Jazeki

Transparency in DC

8 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Again, while I’m annoyed I’m not losing sleep over this, I’m really not. DC is not worth losing sleep over. But at the SAME TIME, it’s sad to see these problems that go on and on and on in a game I’ve enjoyed for a decade. Very well known users, artists, and moderators are leaving. That shows something is wrong.

Devil's advocate - as I do think something is wrong here - I don't actually think that is why most of the people who are leaving are leaving. The people in this thread, for instance, are hacked off - but haven't left. I am on other forums. People do move on. It's part of life. And certainly in my other forums - they left "just because" - no other reason; no underlying anything - they had just moved on. I have left other forums and games just because I had kind of outgrown them. It happens.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Devil's advocate - as I do think something is wrong here - I don't actually think that is why most of the people who are leaving are leaving. The people in this thread, for instance, are hacked off - but haven't left. I am on other forums. People do move on. It's part of life. And certainly in my other forums - they left "just because" - no other reason; no underlying anything - they had just moved on. I have left other forums and games just because I had kind of outgrown them. It happens.

Oh trust me Fuzz, I know some people just leave. When I try to describe DC to people it honestly sounds pretty boring, haha, and makes me wonder why /I/ don’t leave! (I won’t of course, love me fictional dragon babies).

But you also have highly active users (not thinking of people in this thread) and Sock and some spriters leaving not because of disinterest, but because of actual legit problems with how the site is run. So you are right that many leave just because, but many prominent people have left because of something more. 

Edit: lmao I’m having insomnia and writing when I should be asleep and switched the order of two words. Maybe I am losing sleep over this after all?!! :PXD 

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

2 hours ago, Alrexwolf said:

Kila's request was that scrolls with alts are alt locked, and scrolls with no alts are not. The way it has been. TJ suddenly decides to fix what was the spriter's wish to begin with by not fixing it, instead breaking it and creating a new mess where he might not even be able to fix it (as some people have both types of CB) at this point. 

And in his latest post, he says he and Kila are in agreement!!!  Well, which is it?  TJ says we don't ask for clarification.  Well--let's have some.

Very important note: IN THIS POST AM NOT REFERRING TO ALL SPRITERS. The majority of them are kind, gentle and very amazing people that did an amazing job to contribute to everyone's fun and don't feel entitled of anything. Only a couple truly bothered me, but i am just saying "spriters" and not giving out names because I am not here to flame, I am here to underline an essential problem of DC trasparency. I believe there is the chance to free speak into this game, I hope I don't need to be censored because a few grown and adult people can't take a criticism over their fragile shoulders.

I want to be very transparent on MY feelings aswell.

TJ, first of all I owe you some apologies. I didn't realize you are NOT the 100 % owner of this game.

Spirters have a very big and consistent decision power on how this game should evolve and work. They can apparently decide the mechanics of the game, BSA,  breeding, rating, rarity, basically everything that involves how the game works, and not only how the game looks. They have more decision power than moderators and administrators who helps TJ through everyday's life in the forum discussion and topics. I can tell no more that TJ has not been clear and transparent with us, because it is clear that he has his hands tied in many topics regarding dragons of his own site.

I honestly don't understand why someone who created an amazing sprite, core of the game, should have the privilege to say how this sprite will influence the entire game for all the other 12000 users who play. I get it, I get: you created an amazing and wonderful pixel art dragon that we truly appreciated and you gave it for free to this game. Thank you, no irony intended here.

The site relases a special ALT sprites to show gratitude That belongs just to that Spriter?: FAIR TO ME

They get an unique Trophy color?: FAIR TO ME

They can decide to later change the aspect dragon sprite either by graphic update or background description?: FAIR TO ME

They can retire their work from the site if there are valid reason discussed with TJ?: FAIR TO ME

They can feel superior and bossy everyone else who dares to talk to them and treat them like poor children? They can decide to simply ignore the basic collecting standards of DC and with their decision heavily influence the game mechanics because they could simply blackmail TJ with the sprite retirement?: NOT FAIR TO ME

The last point is pretty much self-explanatory: if DC's owner that is TJ has not control over how the game should work we are pretty much done. I don't know how Artist agreement completely looks like, but honestly I feel like some people are creating the dragon sprites only to have a "social status" on a pixel game.

