Starlessknight

Username change!

4 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

As with always, I'm more interested in why. Especially since you yourself say you wouldn't use this, why is having a redirect old names forever a requirement? I can see potential value in seeing the history, but I'd say of the name change requests I've gotten over the years, a bunch of them would be poorly-served by having the old name associated with them permanently.

I guess basically I said yes to permanent history mostly because most everyone else said this. A fairly long-term history (6 months or a year) would probably be long enough to allow people to see who the new name referred to, though. While I don't expect to use this, I can see its benefit for others, so I support the change.

I've wanted to change my scroll name for quite a while so I'd definitely like to see any form of this implemented. I think a temporary history would be best to lessen any confusion immediately after the change (and would prevent the trade scamming others were concerned about), but since people may have strong reasons for wanting to change their names and not want to be reminded of it, I don't think a history should be permanent. As far as reserving old names, I think they should be saved while the history is temporarily visible, again to mitigate potential confusion, then become available after the history is gone to not permanently lock out names.

On 2/16/2018 at 8:59 AM, TJ09 said:

While we're here, though...

Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?)

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? (the first post says yes)

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period.

• Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?) Yes and yes (but I think a redirect only for - say - six months, just for people who haven't seen you lately...) I think of people with outstanding IOUS from people they trust, who can't find you. I had a silver IOU that took almost a year, once... Permanent - to protect against scammers.
  • Permanent reservation of previous usernames? (the first post says yes) I think perhaps only the most recent one - then again, I wouldn't like someone else to take my old name and then I realise I want it back, so...(disclaimer - I don't want to change mine (the cat will remain memorialised !) so...)
  • Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period. Once per account I would be fine with. Once a year at an absolute minimum.
Edited by Fuzzbucket
A typo, followed by BEAUTY

27 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Permanent - to protect against scammers.

Not only scammers, but people with whom you do not want to trade (for various reasons) as well. If there is no permanent name history, then a function to block scrolls from trading with you regardless of the current name would be needed.

Edited by Rally Vincent

23 minutes ago, Rally Vincent said:

Not only scammers, but people with whom you do not want to trade (for various reasons) as well. If there is no permanent name history, then a function to block scrolls from trading with you regardless of the current name would be needed.

That too :)

Eh, I really dislike my scroll name at the moment, I literally made it when I was 12. I’m pretty sure most people have at least a few regrets about what they did when they were 12. :wacko:

I really don’t want to have to multi-scroll or anything just to get a different username...  I’m not here just to complain, though. If payment is implemented into name changing it could work like this:

• People could change their names once every certain time period for free, or once per account for free, but if they desire to change their names more often than the set amount there could be a fee involved. It works this way on Blizzard’s battle.net, for example...
  • Or people can be given the option to change their scroll names once and that’s it. Nothing after that and no payment to bypass it. Then it would be easier to use old scroll names to redirect to new ones.

Hope my input helps.  uwu

I'd definitely support a username change ability on the actual game. I finally gave in and changed my name here, and while I'm not totally sure I'd actually change my scroll name if I could, I would love to have the option. 

Answering TJ's questions:

Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?) YES, this is a must. Absolute must. There are scammers in this game, when it comes to trading, and also people who've simply treated you badly that you may want to avoid. Being able to erase all trace of your old username would be a wonderful way to be able to continue scamming and causing drama. Also, for people who aren't very active on the forums (or here at all), it would be really confusing and concerning to go check their scroll one day only to find their name no longer exists. 

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? I would say yes. I have no clue if it would be possible or wise to actually have an old username automatically redirect to the new one, but I definitely think old usernames should not be snag-able by someone else. That could create SO much drama, and could easily lead to innocent users getting very confused about why people don't want to trade with them or seem to not like them, when it's because they have the username of someone who was not exactly nice. 

Limits on usage Yeah, of course... I'd say once per year would be fine, or even once every two years or somesuch. Or maybe just '3 times ever' or something. There really is no valid reason to be constantly changing your username.

Gonna pop and say - I really don't want permanent redirect of old name to new one.

Here's why: if you pick up a malicious stalker....good LUCK mate. Picked up a viewbombing, they're just gonna find your new scroll that way. Picked up harassment and/or abusive stalker, they'll also find your new scroll that way. And before people yell hide your scroll!!!! at me.... People actually need to unhide their scrolls for awhile sometimes with certain play styles. Or you accidentally forget to hide your scroll.... (I can't reasonable on my one example further because it involves NDs, sorry.)

ETA: also, some aren't comfortable with having their scrolls posted publicly on lists flat-out intended for malicious purposes. So far only a viewbombing one I've seen, but I'd bet people would make ones for other reasons.

So, I support this WITHOUT a permanent username redirect, but WITH such and I say no support.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

We need to be able to see name history. Permanently. To protect from scamming traders. Sorry, but otherwise - no support from me.

