Imago

ANSWERED:Ads not displaying

For some time now, I have noticed that Dragon Cave is not displaying ads for me anymore. There is just a scroll-colored box where they are supposed to be:

image.png.2e7386d494818d67dba566a70a7db0ff.png

On the forums, there aren't any ads either. Today, I got the "please buy a subscription" banner for the first time in the AP. I'd really love to support DC by having ads display for me and I have no iea why they don't.

- I use the newest version of Firefox (58.0.2 64-bit).

- I have an ad blocker installed (uBlock), but it's turned off on Dragon Cave. Even disabling it completely doesn't help.

- Completely disabling all of my addons doesn't help either.

- Clearing my cache and deleting my cookies doesn't help.

- Completely turning off my antivirus's web protection results in the site displaying the "please buy a subscription" banners.

- There apparently is a built-in tracking protection in Firefox which might suppress ads. However, it only activates in private windows which I don't use and the shield icon that displays when it is running is not displayed when I am on DC.

I'm quite sure that Firefox is doing something nasty, because on Chrome everything displays fine. However, I am a creature of habit and I'd hate to switch my browser which I have been using for years. Any ideas what else I could try to solve this? :(

I am on firefox, using uBlock, and I don't see that. If I disable it, I see the cats.

I use Firefox, with Adblock Plus enabled and I see the ads for getting a subscription. If I disable ABP, I see animated ads for random stuff. I've never seen that blank box where the ads should be?

I actually have the same thing, am on Safari and my ABP is turned off for DC. I don't think I have seen an actual ad there since I came back around Halloween... I do see the "please pay for subscription" if I turn ABP back on. Don't have an antivirus installed(fearless MacOS user here). So I can only say that it's not just Firefox doing that

I am on Firefox with Adblock Plus disabled and see the ads just fine. So I don't think it is Firefox doing it.

Although I will say that either yesterday or Sunday I did get the ad subscription message, which I was surprised to see, but which only happened once during all my activity on the main site.

Edited by purplehaze

I just did a clean install of Firefox (though I kept my settings) and I still don't see any ads.

I've actually been having this issue as well, though it seems to come and go. I'm using the latest Chrome, I have an adblocker (uBlock Origin) but it is turned off on both the forums and the main site. I've noticed while refreshing the biomes (that's the only time I really notice the ad space), sometimes an ad will appear just fine, but often it will be just a blank space exactly like the picture in the OP. In fact it's happening right now on the main cave page, I've refreshed several times and it's just the blank space where the ad should be. 

Oh yes, it's the same for me actually. I just saw a lonely ad on the forums, but it disappeared when I switched topics. Similarly, I will rarely see the "buy subscription" banner in the cave, but in the vast majority of cases, it's just the blank box.

Maybe that means that currently not enough ads are being served by the adserver?

But when I come online in Chrome, there are tons of ads and only rarely a blank box.

Chrome - no contest :)

But that's OK - I hate it and only use it on sites where firefox says I would be unwise to go and I know they are OK :lol:

Alright. Deleting all of my Firefox cookies instead of just the Dragon Cave related cookies helped, I see the ads again now. Didn't think my last full browser-cleanup was so long ago. I am still confused why DC gave me the "please buy a subscription" banners before, because my ad blocker has always been switched off for DC. It actually is set to only block pop-ups and video ads which DC doesn't have anyway.

Anyway, the issue has been resolved for me. Thanks for your input! :)