Entire treads full of reasonable suggestions, very in-deep analysis and stuff have been shutted down by a simple: "No because i said no" . Not even children replies like that FFS.

The problem here is that that kind of answer it doesn't come from TJ, but from a part of the userbase (aka spriters) that think to be much greater and in control of the game than everyone else. They are so much in control indeed that they think they can insult and still decide in-game mechanics that are NOT related on how the sprite should look (which is the only contribute they were called for in the beginning).

I felt insulted, diminished, ignored and made fun of by a couple of dragon' Spriters. I REPEAT: not all of them are like this, I said "spriters" because i don't want to start point fingers or anything.

I also feel like I have no right to report them at all because I would be: assaulted, ignored, censored and reported. Assaulted by the rest of the userbase, scared that the mighty dragon spriter could be offended and retire his sprite. Ignored by the Dragon Spriter, becaus she/he knows I have no power whatsoever to actually defend my position since I don't contribute to game myself as Spriter or Mod. Censored by the Mods who would only see this as a rage-post and would try to avoid the inevitable high tones that will born from a valid criticism. Reported by those few who prefer to worship them to be in their grace instead of actually point out a problem for the community.

Transparency is about to say the reality of things. TJ has his hands tied on many aspect of the game because a random dude who created and "gave" his dragon pixel drawing to him acts not only like he is the owner of the dragon sprite, but of the game itself. I believe that many trasparency issues were also created due the fact the TJ didn't want to poke or annoy the Mighty Dragon Spriter who could have felt outrageously insulted and who had the power of reting the dragon sprite, going over him thanks to his copyright power. This may have lead him to simply avoid the problem just to not make it worse. 

I would honestly like if banner of sponsor are much more frequent to game, so TJ can have more money from us viewing them and actually BUY the dragon sprites that are released into the game. This would solve all the copyright issues, since the dragon would ultimately belong to him. Sadly it just takes 1% of the Spriters to abuse of their power to make problems for everyone else.

Edited by Naruhina_94
NOT "RULE", i meant "standard"

1 minute ago, Brekke said:

And in his latest post, he says he and Kila are in agreement!!!  Well, which is it?  TJ says we don't ask for clarification.  Well--let's have some.

In agreement about no broader release.

I still think people are mistaking Kila’s suggestion that scroll lock is best as her adamantly demanding it.

40 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Arias and frills never should have retired at all.

Arias and Frills were removed at artist request and eventually replaced by artist request.

5 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

In agreement about no broader release.

I still think people are mistaking Kila’s suggestion that scroll lock is best as her adamantly demanding it.

Thanks--but I'd really like to hear that from him.

This is exactly what he, himself, posted about.  Everyone takes a shot at interpreting what he says.  Well--let him come and say it.

@raindear true, but what I’m getting at is that many of the game’s best improvements are just fixes to unfortunate things from long ago, or things that should have been done years ago. They are improvements, yes... but not in the same vein as something new like a shop would be.

@Naruhina_94 lol, mighty dragon  spriter! XD I understand your point completely. However I think most of the spriters who acted so are gone now. My bigger concern is things TJ can do himself (the shop, better zombie turn rates, accurate cooldown timers, fixing how common breeding works, etc), which have nothing to do with the art (although in a way they have everything :P). Although again I feel you, as an artist myself I feel things given to a game should defer to what’s best for the game, so long as it isn’t blatantly abusing that right (ie selling merchandise of them without permission). But the thing is, even with paid ownership, TJ would probably defer to artist wishes to avoid causing anger. I don’t know what the solution there is, sadly, so I’m going to focus on the user interaction part.

7 minutes ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

@Naruhina_94 lol, mighty dragon  spriter! XD I understand your point completely. However I think most of the spriters who acted so are gone now. My bigger concern is things TJ can do himself (the shop, better zombie turn rates, accurate cooldown timers, fixing how common breeding works, etc), which have nothing to do with the art (although in a way they have everything :P). Although again I feel you, as an artist myself I feel things given to a game should defer to what’s best for the game, so long as it isn’t blatantly abusing that right (ie selling merchandise of them without permission). But the thing is, even with paid ownership, TJ would probably defer to artist wishes to avoid causing anger. I don’t know what the solution there is, sadly, so I’m going to focus on the user interaction part.