I don't care one way or another about the redirecting old username to new one, but if this happens it *must* show a history of old usernames. Must. I understand the worry about stalkers/etc following you to your new username, but with no way to know who a new username actually is there is *way* too much potential for abuse. Trade scamming is high on that potential list... Someone who has a reputation for killing gifts or backing out of IOUs could just change their username and start doing it all over again and no one would know to avoid them.

6 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I don't care one way or another about the redirecting old username to new one, but if this happens it *must* show a history of old usernames. Must. I understand the worry about stalkers/etc following you to your new username, but with no way to know who a new username actually is there is *way* too much potential for abuse. Trade scamming is high on that potential list... Someone who has a reputation for killing gifts or backing out of IOUs could just change their username and start doing it all over again and no one would know to avoid them.

This very much. Even if the redirect didn't happen or was only temporary, we need the ability to see the history of usernames. We can see the username history on the forums, we should also see the history within the cave. Not only just for these reasons but also just so good, established players can still be recognized when trading and such.

Name history, if usernames are able to be changed someday, should be permanently viewable.

I am going to chime in here.  I am not going to change my name ever.  I have been xenolion on multiple boards far too long =)

Visible history or no?  Visible history - yes for visible even if it is just a list.  For the reasons stated by others.

However no for the permanent redirect.  Maybe set a time limit for trades and the like.

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? If there is going to be visible history this will be a must.  If you don't someone else can pick up the name and cause confusion.

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing.  I would say one time change only.  You don't want to open yourself up to anyone changing names like their underwear.  

Actually, I was only talking about the perma-redirect. I'm fine with a past username history, but NOT with a permanent link-redirection of old name->new name and scroll. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: I do think visible history would be best either as a simple name list or maybe a clickable link, personally.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Trade scamming is high on that potential list... Someone who has a reputation for killing gifts or backing out of IOUs could just change their username and start doing it all over again and no one would know to avoid them.

I agree wholeheartedly. I haven’t had any experience with trade scammers myself, so I apologize for failing to mention it in my post.

It just didn’t come to mind.

But I do agree with looking out for others’ safety, so I am in support of a permanently viewable change history. Additionally, now that I think about it permanent redirects from old are kind of useless. IMHO temporary ones at most. 

(If I mess up in any way in formatting of posts I apologize, I’ve only been on the forum for a few weeks.) really i’m sorry pls don’t yell at me

Edit: By the by no pressure on TJ to make this a thing so soon. My boyfriend is an admin for an art server so I know it can be stressful to keep changing and changing things. Take your time!!

Edited by Cypurress

9 hours ago, xenolion said:

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? If there is going to be visible history this will be a must.  If you don't someone else can pick up the name and cause confusion.

Absolutely agree.

I think it's important to protect people from viewbombers and make scammers known. However, I think the only way to make both things possible is permanently showing name history without a redirect from previous usernames. I know that some willl have trouble finding certain people, but most trading happens through the forum anyway now that EATW is gone. We also have a thread dedicated to finding those people who have changed their names/names you can't remember/etc. And on the other hand, scammers will always have a public list of past names that can be checked before accepting a trade. 

15 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

I think it's important to protect people from viewbombers and make scammers known. However, I think the only way to make both things possible is permanently showing name history without a redirect from previous usernames. I know that some willl have trouble finding certain people, but most trading happens through the forum anyway now that EATW is gone. We also have a thread dedicated to finding those people who have changed their names/names you can't remember/etc. And on the other hand, scammers will always have a public list of past names that can be checked before accepting a trade. 

This I like. No redirect period is nice, and I think rather good points are made about the forum threads. 

On 2/27/2018 at 6:10 PM, DuskOfTheStars said:

Actually, I was only talking about the perma-redirect. I'm fine with a past username history, but NOT with a permanent link-redirection of old name->new name and scroll. Sorry for the confusion.

Edit: I do think visible history would be best either as a simple name list or maybe a clickable link, personally.

A bit like how it works on the forums here might do, actually.

You click on the history icon by the name on my profile, for instance and up pops a history informing you that before January 5th I went by the name of Silverswift on the forums and on the fifth I changed it to the name I have now. Simple and easy to understand...and to find, too, if you know where to look. I think a system like that could be applied to scroll names also.

As for why? Sometimes people get tired of a name. Sometimes, as some have said, the reason is less pleasant.

Either way... provided steps are taken to avoid abuse one way and another, i don't see any harm.

I don't HATE my current scroll name. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to the option to change it(match my forum name maybe?). I think probably my preference would be history listed yes, permanent redirect, nope, for reasons others have listed. Someone just might have had pressing reasons for a name change but we don't want to enable scammers either. With those limits in place, I'd say I would be fine with the idea. I don't see why it might not be fun or in some cases even helpful.

Edited by JavaTigress

I haven’t changed my forum username simply because I want it to match my scroll name. If scroll name changes were implemented, I would be eternally grateful so that this username can match my other usernames. ^^

As for TJ’s questions:

I think visible history is a must. People in the thread have already emphasized the necessity of a way to track scammers. However, I think a redirect is unnecessary, as, like people above have said, with the closure of EATW, most trading occurs on the forums.

