Starlessknight

Username change!

I made this account a long time ago. I have a lot of progress and I have no intention of leaving. But the thing is, when I made this account years ago, I chose a username when I was younger but... now I just don't like it. It doesn't fit with me (also this is more of a personal issue but this username is really old and it has a lot of memories with it, some of them are bad and I rather have a new username and start fresh)

i think it would be a really cool idea to be able to change the username for your scroll, but only be able to change it every 6 months or so? So people aren't constantly changing it. Also when you type someone's old username, it automatically directs you to the person's scroll with their updated username

its just an idea but I think it would be really nice :) I love this game but I wish I could change my username because I just really don't like it and I made it when I was younger 

any and all feedback would be appreciated! I would love if we could pitch in and try to make this happen!

(I couldn't find any topic similar to this one, so I apologize if someone suggested it already)

I don't know if you are aware, but you can change your forum user name, now. I think TJ has intentions of making it possible to change scroll names in the future, but there is no particular time frame set for that at present.

Yes I did mean scroll names, not forum names!!!! But I didn't know he had intentions of making it possible. Thank you for the info! Hopefully it's soon bc I would love to change my scroll name!

You aren't alone. A lot of people feel that way. He used to do it on a case by case basis, but I guess he got enough requests to decide to make it a thing. It's just there is no way of knowing how far into the future it may be happening.

I would legit pay money to be able to change my scroll name right now. (I did so on deviantART, paid for a Core membership for just one month JUST to be able to change my username)

I'm not sure I would pay for it, but I would greatly appreciate it. My username was my handle years ago and I don't go by it anymore so having the ability to change it would be excellent.

I wouldn't change my scroll name if it cost money, but I wouldn't mind having the ability to change my scroll name, if ever available for free.

8 hours ago, Fabula said:

I would legit pay money to be able to change my scroll name right now. (I did so on deviantART, paid for a Core membership for just one month JUST to be able to change my username)

I hope it would never involve actual money. One thing I love about this place is that it is a totally level playing field. No-one can get anything at all that isn't available to everyone on the exact same basis. Money would change that. Sure a name change woudln't give a game advantage (except to a few scammers) but charging for it could be the thin end of a very long wedge.

36 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I hope it would never involve actual money. One thing I love about this place is that it is a totally level playing field. No-one can get anything at all that isn't available to everyone on the exact same basis. Money would change that. Sure a name change woudln't give a game advantage (except to a few scammers) but charging for it could be the thin end of a very long wedge.

In no way am I saying expressing support for or against the idea of it costing money to change usernames, but if you agree with the claim that username changing doesn't have much (if any) impact on the game, then being against paid username changes because it could lead to other things that cost money is a slippery slope fallacy, no?

This is one of those long-standing ideas that's been a "someday" thing for along time now. It's never been a big priority precisely because of it's little-to-no gameplay impact, which leaves it squarely still in "someday" territory.

While we're here, though...

Visible history or no? (And: permanently visible history or no?)

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? (the first post says yes)

Limits on usage would definitely be a thing (And longer than the forums). Possibly even once-per-account, period.

MUST have visible history, because of scamming traders. Just like ebay.

34 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

In no way am I saying expressing support for or against the idea of it costing money to change usernames, but if you agree with the claim that username changing doesn't have much (if any) impact on the game, then being against paid username changes because it could lead to other things that cost money is a slippery slope fallacy, no?

I don't feel thin ends of wedges aren't quite the same as slippery slopes, actually, but I agree it gives no game play advantage.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The old name could be visible for, say, a year or half a year or so and then disappear from visibility, to eventually save its old owner from embarrassment of childhood decisions.

I feel like @Fabula only mentioned the money thing to express just how desperate they were to have scroll name changes implemented. Personally I feel like, we were allowed forum name changes, so why not scroll name changes? I’m sure people would be really happy for the option to have their new desired forum name match their scroll name, so I really support the suggestion. Without it costing money. Level playing field - as a poor poor uni student, I would not be happy about paying. 

1 minute ago, RealWilliamShakespeare said:

I feel like @Fabula only mentioned the money thing to express just how desperate they were to have scroll name changes implemented.