I understand what you mean but think this for example of what I am saying.

How would you feel if the higher chances to get a zombie are left to the zombie's Spriter?

How would you feel if TJ has to ask to every single dragon spriter their permission to make those dragons available into an in-game shop before actually do it?

Sadly even if most of them have gone the sprites keep belonging to them, therefore we still have to contact them for everything regarding the dragon. I would like if their opinion only influenced how the sprite looks, not how the sprite interacts with other dragons / users.

Edited by Naruhina_94

9 hours ago, angelicdragonpuppy said:

Oh trust me Fuzz, I know some people just leave. When I try to describe DC to people it honestly sounds pretty boring, haha, and makes me wonder why /I/ don’t leave! (I won’t of course, love me fictional dragon babies).

But you also have highly active users (not thinking of people in this thread) and Sock and some spriters leaving not because of disinterest, but because of actual legit problems with how the site is run. So you are right that many leave just because, but many prominent people have left because of something more.

Sock - absolutely. Some spriters - true. On the other hand I have dragged a few new platers in just by showing them my scroll ;)

9 hours ago, Brekke said:

Well, yeah. I am actually past caring, but the two do not match.

9 hours ago, Brekke said:

Thanks--but I'd really like to hear that from him.

This is exactly what he, himself, posted about.  Everyone takes a shot at interpreting what he says.  Well--let him come and say it.

Yup.

I honestly don't understand why someone who created an amazing sprite, core of the game, should have the privilege to say how this sprite will influence the entire game for all the other 12000 users who play.

I think it's perfectly fine. We need artists. If the site is not OK with letting them call the shots on their own art - we may end up not having any. There are vanishingly few sprites whose influence is actually game-breaking.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I am actually past caring

Me, too.  The issue for me now is not the sweetlings at all.  In some ways it never was, for me personally.  For me the issue is indeed transparency and how the owner of a sprite-collecting website treats the people who collect sprites.

Edited by Brekke

So I've debated saying something or not and, against my better judgement, I will.  Do understand that I am not responding out of a place of being offended or anything and will try to stick to facts vs emotion.

@Naruhina_94 So I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but you are grossly overestimating the power that spriters have.  At the start, I do acknowledge that some spriters have abused their standing in the past, but I also think that it's gotten much better, especially over the past few years.  I want to break down a few points to hopefully cut down on any misinformation, please don't misinterpret this post as an attack in any way - I just hope to provide some clarity.

Spirters have a very big and consistent decision power on how this game should evolve and work. They can apparently decide the mechanics of the game, BSA,  breeding, rating, rarity, basically everything that involves how the game works, and not only how the game looks.

I have zero definitive say in any game mechanics.  When I am submitting a concept I can suggest a rarity, for example, but I do not decide (nor do I want to).  I would really love some sourcing on this claim.

The last point is pretty much self-explanatory: if DC's owner that is TJ has not control over how the game should work we are pretty much done. I don't know how Artist agreement completely looks like, but honestly I feel like some people are creating the dragon sprites only to have a "social status" on a pixel game.

TJ has complete control of how the game works.  He has always, and will always, have the final say/approval, and I think that's the way it should be.

They are so much in control indeed that they think they can insult and still decide in-game mechanics that are NOT related on how the sprite should look (which is the only contribute they were called for in the beginning).

I'd really love sourcing on this, especially recently (post contract).

Transparency is about to say the reality of things. TJ has his hands tied on many aspect of the game because a random dude who created and "gave" his dragon pixel drawing to him acts not only like he is the owner of the dragon sprite, but of the game itself. I believe that many trasparency issues were also created due the fact the TJ didn't want to poke or annoy the Mighty Dragon Spriter who could have felt outrageously insulted and who had the power of reting the dragon sprite, going over him thanks to his copyright power. This may have lead him to simply avoid the problem just to not make it worse. 

Again I'd love some sourcing on this claim.  TJ's hands are not tied in any way what so ever, and I think that is globally acknowledged among the spriters.  I'm not going to go into the nuts and bolts of the contract but it really doesn't work like "TJ take my stuff down" and 20 minutes later the whole breed is off the site.  TJ has stated that the contract is only related to the art rights and not the breed/concept.