Permanent reservation of previous usernames?

Due to my opinions on limits (see below), I believe that the previous usernames should be permanantly reserved. This will save confusion if someone decided to take the name of an old scammer or a moderator or artist who changed their scroll name.

Limits on usage?:

There absolutely needs to be enforced limits- I’m of the opinion that there should be 3 or 4 scroll name changes allowed, with a waiting period (3 months? 6 months? A year?) between each one.

On another note, there should absolutely be confirmation when it comes to choosing a new username. That’s granted, but I know that if this is implemented, there are inevitably going to be people who make mistakes changing their username. A confirmation page (or multiple) is the best way to reduce the amount of accidental or mistake name chanes to a minimum.

I have changed my username here on the forums and would like to do so on the main site, too.

Yes to both, to avoid scammers.

Yes, in case someone changes their mind and wants their old username back.

Limits on usage?:

Yes, but maybe like 3 months so that you wouldn't have to wait half a year or an entire year to fix a typo.

Definitely agree that visible history is a must, for the reasons others have outlined. :) Same with permanent reservation of previous usernames. It would be pretty awkward and potentially very confusing if people changed their usernames and then someone else immediately took the same one. 

I think a 3-4 limit on changes is more than enough. If there's a total number limit, I don't think a lengthy between time wait is really necessary. If there's an overall limit, I do think it's really important for that to be displayed in the change username page so people (especially new members) are aware of how many changes remain. When you are down to your last change, a warning in red or something that "you only have one username change remaining/the username you pick will become your permanent username/you will not be able to change your username again" will be important. Likewise, perhaps it might be worthwhile having two fields to fill in for a new username (like when you change passwords) to confirm that it's exactly how you want it. This would alleviate the potential issue of typos mentioned above.

I'd love to change the scroll name of my main scroll, as the old name has super bad memory connotations for me (which is why I don't have it publicly linked). I'm completely okay with a visible username history too, and perhaps a limit. I don't see a reason for anyone to change their scroll more than three times. Definitely support!

Yes, please. Like some, I made my account ten years ago when I was a teenager so I would appreciate a change. Beyond that, my personal stake in this is that I have an asterisk in my scroll name (that used to be possible but now isn't), and while I try to appreciate that "special snowflake" status, mostly it's just a damn nuisance because it makes half the external DC-related things (some hatcheries, the purple banner thingy, scroll registering on the DC discord) dysfunctional for me.

Most people seem to agree on the limitations and such but here are my 2 cents:

Permanent visible history seems essential to me, as many have said, to prevent anyone from impersonating someone else if they have changed their scroll name. Redirect seems a bit unnecessary though, if you really need to find someone you can ask on the forums, it's remarkably efficient.

As I believe there should be few scroll changes allowed, I don't see any disadvantage to permanent reservation of usernames and while mine could never be taken (because of the aforementioned asterisk) I believe many people would be uncomfortable with someone taking their old scroll name.

Limits on usage?:

Absolutely! I don't really think there needs to be a "delay" (such as change only every 3/6/12 months) but probably an overall cap, 2-3 username changes at the most. In order for people not to complain that they've hit that limit and now they're stuck with a typo boohoo, the scroll name change should probably have its own page with a clear indication of how many changes you have left and that these changes do not refill, and of course it should require a password entry. (For instance, there would be an extra line in Account Settings for Scroll Name Change but instead of just filling it in right there, on what is already a very cluttered page, there's a button "Change Scroll Name", which takes you to a dedicated page saying something along the lines of "You have three (3) scroll name changes left" and underneath that a password field and a New Scroll Name field (or perhaps even a Confirm New Scroll Name field to avoid typos as well?). When you click confirm, a popup would come up (like when you trade and it asks you to confirm bc it's IRREVERSIBLE or something), saying "If you change your Scroll Name, you will have two (2) scroll name changes left; this quota cannot be refilled in any way. Confirm?" or something to that effect.

As one who wasn't to change my scroll-name, I support and will answer inquiries to give my two cents, even if it's a little late. And not very informative...

I think yes. So you know who you are dealing with. And those of trade scammers as I've heard. I've not dealt with the problem, personally, so I have no strong opinions on this.

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? (the first post says yes)

Yes. So someone doesn't pretend to be you, or someone else for that matter.  I think doing something like Deviant Art, where it redirects to your current username is a good idea, since it'll be linked anyway.

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period.
I think once a year after implementation is a good limit. And then, a year cool-down after changing once.
Honestly, I just want to change my scroll-name once. now that I have a name for myself online, I want it to be what I'm known as. Not my place-holder.

I do understand how that could cause more bandwidth issues though, saving all the old username and files/redirects... but I don't know to what extent, since I'm not savvy in that area.