be displayed while in one-way she can avoid it for so long her scoll is hidden atm. So changing to two-way is the opposite of a sollution if she wants to CUT OFF from her old username completely, it's actually the worse she can do now. Right now, she can't trade legit and can only one-way, or she has to reveal her scrollname to people who would normally never see it otherwise, the name she doesn't want associated with her and her current one is being constantly re-associated with her everytime she trades, but not when she sends things via one-way. ). It's not a matter of "not wanting to look at one's own old username".

Also, looks like nobody here remembers her scrollname indeed (just IF you do, don't be jerk by posting it here in public).

So if TJ bends to your 'show us history' (unreasonable) demands, there's just one way he can do it without doing more harm than you claim as necessary (no, it's NOT necessary - block system yet again): if you are to be allowed to view some user's history, you shall meet a certain condition: you would have to have had a two-way trade with the given user before the user changed from the given username, or you cannot learn their past username EVER. If you never traded before, their history shall be locked for your view forever. This is the only way it can be acceptable for you to view any history of any user in this game. In simplier words:

the user x, scrollname Abc, never traded with you -> x changed to Def -> now you trade together for the first time, you cannot see x was Abc, you only see x is Def -> x chanded to Ghi -> you trade again, you can peek at their history and see x was Def but you cannot see x was Abc (and if you do have them blacklisted, you don't finalise the trade - you do NOT need to know they used to be Abc ages ago to do that this way (but block system would make you peek at any part of history completely not needed).)

^ this condition is an absolute must if any history is to be anyhow accessed ever. Though really, even in such a case your access to x's history is NOT needed AT ALL if you get a block system (repeating yet again)

Well... not that you'd rememeber or know their username in certain situations anyway... Traded via forum? the person can have different usernames and not share their scollname... Action log doesn't keep that info at all in any case and you can't check that afterwards in any way, unless the user doesn't have a hidden scroll. You'd need to pay attention to EVERYONE in EVERY trade, like a paranoic... and well, no IOUs for you anyway as one-ways don't display scroll name if the scroll is hidden (block system is even the only healthy and sufficient way - as sufficient as things can be)

block system > visible history (full< or <partial)

block system makes visible history (full or partial) utterly useless. USELESS. Get it? 

and none will stop scammers from making new accounts and avoiding whatever you have against them. You'd need an IP block (and would end up blocking some people who share devices), not an username history. 

Edited by MhKhu

I still want to know who I am trading with. Sometimes because there are people I would specifically LIKE to trade with. I will never support hiding history.

I have not seen any convincing reasons for *not* showing a username history. I've seen multiple very good reasons to show the history and not one actual legit reason not to, except that it makes the change 'useless', which is most certainly not true for everyone. Regardless of the actual reasonings behind wanting a username history, scammers or harassers or whatever, the fact is that *many* people simply want a way to know who the heck they are trading/communicating with. That doesn't sound all that unreasonable to me and it's absolutely no different then the system we have here on the forums.

I like Storm Wizard's idea for an optional redirect, like some tumblr blogs can do that. As much as I hate my current scroll name, I feel not having my old username listed somewhere might cause confusion for others.

(I honestly just want to get rid of my old name...)

As many people I've seen in help, over the years, request a possible name change, because stalkers/someone maliciously targeting them, I don't see the point of a name change if you can still be found from the old one.  (haven't seen it as much recently, which means players have either quit or made a new scroll themselves because the game didn't offer them protection in this way.  So, yes, you want to know if person x is also person y that was harassing you, but what if you are the victim whose trying to get away from that scenario?

Not that it affects me in way, This is the name I use everywhere, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

31 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

As many people I've seen in help, over the years, request a possible name change, because stalkers/someone maliciously targeting them, I don't see the point of a name change if you can still be found from the old one.  (haven't seen it as much recently, which means players have either quit or made a new scroll themselves because the game didn't offer them protection in this way.  So, yes, you want to know if person x is also person y that was harassing you, but what if you are the victim whose trying to get away from that scenario?

Not that it affects me in way, This is the name I use everywhere, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. 

See, in that scenario I'd honestly just make a new scroll and notify TJ of the circumstances so he knows I'm not trying to multi-scroll. I mean sure you'd lose whatever dragons you had, but if it's an actual stalker issue then safety is much more important. But I honestly feel like that's most likely a less common scenario then users who actually scam/harass others, who would use the username change in a malicious way. We need the username history to protect against harassment/scammers/etc... If a user is in such a position where they *need* to change their scroll name for safety reasons, whether or not there is username history it's probably safer to simply start a brand new scroll (I mean, if the person they want to hide from knows even one of their dragons it's not all that hard to find their scroll or at least access and kill their eggs....).

With a stalker issue - a really determined stalker will remember the name of a dragon and find you that way....