How would you feel if the higher chances to get a zombie are left to the zombie's Spriter?

How would you feel if TJ has to ask to every single dragon spriter their permission to make those dragons available into an in-game shop before actually do it?

Sadly even if most of them have gone the sprites keep belonging to them, therefore we still have to contact them for everything regarding the dragon. I would like if their opinion only influenced how the sprite looks, not how the sprite interacts with other dragons / users.

I'm not sure if this is hyperbole or not, but this is so grossly untrue.  It's not the way it works at all.  The way is works currently is that our opinion is only regarding the sprite and even then we need TJs approval to do something like a sprite update.

Again, this post isn't a personal attack, but if you are going to make such conjecture, at least back it up with quality sourcing and fact.  Because posts like this are how fallacy and rumours start.

Edited by Corteo
typo

18 minutes ago, Corteo said:

Again, this post isn't a personal attack, but if you are going to make such conjecture, at least back it up with quality sourcing and fact.  Because posts like this are how fallacy and rumours start.

Thanks Corteo. That is all VERY helpful, and you are spot on about misinformation making things worse.

2 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Thanks Corteo. That is all VERY helpful, and you are spot on about misinformation making things worse.

+1, I had no real way to respond and was hoping someone more eloquent would.

Edited by Brekke

@Corteo I have no problem doing so, but it is very highly to sound like a direct attack from me that reveals the single 2-3 users I am talking about, which leads to more debate and distract from the topic :(.  I appreciate you're analyzing my post calmly, I understand your questions since you're a spriter yourself and may feel involved in what I said (even if u aren't ;) ). I will even mention a couple of artist that I personally consider very good user and I have no beef about! they are just examples, I don't mean they feel entitled or did bad stuff like insulting.

2 hours ago, Corteo said:

I have zero definitive say in any game mechanics.  When I am submitting a concept I can suggest a rarity, for example, but I do not decide (not do I want to).  I would really love some sourcing on this claim.

This claim has an example on Solstices. When we find out that 2nd gen would have been different from CBs It looked like it was only because of Odeen's kindness that we got the chance to have them breed normally, TJ seemed to let her choose over that, he backed off from deciding on his own or on what the users were suggesting/politely discussing. Again, this was my impression. I am really thankful to Odeen to have taken that decision and it simply shows how much she cares about good feelings and good atmosphere about the game, but this is a decision I would have liked TJ alone to take. 

TJ has complete control of how the game works.  He has always, and will always, have the final say/approval, and I think that's the way it should be.

Nice we agree on it should. Seeing Frilled retired for years over a debate seemed like Tj was bound to not offend in any way the frilled spriter. Don't get me wrong: I wasn't even playing yet when this happened, however I strongly dislike how she was insulted etc. Maybe a drastical retirement was what is was needed. However I would have like if TJ could have solved the frilled extinction issues without having to ask her permission, for example by simply removing it entirely and get a new sprite with even a new name (like old pink did). Once again the Spriter was really kind and she changed her mind years later, but I hope you understand that I can't be relaxed if decisions like this would entirely depend on an artist's kindness ;)

I'd really love sourcing on this, especially recently (post contract).

In this post I felt quite insulted, because yeah, I have no very good reason besides the fact that I like to "whine" ........

In this post, related to the sweetling debate of course. "They are my babies and I don't care about what the majority of users think." -> is not the same of saying "I think it should be left to TJ to decide". It is shameful of us we haven't tried to contact her enough. It is shameful of us for asking TJ and not her.

Again I'd love some sourcing on this claim.  TJ's hands are not tied in any way what so ever, and I think that is globally acknowledged among the spriters.  I'm not going to go into the nuts and bolts of the contract but it really doesn't work like "TJ take my stuff down" and 20 minutes later the whole breed is off the site.  TJ has stated that the contract is only related to the art rights and not the breed/concept.

That's why I said "I believe". I can't be sure about how it works, I wrote that. This suspect of mine is just enlighten when I see that for every small thing (like adding a BSA or creating an Hybrid) the common user firmly believes he has to ask the Spriter of the dragons involved. Not TJ. 