^This exactly. I could have probably worded it better, but today's not been the best day for me emotionally as we had to put my dog down, I haven't been thinking too much on my wording like I do normally before posting. I am sorry for ruffling any feathers by my poor choice in wording. I really am just desperate to change my username, plain and simple.

More on topic and in response to TJ's posted questions.
Visible history or no?: Yes. Not only to prevent scammers, as @Fuzzbucket stated, but also just so everyone knows who it is instead of thinking they don't know the scroll owner.
Permanently visible history or no? Yes, again, for the above stated reasons.
Permanent reservation of previous usernames? Also yes. Like the OP stated, so typing someone's old username automatically directs you to the person's scroll with their updated username.

And lastly as for limits, I absolutely agree there should be. I would even think once per account is perfectly acceptable. ^_^

Oh, I would love to change my scroll name to match my Forum name again! 

I agree with all of these answers:

54 minutes ago, Fabula said:

Visible history or no?: Yes. Not only to prevent scammers, as @Fuzzbucket stated, but also just so everyone knows who it is instead of thinking they don't know the scroll owner.
Permanently visible history or no? Yes, again, for the above stated reasons.
Permanent reservation of previous usernames? Also yes. Like the OP stated, so typing someone's old username automatically directs you to the person's scroll with their updated username.

And lastly as for limits, I absolutely agree there should be. I would even think once per account is perfectly acceptable. ^_^

I agree

YES to history

YES to permanently visible history

YES to reservations of previous user names

YES to limits, though I'm not sure about once per scroll. Certainly 3 or fewer per scroll.

It's not something I have any present interest in using. I have been "raindear" everywhere I use a username for 30+ years and don't foresee wanting to change. Now, if I had started using computers/user names at a time when I thought I might like to be "PinkyFluffyBear" ...Well I can see wanting to change it. So I can see the usefulness of this idea. I can also see that due to the youth of some players a second name change might become a thing as well. So I'm not sure about the once per scroll limit, but I am sure there should be a (fairly low) limit

Edited by raindear
clarity

16 minutes ago, raindear said:

I agree

YES to history

YES to limits, though I'm not sure about once per scroll. Certainly 3 or fewer per scroll.

Agree with all these terms.

I actually would have loved to change my scroll name a few years ago because it embarrassed me, but honestly? Kinda grown on me :P So it’s something I know lots will appreciate and have a use for.

What if every user could request a username change once every 2-4 years for free.  Users who want to change their name more often could pay a fee.  That way anyone who really needs to have a name change gets the chance, while people who just enjoy having "vanity" names that change every season can pay for the privilege.

I know a lot of the userbase is absolutely against paid privileges, and understandably.  But there are some users here who have jobs and income and would like to help support the site in a way that feels personally rewarding (and blocking ads isn't all that rewarding IMO, since the effect is only month-by-month and you can easily get the same result with an adblocker).  We don't want perks that affect dragon collecting, special events, or other parts of the gameplay.  This is one of the few possible perks that shouldn't have an effect on gameplay. 

Agree to keeping usernames locked to a scroll, UNLESS (if the paid username change goes into effect) someone is changing their name constantly as a way to permanently hoard usernames.  I can imagine someone doing that.

Username history? Definitely!

Old username redirection? Yes!! 

Limits? Well of course!! I like the idea of once a year maybe? Or every 8 months? 

But i don't think we should pay money? I think we should definitely have limits but I don't think it's necessary to pay money for it but that's just me

anyway im glad we're getting so much feedback on it!!!! 

Visible history or no? Yes.

Permanent reservation of previous usernames? Yes.

Limits? I like an idea of a once a year change. I don't like the limit of only once, but a longer span between could work fine too!

1 hour ago, Cielmuir said:

Agree to keeping usernames locked to a scroll, UNLESS (if the paid username change goes into effect) someone is changing their name constantly as a way to permanently hoard usernames.  I can imagine someone doing that.

With your idea, the simplest solution would probably be keep the last 3-5 usernames and maybe your first, since most people can't/won't change it more often anyway.

5 hours ago, raindear said:

YES to history

As with always, I'm more interested in why. Especially since you yourself say you wouldn't use this, why is having a redirect old names forever a requirement? I can see potential value in seeing the history, but I'd say of the name change requests I've gotten over the years, a bunch of them would be poorly-served by having the old name associated with them permanently.