I'm not sure if this is hyperbole or not, but this is so grossly untrue.  It's not the way it works at all.  The way is works currently is that our opinion is only regarding the sprite and even then we need TJs approval to do something like a sprite update.

This was an hyperbole, I know this is not how it works, it was just to make an example, as I said, of how sometimes priorities about permission are conceived. I do belive that many users, in order to oppose certain suggestions, strongly believe it is up to Spriters and not to TJ to decide. It happened when we were still discussing if OLD Holidays should be re-relased in cave for example 

I hope I answered your question and I hope I didn't offended anybody. I don't have beef towards Odeen of Lythiaren, I hope it is clear. My words are just the reflection of how I personally saw this game work in the past 10 years. I'm aware that things actually improved a lot lately, but that also brought us to see clearer even some of the long ignored big stains.

I think it's perfectly fine. We need artists. If the site is not OK with letting them call the shots on their own art - we may end up not having any. There are vanishingly few sprites whose influence is actually game-breaking.

@Fuzzbucket  So you're saying we should let artists say whatever they want and even deciding stuff because otherwise we don't get any art? mhm. I believe there are good people and good artists that understood the spirit of the game and the importance of backing off in stuff that are not up to them. I want to praise them by opposing to those who don't.

Edited by Naruhina_94
grammar mistake

Well, in many ways, I think that Naruhina has a point. Or several. (@Corteo: You probably were already there for the debacle with Dove, weren't you? Personally, I only have secondhand information, but from what I heard, it was... not pretty.)

When a sprite update is discussed, it's usually the artists who get a say in whether they do it, someone else could do it or even who is allowed to do it. For example, as far as I remember, Kila was the only person who was allowed to work on the female Geode by permission of their original spriter. (Or, to quote from one particular artist's permission form: "In regards to sprite updates: If I ever go inactive and the question of updating my sprites comes up, *only* in-cave artists are given automatic permission to edit.")

If we want to suggest hybrid dragon, we're supposed to contact the artists for permission to do so.

Q: Can I suggest a hybrid of two dragons?

A: Yes. It is considered a courtesy to contact the artists/conceptors - see the Artist Permissions Topic for the best way to contact them or any specific notes they have; you can find the artist at the bottom of the view page for the dragon - and let them know your idea. They may want to help out or even have their own plans. You do not need permission to post a hybrid but will likely receive a reminder to notify the artists if your topic is approved.

I also saw a situation in DR once where someone suggested to make dragons based on nudibranches. One site artist came into the thread and aggressively demanded that work on all of them be stopped because they were already working on one single nudibranch-based concept in the artists' section. And no compromise deemed to be acceptable to them (like them telling the people involved in the thread which *one* nudibranch to avoid. If things had gone their way, the whole thread would have to be shut down.

The thing is, even if TJ bought the sprites, he'd probably still defer to artists' wishes, because he doesn't want to ruffle feathers.

Speaking as a mod:

There is a reason I did not leave Kila's post on the forum.  It was a drama filled mess and I knew it would cause issues.  Considering a lot of her post was designed to ruffle feathers (and it not surprisingly did) I kept only the important part and let it be.  That's the exact reason "They are my babies and I don't care about what the majority of users think" was deleted.  Please don't rehash it.  This attitude doesn't go far here.

First off:  the artist agreement.  This is public knowledge - it has been linked in the Dragon Request section for years.  Any new artist has to sign this before their stuff can be released.  This prevents the exact kind of thing Kila was talking about from happening.  It came into play after Dove's threat which went over like a lead balloon.

Speaking as an artist:

DC's art is copyrighted to the artist who made it.  This does not mean that once it is released we can do whatever we want with it - per the artist agreement.  We have given over usage to TJ.  It's an agreement that we are using our art for the betterment of the site.  We do have some control over what happens to the breeds, etc - but it's more to add flavor to the game and not to be mean spirited.  Wouldn't have much of a game if it was like that all the time.

From observation, TJ does try to respect wishes that are within reason, but that doesn't mean anything we say about the dragons will happen.  For example, my initial plan was to have Sunrises be all female and Sunsets all male, and the gender of the hatchling would determine which one you got.  However, I like how it was implemented much better.

Incidents like what happened with the Frills and Pinks are few and far between, and we've definitely come to understand that retiring widespread things is generally a bad idea.

7 minutes ago, LadyLyzar said:

Speaking as a mod:

There is a reason I did not leave Kila's post on the forum.  It was a drama filled mess and I knew it would cause issues.  Considering a lot of her post was designed to ruffle feathers (and it not surprisingly did) I kept only the important part and let it be.  That's the exact reason "They are my babies and I don't care about what the majority of users think" was deleted.  Please don't rehash it.  This attitude doesn't go far here.

First off:  the artist agreement.  This is public knowledge - it has been linked in the Dragon Request section for years.  Any new artist has to sign this before their stuff can be released.  This prevents the exact kind of thing Kila was talking about from happening.  It came into play after Dove's threat which went over like a lead balloon.

Speaking as an artist:

DC's art is copyrighted to the artist who made it.  This does not mean that once it is released we can do whatever we want with it - per the artist agreement.  We have given over usage to TJ.  It's an agreement that we are using our art for the betterment of the site.  We do have some control over what happens to the breeds, etc - but it's more to add flavor to the game and not to be mean spirited.  Wouldn't have much of a game if it was like that all the time.

From observation, TJ does try to respect wishes that are within reason, but that doesn't mean anything we say about the dragons will happen.  For example, my initial plan was to have Sunrises be all female and Sunsets all male, and the gender of the hatchling would determine which one you got.  However, I like how it was implemented much better.

Incidents like what happened with the Frills and Pinks are few and far between, and we've definitely come to understand that retiring widespread things is generally a bad idea.

thank your for your balanced answer, I agree with what you said. sorry for posting that it wasn't my intention in the beginning.

I hope the fears I addressed  are shared by others and not just me... I find comforting to see that what I'm saying is jut not entirely deniable. I think i have a common ground with other users who sees stuff the way I do. The base of a community is to find those people, that's why I felt like I had to express myself.

Even if my tone was harsh it never meant to offend or being rude. The post could be resumed in the OP with: Users being aware if the decision is supported/denied/opposed by the Spriter.

Artists are a great resource to this game, it depends largely on them how it goes. They can have smart ideas on how to make a dragon, both of concept, look and breed mechanics, they help during event like the one we are having now, which are so nicely and detailed that it is impossible to not appreciate them. It just seems that for someone the Artist Agreement goes beyond what it is written and their influence is relevant enough to be noticed.

I'm glad i have been able to express myself, we could move on on the stuff that were mentioned before: I saw a lot of TJ's activity in "We want forum's feedback" which was truly a positive attitude. I believe mods and TJ were both very helpful in short-topic conversation. But what about the other forum sections?

I made a quick search in Suggestion tread, these are the top 3 discussed topics. (that have not being closed or answered already and do not involve feedback).

I believe people are more curious to know if their words lead to any useful suggestions who could interest TJ:

Trader's Canyon

Unfreezing

Lift CB Valentine / Christmas Limit?

Just imagine if more than one person in the whole world knew if the new dragons were supposed to be male or female?  If the mods had more info, they be telling us instantly if the female hatchlings are a glitch.  That would be kinda cool, wouldn't it?

Oh c'mon - we all know. There's just a glitch XD

Do we? Do we really? Because last time there was a gendering glitch in a Holiday, fogballs happened.

e: Yeah, maybe that aspect of the code was changed... but WHY? That would be a nice immediate indicator that something is wrong.

Edited by Guillotine

8 hours ago, Naruhina_94 said:

They can decide to simply ignore the basic collecting rules of DC

Um, what, exactly, are the basic collecting rules as you see them?

12 minutes ago, Imzadi said:

Um, what, exactly, are the basic collecting rules as you see them?

I was wondering that... I thought we just get to collect whatever we choose to collect...

Well, it used to be so that you could collect everything - at least in theory, and not necessarily CB. Then came vamps (then without BSA) and SAs - both Snow Angels and Spriter's alts: The alts for pumpkins and yulebuck (and, I think, Val '09) got assigned later on, after Snow Angels were the first breed to have an alt for the spriters. (I might be wrong about the Val '09, though.)